Menu

Halloween costume help

Elizabeth86

My ds2 wants to be Gandalf for Halloween. I’ve found this one https://www.halloweencostumes.com/the-hobbit-kids-gandalf-costume.html?mpid=63148?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjw7eSZBhB8EiwA60kCW3UyHC1q6ZDXniTVm2yyKHTKOZ3UNebmQv421k6ypuaU2LSxdZzNKhoCy-4QAvD_BwE , but yikes I don’t want to pay $55 for that. The beard isn’t even included. I also cannot see. Where can I find a cheaper gray wizard robe and hat? Child size medium.

Edited by Elizabeth86

1 minute ago, Starr said:

Sorry I forgot to add that he will probably need a medium or maybe large. He usually fits medium.

You said you can't sew but are you at all crafty? How old is your ds? Like, is he old enough to be careful in the costume (as in simply walking around), or is he still the age where he would be running all over the place in it?

If he's on the older side and would simply be walking around in it, I would get a gray bed sheet (flannel would be neat for this costume), some of that craft polyfill stuff for pillows, and the iron-on tape stuff for hemming.

Cut the sheet and 'sew' it with the double stick tape. Cut the hat and make it stand up using the pillow filling (you will want to wedge a small piece of fabric in there across the 'bottom', or fill a pillow case with it or something to wedge in while full, so it doesn't slowly fall out while wearing.)  If you can at least sew on a button, I would just put some simple stitches along the seams of the robe to help reinforce the sticky tape. If you can't do that, then I would probably use extra tape.

Gorilla tape or carpet tape might also work here. Those are super, super sticky.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

You said you can't sew but are you at all crafty? How old is your ds? Like, is he old enough to be careful in the costume (as in simply walking around), or is he still the age where he would be running all over the place in it?

If he's on the older side and would simply be walking around in it, I would get a gray bed sheet (flannel would be neat for this costume), some of that craft polyfill stuff for pillows, and the iron-on tape stuff for hemming.

Cut the sheet and 'sew' it with the double stick tape. Cut the hat and make it stand up using the pillow filling (you will want to wedge a small piece of fabric in there across the 'bottom', or fill a pillow case with it or something to wedge in while full, so it doesn't slowly fall out while wearing.)  If you can at least sew on a button, I would just put some simple stitches along the seams of the robe to help reinforce the sticky tape. If you can't do that, then I would probably use extra tape.

Gorilla tape or carpet tape might also work here. Those are super, super sticky.

He is 9. I’m not at all crafty. Dh may be able to pull it off.

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

for that costume, we'd 100% hit up a thrift store looking for an adult shirt of a linen material that could look like a robe on a kid with some sort of belt tied around it.  Then we'd make the hat with felt and a glue gun or sewing. 

That was one of my thoughts, too, but I never had luck finding costume-type items before Halloween so I didn't bother mentioning it. Between Halloween and Christmas was when I always had the best luck. 

OP, if you have time to thrift, I'd definitely give it a shot! 

37 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

That was one of my thoughts, too, but I never had luck finding costume-type items before Halloween so I didn't bother mentioning it. Between Halloween and Christmas was when I always had the best luck. 

OP, if you have time to thrift, I'd definitely give it a shot! 

We have amazing luck finding pieces needed at thrift stores. But we also have like 5 within our weekly driving route that we can pop in real quick when needed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Yep, thrift stores are great for DIY costumes. Any sort of robe or such could become a wizard robe. I was in my local thrift store yesterday and found a black graduation gown. I almost bought it to have on hand for any Hogwarts costume or…so many uses!

Reuse graduation gowns. Those dumb things are filling landfills everywhere. I was going to donate DS's to his alma mater for this coming year figuring it would save one student from having to pay an ungodly price for one in 2023. Nope. They are changing the gown for this year, and no one will be allowed to wear last year's model. 😠😠😠 So if you know someone with a recent college graduate, go ask them for a donation of gown to your Halloween cause.

I am cutting it apart and turning it into weed barrier. But I am not happy about it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Reuse graduation gowns. Those dumb things are filling landfills everywhere. I was going to donate DS's to his alma mater for this coming year figuring it would save one student from having to pay an ungodly price for one in 2023. Nope. They are changing the gown for this year, and no one will be allowed to wear last year's model. 😠😠😠 So if you know someone with a recent college graduate, go ask them for a donation of gown to your Halloween cause.

I am cutting it apart and turning it into weed barrier. But I am not happy about it. 

My high school gown from 1998 got cut down/hemmed to become a Rom Weasley costume about 8 years ago. 😂 But now it’s too short for any of my teens, so I’m always looking for a black one to scoop up for cheap. 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

We have amazing luck finding pieces needed at thrift stores. But we also have like 5 within our weekly driving route that we can pop in real quick when needed.

I'm jealous!!

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Yep, thrift stores are great for DIY costumes. Any sort of robe or such could become a wizard robe. I was in my local thrift store yesterday and found a black graduation gown. I almost bought it to have on hand for any Hogwarts costume or…so many uses!

That's a great idea. A gray graduation gown.

• Like 1

If more than one person if your family is buying a costume, sometimes places like Spirit Halloween offer a coupon good on $X purchase. 

I'd start tracking all wizard costumes I like found on Amazon on camelcamelcamel to get an alert if the price drops. https://camelcamelcamel.com/Hobbit-Gandalf-Grey-Child-Costume/product/B007FA55G2 Not sure if that link will work. 

Can you post on social media asking if anyone has anything similar? Or maybe one component. 

That is definitely tricky. 

I would click "Notify me when it's back" on this Target one: https://www.target.com/p/rubies-the-hobbit-gandalf-child-costume/-/A-80786831

And if you have a redcard I would purchase with that for 5% off. And if they run any costume coupons on the target app, I'd apply that to the order as well if it comes back in stock.