Menu

Today I learned

Terabith

I knew how cranberries grow, BUT I DID NOT kNOW ABOUT THE SPIDERS!!!

I am pretty chill when it comes to spiders, I mean I like to know what kind they are and definitely prefer them on the outside of my house, but I would not be cool with them climbing all over me. That’s the stuff of nightmares. 

Note to self: never again complain about the cost or scarcity of fresh cranberries. 

Also, a question: how far ahead can I buy fresh cranberries and have them still be good to cook down a day or two before thanksgiving day? Past few seasons I’ve waited too long and stores ran out before I could get any, so I want to buy early this year. 

• Like 2

Just now, Grace Hopper said:

Also, a question: how far ahead can I buy fresh cranberries and have them still be good to cook down a day or two before thanksgiving day? Past few seasons I’ve waited too long and stores ran out before I could get any, so I want to buy early this year. 

Now.  You can buy them now.

The things tend to stay good for about 2 months in a cold dry place. They're pretty hardy.  We buy a large bag of local ones (about the size of a 5lb bag of flour), stick them in the fridge, and use them all through the month in scones, cheesecake topping, cranberry sauce, and then finish it up in December with a candy I make that's like Turkish Delight, only a cranberry-walnut version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I guess cranberry farmer is out of the question for me as a potential career.

Yeah, I think of myself as fine with spiders.  Spiders in my yard?  Awesome!  Spiders in my basement?  Um, I'm not thrilled, but can probably live with them.  Hundreds of them on my head and face?  That's a solid no from me.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 10:59 AM, Grace Hopper said:

I had that happen to me years ago, so I now buy them as soon as they appear and freeze them. I have noticed no difference in using them from frozen (I do not thaw before I cook them).