Menu

Must do things in NYC

Elizabeth86

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I do not know yet, but she will know for sure tomorrow and I'll let you all know.

I am sure she is going to have a wonderful time. Things that were important to me might not be to her. 

Things on my list

Grand Central Station

Taking the Ferry to Staten Island and see the Statue of Liberty on the way.

Going to Chelsea and having chicken and waffles

Times Square…..brunch in that rotating restaurant 

Seeing Empire State Building

Walking  that old train path…the Highline I think it is called?   I loved that.  

Riding the subway

Walking through Central Park

We fit so much in and we were there for 7 full days.  

I am ready to go back now!

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would go to Magnolia and have some banana pudding followed by carrot cake🤣

I would take the ferry to Governors Island and ride a bike or walk around for the awesome views of the city and just because it’s a bit of a strange place (well, it was when it first opened to the public anyway).

if I’ve done the major museums and I’m a fan of Central European art, I would tuck into Neue Galerie. Has a lovely cafe attached 😉 

i would contact this boardie and I can tell her the best places to get bagels 😉 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were just in NYC for a day and took a walking tour. Since we have a group of six, we did a private tour with our own guide, but you can also join a group tour. Or take an open-top bus tour. We got to see much more than we would have, if we had tried to plan things out on our own, so the fees were worth it to us.

If she is willing to pay for tickets and is into theater, it would be fun to see a show. My SIL was just in NYC this weekend and saw Hugh Jackman in The Music Man.

I'm in NYC right now (literally typing in my hotel room). I'm here mostly attending an event -- and this isn't my first trip -- so I haven't done a lot of tourist-y stuff this time. I did see two shows: Hadestown and Come From Away. I used SeatGeek and TodayTix to grab discounted same-day tickets without the routine of lining up in person at TKTS.

I also went to the Morgan Library, which was wonderful. It's a must-do for anyone who read The Personal Librarian or any of the other books about Belle da Costa Greene (or who loves books and/or history). 

I had planned to walk the High Line this morning, but got detoured. I may go this afternoon or possibly tomorrow before I leave.

Last time I was here, I did a tour at the Tenement Museum, which was honestly one of the best things I've ever done in NYC. I was considering trying to go back for a different tour on this trip, but the schedule has been weird. And the museum is just far enough from where I'm staying that it's not as attractive as it might be. (Normally, I'd just hop a subway and go; however, with my current foot and leg issues, climbing stairs is problematic. And since not just every subway station has escalators or elevators, I'm wary.)

Museums, of course. I'm especially partial to the Egyptian stuff at the Metropolitan and also The Cloisters (operated by the Met, but in a different location).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's a really big city. What sort of things does she like to do when she travels? It's no good telling you she should take a Big Onion walking tour if she hates history and also walking, or that she should go to the Bronx Zoo if she hates animals and walking. (Plus, there are NOT enough bathrooms and water fountains in that place.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I'm in NYC right now (literally typing in my hotel room). I'm here mostly attending an event -- and this isn't my first trip -- so I haven't done a lot of tourist-y stuff this time. I did see two shows: Hadestown and Come From Away. I used SeatGeek and TodayTix to grab discounted same-day tickets without the routine of lining up in person at TKTS.

I also went to the Morgan Library, which was wonderful. It's a must-do for anyone who read The Personal Librarian or any of the other books about Belle da Costa Greene (or who loves books and/or history). 

I had planned to walk the High Line this morning, but got detoured. I may go this afternoon or possibly tomorrow before I leave.

Last time I was here, I did a tour at the Tenement Museum, which was honestly one of the best things I've ever done in NYC. I was considering trying to go back for a different tour on this trip, but the schedule has been weird. And the museum is just far enough from where I'm staying that it's not as attractive as it might be. (Normally, I'd just hop a subway and go; however, with my current foot and leg issues, climbing stairs is problematic. And since not just every subway station has escalators or elevators, I'm wary.)

Museums, of course. I'm especially partial to the Egyptian stuff at the Metropolitan and also The Cloisters (operated by the Met, but in a different location).

Check out Eatily and/or Chelsea Market when you do the high line (and apologies if you already know of this stuff!)

• Like 1

We went six years ago with the whole family. We all loved Ellis Island (and we saw the Statue of Liberty as we cruised by on the ferry--enough for us), but probably part of that was just the blast of air conditioning on a very hot day! We were still focused on the girls' education so we toured the WTC museum that same day--very impactful, but if you want a more lighthearted trip maybe not. We stayed near Times Square and we saw one show (Phantom of the Opera). My parting impression was that if I go to NYC again, it will be mainly to stay walking distance to theaters again and just see several shows. That's enough for a great trip.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

My parting impression was that if I go to NYC again, it will be mainly to stay walking distance to theaters again and just see several shows. That's enough for a great trip.

That's usually the focus for us, too. The last big family vacation we did was here, and we saw a show every evening and in each available matinee slot. That was before the wide use of apps for same-day tickets. So, we bought in advance for a couple of shows that each kid was particularly excited to see and then hit the TKTS line to fill in all the other slots. 

With the apps, it's so much easier to get those discounted tickets. I bought my tickets for Hadestown and Come From Away on my phone while I was sitting in the convention center auditorium waiting for a program to start.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

It's a really big city. What sort of things does she like to do when she travels? It's no good telling you she should take a Big Onion walking tour if she hates history and also walking, or that she should go to the Bronx Zoo if she hates animals and walking. (Plus, there are NOT enough bathrooms and water fountains in that place.)

Agreed, also if she is on a budget or ready to splurge. 

32 minutes ago, FreyaO said:

Agreed, also if she is on a budget or ready to splurge. 

Haha well she is on a budget usually, but plane tickets and hotel are being provided. My sister is her plus one and she’s a big spender and this is a once in a lifetime thing for my mom. So 🤷name anything you want 

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 2

VERY long time lurker here. I’ve lived in the Village for 20ish years. 

100% skip Magnolia unless you have a burning desire to recreate the Sex & the City scene. NYC has so much to offer & Magnolia is subpar at best. Try Mille-Feuille on LaGuardia Place just off Washington Sq. 

I have to put in a plug for the NYC Ferries, you can ride. Staten Island or a sunset ride along the east river.

If they’re going to the theater dinner before or after (much prefer after!) at Joe Allen’s is a must do! It’s Broadways green room & you never know who’ll you’ll see there plus the food is fabulous. Raul’s in SoHo is fabulous & few things beat a glorious lunch at Balthazar (skip Pastis & go to Balthazar). La Duree is always fun if you like macarons or just want a fancy lunch but they’re a chain. Lady M cakes are my favorite & again they’re a chain but did start in NYC. On the UWS Celeste (502 Amsterdam) is amazing and a lovely stroll over from the Park. After dinner a walk down to Lincoln Center is lovely.

You can get the bus on 5th outside of Bergdorf and ride it all the way down 5th passing Rock Center, the Empire State Building, Flatiron & the Ladies’ Mile. Jump off at 8th St & 5th and you’re right at the arch in Washington Sq.

The Cloisters is my favorite museum but it is a hike. I’d suggest brunch at Norma’s and then getting a cab or Uber uptown. 

The Highline is nice but so crowded. I much prefer walking along the river on the Hudson Greenway, the Little Island is gorgeous & fun & less crowded than the highline. The view is fabulous. Dinner at Cafe Cluny after walking the Hudson Greenway is fun, too!

enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

One last thing, tipping minimum is 20% & after the hard times of the past 2 years we tip service workers we tip on everything, even a coffee counter. 25% more likely for a sit down meal. 

Be aware that a number of businesses no longer take cash at all & many business take cards (like hotdog vendors & ice cream trucks). You really don’t need cash at all, I can’t remember the last time I had cash, maybe 2020?

Prices are higher now, a bit of inflation and a bit making up for the past 2 years. 

definitely get city bikes & ride around, best way to see the city!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One or more of the major art museums, the tenement museum, a Broadway show or Met performance depending upon season, enjoying great restaurants, strolling 5th avenue if you’re into shopping, strolling through Greenwich Village, a visit to Ellis Island, maybe ground zero (have not been so can’t personally recommend)

• Thanks 1

I’ll be visiting NYC for a week later this month. Two days are going to be spent doing stuff for work, but I will be on my own for the rest of the week. 

Any recommendations for me? I have mobility issues which makes walking and stairs difficult but not impossible for very short distances. I prefer indoor as the outdoor heat saps my energy rapidly. (No zoo for me.) Because of my mobility issues, I’m hoping to stick to venues near subway stations.

I was thinking of splurging a bit to see a show or two. I will be on a budget regarding food and transportation. 

I’ll be staying in The Bronx instead of Manhattan (The office I’m visiting is actually north of the city.) It looks like the cheapest way to get between Manhattan and my hotel will be an hour-long combination of the bus and the subway.

I’ve ridden the subway before, but not the bus. Any advice on taking the bus in NYC? Is it safe to ride the bus by myself to get back to my hotel in The Bronx after an evening show? (Years ago I rode the subway at night in a group and was fine, but I’ll be by myself this time and haven’t ridden the bus before.)

It's plenty safe to take the bus by yourself, though the trip will take longer than the train. I'd actually recommend it for you, Kuovonne, as much as possible if you have mobility issues. The buses now all have entrances with no stairs, and that's very not true for the trains. And while *theoretically* trains have elevators and escalators, they don't *all* have them and they're often broken. The MTA has been dragging its feet for a really long time on upgrading stations precisely because any upgrades will have to involve improving accessibility and that's super expensive. (I don't entirely blame them - their funding is in the hands of the state for some incredibly stupid reason (I know the reason, it's stupid) and so they're continually screwed out of the money they need to do the job properly.)

• Thanks 1