Menu

June Healthy Eating

Selkie

19 hours ago, Selkie said:

Dinner - Creamy Italian gnocchi soup (Monkey and Me recipe) with lots of veggies (carrots, green beans, green peas, corn, garlic, onion) and spinach gnocchi.

@SelkieThank you for mentioning this Monkey and Me recipe for gnocchi soup. It looks so delicious! (And BTW, your posts are always very inspiring to me and I'm working on following in your footsteps health/diet-wise. So I really appreciate you.☺️ )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TarynB said:

@SelkieThank you for mentioning this Monkey and Me recipe for gnocchi soup. It looks so delicious! (And BTW, your posts are always very inspiring to me and I'm working on following in your footsteps health/diet-wise. So I really appreciate you.☺️ )

You're welcome! We're looking forward to having the soup again tonight. I always make a double batch of Monkey and Me's soups so we have lots of leftovers and can enjoy them for a few days.🙂

• Like 1

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas, cherries, guava, banana, nectarine, peach, blueberries, apple, pear, kiwi, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, diced black bean burger, beets, zucchini, summer squash, edamame, cukes, mini peppers, the last little bit of hummus, the last little bit of Greek vinaigrette. An orange.

Dinner - Leftover creamy Italian gnocchi soup. Two date nut energy bites.

• Like 1

Thursday-

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 apple cinnamon flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple crisps, cheese 

dinner- asparagus, corn, green beans, rotisserie chicken, flaxseed brownie bite. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 1

Thursday- breakfast- fast 

lunch- mixed greens, romaine, microgreens, butter beans, pumpkin seeds, roasted chicken, balsamic and olive oil, flackers with cheddar cheese, pistachios 

dinner- 1/2 cliff bar before pickleball. Too tired to eat when I got home 🙂 

• Like 2

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with adzuki beans, banana, cherries, blueberries, kiwi, apple, pear, nectarine, peach, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Black bean burger wrap with cashew mayo, sriracha, dijon mustard, beets, cukes, scallions, tomato, bell pepper, mixed greens.

Dinner - Salad with mixed greens and lettuces, baked potato wedges, scallions, kalamata olives, WFPB herb vinaigrette. Two date nut energy bites.

• Like 1

Friday- 

breakfast- Asian mixed cabbage salad with chicken 

lunch- sprouted raw cracker with avocado and sliced tomato. Mixed berries with chia seeds topped with keto nut granola 

dinner- cheese and triscuits, artichoke dip, baby green salad with cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, pumpkin seeds, garbanzo beans. Pork tenderloin and two bow tie noodles covered in red sauce. 1 bite of chocolate Bundt cake. Wine. 

• Like 2

Friday-

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms, mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese

snack - some chocolate covered mangos

dinner - gf pizza - the first I have had in at least two years I think.  I actually didn't want it but the person organizing the reunion pizza dinner had a mini fit when I said that I was bringing my own food so I gave in.  Then I got there and saw another classmate with her own healthy food.  Sigh.  I should have stuck to my guns like she did.  It was tasty but like I suspected, my sugars went sky high. 

But they are normal now. 

• Like 1

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage sprouts. Muesli with pigeon peas, mango, kiwi, nectarine, peach, banana, blueberries, blackberries, apple, pear, pineapple, fig, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Black bean burger wrap with cashew mayo, sriracha, dijon mustard, scallions, cukes, tomatoes, beets, bell peppers, turnip greens.

Dinner - Veggie spring rolls and stir fry with udon noodles, carrots, celery, onions, Napa cabbage, bean sprouts. Watermelon and a G-BOMBS bar.

• Like 2

Saturday- 

breakfast- mixed berries, hemp, chia, flax, keto granola 

lunch- roasted Brussels with pine nuts and corn, bruschetta, fried green tomato

dinner- BLT, chips, watermelon 

@Selkieon some post you mentioned a guy named Dr B. I listened to several podcasts he was a guest on and really did like what he had to say. Thanks for the tip! I have his book on hold at the library. 

• Like 2

Saturday-

then food was all over the place the rest of the day because we made stops at odd hours for things and lunch was 1 1/2 hours later than I usually eat.

mango iced tea/ gf peanut butter cookie (this would be my normal lunch time)

raspberry sorbet

“lunch”- salad (field greens, feta, blueberries, strawberries, apple, walnuts)

dinner- salmon, mashed potatoes, asparagus

hard boiled eggs  

• Like 2

Sunday- 

I took advantage of early morning exercise plan and had half a bagel and raspberries for breakfast. 

lunch- salad with red pepper, radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, pumpkin seeds, garbanzo beans, chicken with balsamic and olive oil

Snack - cashews

dinner- fried chicken, green beans, potato salad, tiny serving of peach crisp. 

I made it to 44 different plant products this week. And zero Diet Coke. I’m pretty proud of myself:) I hope my gut microbiome is happy too! 

• Like 3

Sunday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, goat cheese, one slice of leftover gf pizza 

snack- the last leftover gf pizza 

dinner- pork carnitas, ranch beans. A tiny bit of a gf df carrot cake to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary. But the cake wasn’t very good and I didn’t eat much. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I made it to 44 different plant products this week. And zero Diet Coke. I’m pretty proud of myself:) I hope my gut microbiome is happy too! 

Wow, well done! I'm sure your gut is loving it! Hope you enjoy reading Fiber Fueled. Dr. B is one of my favorites.  I have learned so much fascinating info about the gut microbiome from him, and he's pretty funny, too. Dr. Alan Desmond is another good one - he wrote a book about gut health and does lots of podcast interviews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage sprouts. Muesli with adzuki beans, apricot, banana, plum, nectarine, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens and lettuces, kaniwa, mini peppers, mushrooms, beets, cauliflower, sweet potato, WFPB herb vinaigrette.

Dinner - Tunisian chickpea orzo soup from Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures. I had this recipe on my "to try" list for a couple months and finally got around to making it. It is super spicy and so good!  Chickpeas, tomatoes, kale, orzo, onion, garlic, veg broth, loads of spices, and a little bit of hummus (to cool down the spiciness). Plus, I threw in some roasted mushrooms. Also had veggies & dip - carrots, celery, radishes, and bell pepper with WFPB lemon sunflower dip. And a little bit of watermelon and two date nut energy bites.

• Like 1

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with cranberry beans, blueberries, cherries, nectarine, banana, apple, pear, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Sprouted whole grain wrap with pinto beans, cauliflower, beets, jalapeño, scallions, cashew mayo, sriracha, mixed greens.

Dinner - Leftover Tunisian chickpea orzo soup and a salad with mixed greens, carrots, celery, radishes, WFPB lemon sunflower seed dressing.

• Like 1

Monday

breakfast- fast 

lunch- mixed baby greens salad with radishes, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli, pumpkin seeds, chicken, balsamic. Potato salad 

snack- cashews 

dinner- manchego, pistachios, a mixed berries “pudding” with basil seeds, flax and keto granola topping. 

• Like 2

Monday-

breakfast/ keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, riced sweet potatoes, vegan chao, 1/2 apple cinnamon flaxseed muffin, chocolate covered mangoes 

snack- pistachios 

dinner- pulled pork with sugar free bbq sauce, potato salad, broccoli salad, chocolate covered mangoes 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

I tried amaranth for the first time today. I made it as a hot porridge then added a very small amount of maple syrup and ceylon cinnamon. I like it! So much protein, calcium, and iron! It’s a new super food I like and will be another way to get more of these nutrients. You can also pop it like popcorn! I may try that tomorrow. 

I also made pancakes from bananas and oat flour. I ate them plain with nothing on them. 

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar while running errands. Then later, kale and cabbage sprouts. Muesli with soybeans, apricot, plum, nectarine, apple, pear, blueberries, banana, cherries, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Celery, carrots, and mini peppers with lemon sunflower seed dip.

Dinner - A big Greek salad with arugula, spinach, Napa cabbage, turnip greens, tofu "feta", kaniwa, red onion, cukes, tomatoes, radishes, kalamata olives, roasted red pepper, pepperoncini, WFPB Greek dressing. Also made quinoa flatbreads and topped them with WFPB cream "cheese", Everything Bagel seasoning, and Japanese 7 spice.

• Like 1

I don’t know. I try, but every day I eat at least one thing that messes up my day:) and I have to keep telling myself I am eating healthier for the most part. Just still not losing any weight. 

Tuesday

breakfast- cashews

lunch- chipotle veggie salad with guacamole, mixed greens, black beans, fajita veggies, And about 8 tortilla chips that spiked my sugar.

dinner- wine, bruschetta, roasted Brussel sprouts with corn, steak with chimichurri sauce. 

Edited by Toocrazy!!
  • Like 2

Tuesday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, riced sweet potatoes, vegan chao, 1/2 apple cinnamon flaxseed muffin, chocolate covered mangoes 

snack- apple with cheese 

dinner- pulled pork with sugar free bbq sauce, potato salad, broccoli salad, chocolate covered mangoes 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with cranberry beans, cantaloupe, pineapple, plum, nectarine, kiwi, banana, apple, pear, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Sprouted whole grain wrap with avocado, pinto beans, beets, red onion, jalapeño, tomato, sriracha, mustard greens. An orange and a G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Leftover Greek salad and quinoa flatbread from last night. Also a steamed artichoke and sweet corn.

• Like 1

Thursday- traveling again. It’s hard to do well. 

breakfast- skip

lunch- potato salad. Ok, I’ve tried this a couple times now and it spikes me. I thought not at first, but no such luck. snack- half sprouted cracker with peanut butter

dinner- wine, Greek salad, pizza. 

• Like 2

Wednesday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, goat cheese, 1/2 apple cinnamon flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares

snack- small bag of Kettle salt and vinegar chips, a mint-chocolate square

dinner- pulled pork with sugar free bbq sauce, mixed green salad

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Not for today, but we were on vacation last week (Disneyland) and I found quite a few healthy options.  These were my favorite, though, and we'll be trying to work similar recipes into our diets at home:

Grand Californian quick service: Chia seed pudding made with coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and fresh fruit

Cafe Orleans (Disneyland, NO Square): ratatouille farro risotto.  I don't know if I would call it either a ratatouille or risotto, but it was a very filling, light feeling dish.

Trader Sam's: Rongo salad with edamame, tofu, green papaya, gooseberries.  It needed a little extra, so when we make it at home I'll probably replace the (hard to get) gooseberries with a mango.  Similar tangy base flavor, but more creamy and filling.

I did not try anything with Impossible meat, so that meant quite a few vegetarian options were off the table from the beginning.  And the cauliflower tacos were not good at all for people who don't like broccoli. They were well spiced but could not cover the flavor of riced cauliflower so it was just weird.

But the three meals above were fabulous and I think we can work them into our diets without problem at all.

• Like 1

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Daikon and broccoli microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, cantaloupe, pineapple, pear, apple, blueberries, banana, plum, guava, nectarine, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Sprouted whole grain wrap with avocado, tofu, sriracha, red onions, cukes, tomatoes, mixed greens. An ear of corn. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Sprouted whole grain wrap with bbq tempeh (Shane & Simple recipe), topped with vinegar coleslaw (Monkey & Me recipe). Warm dijon potato salad on the side (also a Monkey & Me recipe). Watermelon for dessert.

• Like 1

Thursday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/3 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with cheese 

dinner- cashew chicken ( chicken, cashews, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, bell peppers, zucchini, onions, Chinese pea pods). Brown rice 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

https://www.notenoughcinnamon.com/vegan-cajun-gumbo/

This looks close - mine had red kidney beans instead of cauliflower, and it said the okra was pickled. Although, the dish was pretty spicy and I didn’t notice the pickling. It was really tasty. 

Oh my that looks good.  I really love cauliflower, so maybe I will add both.