Menu

Car detail question ** UPDATE **

sheryl

We had our suv detailed today.  They did a great job but it was pricier than we thought it would be.  

So that we don't pay out that much money again for this service and to keep our interior looking new-like, does anyone here have any ideas what products are used specifically for glass, vinyl and leather?  The glass had no streaks.  We've tried newspaper, soap/water, red cider vinegar but those have never yielded the look the detailers offered today.  We didn't ask because they would not tell us what they used.  The leather was cleaned and looked nice!  And, the vinyl once again looked restored and new: dark, moist, etc.   

I'm REALLY hoping someone here has some answers.  Maybe you're a car detailer or know someone who is.  Thanks!

Edited by sheryl

Microfiber rags for detailing

window squeegee for perfect windows ( wipe it with a microfiber rag) 

Chemical guys products for outside and 303 for the dash and other inside.  I use windex or it’s alternative for windows 

Cleaning putty for those tiny places   
TeSabMi Cleaning Gel Car Accessories Car Cleaning Kit Car Detailing Kit Automotive Dust Car Crevice Cleaner Air Vent Interior Detail Removal Putty Cleaning Keyboard Cleaner for Car Vents, PC Yellow https://a.co/d/edHYzqy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’ve never tried their tips but maybe a year ago a DS got really into YouTube car videos. I’m sure there’s dozens of DIY detailing ones out there. 

Katy, right.   After I posted this that idea came to me.   Still, if anyone here has first hand knowledge I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say.  THanks

5 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Microfiber rags for detailing

window squeegee for perfect windows ( wipe it with a microfiber rag) 

Chemical guys products for outside and 303 for the dash and other inside.  I use windex or it’s alternative for windows 

Cleaning putty for those tiny places   
TeSabMi Cleaning Gel Car Accessories Car Cleaning Kit Car Detailing Kit Automotive Dust Car Crevice Cleaner Air Vent Interior Detail Removal Putty Cleaning Keyboard Cleaner for Car Vents, PC Yellow https://a.co/d/edHYzqy

I will look in to each one.  Windex streaks.  Need something else for glass.  🙂  

303 is used for what material?  Vinyl?  Leather?

Just now, sheryl said:

I will look in to each one.  Windex streaks.  Need something else for glass.  🙂  

303 is used for what material?  Vinyl?  Leather?

Try the squeegee. No streaks

303 is used on plastic and vinyl.  Leather I use leather 911.  A local classic car shop turned me on to it. Fantastic product.  Even removed the pen marks from the leather DH forgot he had in his back pocket .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Try the squeegee. No streaks

303 is used on plastic and vinyl.  Leather I use leather 911.  A local classic car shop turned me on to it. Fantastic product.  Even removed the pen marks from the leather DH forgot he had in his back pocket .

Thanks for this!  I will add them to the consideration list!

One summer, I had three cars to sell.

For youtube car detailing videos . . . 
i would recommend  Ammo NYC.  He has a list, and does high end cars.  (including some that have been garaged - and not driven - for decades)

the detail geek

stauffer garage if you want dramatic before and after.   He has some good info.

There are many others, most are . . . . meh.  

I had the 3m clear protectors put on.  bumpers, mirror housing, door edges. front hood, etc.   It's great protection from rock chips.

gak - similar is great for cleaning out crevices.

Most of the stuff sold in your local autoparts store . . . the detailers don't use.

Chemical guys

Meguilers

were the brands I came across the most in detail vids.

get good brushes.  I couldn't believe the difference after cleaning my leather seats with them.  (leather cleaner AND a leather conditioner)

oh - I even learned I could use leather paint to touch up my leather steering wheel.  Looked great when I was done.

If you have a little green clean machine - it's much easier to wash carpets.  extraction is very important. I also got a separate sprayer instead of relying upon the lgcm.

I had to try different things to get bumper stickers off.  

the fact the rear seats were made to come out of my van - made my life easier. . . . 

thought RIGHT AFTER I detailed the van . . . . 1ds spilled a thing of pop on the carpet so I had to clean that area all over again.  And because he was so distracted by the spill - he didn't *turn off the car all the way*, and left the keys in the ignition.  I came out to a dead battery . . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

One summer, I had three cars to sell.

For youtube car detailing videos . . . 
i would recommend  Ammo NYC.  He has a list, and does high end cars.  (including some that have been garaged - and not driven - for decades)

the detail geek

stauffer garage if you want dramatic before and after.   He has some good info.

There are many others, most are . . . . meh.  

I had the 3m clear protectors put on.  bumpers, mirror housing, door edges. front hood, etc.   It's great protection from rock chips.

gak - similar is great for cleaning out crevices.

Most of the stuff sold in your local autoparts store . . . the detailers don't use.

Chemical guys

Meguilers

were the brands I came across the most in detail vids.

get good brushes.  I couldn't believe the difference after cleaning my leather seats with them.  (leather cleaner AND a leather conditioner)

oh - I even learned I could use leather paint to touch up my leather steering wheel.  Looked great when I was done.

If you have a little green clean machine - it's much easier to wash carpets.  extraction is very important. I also got a separate sprayer instead of relying upon the lgcm.

I had to try different things to get bumper stickers off.  

the fact the rear seats were made to come out of my van - made my life easier. . . . 

thought RIGHT AFTER I detailed the van . . . . 1ds spilled a thing of pop on the carpet so I had to clean that area all over again.  And because he was so distracted by the spill - he didn't *turn off the car all the way*, and left the keys in the ignition.  I came out to a dead battery . . . .

Yes, thanks for that.  After itsheresomewhere's last reply and before reading yours, I watched 3 YT tutorials.  The first one I watched was stauffer garage.  He was quite good.  So, leather "cleaner" AND leather "conditioner".   I'm not sure how much $$ we'll invest as we do drive older cars.  But, my 2010 Highlander looks new again (except the few scratches on the exterior).  Chemical Guys for the leather cleaner and cond?

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Used Chemical Guys TVD 107 on the tires, dash, and all plastic parts on my wife's and son's cars for the first time and I earned a few "bonus points." Very happy with the results. Not sure how it compares with 303. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FJIT9BO?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Bill

OK, Bill, thanks! Late here but will add to list and check tomorrow.  What did you use for glass, vinyl?  Leather?

I like mcquires for a quick clean up. 

A clean microfiber rag and soap/water followed by 303 for more intense dash cleaning.

Leather Honey cleaner and conditioner. Used with microfiber cleaning pads to remove old debris before conditioning old dirt into leather. 

Carpet shampooer to really get carpet clean and extract dirt. 

Chemical guys cleaner for rubber for mats and water spot cleaner for headlights. 

Tire polish ( prob chemical guys brand) but I don’t remember. 

Grease cleaner for wheels . Don’t remember brand. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Used Chemical Guys TVD 107 on the tires, dash, and all plastic parts on my wife's and son's cars for the first time and I earned a few "bonus points." Very happy with the results. Not sure how it compares with 303. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FJIT9BO?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Bill

So I looked up 303 and discovered that's what I used the last time. LOL

Both are good. To me the finish on the Chemical Brothers is more natural looking, a bit less shiny,  and less greasy feeling  than the 303 (which really which isn't bad).

Did my wife's car two weeks ago. Got into it today and thought, "dang, this looks good."

Bill

• Thanks 1

https://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-Glass-Cleaner-15-Ounce/dp/B07K1ZD36P/

Sprayway Glass Cleaner & a microfiber cloth - you'll be streak free!

Smells awful, though, so make sure you aren't in your garage or something - good ventilation is a must.

Is it safe on tinted windows?

Safe on OEM tinted windows. If using on aftermarket-tinted windows, test in an inconspicuous spot before use.

• Thanks 1

I use the Chemical Guys VRP--- for the interior. Works great and doesn't leave a strong bad smell either.

It's much easier to keep one clean than to get it clean. I got a newer car and although 4 yrs old it still looked new. It's not too much effort to keep it looking that way (helps a lot I no longer have little kids 🙂 ).

• Thanks 1

We have had great luck using two microfiber towels with just water on windows.  Use a chunky one to scrub, then a fine dry one (meant for windows) to dry.  Clean and streak-free.  It seemed too simple to be true, but it is.  Works on household windows too.  Just replace your cleaning water very frequently.  It might take 2-3 iterations the first time you do it to cut through all previous waxy coats.  We had one car that we had to use dish soap on first to cut previous wax, but once that was done, the water/towel method worked for all future cleanings.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skimomma said:

We have had great luck using two microfiber towels with just water on windows.  Use a chunky one to scrub, then a fine dry one (meant for windows) to dry.  Clean and streak-free.  It seemed too simple to be true, but it is.  Works on household windows too.  Just replace your cleaning water very frequently.  It might take 2-3 iterations the first time you do it to cut through all previous waxy coats.  We had one car that we had to use dish soap on first to cut previous wax, but once that was done, the water/towel method worked for all future cleanings.

do you have a link for a good one?

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

do you have a link for a good one?

https://us.e-cloth.com/products/10615-window-cleaning-pack

This is the kit I bought about 10 years ago.  It looks the same.  I have been using it ever since and it has changed my window life!

Just remember that most windows and mirrors have been exposed to Windex-like waxy stuff so you have to cut that first.  Once that is gone (I used dish soap) I never had to do it again.  I'm guessing I could also have just e-clothed it a few times for the same results.

Edited by skimomma
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skimomma said:

https://us.e-cloth.com/products/10615-window-cleaning-pack

This is the kit I bought about 10 years ago.  It looks the same.  I have been using it ever since and it has changed my window life!

Just remember that most windows and mirrors have been exposed to Windex-like waxy stuff so you have to cut that first.  Once that is gone (I used dish soap) I never had to do it again.  I'm guessing I could also have just e-clothed it a few times for the same results.

But, is there anything to cut through since car was detailed yesteday?

1 minute ago, sheryl said:

But, is there anything to cut through since car was detailed yesteday?

What I have seen happen is that the window can get smeary when trying to clean (with anything, really) because there is wax sitting on the surface. YMMV.  It really depends on what they used and how much your car interior off-gases.  I would try it first and see what happens.  Nothing to lose.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skimomma said:

What I have seen happen is that the window can get smeary when trying to clean (with anything, really) because there is wax sitting on the surface. YMMV.  It really depends on what they used and how much your car interior off-gases.  I would try it first and see what happens.  Nothing to lose.

I appreciate that! Thanks so much!  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now focusing on this post in detail.  itsheresomewhere, you mentioned squeegee with microfiber towel.  For windows (interior and exterior) you use window/alternative, squeegee and wipe down with microfiber towel?  But, how do you keep the window from "run off" inside?  

3 hours ago, sheryl said:

I'm now focusing on this post in detail.  itsheresomewhere, you mentioned squeegee with microfiber towel.  For windows (interior and exterior) you use window/alternative, squeegee and wipe down with microfiber towel?  But, how do you keep the window from "run off" inside?  

After every swipe with the squeegee, wipe the squeegee with the microfiber cloth.  Maybe I am faster at doing windows from all the years of training at a young age ( I wanted to watch the Saturday morning cartoons lol), but I don’t have run off.  A few sprays of cleaner is all you need and use the scrub side of the squeegee.  If you do have a nice dog nose print, I do wipe that with a cloth first with window cleaner to scrub the print away as I find a really good nose print needs a bit more of a scrub first. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

After every swipe with the squeegee, wipe the squeegee with the microfiber cloth.  Maybe I am faster at doing windows from all the years of training at a young age ( I wanted to watch the Saturday morning cartoons lol), but I don’t have run off.  A few sprays of cleaner is all you need and use the scrub side of the squeegee.  If you do have a nice dog nose print, I do wipe that with a cloth first with window cleaner to scrub the print away as I find a really good nose print needs a bit more of a scrub first. 

OK, then, got that!   Noted!  Much appreciated!

• Like 1

• sheryl changed the title to Car detail question ** UPDATE **

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

I decided to google making a homemade batch of the automotive cleaning gel and found a couple of good recipes.  There is one I favor over the other but since DH and I will "probably" need to clean out the cars a bit with an easy technique I decided to make our own.  $5-10 is cheap but when we need to use it as much as we will probably need to, it will hopefully be more economical to make our own. There is the cost of supplies, of course, but the supplies will make the equivalent of several jars of the store bought for same price.  Instead of our 1 and done jar for $5-10 we'll spend that on supplies and have quite a bit to use.   Wanted to mention that in case anyone is interested.   I've heard using food coloring may discolor the interior so I'm looking to add maybe 1 drop of blue so it will be ever so faint.  Hopefully it won't discolor.  

Still need to buy the other products mentioned, products for leather, vinyl, towels for windows, etc.  We did buy 2 of the "rakes" that ITSHERESOMEWHERE first mentioned.   Have yet to use these but it looks like it will work on the car's carpet.   Thanks again!  We'll get the other detail products but this year has been a busy one for us and it will settle down a bit now.