Menu

Book a Week 2022 - BW25: Happy Father's Day

Robin M

Happy Sunday!  This week we celebrate our dads. From the serious to the silly, from thoughtful to chatty, from gregarious to introverted. We honor those who we miss and hold close to our hearts.

A Brief History of Father’s Day

Fatherly Advice Given From Famous Dads in Literature 

Celebrate Dads Everywhere With These 10 Books

The 8 Best Dads in Literature, According to Readers

12 most memorable fathers from literature

A Book for Every Kind of Dad on Father’s Day

Read a book with father  or Dad  in the title.

Read a book about Fantastic Dads and Father Figures

Did your dad ever read to you when you were little?  Share memories of books given to you by your father. Which literary father do you like the best?

Our letter and word of the week are Y and Yesterday 

Happy Father's Day to all our dads! 

Link to Book Week 24

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Finished Nightwork and really enjoyed it.  Currently reading Hidden Salem which is #19 in the Bishop/Special Crimes paranormal series by Kay Hooper. 

“Nellie Cavendish has very good reasons to seek out her roots, and not only because she has no memory of her mother and hardly knew the father who left her upbringing to paid caregivers. In the eight years since her twenty-first birthday, very odd things have begun to happen. Crows gather near her wherever she goes, electronics short out when she touches them, and when she’s upset, really upset, it storms. At first, she chalked up the unusual happenings to coincidence, but that explanation doesn't begin to cover the vivid nightmares that torment her. She can no longer pretend to ignore them. She has to find out the truth. And the only starting point she has is a mysterious letter from her father delivered ten years after his death, insisting she go to a town called Salem and risk her life to stop some unnamed evil. Before her thirtieth birthday.

As a longtime member of the FBI's Special Crimes Unit, Grayson Sheridan has learned not to be surprised by the unusual and the macabre--but Salem is different. Evidence of Satanic activities and the disappearance of three strangers to the town are what brought Salem to the attention of the SCU, and when Gray arrives to find his undercover partner vanished, he knows that whatever’s hiding in the seemingly peaceful little town is deadly.  But what actually hides in the shadows and secrets of Salem is unlike anything the agents have ever encountered.”

Middlemarch is still slowly in process.

• Like 3

Robin,  Thank you for the tread.  I think I read a couple of books in the Kay Hooper special crimes series years ago and liked them.  If I wanted to try them again can I just pick one and jump in? Any rec’s  on which one to start with?

I managed to read two different series by Kelley Armstrong this week.  The first being the first in her newest time travel series called A Rip in Time.  It was rather disappointing only  because her other time travel series https://www.goodreads.com/series/296580-a-stitch-in-time is so very good.  For my Bookchain I need a word that could be found in the next book for me in one of Kelley’s long running series that I have never been enthusiastic about,  Rockton.  They are about a little village in the most remote part of the Yukon wilderness filled with people in hiding, sort of the ultimate witness protection with no outside contact available.  I actually enjoyed my audio version more than expected and checked the next book out. https://www.goodreads.com/series/164879-rockton

My mysteries with Religious Characters has been a mixed bag with a couple of books being abandoned.  I did enjoy Katherine Hall Page’s A Body in the Belfry on audio.  Very village cozy with a main character (vicar’s wife)  that was very chatty!  Easy listening so I will continue the series at this point. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24742107-the-body-in-the-belfry

I am currently reading Susan Mallery’s latest summer beach read book.  I love Susan Mallery’s contemporary romances but I to say she does a better book in fewer pages.  These 400 plus pages are a bit of a slog and it’s fluff! And it has a bookshop………. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58939852-the-boardwalk-bookshop

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Robin,  Thank you for the tread.  I think I read a couple of books in the Kay Hooper special crimes series years ago and liked them.  If I wanted to try them again can I just pick one and jump in? Any rec’s  on which one to start with?

The Bishop/SCU series has several trilogies connecting together: Shadows, Evil, Fear, Blood, Haven, and Dark. Jump in with the first book in one of the trilogies, but they are all so so good.

11 hours ago, Negin said:

Thank you for the thread, Robin! Since it’s Father’s Day, and since we all love books, isn’t this image just lovely? I miss reading these books with my children.

Aw, so sweet!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve healed from my eye surgeries and been reading. I finished my 25 books but I’m still reading. Can’t remember my last update though thanks to covid brain fog. It’s not amnesia but geez. It’s not not amnesia either. 

Finished The Witcher series

Just finished The Secret Zoo book 1. I think I did anyways. It just suddenly stopped and my library book was in bad shape so I might have been missing some ending pages.  It was a weird book. I think my young ones would love it.

• Like 7

Thank you, @LaughingCat!

Last night I finished the historical romance, Fortune Favors the Duke (Cambridge Brotherhood Book 1) by Kristin Vayden; this was a pleasant book but not one I'm likely to reread. It's described as a sweet (closed door) romance.

"Quinton Errington is perfectly happy teaching at Cambridge, with his elder brother carrying the duties of being the Duke of Wesley. But when a trip to celebrate Wesley's last week of bachelorhood ends in tragedy, Quinton, who becomes the Duke, would give anything to have his brother back.

Wesley's would-be bride, Catherine Greatheart, is left heartbroken and alone. Her grandmother has fallen ill, and Catherine has nowhere left to turn but to the family she was so close to being part of. The new Duke is kind, and she could use a friend.

Between learning how to be the head of his family, mourning his brother, and trying not to fall in love with his late-brother's fiancée, Quinton will need some help—and it's a good thing he's not alone."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I didn't post last week, so I have a big list built up to share. I whipped through quite a few audio books in a day apiece, on double speed, over the last two weeks. I've only started listening to audio books this year this way, and I love it, though it can be an issue when people enter a room and start talking to me, and I have to pause and ask them to repeat. For some reason, my family does not love this!

Homicide and Halo Halo by Mia P. Manansala, on audio. his is the second book in a newish cozy mystery series, and it's very easy to consume. The amateur sleuth has a family with a restaurant and has just opened a cafe with partners, so food plays a big role.

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, on audio. This is my first read by this bestselling author, and it was enjoyable enough that I will try more. Set in France during WWII, it's the tale of two sisters, each of whom helps the resistance in their own way. Though predictable, it still pulled on my heartstrings at the end.

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas, on audio. This second book in this fantasy series is seriously steamy and very explicit for a book meant for teens. It's been challenged in court as too obscene to sell to minors. I actually skipped forward through some sections, which were too descriptive for my little ears. Honestly, I think the sex scenes easily could have been toned down for the teen audience without losing anything from the story, and I'd be hesitant to put it in the hands of my daughters. But the overall story is amazing, and I will probably go on to read the next in the series, eventually.

YA fantasy used to be my favorite genre, but I switched to mysteries over the past 10-20 years. I'm dipping my toes back in to YA fantasy and am enjoying it.

Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel. The newest by the author of Station Eleven (which I also read recently) also features a pandemic, though in a very different way than Station Eleven. Time travel is an element here, and it's interesting to see how the author weaves several story lines together. One of the perspectives is an author who wrote a pandemic novel and is on a book tour, talking about writing pandemic novels, and I couldn't help think that some of that was inspired by St. John Mandel's own experiences as an author, which made it fun to read.

Slow Horses by Mick Heron, on audio. I added this to my audio list, after seeing that an Apple TV series based on it is coming out (or maybe is out already). I can't say that I loved it, but it has an interesting premise. An office full of MI5 agents who have messed up in the past and have basically been sidelined get pulled into a kidnapping case and prove they have greater skills than expected. I think I might enjoy the TV series more than the books, though we are not Apple TV subscribers at the moment.

The Odyssey on audio. I read this for my scratch-off book poster and didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. I read The Odyssey in high school, and of course I have remembered the basic elements of the tale. I didn't really enjoy the fact that the action is narrated in storytelling form, instead of just happening. On audio, this slowed things down for me -- just get on with the action, already! -- though I did like Dan Stevens as narrator.

• Like 5

And more...

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro, on audio. Though a novel, the precision of language made this read like a short story for me. We follow the "life" of Klara, a robot companion, who first is in a store, waiting to be sold, then adapts to new experiences after being purchased by a young girl's family. The story takes an unexpected twist.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, on audio. This author has perfected the journalistic documentary-style exploration of a fictional famous person. In this case, an Elizabeth-Taylor-like actress. I actually didn't care for the twist at the end, which I kind of saw coming, because it seemed like a plot device instead of ringing true, like most of the rest of the story.

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny, on audio. #2 in the Inspector Gamashe series. People love Penny so much that I decided to give her series another shot, after abandoning it a long time ago. I still cringed at the same thing in this book this time around, but I'm hoping that the issue won't repeat as I move forward in the series.

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear, on audio. First book in a long-running series. I enjoyed it and am interested to move on and find out what else Maisie gets up to.

• Like 6

And more!

The Investigator by John Sandford, on audio. This new release is the first in the Letty Davenport series. Letty is the daughter of Lucas Davenport in Sandford's long running series. I haven't read that, other than the first one, so I thought I'd jump in at a good starting point. I may read the second when it comes out, but maybe I won't. Sandford likes to spend a lot of time in the villain's POV, which I didn't like with the first Luke D. book. So I'll see. Letty has her first job working as a Homeland Security investigator. Lots of conversation about the benefits of various kinds of guns, which is not really my thing.

Taste by Stanley Tucci, on audio. The famous actor discusses the importance of food in his life, from his earliest childhood memories of home cooked Italian and Twinkies, through various foods experienced while traveling and eating with other famous people, to what it's like to eat on set for films, to his recent experience with treatment of oral cancer, which required him to eat through a feeding tube for over a year. Hearing Tucci read this memoir himself added to the experience. It's definitely a food-centric book, not a full memoir of his acting career or life.

What Happened to the Bennetts by Lisa Scottoline, on audio. I've read a fair number of her books (maybe 1/4 or 1/3?), and I'd place this one in the Meh category. Standard thriller. After their daughter dies in a carjacking, the Bennetts go into witness protection, and Jason determines to figure out on his own what really happened.

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad, on audio. I'm almost finished with this book that I am ONLY reading for my scratch-off book poster, and I cannot wait for it to be over. It is a slog. Meandering and convoluted tale about a person that I don't care about, with lots of side stories about other people that don't interest me. Why is this on the poster of 100 best books? I don't think it belongs. Nope.

• Like 5

And finally, a book that gets it's own post, because it is just that good --

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. Read this one! The main character, Elizabeth Zott, is a chemist in the fifties and is not taken seriously as a woman in a male-dominated field. Especially after she becomes an unwed mother. Her life takes a turn when she is offered a job teaching cooking on television, which she does in a spectacularly unexpected fashion. Elizabeth is an atheist, and I am a Christian, so I don't see eye to eye with the characters on questions of faith, but I don't expect to when I'm reading popular fiction. (Thought I'd mention that for people who like to know about spiritual content).  Love the characters. Love the story structure. Love the plot. Fun and heartwarming.  Love love love.

Perhaps my favorite book of the year.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas, on audio. This second book in this fantasy series is seriously steamy and very explicit for a book meant for teens. It's been challenged in court as too obscene to sell to minors. I actually skipped forward through some sections, which were too descriptive for my little ears. Honestly, I think the sex scenes easily could have been toned down for the teen audience without losing anything from the story, and I'd be hesitant to put it in the hands of my daughters. But the overall story is amazing, and I will probably go on to read the next in the series, eventually.

I love the ACOTAR series, ACOMAF being my favorite of the bunch. I cannot understand why it’s marketed as YA. I have a 14 year old DD who’s just starting to read some YA, and I have to monitor the books she chooses a bit because of series like this one. 🤣 It’s a bit much for her age. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. Read this one! The main character, Elizabeth Zott, is a chemist in the fifties and is not taken seriously as a woman in a male-dominated field. Especially after she becomes an unwed mother. Her life takes a turn when she is offered a job teaching cooking on television, which she does in a spectacularly unexpected fashion. Elizabeth is an atheist, and I am a Christian, so I don't see eye to eye with the characters on questions of faith, but I don't expect to when I'm reading popular fiction. (Thought I'd mention that for people who like to know about spiritual content).  Love the characters. Love the story structure. Love the plot. Fun and heartwarming.  Love love love.

This book has been on my radar…maybe I’ll have to give it a try! 

• Like 4

I just finished Doctors and Friends.  Loved it.  It is the story of 7 women doctors that are friends as they go through a pandemic.  Written BEFORE COVID, it is utterly chilling in parts.

I would put a trigger warning though for anyone who has really struggled with COVID or loss due to COVID.

0C9A0813-831B-4A02-B9FB-59A2C0BBB8FF.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Storygirl said:

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

I enjoyed this, too!

Regards,

Kareni

I am going to have to read this!  The description doesn’t call to me but with everybody loving it I suspect I will too.

Btw Maisie Dobbs is a wonderful series especially on audio.  I hope you enjoy it!  Gamache is pretty good 😉on audio too.  The narrator changes around book 9 or 10 due to the death of Ralph Cosham and I am not as fond of the books after the narrator shift.  I actually like the new narrator so it’s more a case of storylines.

• Like 4

I just finished a book that I quite enjoyed, See You Yesterday by Rachel Lynn Solomon. It features two college students who are trapped in a time loop and live the same day over and over again.

"Barrett Bloom is hoping college will be a fresh start after a messy high school experience. But when school begins on September 21st, everything goes wrong. She’s humiliated by the know-it-all in her physics class, she botches her interview for the college paper, and at a party that night, she accidentally sets a frat on fire. She panics and flees, and when she realizes her roommate locked her out of their dorm, she falls asleep in the common room.

The next morning, Barrett’s perplexed to find herself back in her dorm room bed, no longer smelling of ashes and crushed dreams. It’s September 21st. Again. And after a confrontation with Miles, the guy from Physics 101, she learns she’s not alone—he’s been trapped for months.

When her attempts to fix her timeline fail, she agrees to work with Miles to find a way out. Soon they’re exploring the mysterious underbelly of the university and going on wild, romantic adventures. As they start falling for each other, they face the universe’s biggest unanswered question yet: what happens to their relationship if they finally make it to tomorrow?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I'm having a little cheese with my whine....  LOL!!!   4 1/2 weeks after fracturing rib and it's one step forward, two steps back every few days. My back muscles are so stressed, I'm sitting with heating pad most of the time while I'm at home so reading a lot.   I was having a crappy day the other day at work and totally lost my temper with one of my technicians. But it was deserved as I caught him in a lie and now he's going to have to work to gain my trust again. 

I finished Hidden Salem which was good except they spent too much time on the build up and just a few pages on the climatic part.  Also finished two paranormal romances by Jayne Castle and her alter ego Jayne Ann Krentz with Illusion Town (#14 Harmony) and The Vanishing (#1 Fogg Lake) .

Started a military romantic suspense drama -  DeathWatch by Dana Morton, #1 in her Broslin series, about a woman running and trying to stay one step ahead of an assassin. 

Picked up the 2nd book in Empire Drowning series - Bone Shard Emperor by Andrea Stewart, and another library mystery, Department of Rare Books & Special Collections by Eva Jurczyk the other day.  Looking forward to reading both sooner, rather than later. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Robin M said:

4 1/2 weeks after fracturing rib and it's one step forward, two steps back every few days. My back muscles are so stressed, I'm sitting with heating pad most of the time while I'm at home so reading a lot.  

Robin, I hope that you feel better very soon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I stayed up late last night finishing A Grave Calling (Bodies of Evidence Book 1) by Wendy Roberts. I enjoyed this mystery featuring a woman who finds the dead by dowsing; it managed to surprise me. Content warnings for alcoholism, physical abuse, and murders.

"There had been no attempt to bury the dead girl, naked except for the white ribbon tied to her wrist.

Twenty-five-year-old Julie Hall has a unique ability: when she takes up a dowsing rod, she finds not water but bodies. To Julie, it's a curse, not a gift, and one she rarely uses—she prefers her quiet life in a trailer, with her grandfather and her dog for company. But when FBI agent Garrett Pierce shows up at her door seeking help with a case, she has no choice but to assist with their search.  

Three girls are still missing. The killer is still out there. As bodies are discovered and more girls disappear, the case becomes almost more than Julie can bear. And when the killer turns his sights toward her, even her growing relationship with the protective Agent Garrett may not be enough to save her."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Another late night as I stayed up to finish Funny You Should Ask: A Novel by Elissa SussmanI quite enjoyed this book and could well reread it.

"Then. Twenty-something writer Chani Horowitz is stuck. While her former MFA classmates are nabbing high-profile book deals, all she does is churn out puff pieces. Then she’s hired to write a profile of movie star Gabe Parker: her number one celebrity crush and the latest James Bond. All Chani wants to do is keep her cool and nail the piece. But what comes next proves to be life changing in ways she never saw coming, as the interview turns into a whirlwind weekend that has the tabloids buzzing—and Chani getting closer to Gabe than she had planned. 

Now. Ten years later, after a brutal divorce and a healthy dose of therapy, Chani is back in Los Angeles as a successful writer with the career of her dreams. Except that no matter what new essay collection or online editorial she’s promoting, someone always asks about The Profile. It always comes back to Gabe. So when his PR team requests that they reunite for a second interview, she wants to say no. She wants to pretend that she’s forgotten about the time they spent together. But the truth is that Chani wants to know if those seventy-two hours were as memorable to Gabe as they were to her. And so . . . she says yes.

Alternating between their first meeting and their reunion a decade later, this deliciously irresistible novel will have you hanging on until the last word."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

On 6/19/2022 at 12:49 PM, Murphy101 said:

I’ve healed from my eye surgeries and been reading. I finished my 25 books but I’m still reading. Can’t remember my last update though thanks to covid brain fog. It’s not amnesia but geez. It’s not not amnesia either. 

Glad to hear you've healed and back to reading! Sorry to hear about the covid brain fog. Hope you feel better soon.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:52 PM, Storygirl said:

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, on audio. This is my first read by this bestselling author, and it was enjoyable enough that I will try more. Set in France during WWII, it's the tale of two sisters, each of whom helps the resistance in their own way. Though predictable, it still pulled on my heartstrings at the end.

I loved The Nightingale and enjoy Kristin Hannah's books.  The very first book I read of hers was Night Road back in 2011 and have been reading her stories ever since.  I currently have The Secret Keeper plus Magic Hours in my tbr.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:52 PM, Storygirl said:

I got the four book bundle in ebook and look forward to reading it.  One thing I discovered is I can't listen to steamy love stories on audible. I get embarrassed even though I'm alone in the car, thinking the people in the  car stopped next to me at the stop light will hear so would turn it way down. LOL!  Decided rather would read a steamy love scene than listen. 

Thanks for all the great reviews. I have many of the same books. 

• Like 5

Just reread The Hunger Games as my tween negotiated to be allowed to read them . .. I had forgotten just how bleak they are, let along the sexual violence etc. I am going to hide the 3rd one I think.

Read another 2 books by the authors of Linesman (Stars Beyond/Stars Uncharted), which were interesting sci-fi with a couple of good characters. Cool to see the authors are sisters from Melbourne, Australia.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

Stars Beyond/Stars Uncharted...

I enjoyed these but the Linesman books I count as true favorites.

I don't recall where you are located, @bookbard. Feel free to send me a personal message if you'd rather not answer here. (Or ignore the question entirely!)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I read a second (unrelated) book by author Wendy Roberts. It was an enjoyable read, but I preferred the prior book.

"Barista Jen Hamby's coworkers give her a hard time for bringing coffee and pastries to a homeless man who sits outside her café--but she has a secret. The scruffy man is her father.
She's also hiding the little matter of why her palm itches. But how can she explain that her hand has a mind of its own and writes messages from the beyond? Right. That'll get her Employee of the Month.
When she finds herself scrawling 
your boyfriend is cheating on you! to herself on the bathroom mirror, she immediately dumps the guy. But then his little fling--who just happens to be her half sister--turns up dead, and suddenly Jen's homeless father is the prime suspect.
Jen knows he is being framed and must take matters into her own hands to protect him. But will anyone believe that the crazy old man is innocent? Or that his spirit-writing daughter holds the truth?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2