Menu

If you're willing to identify your denominational or religious affiliation or lack of one...

MercyA

I am a Christian, and I've loved Jesus as long as I can remember. I was raised Southern Baptist in small, country churches. I went to a Pentecostal college and joined the Church of God (based in Cleveland, TN) while there. Dh was was raised Pentecostal, and we went to Church of God churches or non-denominational churches until ds entered middle school.

We went to a Southern Baptist church throughout ds's middle and high school years because he isn't comfortable with some aspects of Pentecostal churches. We attend a Church of God now, but it is the least Pentecostal church we have attended. He is totally comfortable there when he visits, and we really enjoy the church. Ds and his gf attend a non-denominational church while they are at college, but  I'm sure it isn't Pentecostal. He likes it because the pastor preaches on such an intellectual level.  

Dd has gone from practically being a full atheist to believing there is a spiritual dimension and some kind of supreme being. Obviously, we pray she will continue to seek out truth because we know it is there to be found. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

When I was in the military 100 years ago, you could choose “Christian no denomination”

When he first enlisted that is what he did, but this was some other paperwork more recently when he was moving to his new base.  I am not sure exactly what it was for.  He is always filling out something new it seems like.  Hopefully that slows down now that he is posted at a station.

Christian.

I was raised Catholic, as in my grandparents made sure I was baptized, learned Bible stories, attended church during important holidays, and attended catechism classes so I could go through First Communion. Growing up I went to Catholic Summer Camp every year until I was a teen. I never attended church every week, or went thought Confirmation. My mom was/is an atheist. 

My husband was raised Baptist, but as an adult joined the Disciples of Christ Church.  We both   joined the United Methodist Church when our children were little. We raised our children in the UMC and we are still members of the this domination. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:58 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I married a cradle catholic and converted. We are currently fairly lapsed. My dd’s husband was raised Baptist (how? I moved to a blue state and everything!) but she is corrupting him with wine and choral music. 

Choirs are acceptable in Baptist circles. I'm confused, lol! 

On 9/8/2022 at 10:08 PM, fairfarmhand said:

Yes, I've listened to Leaving Eden. I don't listen all the time because I don't need to dwell on all of that. We still have family members in fundy land and  it kinda makes my head spin and I have to bite my tongue from time to time. 

I was just telling my dh and kids that I knew people at churches who had reservations about the song "Father Abraham" (had many sons, and many sons had father abraham...) where you swung your arms and stamped your feet and stuff because it was too close to dancing. 

I grew up adjacent to fundamentalism and went a more fundamentalist school K-7. I think I was fortunate that many of the folks there were gracious toward their less fundamentalist friends and attenders. 

In fact, I have super fundie relatives who are super gracious people. I wouldn't want to live with their rules, but they managed to rear two children who chose different paths, and they still have strong relationships. They'd wear their culottes, and we'd wear our shorts, and we were all okay. They didn't try to convert us or pressure us into their more stringent beliefs. They didn't shun us. If we had activities that involved co-ed swimming, they found something else to do without making a big deal (though I think with family, they usually stuck around even if they didn't swim). They loved to dance, just privately and only with their spouse. They would even go to our less fundie church when they visited.

It doesn't mean I don't have some concerns/baggage, but I am always surprised at how strident and difficult some people's upbringings were in that movement. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, StillStanding said:

Christian.

I was raised Catholic, as in my grandparents made sure I was baptized, learned Bible stories, attended church during important holidays, and attended catechism classes so I could go through First Communion. Growing up I went to Catholic Summer Camp every year until I was a teen. I never attended church every week, or went thought Confirmation. My mom was/is an atheist. 

My husband was raised Baptist, but as an adult joined the Disciples of Christ Church.  We both   joined the United Methodist Church when our children were little. We raised our children in the UMC and we are still members of the this domination. 

I was raised in a very devout Catholic home and this is the first time I’ve ever heard of Catholic summer camp. I didn’t even know it was a thing. What part of the US did your grow up in?