Menu

I'm now a K-drama addict...

Jann in TX

On 7/6/2023 at 5:34 PM, Jann in TX said:

Nope-- Season 3 is being distributed by Disney Plus-- but not in USA.  I've heard that it will eventually be on Netflix-- but no date yet.  Hulu is the only way unless you want to use a different VPN service (nope on that).

First 4 Episodes of Heartbeat are released on Prime.  Starting to see a few more k-dramas there (mostly old).

Hulu has Dr Romantic season 3!

It also has Link: eat, love, kill. Which has made it to my personal top 5 best rankings. Loved it.

Though now I have done a disturbing amount of web diving into how the legal system handles killing someone in self defense in South Korea.

Warning and spoiler.

It’s about a child abduction but it’s as happy an ending as possible for a story about a child that never comes home again and how a community struggles with all their “what ifs” that could have saved her. I bawled a river about the dad.  The flipping serial killer did one thing right at least.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! 👋

DD and I just finished Itaewon Class…it was so good! This has to be one of my favorites. I’m sure many of you have already seen it since it’s been out for a few years. ☺️ Each character had so much going on and there were so many heartfelt moments. It was definitely more dramatic than I was anticipating and things started happening right off the bat and kept up all throughout the show. 

Have y’all been watching anything good? 

On 7/28/2023 at 8:43 PM, Vintage81 said:

Hey everyone! 👋

DD and I just finished Itaewon Class…it was so good! This has to be one of my favorites. I’m sure many of you have already seen it since it’s been out for a few years. ☺️ Each character had so much going on and there were so many heartfelt moments. It was definitely more dramatic than I was anticipating and things started happening right off the bat and kept up all throughout the show. 

Have y’all been watching anything good? 

I’m currently watching:

Heart signal 4.  A reality dating show! Two things I never ever had the slightest desire to watch before. Our whole family is loving it for some weird reason. Maybe it’s the 6 person panel aspect. Idk.

Heartbeat.

King the Land

The Real has Come. I’m just so confused with the latest episode.  She left and has just returned. Which I don’t really understand at all.  2 characters need restraining orders at this point but all the other characters keep acting like this is no big deal. Odd.  I have so many questions about how marriage and family law are handled in Korea.

I finished watching Numbers. I liked it. No romance in this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

I'm going to break down and get Hulu for a month so I can watch Dr Romantic 3...

I'm currently watching:

King the Land

Heartbeat (this one is fun!  I love it being quirky for some reason...

My summer favorite is still Bloodhounds!

Heartbeat is great.  I’m used to silly vampires, and I’m used to sexy vampires, but silly *and* sexy vampires?  Sign me up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m currently watching:

Heart signal 4.  A reality dating show! Two things I never ever had the slightest desire to watch before. Our whole family is loving it for some weird reason. Maybe it’s the 6 person panel aspect. Idk.

I am now invested in this show, lol! I normally watch Cdramas, but this Kdrama may be the first I watch all the way through, and I don't watch dating shows either!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Renai said:

I am now invested in this show, lol! I normally watch Cdramas, but this Kdrama may be the first I watch all the way through, and I don't watch dating shows either!

Right? I don’t think I’ve ever watched any reality tv other than the first season of Amazing Race waaay forever ago. 

As for Cdramas.   I’ve only watched a few. I watched Hidden Love and Perfectly Casual. I’m currently watching My Lethal Man but dadblum it’s super LOL cringe-worthy so far up to ep5.  I e found that cdramas are excellent to help me go to sleep quicker. Probably bc I watch without sound and only read subtitles. 

• Like 1

I started Dr Romantic 3 (Hulu)...

FUN FUN FUN!!! and starts right where Dr Romantic 2 left off-- BUT it really upped the medical "GORE" factor-- I'm not squeamish but did look a way in a few scenes.  They also added the lead romantic pair living together-- but so far (episode 4) only a few 'peck' kissing scenes.

The name 'Dr Romantic' kept me from watching the first series-- this is a well done MEDICAL drama with some relationships on the side... 'romance' is more of a play on words-- kind of like 'Romancing the Stone'-- the main Dr is teaching the younger Drs and interns (LOVE LOVE LOVE his attitude!)... so don't let the name make you think this is all about love and relationships...

Dr Romantic 2 is a re-boot with a few members of the original cast-- taking place 3 years later.  Disney's parent company picked up the season 3 it may eventually make it to Netflix--but for now only on Hulu in US (I signed up for free month trial without commercials-- then I will cancel HULU as not enough content I want to see plus I do not like the interface-- too hard to find shows to watch!).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

Right? I don’t think I’ve ever watched any reality tv other than the first season of Amazing Race waaay forever ago. 

As for Cdramas.   I’ve only watched a few. I watched Hidden Love and Perfectly Casual. I’m currently watching My Lethal Man but dadblum it’s super LOL cringe-worthy so far up to ep5.  I e found that cdramas are excellent to help me go to sleep quicker. Probably bc I watch without sound and only read subtitles. 

We're learning Chinese, so Cdramas are our thing. I'm currently watching Falling Into Your Smile with my 12yo daughter, who likes gaming. It's her first time watching all the way through, and my.... well, I like Xu Kai. I've watched at least 4 of his dramas. But, his are mainstream China drama. I find Taiwanese dramas a bit more interesting, and with more humor:  Mom Don't Do That, The Perfect Match (I like Wu Kang Ren. He's also in Mom Don't Do That), etc. I'm currently watching The Legend of Bruce Lee on my own. (I usually have one I'm watching, and one I watch with my daughter).

I can list others we've watched when I have more time. I have to go teach now!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renai said:

We're learning Chinese, so Cdramas are our thing. I'm currently watching Falling Into Your Smile with my 12yo daughter, who likes gaming. It's her first time watching all the way through, and my.... well, I like Xu Kai. I've watched at least 4 of his dramas.

Falling into Your Smile was my first Cdrama- I've watched it twice! 

• Thanks 1

Got stuck on couch (medical issue) in a room without HULU on TV so I started a C-drama on Netflix-- Hidden Love-- I've heard so much about it and it is so sweet so far (I'm on episode 6 of 25 so we will see-- but it is supposed to be VERY GOOD).

DH is having a medical procedure on Thursday-- so I will be downloading a few episodes of something to watch on my Iphone while I wait...that will be my tough decision of the day!

2 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Got stuck on couch (medical issue) in a room without HULU on TV so I started a C-drama on Netflix-- Hidden Love-- I've heard so much about it and it is so sweet so far (I'm on episode 6 of 25 so we will see-- but it is supposed to be VERY GOOD).

DH is having a medical procedure on Thursday-- so I will be downloading a few episodes of something to watch on my Iphone while I wait...that will be my tough decision of the day!

Hidden Love stays sweet. It was cute.

Out of disgust with My Lethal Man at 1:30am last night, I ended up watching the kdrama movie Dream. I really enjoyed it. Heart-warming and funny. No romance.

• Like 1

The CDramas we've (me and/or 12yo dd) watched:

Rise of the Phoenixes was the first I watched. Liked it until the end. Then I hated the whole thing. 

Meteor Garden (with Dylan Wang) was the first I watched with my daughter. I kept pointing out how some relationship things are actually dysfunctional and not sweet, and never stay with a man like that. Probably grounds to call the police in a couple of situations. I'm such a great mom, ruining shows. But we watched it several times before I figured out what to watch next.

The next are in no particular order of when I watched them.

Accidentally in Love - my daughter's favorite

The Perfect Match (Wu Kang-Ren. He started dating the FL, Ivy Shao, after this and they are still together)) - great way to increase my cooking vocab and get great recipes. 😅 Rewatching (for the 3rd time) with Language Reactor and a notebook) 

Use For My Talent

Mom, Don't Do That! (Wu Kang-Ren) - not for kids, adult humor

Take My Brother Away

The Legend of Bruce Lee

Once Upon a Time on Lingjian Mountain (Xu Kai)

Handsome Siblings

Triad Princess - haven't really gotten into it, so haven't finished it

Flavorful Origins - not a drama. More like a documentary of different cuisines in various places in China. 10-13 minute episodes

Falling Into Your Smile (Xu Kai) - watched at least 6 times, by myself

King's Avatar - another gaming one, no romance!

Office Girls

(on iQiYi) Lost in Kunlun Mountains (Xu Kai) - started out good, then, I don't know. The characters didn't develop well, seemed to regress. Weird.

(Viki) Arsenal Military Academy (Xu Kai) - I liked the ML (Xu Kai) in this one. Character developed well. Watched more than once.

(Viki) The Legends (Xu Kai)

(Viki) Story of Yanxi Palace (Xu Kai) - started it a while back but haven't finished.

These are all I can think of right now.

Edited:

Oh! One more - Well-Intended Love.

Edited by Renai
added one
  • Like 2

DD and I just finished a new show on Netflix...See You in My 19th Life. 

The male lead (Bo Hyun Ahn) in this show was actually the villain in Itaewon Class, so it was nice to see him as the romantic interest in this show. I had mixed feelings about the female lead...at times I liked her, at times she was a bit strange. I think the show had some pacing issues at times...some storylines were really slow to be resolved and others were so quick! Overall the premise was interesting (the female lead was able to remember her past lives and was reconnecting with people from her past in her 19th life). I'd recommend it for a quick, fun watch. (FYI...there is a somewhat graphic car accident that is shown multiple times. It's not too gory, but there is some blood.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vintage81 said:

FYI...there is a somewhat graphic car accident that is shown multiple times. It's not too gory, but there is some blood

I’ve noticed kdrama car accident scenes are typically far more graphic than what we usually see here. Lots of slow panning across someone covered in gore. 

5 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

DD and I just finished a new show on Netflix...See You in My 19th Life. 

The male lead (Bo Hyun Ahn) in this show was actually the villain in Itaewon Class, so it was nice to see him as the romantic interest in this show. I had mixed feelings about the female lead...at times I liked her, at times she was a bit strange. I think the show had some pacing issues at times...some storylines were really slow to be resolved and others were so quick! Overall the premise was interesting (the female lead was able to remember her past lives and was reconnecting with people from her past in her 19th life). I'd recommend it for a quick, fun watch. (FYI...there is a somewhat graphic car accident that is shown multiple times. It's not too gory, but there is some blood.)

Is that one completed already? It’s in my queue to binge watch when it’s done. 

5 hours ago, KSera said:

I’ve noticed kdrama car accident scenes are typically far more graphic than what we usually see here. Lots of slow panning across someone covered in gore. 

Hmmmm....it wasn't too bad to me. Some of those scenes can be a bit jarring because they come so unexpectedly. Plus, they often repeat them several times which can be bothersome.

I guess these shows would be the equivalent to what is shown on network TV here, maybe? I can't remember the last time I've watched a network TV show, so I'm not sure what types of things they show. I usually stick to stuff on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, those sort of things, and the kdrama scenes don't seem that bad compared to what's shown in those places (or they're at least equivalent).

(I've also watched A LOT of war shows and movies because of my DH, so maybe I'm just desensitized to gory stuff. ☺️)

@Jann in TX 

LA K-Con is coming up! I'm so excited for you!

I suspect my daughter will buy an online pass, so hopefully I'll get to see some too. Please keep us updated and please post photos! 

My wishlist would be Ateez, Stray Kids, Zerobaseone , Xikers and The Boyz. 

The overall line-up is very very strong. 

I know you already like Ateez, but have you checked out Xikers? They are a new group from the same label. Check out Rockstar and Do or Die if you haven't already.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

@Jann in TX 

LA K-Con is coming up! I'm so excited for you!

I suspect my daughter will buy an online pass, so hopefully I'll get to see some too. Please keep us updated and please post photos! 

My wishlist would be Ateez, Stray Kids, Zerobaseone , Xikers and The Boyz. 

The overall line-up is very very strong. 

I know you already like Ateez, but have you checked out Xikers? They are a new group from the same label. Check out Rockstar and Do or Die if you haven't already.

Getting VERY excited here-- just 2 more weeks! 

We have tickets all 3 nights-- plus will be at convention all 3 days...  Your wish list is pretty much the same as mine!

Made a light blue Ateez Tshirt (looks grey in picture) will wear to one of the convention days  May make a Stray Kids too...  Ateez shirt has 'I heart ATEEZ' in pocket area.  I put a black rose on the left sleeve as a shout out to The Rose (my personal favorite band as I prefer K-Rock to K-Pop).

FullSizeRendercopy2.thumb.jpg.27f886c5820af58adefed8d2bbe9a8e8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

We have tickets all 3 nights-- plus will be at convention all 3 days...  Your wish list is pretty much the same as mine!

Made a light blue Ateez Tshirt (looks grey in picture) will wear to one of the convention days  May make a Stray Kids too...  Ateez shirt has 'I heart ATEEZ' in pocket area.  I put a black rose on the left sleeve as a shout out to The Rose (my personal favorite band as I prefer K-Rock to K-Pop).

I love it!! 😄

Eyes peeled for Mingi. He was a standout performer when we saw them. 

I also love The Rose. Their latest Back to Me is high rotation on my playlist at the moment. Beauty and the Beast is my all-time favourite of theirs.

Have you found the J-Rock group One OK Rock yet? If you like The Rose, you'll likely also like One OK Rock.

Also, do you listen to Xdinary Heroes? They are K-rock/K-pop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

LOL. That. Is. Awesome. I’m so jealous.  Do share lots of info and pics so I can cheer with you. 

3 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I love it!! 😄

Eyes peeled for Mingi. He was a standout performer when we saw them. 

I also love The Rose. Their latest Back to Me is high rotation on my playlist at the moment. Beauty and the Beast is my all-time favourite of theirs.

Have you found the J-Rock group One OK Rock yet? If you like The Rose, you'll likely also like One OK Rock.

Also, do you listen to Xdinary Heroes? They are K-rock/K-pop.

Y’all. Over here in Okieland, I feel like the only person on the planet that even knows about The Rose!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Y’all. Over here in Okieland, I feel like the only person on the planet that even knows about The Rose!

The Rose has a concert in Dallas on Nov 5 and Austin November 7.... Tickets are on sale!... Let me know if you want to drive down-- I don't want to go by myself-- dd is in Colorado and will be going to the Denver concert...   Anyone else game?

If you like indie-rock and rock ballads then The Rose is for you--  check out their version of ILYSB on youtube-- you really need to watch the music videos, Sammy is special... My grandson loves to dance with me while we listen to their current (more upbeat but one well-placed F bomb) hit  Back to Me...so fun!  Their current album is all in English-- others are all a mix of Korean and English...

--

Back to K-dramas-- I finished the C-Drama Hidden Love on Netflix... it really was SO SWEET... ...reminded me too much of my high school years (and my crush turned boyfriend who was 5+ years older than me... but he lost me to DH!).

17 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

--

Back to K-dramas-- I finished the C-Drama Hidden Love on Netflix... it really was SO SWEET... ...reminded me too much of my high school years (and my crush turned boyfriend who was 5+ years older than me... but he lost me to DH!).

This one is actually next on my list to watch, after I finish The Perfect Match for the Umpteenth time. I have such a long list...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

This one is actually next on my list to watch, after I finish The Perfect Match for the Umpteenth time. I have such a long list...

Sigh. Same. If I live long enough to watch all my kdramas, use up all my yarn stash and travel - ima a die very very very old. 

• Haha 2

Ohhh. I’m game! BUT I have to see how the fall school schedule of events works out to see if I can make it those days. 

26 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

The Rose has a concert in Dallas on Nov 5 and Austin November 7.... Tickets are on sale!... Let me know if you want to drive down-- I don't want to go by myself-- dd is in Colorado and will be going to the Denver concert...   Anyone else game?

• Like 1

DD and I had our first DNF of a show...it's called Tomorrow. The star of the show is Ro Woon, which was too bad because I really like him, but the show was just too much.

It was about a group of grim reapers who go around trying to stop people from committing suicide. We watched 4 episodes. We've watched many shows that have suicide in the story line, but this show wasn't just one story line, but each episode with a new person and new story. They attempted to inject some humor to balance things out, but I told DD that it was a bit much to watch all of these episodes.

Plus, the writing of the show was not consistent...in the first episode they would make some sort of rule...like the reapers were not allowed to interfere in the past...then the next episode they would do exactly that and nothing bad would happen. Things like that were irksome and confusing.  

• Sad 1

I didn’t finish that one either. I didn’t get past e2. 

Though Uncanny Counter is in my queue and I’ve hear great things about it. 

there’s lots of shows I haven’t finished. Usually bc I just move on bc of a lull in writing on the episodes that I’m too bored to power through.

I need to watch dr romantic 2 and 3

Father I’ll take care of you

c/drama My Perfect Husband

c/drama my girlfriend is an alien  I don’t plan to ever watch S2  bc S1 ended just fine. I actually liked this one and I liked the ML.

I’m fed up with c/drama trope of the couple falling in love with their brother/sister but it’s okay bc somehow they aren’t actually brother/sister. Just. Don’t care. Ick. Eww. I’m out.  It’s nuts how many c/drama this weeds out. 😳

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m fed up with c/drama trope of the couple falling in love with their brother/sister but it’s okay bc somehow they aren’t actually brother/sister. Just. Don’t care. Ick. Eww. I’m out.  It’s nuts how many c/drama this weeds out. 😳

Gross! 🤮

On 8/11/2023 at 12:04 PM, Murphy101 said:

I must have lucked out. I haven't seen a single one like that, and I've seen a lot!

I just finished Dr Romantic 3-- absolutely LOVED it-- would not mind at all if they made a season 4!

Sadly, I've had a few DNF-- but I tend to really look at reviews before I start a new drama.

Not sure what I will start this weekend...

I'm also looking for good ones specifically on Viki-- as I'm traveling this next week and Viki is easy to download with...  IDEAS?

17 minutes ago, Renai said:

I must have lucked out. I haven't seen a single one like that, and I've seen a lot!

Indeed lucky you.

the theme of they might have been siblings or were siblings but not biological ones or one of them is a doppelgänger for a sibling has been way too common.

13 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

I just finished Dr Romantic 3-- absolutely LOVED it-- would not mind at all if they made a season 4!

Sadly, I've had a few DNF-- but I tend to really look at reviews before I start a new drama.

Not sure what I will start this weekend...

I'm also looking for good ones specifically on Viki-- as I'm traveling this next week and Viki is easy to download with...  IDEAS?

I just started My Lovely Liar and so far episodes 1-4 have been enjoyable. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Indeed lucky you.

the theme of they might have been siblings or were siblings but not biological ones or one of them is a doppelgänger for a sibling has been way too common.

Please list some of those. I'd love to avoid them, lol!

12 minutes ago, Renai said:

Please list some of those. I'd love to avoid them, lol!

most recent was My Lethal Man. He falls in love with a doppelgänger woman who is impersonating his sister.  I was on episode 8 when it’s disclosed that he was the long thought dead brother and everyone is just oh yay he isn’t dead and no one ever says anything that oh waaaait a minute …  so this guy has the hots for sister? Well it’s okay bc she only looks exactly like his sister. Um. That’s a gross heck no it isn’t from me. LOL

• Like 1

OK-- One more t-shirt for KCON next week...  I have a simple shiny heart on front with word STAY inside.  "Stay" is fandom name for Stray Kids and 'Stray Kids everywhere all around the world' is their slogan.

Shirt is really a nice light blue... this is the back of the shirt.

Just found out there will be a room/area dedicated to K-dramas... I may have found my happy place at the convention! 

Stray.jpg

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

@Murphy101  How are your travel plans going? I think I remember you saying that you hoped to travel in September. I hope it's all coming together.

It’s not. Delayed to hopefully next spring or summer. This year is being spent maxing out my insurance in hospitals. 

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Oh shame. I hope you're getting some enjoyment out of the thinking and planning and anticipating. 

All the best with your health 🌻

I am actually.  I love the research and planning and learning what all everyone else has done.  I’m getting better at speaking Korean and pretty decent at reading it, so it’ll just be that much easier when I get there.  I was planning on Korea this fall and Curacao this winter, but it looks like Curacao this winter and Korea in the spring or summer. 

• Like 1

I just started Not Others (on viki) and it is both mature content and funny.  Very much not suitable for work/kids.

I decided to give my first Jdrama a try with An Incurable Case of Love. So sappy cheesy. It reminds me strongly of the old kdrama Playful Kiss.  Which is basicly one long cringe-worthy event after another. LOL

I thought Heartbeat series ended rather lamely.  Not going to spoil if for others though. 

We just finished The Inheritors (Heirs)...it was pretty good. This was the first show we've watched with Lee Min-ho. I know we should watch Boys Over Flowers, but I didn't realize it was 25 episodes! We'll eventually get to it...I know it's one of those classics. I also put The King Eternal Monarch on our watch list. 

My favorite character in The Inheritors, though, was the one played by Kim Woo-bin. I love the trope of the bad guy/villain turning good because he likes the girl. 🥰 Too bad they ruined it with my least favorite trope ever....the dreaded love triangle!!! 😤🤣

Anywho...it was still a fun show with all the crazy drama. On to the next!

• Like 1

Hi from KCON

Got a hug and a picture with Kevin Woo today at the Viki booth!! (He sang first last night)

DD got an up close place next to Ateez at convention event and they interacted with her— she auditions for the “dream stage” tomorrow morning. 

Started watching “My Lovely Liar”  (Viki) on episode 6… waiting for more to be released— fun/cute so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2