Menu

Nintendo DS Game Advice Help

My 7 year old nephew has a Nintendo DS lite and I thought I might get him a game, but know less than zero about these things.

Are there:

1) Any really great "educational" games a 7 year old might like? Or...

2) Any regular games that are just too much fun to pass up?

I have such mixed feelings about kids and electronic gizmos (and I can't believe I'm thinking about "feeding" it) but he's got one and I want to play Santa.

I appreciate any wisdom from the hive.

Bill (the hypocrite :D)

My 7 year old nephew has a Nintendo DS lite and I thought I might get him a game, but know less than zero about these things.

Are there:

1) Any really great "educational" games a 7 year old might like? Or...

2) Any regular games that are just too much fun to pass up?

I have such mixed feelings about kids and electronic gizmos (and I can't believe I'm thinking about "feeding" it) but he's got one and I want to play Santa.

I appreciate any wisdom from the hive.

Bill (the hypocrite :D)

My youngest has Nintendo DS, which she bought with her own money. Her favorites are NintenDogs, Imagine Fashion Designer (hey, she's a girl!), Need for Speed (a racing game). She has other animal games, but the first one is her favorite. She doesn't think Nintendo DS makes any educational games (but I would do a search on Amazon for that, just in case).

Good luck with finding the right gift for your nephew!

- Michelle (another hypocrite; I try to push books, but I'm not always successful! :tongue_smilie: )

My dd12 just bought a DS (used) w/ her birthday money. She only has one game...Pets Dogs 2. It's rather cute. You have a puppy that you purchase furniture, toys, and other stuff for using money that you earn by playing games...I think I've heard my dd playing Crazy Eights, bowling, Go Fish, etc. on the DS. I will say, that we just purchased a 3-game combo for my ds9 who has the older Gameboy Advance. The DS's will play the GameBoy Advance games (at least my dd's does). One of the 3-game combos has Risk, Battleship and Clue (I loved those games) and the other has Payday, Life and Yahtzee (loved those too!). They were fairly cheap. Make sure his Lite can play the Gameboy Advance Games first before you purchase. My son also enjoys this racing game called Corvette. HTH...good to "see" you on the board, Bill!

I learned that handheld game consoles are bad. Very bad. Anyway.

That age would probably like Animal Crossing or Pokemon anything - both of these games have multiple versions available. Brain Age is probably something more palatable to you, but might be a bit above a 7yo.

My kids love Spore on the Mac. Explain to my hubby that "don't buy video games for the kids" means computer games for my Mac too, please. So maybe the Spore for the DS would be good too.

This should be a link to amazon.com with a bunch of educational games. I am having browser issues, sorry if the link doesn't work.

There is a game called "Learn Math" due out next week as well as one called "Spelling Challenges". I'm thinking I am going to get my own dc a couple of these games. We're not huge on game consoles here but my 2 oldest dc are getting a DS each for Christmas this year. Since they are girls, I can't recommend a ton of games for your situation, but the guy at the video game store says one really can't go wrong with any of the Mario games. MarioParty is supposed to be a blast.

Dh and I have downloaded the demo version of Lego Indiana Jones and my 7yo likes to play on the PS3. It's not graphic or anything- it's Lego!

Edited by plain jane

for Christmas. She had one that she sold last year after she moved out and she really missed it. I bought her a bundle with Brain Age.

There are a lot of educational games out for the DS, and a lot of CLEAN kid games too. I'm thinking that depending on what he likes, it should be relatively easy to find something...

I mean, not trying to pick at anyone or anything, but isn't it okay for kids to have things they just enjoy?? Am I totally missing the boat here? My son has had a handheld gaming system since he was 5 years old (maybe even 4). My girls had them too. It has never been a problem and my kids have never been obsessed with them.

Oddly enough, ds (who is quite fond of video games) is probably my most intelligent child of all my kids. At 13, he can already work on and fix just about anything having to do with computers or electronics. He has completely wired a surround sound system in his room. He does woodworking, plays golf, fishes, rides 4-wheelers, etc. The boy learned to read playing Zelda on a Nintendo 64 at age 4 (NO KIDDING!!). I just haven't gotten that, "all video games are evil," vibe.

What am I missing?