Menu

Hot tubs…..tell me the good, the bad of owning one

Ottakee

I have wanted a hot tub for 20 years and am finally in the position that I can afford to get one.   

I am looking at a smaller 3-4 person model.  I am in Michigan but it would be under a roof and out of the elements.

do you love yours, hate it?  What do you wish you had or what features do you never use?   Any Best Buy brands to consider?   I don’t care about color/looks but rather about function, reliability, ease of use, and energy efficient.

the ones I looked at today the salesman said run about $30/ month for electric and chemicals/filters a month.  That is doable as I think I would likely use it 20-30 days a month.   

The water feels so good for my arthritic knees (boy do I sound old).

so what says the hive?

We got a hot tub three years ago and I love it.  It is a smaller, square, four-person model.  I do not know how much it is costing us to operate because we got it when we moved to a new house and have no comparison pre-and post-hot tub.  I am also in a much hotter climate; over the summer we have more of a problem of heat creep in which the hot tub will be warmer than our heat setting.  We clean the filter regularly but have not had to replace it yet. 

We have a foldback cover and opted for a cover tilter/holder (I am not sure what to call it) and are very glad that we did that.  It makes covering and uncovering the hot tub much easier.  Without it I am not sure I would both as much.  We also got a simple step to ease getting in and out. 

We don't have any fancy features like blue tooth capability.

• Like 1

$30/month sounds amazing to run! When we moved into our house 4 years ago (southern Minnesota) it came with an outdoor hot tub.  We ran it the first three months we lived there and just our electric bill was $100/mo lower without it...and that was summer! At the end of the summer it needed a number of repairs to jets, etc (I think it was about 12 years old so not sure if this was because of age or if it's a common occurrence). We drained it and ended up getting rid of it.  Ours just was not affordable. 

ETA: the $100/month figure was also looking at what we spent for the same months the following summer when we were using a/c. We assume it would have cost more to run in the winter. 

Edited by kirstenhill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bootsie said:

We got a hot tub three years ago and I love it.  It is a smaller, square, four-person model.  I do not know how much it is costing us to operate because we got it when we moved to a new house and have no comparison pre-and post-hot tub.  I am also in a much hotter climate; over the summer we have more of a problem of heat creep in which the hot tub will be warmer than our heat setting.  We clean the filter regularly but have not had to replace it yet. 

We have a foldback cover and opted for a cover tilter/holder (I am not sure what to call it) and are very glad that we did that.  It makes covering and uncovering the hot tub much easier.  Without it I am not sure I would both as much.  We also got a simple step to ease getting in and out. 

We don't have any fancy features like blue tooth capability.

How often do you check the chemistry (for lack of a better word)? How hard is it to keep within range? 

We removed a beautiful hot tub when we moved in, but kept the pavilion and have considered putting one in again now that our kids are not small. We tried an inflatable one summer and keeping the chemistry right was a daily project. We may have done something wrong.

Other recent hot tub threads, fwiw:

Note on the "Anyone regret" thread that the numbers I quote as to our running costs are lower than the numbers I quote from this year in a different thread. The chemicals have gotten much more expensive (bromine tripled in price, and has now "dropped down" to about double of what we used to pay), and 2021 was the year we had to replace the motor, heating element, etc. This year we replaced cover. We had no repairs during the first years of our ownership. We believe the previous owners installed it in 2015, so it's 7 years old now.  I still keep a running average of costs (5 years worth of data now)...and so I'm sure of my numbers when I quote in the 2022 thread.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I forgot to add, fwiw, the hot tub is worth every penny.  It's been essential in managing my rheumatoid and osteo arthritis.  My yearly running costs are still way cheaper than if I had to switch medicines, and the pain relief really helps my quality of life.

This is one thing for me.  My mom was in a wheelchair almost full time by my age.  I have knee issues but hike and bike and kayak and swim, etc but the warm weather therapy would be so worth it to keep me moving and comfortable

• Like 1

I would expect probably $100 to 150 per month for ours. It is a Marquis and has a Frog chlorine system. The Frog cartridge doesn’t  last a full month and they are about $17 to 20 each. We live near a spa place that we get the water tested at for free. Small amounts of other chemicals are needed a few times per month. Test strips are good but the spa analysis gives us specific details on how much of each chemical to add. Soooo much easier. Im not sure about electricity usage but if we need to replace the water, it is enough that the water district sends a notice that we may have a leak lol I think it is 370 gallons (7 person).  Yearly filter ( less than a year really) is $50. 

I would probably talk to a place that sells chemicals (not spas) and ask what they know about brands/ costs and if there are any unexpected problems in your area. They may be more honest that a salesman 😃

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tap said:

I would probably talk to a place that sells chemicals (not spas) and ask what they know about brands/ costs and if there are any unexpected problems in your area. They may be more honest that a salesman 😃

I plan on calling my friends hot tub repair guy tomorrow too…and Al him which tubs he doesn’t need to work on much and which ones are easier to repair, etc.

6 hours ago, Ottakee said:

@Bootsie do you know what brand you have?   I need a smaller one to fit the area I have but I also want reliable and easy to care for.   The ones I am looking at have a package with the steps and cover and cover lift

We have an American Whirlpool.  We decided to go with a spa/hot tub dealer to make sure that we got it all set up correctly, but we went with one of the cheapest models there is.  Fortunately, in three years we have not had any repairs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

How often do you check the chemistry (for lack of a better word)? How hard is it to keep within range? 

We removed a beautiful hot tub when we moved in, but kept the pavilion and have considered putting one in again now that our kids are not small. We tried an inflatable one summer and keeping the chemistry right was a daily project. We may have done something wrong.

We have not found the chemistry hard to manage.  The more the tub is used, the more it needs to be checked, but then it is not much of a hassle to check when you are out using the tub anyway.   Also, the more that it is covered, the less that needs to be done to manage the chemistry because there isn't as much organic material entering to change the ph level or rain water entering to alter the balance.  We also find that if the filter is kept clean, it is easier to manage the chemicals.  The more people enter wearing lotions, hair products, and other oily items, the more work there is to keep the water clear.  We have been gone several weeks at a time and found we need to make little adjustment upon our return. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I would have one in a heartbeat if I could. My mom had one when I was a teenager and it did wonders for my pain. Now I'm older and have more pain but no hot tub! 😢

They can be more expensive to get rid of than to buy.

Buy efficient.

If I am going to do this, I am going to do it right and get a good, efficient one with great warranty and service and easy to maintain.

i just need to know which hot tub that is as there are so many options and of course, every one has the best and most efficient  out there

Fwiw, most heat loss happens through the top, not the sides. An insulated base helps, but you likely don’t want a full spray foam insulation inside the cabinet, it makes repairs difficult. 

The number of jets isn’t as important as the placement of them. In fact, having too many jets or improperly sized ones can be a strain on the motor (or your body). As a fun-sized (short) person, I cannot recommend actually climbing into the tubs and sitting enough. I can only use a few of the seats when the tub is completely full and keep my chin above water. My Viking sized husband experiences the tub very differently from me.

The cover lifter is essential. Ours broke and it made the tub nearly impossible to use. It was a long six month wait for new parts to come in.

Our dealer says it’s a 6-8 month wait for a new tub. You might also look at delivery dates as you shop around.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Fwiw, most heat loss happens through the top, not the sides. An insulated base helps, but you likely don’t want a full spray foam insulation inside the cabinet, it makes repairs difficult. 

The number of jets isn’t as important as the placement of them. In fact, having too many jets or improperly sized ones can be a strain on the motor (or your body). As a fun-sized (short) person, I cannot recommend actually climbing into the tubs and sitting enough. I can only use a few of the seats when the tub is completely full and keep my chin above water. My Viking sized husband experiences the tub very differently from me.

The cover lifter is essential. Ours broke and it made the tub nearly impossible to use. It was a long six month wait for new parts to come in.

Our dealer says it’s a 6-8 month wait for a new tub. You might also look at delivery dates as you shop around.

All good points.  I want a quality cover.  Our local store has 2 in stock I am considering.   

i keep seeing some used on FB marketplace and some are much lower priced but not sure I want to move one and risk it having damage and no warranty, etc.

43 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

They sell hot tub booster seats- my very short friend just got one for her new hot tub!!

lots of different ones on Amazon 

Joe & JoseRin Hot Tub Booster Seat with Non-Slip Micro Dot Bottom, Weighted Spa Booster Seat Cushion with 3D Air Mesh Cover for Adults and Kids, Quick Drying Hot Tub Accessories for Indoor or Outdoor https://a.co/d/a2GDsp9

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

They sell hot tub booster seats- my very short friend just got one for her new hot tub!!

lots of different ones on Amazon 

Joe & JoseRin Hot Tub Booster Seat with Non-Slip Micro Dot Bottom, Weighted Spa Booster Seat Cushion with 3D Air Mesh Cover for Adults and Kids, Quick Drying Hot Tub Accessories for Indoor or Outdoor https://a.co/d/a2GDsp9

This might be a good gift for my dd as she is only 4’10” as an adult

7 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Any pros and cons of bullfrog tubs with the jet packs?

We are getting a bull frog basic version but not the jet packs one. My neighbor did get the jet packs (the mid range one) and she likes it but only got it this summer. She said she probably won’t rearrange the jet packs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

We are getting a bull frog basic version but not the jet packs one. My neighbor did get the jet packs (the mid range one) and she likes it but only got it this summer. She said she probably won’t rearrange the jet packs.

It seems like you could just get 3 different jet packs and just change seats vs moving the jet packs.

I wonder though how you chose which jet packs you want?   With so many choices I would be second guessing myself if I picked the best ones.