Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~August 2022 Frugalistas~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

10 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Middle DD just started her junior year. She wants to go into nursing, so she's actually pretty easy to "shop for a college" for. She wants a small college/direct admit to nursing. Today was CTCL' fair (Colleges that Change Lives).

Youngest is a sophomore and has NO idea what she wants to do. She doesn't even know if she wants to go to college, but she doesn't know what else she wants to do. She may just start at the community college here.

Oldest is taking the year off to decide if she wants to return and to heal up her knee (surgery this summer) and apparently her shoulder now too!

That is great that your middle knows what she wants to do.  My oldest is the same age and has no idea really.  She might want to keep dancing or go to college.  She lived and spent time at a bunch of campuses this summer, so I think that gave her some ideas of different colleges (although she has spent most of her life in university town).  

• Like 1

It was a pretty expensive day. Thankfully, all on fun stuff. Just booked our flights and airbnb stay for Puerto Rico, about $1000.  Spent $150 on ren faire ticket for labor day weekend.  Spent $200 on an airbnb for near the ren faire because the next day we're doing a dusk til dawn movie marathon at a drive-in with the kids so since its 2 hours away we're just gonna stay in the area overnight.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

It was a pretty expensive day. Thankfully, all on fun stuff. Just booked our flights and airbnb stay for Puerto Rico, about $1000.  Spent $150 on ren faire ticket for labor day weekend.  Spent $200 on an airbnb for near the ren faire because the next day we're doing a dusk til dawn movie marathon at a drive-in with the kids so since its 2 hours away we're just gonna stay in the area overnight.

Are you doing both just the 2 of you?   That sounds like a great deal to PR.  How long are you guys staying?

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Are you doing both just the 2 of you?   That sounds like a great deal to PR.  How long are you guys staying?

PR is just dh and me. Ren faire, air bnb, and doing an all night movie drive in marathon the next day(which we haven't paid for yet) is for the whole family.

We're staying for 5 nights.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Oh, I forgot to say I got some $$ for my birthday and I splurged on a robot vacuum. He's awesome - I tell my kids that he's my favorite child now because he cleans LOL. Seriously, though, he is awesome. Surprisingly, middle DD is the one who is using him most because she loves to drive him. 

Happy Birthday!   That sounds like the best present.

• Like 1

Pretty low-key weekend here without a lot of opportunity to spend money. 😄  The kids and I volunteered at a major event yesterday and the 12yo found out that volunteers get free food from any of the vendors.  He tried every frozen yogurt they had during his shift, lol.  The oldest and I were too busy, so we made the executive decision to hit up Wendy's on the way home and get a couple of the Biggie Bags for us all.  $21, but absolutely worth it.

• Like 4

On 8/19/2022 at 4:13 PM, mommyoffive said:

Making all the doc/ortho/dentist apts before school starts.  Normally I would have already done the doctor ones for the kids, but we were gone the entire summer so apt fest starts next week.   Just called for eye ones and found out we haven't been in since 2014.  I feel horrible.  I didn't know it was that long ago.  They get quick eye checks at the doctor, but man I feel bad.

Do they wear glasses? 

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

No, not currently.  We will see if they need them.  I do however, and I haven't been since 2014.   Total fail.

Oh ok well it’ll be all right. If they did wear glasses I would guess they’d need new prescriptions. 

I don’t know if I noticed dd’s eye turn before or after the optometrist— she offered to look at dd for free when my son was there for his visit. I looked back at old photos and it was very subtle that the eyes were not symmetrical all the time. 

• Like 1

My landlord is going to reduce rent a little for Sept because I’m painting the areas around the new cabinet doors they just got in my home. That’ll be a chore. I have to do primer, too. 

Family Dollar was marking down clothes while I was in there — and they aren’t all out of season. I got these items for $5! 

image.thumb.png.6c9ade3f94b3fe6b29e381d4038d3d92.png

• Like 5

Through August 26th, head over to Chewy.com where you can score a free $30 eGift Card when you spend $100 on virtually anything for your dog when you use promo code DOGDAY at checkout! Even better, shipping is free on orders over $49 so you’ll score free shipping, too!

FREE $30 Chewy eGift Card w/ $100 Dog Supplies Purchase + Free Shipping | Save on Food, Toys, Beds, & More (hip2save.com)

• Like 1

some more pet savings

Love saving money on pet supplies? For a limited time, head on over to Amazon where they are offering a whopping $30 off a $100+ Select Pet Supplies purchase when you enter code E72C00AA at checkout!

$30 Off $100 Amazon Pet Coupon | BIG Savings on Dog Food (Purina One, Blue Buffalo & More) (hip2save.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

some more pet savings

Love saving money on pet supplies? For a limited time, head on over to Amazon where they are offering a whopping $30 off a $100+ Select Pet Supplies purchase when you enter code E72C00AA at checkout!

$30 Off $100 Amazon Pet Coupon | BIG Savings on Dog Food (Purina One, Blue Buffalo & More) (hip2save.com)

Thanks! I was able to get 90 lbs of my dog's food (Iams Large Breed) for $77, plus a $3 digital credit on my account. Normally, that much dog food would have cost almost $130!

Diggity-dog is going to be very excited when the Amazon driver shows up 🙂

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Thanks! I was able to get 90 lbs of my dog's food (Iams Large Breed) for $77, plus a $3 digital credit on my account. Normally, that much dog food would have cost almost $130!

Diggity-dog is going to be very excited when the Amazon driver shows up 🙂

That is an amazing deal!!  Yay.

Biden to cancel up to $10k in federal student loan debt for certain borrowers and up to $20k for Pell Grant recipients (msn.com)

I am insanely jealous of this.  I am pretty sure I had a Pell Grant for college and dh and I both had loans that we paid off a few  years ago.  It would have been so nice to get 30k of them cancelled.  Not nice, it would have been such a huge thing for us.  Honestly seems like such a slap in the face to have busted our butts to pay ours off.  Like I could have just waited and gotten them cancelled. 

Sorry, having a bad day here.  Some bad health stuff, a sick dog that has created a ton of mess, and a leaking dishwasher.

• Sad 2

Target’s Car Seat Trade-In Event | Latest Info & Dates on Hip2Save

Rumor has it that Target will be hosting their popular Car Seat Trade-In Event again this fall! What we’ve heard from a couple of sources is that the date may be September 11th, and that it will run for two weeks. Keep your eye on this post around September 11th for some great deal ideas and more information.

During this even, customers typically are able to activate a 20% off select car seats, strollers, and more baby gear Circle offer when they trade in an old, expired, or damaged car seat.

Plus, in the past, a ton of car seats have even been on sale during the trade-in event. These discounts, when stacked with your 20% off Target Car Seat Trade-In Event coupon, can add up to over 40% off select car seats! This is seriously the best time to trade in your old car seat and save on the next seat that your baby or kiddo needs!

A bit on the Target car trade in....with the last trade in, you could only trade in through your Target circle account if you wanted the discount coupon.  You could just do a drop-off if you just needed it to be recycled, but the infant/kids coupon had to be linked to your Target circle account (which is free, and does not require a redcard account).

This meant that when I turned in a seat and two boosters, I didn't have coupons I could send to my sister. 😉 

BTW, I am now car seat free for the first time in 20 years. It feels fantastic!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Harney Tea is having a 25% off sale on their website. I normally order through amazon or pick up at Target, but their website is better stocked than either of those other two places right now.  I bought a bit extra and am stashing away as gifts for the tea lovers in my circle.

Thank you!  I am need of more hot cinnamon tea and winter white earl grey. 

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Biden to cancel up to $10k in federal student loan debt for certain borrowers and up to $20k for Pell Grant recipients (msn.com)

I am insanely jealous of this.  I am pretty sure I had a Pell Grant for college and dh and I both had loans that we paid off a few  years ago.  It would have been so nice to get 30k of them cancelled.  Not nice, it would have been such a huge thing for us.  Honestly seems like such a slap in the face to have busted our butts to pay ours off.  Like I could have just waited and gotten them cancelled. 

Sorry, having a bad day here.  Some bad health stuff, a sick dog that has created a ton of mess, and a leaking dishwasher.

DH still has a little (less than $10K), so hoping his falls under this because it will just go away, I guess. He didn't get or take the pause (don't know which), so we've been paying on them. We paid mine off a couple of years ago since they had a much higher rate than DH's. DD received a pell grant, but we busted our behinds to keep her from taking out loans. I kinda feel like it would've ended up better if we'd taken them now, but we couldn't have known the future. 

Sorry about your bad day.  Leaky dishwashers are so not cool. Hope your health stuff clears quickly and your dog feels better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

A bit on the Target car trade in....with the last trade in, you could only trade in through your Target circle account if you wanted the discount coupon.  You could just do a drop-off if you just needed it to be recycled, but the infant/kids coupon had to be linked to your Target circle account (which is free, and does not require a redcard account).

This meant that when I turned in a seat and two boosters, I didn't have coupons I could send to my sister. 😉 

BTW, I am now car seat free for the first time in 20 years. It feels fantastic!!!

I bet that does.  I am almost there and can't wait!!  It makes riding in the car easier and easier. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

DH still has a little (less than $10K), so hoping his falls under this because it will just go away, I guess. He didn't get or take the pause (don't know which), so we've been paying on them. We paid mine off a couple of years ago since they had a much higher rate than DH's. DD received a pell grant, but we busted our behinds to keep her from taking out loans. I kinda feel like it would've ended up better if we'd taken them now, but we couldn't have known the future. 

Sorry about your bad day.  Leaky dishwashers are so not cool. Hope your health stuff clears quickly and your dog feels better.

I know and I keep saying that to myself.  It just stinks you know?  Argh.  It would have been like winning the lottery when we were first married to have gotten that much of our loans cancelled.  

I just read you can get refunded from payments since 2020.

A Reddit thread said to call your loan servicer and request a refund for all payments made since March 2020.

I hope your dh gets it.

Dh got the dishwasher fixed so there is that.  I did get 4 kids to well visits in the last 2 days.  3 ortho and 1 well visit tomorrow and that is it for the week.  More apts for next week.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

I’m struggling with finances here.  A few months ago we were pretty secure.  We had a good cushion, emergency fund, and were being frugal to be able to put away funds for retirement and kids’ college funds.  We were even planning a trip to Rome that we had been saving for for a couple of years and dreaming about a lot longer.  Then costs went up and up, and we couldn’t put as much as we wanted into the retirement fund each month anymore.  We had to cut things tighter and tighter to cover expenses; there was no more cushion in the budget.  Then we weren’t putting anything towards retirement.  And then we thought we were going to move, and spent some money from our reserves on inspections and fixing up and cleaning up some things to get our house ready to sell, but that fell through.  Then our AC went out in the house in 109* degree heat and cost over $1700 to repair, and the AC in dh’s car went out too, and those repairs came out of the emergency fund.  And l knew I needed new tires soon but was putting it off, but I got a flat tire and it was too bald to be able to patch, with the other tires just as bad, so replacing those was another cost.  And some medical bills, and school supplies, and several other unexpected costs.  And even getting some great deals at the thrift store, kids’ clothes for the Fall were another expense.  All in all, we’ve eaten through our emergency fund, and our “save up gradually to replace a car in a few years” fund, and now we’re stopping college fund savings except for the oldest.  We can’t cover our expenses this month, and food costs have gone even higher to where our budgeted amount is not enough again, and we’ve already gone through the gas budget but this is a hospital week with several days driving into the city for doctors’ appointments, and it is going on the credit card.  

I know we just have to tighten our belts and we can work through it, but I am so anxious.  I always struggle with scanxiety when ds8’s MRIs are coming up.  There’s always the voice in the back of my head saying that maybe it will be bad, and they won’t let him leave the hospital. Maybe he will need surgery again, maybe our family won’t be together for the next month, maybe he won’t walk again.  It’s very unlikely, but it happened before and it could happen again.  Our financial situation is precarious right now, and would make it all worse if results are bad.  I just about feel like I might throw up.

• Sad 7

8 minutes ago, Condessa said:

I’m struggling with finances here.  A few months ago we were pretty secure.  We had a good cushion, emergency fund, and were being frugal to be able to put away funds for retirement and kids’ college funds.  We were even planning a trip to Rome that we had been saving for for a couple of years and dreaming about a lot longer.  Then costs went up and up, and we couldn’t put as much as we wanted into the retirement fund each month anymore.  We had to cut things tighter and tighter to cover expenses; there was no more cushion in the budget.  Then we weren’t putting anything towards retirement.  And then we thought we were going to move, and spent some money from our reserves on inspections and fixing up and cleaning up some things to get our house ready to sell, but that fell through.  Then our AC went out in the house in 109* degree heat and cost over $1700 to repair, and the AC in dh’s car went out too, and those repairs came out of the emergency fund.  And l knew I needed new tires soon but was putting it off, but I got a flat tire and it was too bald to be able to patch, with the other tires just as bad, so replacing those was another cost.  And some medical bills, and school supplies, and several other unexpected costs.  And even getting some great deals at the thrift store, kids’ clothes for the Fall were another expense.  All in all, we’ve eaten through our emergency fund, and our “save up gradually to replace a car in a few years” fund, and now we’re stopping college fund savings except for the oldest.  We can’t cover our expenses this month, and food costs have gone even higher to where our budgeted amount is not enough again, and we’ve already gone through the gas budget but this is a hospital week with several days driving into the city for doctors’ appointments, and it is going on the credit card.  

I know we just have to tighten our belts and we can work through it, but I am so anxious.  I always struggle with scanxiety when ds8’s MRIs are coming up.  There’s always the voice in the back of my head saying that maybe it will be bad, and they won’t let him leave the hospital. Maybe he will need surgery again, maybe our family won’t be together for the next month, maybe he won’t walk again.  It’s very unlikely, but it happened before and it could happen again.  Our financial situation is precarious right now, and would make it all worse if results are bad.  I just about feel like I might throw up.

Oh gosh, I am so so sorry.  I am sending all my prayers your way for good news for your ds.  I hope all the bills ease up.

• Like 2

Anyone need anything from IKEA?

Today, August 26th, through 5PM EST, hurry on over to IKEA where they are offering 20% off digital IKEA Gift Cards valued at $50 or more! Note that the discount applies automatically during checkout.

Even better, you can order up to $1,000 worth of IKEA gift cards at the discounted price! This is a great way to save some money if you’re planning on remodeling your home, buying some new furniture or just have a love for the big blue store.

You can customize the exact amount you might need for your future purchase, in increments of $5 – $1,000, and your IKEA gift cards will be emailed within 24 – 48 hours.

from hip2save

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Anyone need anything from IKEA?

Today, August 26th, through 5PM EST, hurry on over to IKEA where they are offering 20% off digital IKEA Gift Cards valued at $50 or more! Note that the discount applies automatically during checkout.

Even better, you can order up to $1,000 worth of IKEA gift cards at the discounted price! This is a great way to save some money if you’re planning on remodeling your home, buying some new furniture or just have a love for the big blue store.

You can customize the exact amount you might need for your future purchase, in increments of $5 – $1,000, and your IKEA gift cards will be emailed within 24 – 48 hours.

from hip2save

Ha, I'm going to Ikea tomorrow on my way to spend the weekend at my best friend's house in Baltimore.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Condessa said:

Hugs. The grind on finances from illness is huge. And, the weight of scanxiety can overshadow a lot. Best wishes to you and yours.

• Like 3

Ugh.  UGh.  I am so mad.  3 kids got sent to the ortho yesterday and one kid the ortho completely screwed up the treatment.  They knew they were not supposed to do something.  Said they were going to not do it.  And then they did it.  Their error was not caught until 9pm last night. So now that kid has to go back in next week so they can fix their mistake.  So upset.  Of course our ortho is 45 mins each way from our house.  So yeah. 

Plus I have a ton of other apts for them next week.  Got another one set up from the apts yesterday, that I wasn't expecting really.  

Ok.  Doing some back to school shopping.  

Getting rid of lots of stuff around the house.  Going through kid clothes and shoes which is a process I can't stand doing.

Need to do some dance shopping.

More house projects this weekend

Paid for nature school for the kids.

• Sad 2

Huge grocery order today because we haven't done a real shopping trip since we got back. Plus I am stocking up on food/snacks for back to school time when we will be running around like crazy.  Plus lunch food for dh who has to go into work now.  Need to do a lot more as we go through things so fast.  

Got some more of the home projects done.

Getting ready for back to school.  Sigh.  Running around is going to be so hard to bet back into.

Got a ton of stuff dropped off at donations.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

DH's funding for school is not yet approved.  Classes for him start today and he has until the end of the week to drop for non-payment.  Every conversation to see if has been approved is at least half an hour of waiting on hold and listening to suicide prevention assistance (VA).  It's a depressing phone call he puts on speaker so he can do other things while he waits.

Our electric bill came.  Would you like to know how much an electric bill increases when everyone sleeps different shifts and needs the AC on 24/7?  Nope?  Neither did we. I told dh to ask his boss next year if he could take the night shifts in June and September, lol.

It's popcorn season.  My wallet will be hemorrhaging.

Oh, and took ds's skates in last month for consignment.  They lost the paperwork.  Thankfully the skates hadn't sold yet, and we were able to redo the initial work, but damn.  That money will be necessary to replace ds's gloves soon.  As it is, we ended up spending about $130 on three pairs of socks, a set of elbow pads, and a pair of undershorts.  We need to put an extension on his stick still and see if his shorts will hold through the fall.  Mr. SpiderLegs is very quickly eating through the budget.

Bright spots:

I'll find them.  Just not right now.

• Sad 3

We had a fairly spendy weekend for us.

I took 2 youngest to the roller derby. We have a team in the city next to us; middle was really, really interested in the kids' team a few years ago and then she started fainting, and then covid hit, so we never got to a bout. Well, we finally got to a bout, and middle loved it. So much so, I got her a team t-shirt. She's thinking maybe she can volunteer at the bouts.

Then, DH took all 3 to Half Price Books on Sunday. 

We haven't done much in the way of Entertainment lately, so it's ok. Just funny we did it in one weekend.

Other items:

The accounting clerk at one of my jobs tested positive for covid this weekend, so I will probably have extra hours again this week.

Oldest got her MRI done on Saturday - that's probably the item that will put us into max out of pocket for the year for medical. So, I'm looking at our lists and I'll be scheduling some appointments soon.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

DH's funding for school is not yet approved.  Classes for him start today and he has until the end of the week to drop for non-payment.  Every conversation to see if has been approved is at least half an hour of waiting on hold and listening to suicide prevention assistance (VA).  It's a depressing phone call he puts on speaker so he can do other things while he waits.

Our electric bill came.  Would you like to know how much an electric bill increases when everyone sleeps different shifts and needs the AC on 24/7?  Nope?  Neither did we. I told dh to ask his boss next year if he could take the night shifts in June and September, lol.

It's popcorn season.  My wallet will be hemorrhaging.

Oh, and took ds's skates in last month for consignment.  They lost the paperwork.  Thankfully the skates hadn't sold yet, and we were able to redo the initial work, but damn.  That money will be necessary to replace ds's gloves soon.  As it is, we ended up spending about $130 on three pairs of socks, a set of elbow pads, and a pair of undershorts.  We need to put an extension on his stick still and see if his shorts will hold through the fall.  Mr. SpiderLegs is very quickly eating through the budget.

Bright spots:

I'll find them.  Just not right now.

Oh man that is stressful about dh's funding.  I hope this week he can get ahold of someone.  

Boo on the electric bill.  Hopefully cooler weather is on the way.

That is really cool that you can put your ds's outgrown stuff on consignment.   Takes a little chip out of the expensive gear. 

• Like 1

Grocery pickup was annoying at best.  Rotting potatoes.  Substituted 24 cheese sticks for 6 organic ones.  And a few other annoying things.  Had to call to get things credited.

New car is at the dealer with a big an expensive issue and I am so upset about it.  Ugh.  Being an adult is super fun.  Update, ended up being $100 that we shouldn't have had to pay, but the 2 other dealers we had brought it to didn't say anything about it.  The person who called today telling us about us was saying a bunch was wrong, but she ended up being a new person who didn't know what was really going on.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Sad 1

We got ds8’s MRI results today.  The tumor is stable (YAY!!!) but bizarrely, the images show what looks like a healing fracture.  How on earth can he have a fractured vertebrae without us knowing and without pain?!  The oncologist sent us for x-rays and sent messages to ds’s neurosurgeon and orthopedist asking them to review the images, so we’ll hear back from them in a day or two.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Condessa said:

We got ds8’s MRI results today.  The tumor is stable (YAY!!!) but bizarrely, the images show what looks like a healing fracture.  How on earth can he have a fractured vertebrae without us knowing and without pain?!  The oncologist sent us for x-rays and sent messages to ds’s neurosurgeon and orthopedist asking them to review the images, so we’ll hear back from them in a day or two.

I am so glad the tumor is stable.  I hope you get answers about the possible fracture.

• Like 3

I’ve been cooking breakfast grains instead of buying dry cereal lately to help with the grocery budget (oatmeal, crema de farina, brown rice).  Besides being cheaper they’re also much more filling and so the kids have been snacking a lot less in the mornings.  I just realized a few days ago that I can actually put any of these in the rice cooker and have them waiting warm and ready when the kids wake up in the morning.  

• Like 4

We have slowly been buying holiday gifts as they pop up. Kids will likely get new bikes as main gifts. Most extended family will likely get somewhat generic gifts but it is what it is this year. I did decide to get DH a massage gun so I am shopping for a decent value. 

Gas is creeping back up here. 

Orthodontist is replacing our broken bite plate at no cost. It went through the washer in a shirt pocket and came out in 6 pieces. It is making me rethink Invisalign in favor of traditional braces. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

We have slowly been buying holiday gifts as they pop up. Kids will likely get new bikes as main gifts. Most extended family will likely get somewhat generic gifts but it is what it is this year. I did decide to get DH a massage gun so I am shopping for a decent value. 

Gas is creeping back up here. 

Orthodontist is replacing our broken bite plate at no cost. It went through the washer in a shirt pocket and came out in 6 pieces. It is making me rethink Invisalign in favor of traditional braces. 

oh no,  Say it isn't so.  Just when my insane driving is about to happen.  

Good for you for thinking about holiday gifts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

I decided to give food/consumable gifts to all adults.  Maybe it's not creative, but augh. Everyone is old enough to buy whatever they want. 

I am going to get DS14 a wood burning kit, some of those funny stuffies that look like food (like this), and a big lego kit. He'll need some new t shirts by then, too.  Oh, and books. He always wants more books.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who is not feeling the holiday gifting spirit?

My kids have satisfactory lives.  They don't need anything.  They're quite happy with what they have.  Besides our usual gift of socks, I'm at a loss.  I half joked that everyone was getting their own clothes drying rack this year and both of them cheered, so I mean, that's where we're at. 😄 (I still might do it.  We have 2 larger racks but they're always in use.)

• Haha 2