Menu

High B12?

ktgrok

My labs came back and my B12 is again high, and actually higher than last time. Now, I DO take a bariatric vitamin that is REALLY high in B12, so it may be that...but the body is supposed to clear that out via urine. And I'm obviously not. So...um...google says that 20% of people with high B12 have a solid tumor! And others have some other problem, like liver disease, blood disorders (my labs are fine - both liver and CBC), autoimmune disease, etc. 

So, now I'm concerned! I sent an email to my bariatric doctor, as he is also a GI surgeon, and they did my liver ultrasound years ago before I had surgery. And a liver ultrasound is one test that may be needed with high b12. And I'll message my primary who ordered the tests. But um...anyone know anything about this? My grandmother had non hodgkins lympoma, and my mom, a smoker, had lung cancer, but no other cancers in the family. I JUST had my pap smear, it was negative. Have an order to schedule my first mammogram, but breast exam at gyn was good, nothing odd found. Will hurry and schedule that I guess. 

But yeah, yikes!

Also, going to stop taking the vitamins for now!

17 minutes ago, Selkie said:

It is possible for B12 to go too high because of supplementation. You might need to switch to a lower amount.

I'm definitely going to stop taking it for now. My folate level is also pretty high - normal is greater than 5 ng/ML and mine are consitently greater than 24. So hopefully it is just that my vitamins have a lot of B vitamins, i hope!

My B12 was high when last checked. My doctor said that it's not an issue, since the body will eliminate it through urine. I don't think that means that the level can't go over 100% (so it's possible for labs to read high levels), but  it won't rise to a level that would be harmful. But I changed my B12 supplement to 3 times per week, instead of daily.

I wouldn't worry about tumors, if it were me. I'd just cut down on the supplement.

• Like 1

So, for the first time ever Reddit calmed me down instead of wound me up, lol. Turns out a LOT of people have high B12 from supplementing. And then I went and looked at the actual levels in the bariatric vitamins. Um...it has over 40,000 times the RDA!!!! That's because MOST people with bariatric surgery have trouble absorbing it...but I guess I don't, lol. 

I stopped them (obviously). I will ask PCP to recheck in a few weeks - should only take about a week for levels to drop from what I'm reading. If they do NOT drop, then I'll push for further testing - liver ultrasound, potentially abdominal CT, etc as if it isn't from the vitamins the next most likely cause is liver disease or solid tumor or blood cancer (but I have normal CBC so that should be unlikely). 

But hopefully it is the vitamins. 

Also, symptoms of excess vitamin B12 are high blood pressure (check), anxiety (check), sleep issues (check), muscle/joint pain (check), etc etc. So, I may have been paying 50 bucks a bottle to feel bad for the past few years!!!! 

For now, I'll just take iron and vitamin D!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ditto said:

What kind doctor you have to e-mail you back so promptly.  We need more drs like that.   I'm glad there is a plan in place and that he is on top of things.  I also hope you start feeling better as your level drops.

He really is fantastic. I had to stay longer than expected in the hospital after surgery and he came in on the weekend with his young son in tow to check on me. And ordered a little known drug that fixed the weird post op issue I was having. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

He really is fantastic. I had to stay longer than expected in the hospital after surgery and he came in on the weekend with his young son in tow to check on me. And ordered a little known drug that fixed the weird post op issue I was having. 

I am super impressed with this guy!  Not only for his wonderful bedside manner and dedication to his patients, but for also going the extra mile to find that medication for you.    We should all be so lucky to have such dedicated physicians caring for us.     On top of all of this, he actually bothered to come in to see you when he was caring for his young son.  I think he is more unicorn than dr!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I am super impressed with this guy!  Not only for his wonderful bedside manner and dedication to his patients, but for also going the extra mile to find that medication for you.    We should all be so lucky to have such dedicated physicians caring for us.     On top of all of this, he actually bothered to come in to see you when he was caring for his young son.  I think he is more unicorn than dr!

Definitely. He also discharged me a bit before technically should have, with my agreement, as there was some kind of intestinal bug going around the floor. At that point I was only stuck there because I couldn't get down as much fluids as they wanted, but my IV had blown AGAIN (4th time in 4 days) and rather than put in ANOTHER one, he just made me promise to keep drinking as much as I could, and go home rather than stay, get stuck again, and possibly catch C-diff or whatever was making the rounds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Wow, my bariatric surgeon emailed me back - on the weekend! Said to stop the vitamin, and recheck in 3 months. 

That it awesome that he got back to you on the weekend!  I take 40,000 times and can barely keep my levels in the middle range.  Fingers crossed everything checks out in 3 months and it's just less pills you need to take. 🙂