Menu

Short piano pieces

Kanin

I'm on the hunt for piano pieces that are short enough to play when someone comes over and says, Oh, a piano! Play something!

I've been on a Chopin kick for about a year. I'd say I'm at a higher intermediate level. Probably not advanced because most Chopin is way over my head. Other favorite composers are Debussy and Schumann. I'd love some new finds!

Thanks!! 🎼🎶

I'd pick something like Fur Elise, and only play the first half. People don't necessarily to hear a long piece, and something well known is often more pleasing for a spontaneous thing.

Maybe have The Piano Man or a the Entertainer as an back up if something more widely known would be a better fit.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

My son loves playing things like the Death March from Star Wars, Let it Be by the Beetles, Something in the Way by Nirvana (in most recent Batman movie), hymns. He is really good at playing by ear, so this comes pretty easily to him.  

People love hearing familiar music, so pick something you like and if it is too long, learn the part you enjoy. When my son was younger I would use Sheetmusic.com to find the songs he liked at his playing level. 

Edited by Rachel
Removed a thought I hadn’t finished.
  • Like 2

The Avalanche (Heller) and Arabesque (Burgmueller) are short, impressive sounding, and intermediate level. I also like Clementi Sonatinas. 

I will say that I've gotten to the point that I tell people point blank that playing piano on demand is something I get paid for, not something I do for free. If you don't ask a plumber friend to look at your sink when they're over for dinner, don't ask a pianist friend to play just because there's a piano present. 

• Like 3

Tchaikovsky has some short pieces Arabian Dance from the Nutcracker isn't too hard. A lot of pieces from the Nutcracker are short and have been arranged for just a piano https://www.amazon.com/Nutcracker-Suite-Piano-Library-Vol/dp/0793552958/ref=asc_df_0793552958/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312038987516&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11498432823363303092&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032039&hvtargid=pla-731749385232&psc=1. I couldn't play all the pieces though, but I'm probably lower intermediate if that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

The Avalanche (Heller) and Arabesque (Burgmueller) are short, impressive sounding, and intermediate level. I also like Clementi Sonatinas. 

I will say that I've gotten to the point that I tell people point blank that playing piano on demand is something I get paid for, not something I do for free. If you don't ask a plumber friend to look at your sink when they're over for dinner, don't ask a pianist friend to play just because there's a piano present. 

I like both of these... Any suggestions for more difficult pieces? 

I agree with you about asking people to play. I would personally never ask unless I knew the person enjoyed it. Especially if it's their job that they do all day! 

Although I asked a dentist on here for dental advice so.... I'm a bit of a hypocrite 🤓

11 hours ago, Kanin said:

I've been on a Chopin kick for about a year. I'd say I'm at a higher intermediate level. Probably not advanced because most Chopin is way over my head. Other favorite composers are Debussy and Schumann. I'd love some new finds!

The following pieces are not too difficult yet have the potential to be showy.

Sweet Bye and Bye (Walter Stier)

Flower Song (Gustav Lange)

River Flows in You (Yiruma)

• Like 1

Chopin is my absolute favorite composer. There are some shorter pieces that might work. A couple polonaises and waltzes...it's been a long time so off the top of my head I don't know, but you can probably get a nice list to choose from if you google "best Chopin to start with" or something. Joplin is always fun for a crowd pleaser. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

Chopin is my absolute favorite composer.

Me too! I just came across a piece with six flats... I didn't even know that existed! LOL. I need to up my skillz. 

I have a handful of short Chopin pieces. I was just thinking that it would be good to branch out a bit. 

You also might want to look at the “Sessions” books by Andrea Dow. They’re pieces, usually fairly short, inspired by specific works, but with a more contemporary feel. Victress (Women composers) is my personal favorite (in part because it gives me a chance to introduce the originals to my students. They’re all early to late intermediate, and work up quite quickly. The easiest is the Amadeus Anthems, which is early intermediate, the hardest Sebastian. 

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=andrea+dow+sessions&crid=2WMU3LISZQ2F9&sprefix=Andrea+Dow+%2Caps%2C259&ref=nb_sb_ss_retrain-deeppltr_9_11

• Like 1

Not classical, but these are my favorite go to pieces.  They are a LOT of fun to play and sound impressive to the ear:

Fountain in the Rain 

Old MacDonald Had a Car

Dog Gone Boogie

.....all by David Carr Glover

I'm also enjoying First Lessons in Bach for the piano (Book 1) It has several very familiar minuets that are fun to play. They are not especially hard, but they are wonderful to listen to.

My favorite from Debussy is Clair De Lune....I cannot play this now, but it is on my bucket list to try one day.  

One more... Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach is so pretty. I'm using the version from Classical Piano Favorites published by Alfred Publishing.

I lied. 😅

Whistler and His Dog by Arthur Pryor  (Arranged by John W. Schaum) is another fun piece.

For Christmas, try Christmas with Style by Jerry Ray. Unbelievably complex sounding pieces that are not as hard as they sound. 

• Like 1

My sentimental favorite is C.P.E. Bach's Solfegietto. My mom was a good pianist, and she would play this when she had a few minutes, like waiting for kids to get ready to go somewhere. I tried to learn it when my kids were in their piano lesson years--got pretty far, but not the whole thing.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 7:09 PM, kristin0713 said:

Oh! Oh! There is a book series called Applause! Impressive Piano Solos for the Budding Virtuoso. The second volume has one of my favorites, Wedding Day at Troldhaugen by Grieg. Lots of other short and flashy pieces to choose from. Amazon has them. 

Thanks! I love that piece too. 

On 8/8/2022 at 7:48 PM, Ali in OR said:

My sentimental favorite is C.P.E. Bach's Solfegietto. My mom was a good pianist, and she would play this when she had a few minutes, like waiting for kids to get ready to go somewhere. I tried to learn it when my kids were in their piano lesson years--got pretty far, but not the whole thing.

That's a great song, and a wonderful memory of your mom 🙂 

• Like 1