Menu

June Healthy Eating

Selkie

Sunday

Aches today due to vaccine, but so thankful for medical science! Dh and I slept in as long as we could, ate breakfast, and then slept some more.

Breakfast--Eggs, potatoes, bacon, grapefruit, green tea. Dh cannot conceive of a Sunday that does not start with a fabulous breakfast.

Lunch--Half a grilled chicken breast, banana, gf pumpkin muffins.

Snack--Tea (S), cherries, just a smidge dark chocolate, popcorn later while watching a movie with dh.

Dinner--Another half grilled chicken breast, tea (S).

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Sunday

Aches today due to vaccine, but so thankful for medical science! Dh and I slept in as long as we could, ate breakfast, and then slept some more.

Breakfast--Eggs, potatoes, bacon, grapefruit, green tea. Dh cannot conceive of a Sunday that does not start with a fabulous breakfast.

Lunch--Half a grilled chicken breast, banana, gf pumpkin muffins.

Snack--Tea (S), cherries, just a smidge dark chocolate, popcorn later while watching a movie with dh.

Dinner--Another half grilled chicken breast, tea (S).

What does tea (S) mean?

Monday

breakfast- couple hash browns shared with my dog:) 

lunch- berries with chia and flax, toast with avocado 

dinner- romaine, chicken, feta, pumpkin seeds, hemp, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Toast with almond butter. 

still hungry 😞 but trying not to eat any more today. 

• Like 3

Monday-

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with goat cheese 

dinner- chicken tikka masala with cauliflower and broccoli rice with onions, bell peppers and lime juice. Chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with chickpeas, mango, kiwi, cherries, nectarine, apple, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Diced steamed sweet potato with black beans, zucchini, summer squash, cauliflower, radishes, mushrooms, tomatoes, scallions, salsa. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Arugula and spinach salad with bbq tempeh and farro. I made two new oil-free wfpb dressings today, both from Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures - creamy Mediterranean olive dressing (which is going to be a regular cuz it is so good - cashew based with kalamata & green olives) and Greek vinaigrette (also excellent).

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Daikon, broccoli, and kale microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, kiwi, nectarine, blueberries, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Wrap with mashed avocado, Everything Bagel seasoning, sriracha, crispy tofu, black beans, edamame, romaine, a drizzle of Greek vinaigrette. Two mandarins and a G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Big salad with arugula, spinach, frisée, romaine, cauliflower, edamame, sweet potato, tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, scallions, bbq tempeh, farro, Mediterranean olive dressing. Watermelon.

Dessert - Vanilla macadamia nice cream (frozen banana + macadamias + walnut milk + vanilla). Perfect for a hot and humid night.

• Like 2

I haven’t posted here in awhile. We’ve been out of town quite a bit since mid May. A 10 day road trip to Dallas and San Antonio, a trip to Jacksonville, FL to transport our precious foster dog to her new home. I had Marriott points to burn, so I stayed a few days at the beach. Then there was an out of town funeral and, just last weekend, an out of town wedding. I gained all of my weight back. Very discouraging. 

This week I’ve really been focusing on making the most of the Zoe program. I have to say I’m pretty impressed with it. I think my biggest criticism is that at this point in the program it would be really helpful to have another 2 weeks with a cgm since I’m eating mostly high scoring meals and learning how to combine foods to flatten my blood sugar curve. I just need to get over it and start pricking my finger again. 😕

Lunch today: smoked chicken thigh skin removed, half an avocado diced up with romaine. 1/2 tbs ranch dressing. 

Dinner was pinto beans (first time cooking from dry), simmered with dark beer, veggie broth, bacon, and ham. Collard greens. 

I have never been a fan of beans, but with food prices increasing and Zoe scoring them so high, I’m forcing myself to acquire a taste for them. I really misjudged beans as just empty carbs before. I had no idea how nutritious they can be. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

Slightly slacking.  It's a high energy month, though, so it balances out (65 miles on the bike this week followed by 10 mile daily walks next week and kayaking/15 mile hike the week after)

Tuesday:

Breakfast: peanut butter toast (natural peanut butter, whole wheat bread), coffee

Lunch: pasta salad w/veggies, greek yogurt, slice of ds's cake that he made

Dinner: pulled pork sandwich w/homemade bbq sauce, baked potato.  I had an ear of roasted corn on my plate and didn't even touch it.

• Like 3

Tuesday:

Breakfast--Gf pumpkin muffins, banana

Lunch--Jambalaya soup and two johnnycakes

Snacks--dark chocolate,

Dinner--Beef street tacos, big salad

Wednesday:

Breakfast--Df yoghurt and low-sugar granola, green tea

Lunch--leftover beef street tacos, also fresh guacamole

Snack--dark chocolate

Dinner--Big salad and not sure what else. It will either be organic kielbasa with sauerkraut OR we will thaw something. I had put together a zillion individual meal servings for ds and he did not make it through all of them when the school year ended. Dh and I are trying to soldier through them. They're all healthy and made from scratch, so no worries there.

Edited to add: Dinner ended up being Chaat Masala Black-eyed Peas with rice and a big salad. Cherries later as dessert. YUMMY.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar while I was running errands. Then a muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, cherries, nectarine, apple, figs, blueberries, blackberries, mulberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Didn't eat lunch because I had a late breakfast.

Dinner - An artichoke and some asparagus (steamed in my three tiered steamer, my favorite kitchen appliance ever) with WFPB Greek vinaigrette for dipping. Also had a salad with mixed greens, romaine, cauliflower, scallions, cucumber, tomatoes, sweet potato, bbq tempeh, the last little bit of farro, WFPB creamy Mediterranean olive dressing. Dessert was two pluots and a couple spoonfuls of frozen dragonfruit.

• Like 2

Thursday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with peanut chocolate butter 

dinner- ginger, garlic meatballs; stir fry vegetables (onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, bok choy, carrots, yellow squash, cabbage, mung bean sprouts); chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and kale sprouts. Muesli with guava, banana, blueberries, nectarine, apple, pear, mango, cherries, mulberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, frisée, romaine, adzuki and black beans, cucumber, zucchini, summer squash, cauliflower, asparagus, scallions, blackberries, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, creamy Med. olive dressing.

Dinner - Veg sushi - nori, steamed tofu, avocado, brown rice, scallions, panko, sesame seeds, lots of greens (dh is looking for ways to add more greens to his diet, so I stuffed the sushi full of them). Pluots.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 11:57 PM, popmom said:

This week I’ve really been focusing on making the most of the Zoe program. I have to say I’m pretty impressed with it. I think my biggest criticism is that at this point in the program it would be really helpful to have another 2 weeks with a cgm since I’m eating mostly high scoring meals and learning how to combine foods to flatten my blood sugar curve. I just need to get over it and start pricking my finger again. 😕

I have never been a fan of beans, but with food prices increasing and Zoe scoring them so high, I’m forcing myself to acquire a taste for them. I really misjudged beans as just empty carbs before. I had no idea how nutritious they can be. 

Interesting that you are doing Zoe, because Dr. Will Bulsiewicz (author of Fiber Fueled, who has been mentioned on this board frequently by me and a few others) is now the US Medical Director of Zoe. I have learned a ton from him about gut health and how it affects overall health, both physical and mental. He's been my greatest source of information and inspiration for increasing the plant diversity in my diet. I hope Zoe works out well for you!

• Thanks 1

Friday- 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- sweet potato crackers,goat cheese 

dinner for dh’s birthday- pit roasted salmon, mashed potatoes, seasoned green beans with bell peppers;  one scoop of the most beautiful vanilla ice cream ever 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar on the way to an appointment. Then had broccoli and kale sprouts and a muesli/bean bowl with cranberry beans, banana, mango, blueberries, apple, pear, nectarine, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Leftover veg/tofu sushi.

Dinner - White bean potato chili (onion, jalapeños, celery, carrots, garlic, veg broth, lime juice, nutritional yeast, Yukon Gold potatoes, green chiles, chickpeas, cannellini beans, corn, mushrooms, kale, lots of spices). Watermelon for dessert.

• Like 3

Saturday-

snack- sweet potato crackers, hummus 

dinner- mixed greens, mushrooms, green onions, munster cheese, poppyseed dressing, chicken 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with adzuki beans, guava, banana, nectarine, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, blackberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Brown rice and hibachi vegetables (broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, onions) from our favorite food truck. Also had a small & simple salad of freshly picked lettuce and dill topped with Greek vinaigrette. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Salad with butter lettuce, arugula, black beans, cauliflower, radishes, bell pepper, tomatoes, scallions, beets, tangerine-stuffed olives, creamy Med. olive dressing. Sprouted whole grain toast and watermelon.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Muesli/bean bowl with adzuki beans, guava, banana, nectarine, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, blackberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

So, I'm not a healthy enough eater to post here, but I have been wondering for a long time, what is a muesli/bean bowl?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

So, I'm not a healthy enough eater to post here, but I have been wondering for a long time, what is a muesli/bean bowl?

I mix beans in with my muesli every morning. I got the idea from Dr. Greger (of How Not to Die fame), who recommends three servings of beans a day. I started out using white beans (like cannellini) that have a mild taste and aren't that noticeable in a bowl full of muesli, nuts, seeds, and fruit. But now I am such a bean fan that I throw any old kind in there. I keep several kinds of cooked beans in the freezer so I can mix it up from day to day.

40 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I have never had the impression that any particular kind of menu is required to post on this thread. We all post because it helps us to meet our own goals. I know that my goals aren’t necessarily the same as other people’s. But everyone has been nothing but encouraging. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

I mix beans in with my muesli every morning. I got the idea from Dr. Greger (of How Not to Die fame), who recommends three servings of beans a day. I started out using white beans (like cannellini) that have a mild taste and aren't that noticeable in a bowl full of muesli, nuts, seeds, and fruit. But now I am such a bean fan that I throw any old kind in there. I keep several kinds of cooked beans in the freezer so I can mix it up from day to day.

I’ve been wondering if I could freeze the pinto beans I cooked recently. I’m getting over a stomach virus, so they’ve been sitting in the fridge several days. Any tips? Do you use zipper bags? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, popmom said:

I’ve been wondering if I could freeze the pinto beans I cooked recently. I’m getting over a stomach virus, so they’ve been sitting in the fridge several days. Any tips? Do you use zipper bags? 

Yep, I cook the beans, let them cool, put them in ziploc bags, and freeze. 

Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

I feel like I should confess my Saturday terrible eating day! 

breakfast- bagel with butter 

lunch- fried chicken 

dinner- wine, cheese, and potato chips 

We’re doing a cookout for Father’s Day I don’t anticipate being much healthier. 

Hopefully I’ll get back on track tomorrow:) 

• Like 4

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with cranberry beans, cantaloupe, kiwi, guava, mango, nectarine, apple, pear, figs, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with arugula, romaine, black beans, radishes, tomatoes, scallions, bell peppers, sweet potato, watermelon, Greek vinaigrette.

Dinner - Thai food for Father's Day. Veggie spring rolls and green curry with tofu, Japanese eggplant, green beans, green peas, kaffir lime leaves, Thai basil. Served over brown rice. Yum.

Dessert - Vanilla nice cream (frozen bananas + macadamias + walnut milk + vanilla)

• Like 3

Sunday-

lunch- cup of garden vegetable soup (Beans, carrots, celery, corn, mushrooms, onions, peppers, potatoes and zucchini in a light tomato broth.). Half of a apple walnut salad ( All-natural grilled chicken breast, crumbled blue cheese, grapes, apples, dried cranberries and candied walnuts,mixed greens)

snack- pistachios, chocolate squares 

dinner- ginger, garlic meatballs; stir fry vegetables (onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, bok choy, carrots, yellow squash, cabbage, mung bean sprouts); chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

Monday- back in the groove 🙂 

breakfast- skipped

lunch- pistachios, salad with arugula spinach, hemp, pumpkin seeds roasted red and green peppers, zucchini, squash, red onion, balsamic and olive oil 

dinner- same salad and chia, flax and mixed berries, dark chocolate 

ETA- my salad also had butter beans and microgreens on it. Forgot😀 

Edited by Toocrazy!!
  • Like 3

Monday-  

snack- apple with cheddar cheese 

dinner- SW skillet (ground turkey, black beans, corn, bell peppers, onions, vegan cheese, guacamole, vegan “sour cream “)

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with adzuki beans, cantaloupe, blueberries, guava, kiwi, nectarine, banana, pluot, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Veggie sandwich with Ezekiel bread, cashew mayo, sriracha, dijon mustard, carrots, radishes, bell pepper, scallions, broccoli and cabbage microgreens. Two mandarins.

Dinner - Salad with mixed greens, arugula, edamame, kaniwa, sweet potato, tomatoes, scallions, mini peppers, Greek vinaigrette. Watermelon and two blueberry coconut Pop'ems (little energy bites).

• Like 3

Monday

Breakfast—Cheerios w cashew milk and a banana

Lunch—A handful of leftover meatballs w sauce; later I had a small bunless burger.

Snack—Fries (Salt craving! I keep saying I will plan for this but have not done so yet.), also dark chocolate and an apple.

Dinner—Grilled lamb kebab, salad, gf falafel

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with canary beans, blueberries, guava, nectarine, banana, apple, pear, kiwi, cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two wraps with tofu, carrots, jalapeños, bell pepper, scallions, turnip greens, cashew mayo, sriracha, dijon mustard.

Dinner - Black bean/red pepper burger with pickles, arugula, scallions, cashew mayo, Espelette mustard. Yukon Gold oven fries. Steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and mushrooms. Watermelon and two date nut energy bites.

• Like 3

Tuesday -

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with cheddar cheese 

dinner- leftover Southwestern skillet (ground turkey, black beans, bell peppers, onions, corn, vegan cheese, vegan “sour cream “, guacamole), chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Tuesday

Breakfast- apple cider vinegar in water with a handful of pistachios 

lunch- romaine, microgreens, feta with red wine vinegar. Raw seed cracker with half avocado, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, dark chocolate 

dinner- skirt steak with chimichurri sauce, asparagus, green beans, spinach pecan blue cheese salad, cheese and mustard, chocolate covered strawberry. 

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas, cherries, blueberries, cantaloupe, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, nectarine, banana, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Hummus and veggies (celery, carrots, bell pepper, cukes). Two mandarins.

Dinner - Creamy Italian gnocchi soup (Monkey and Me recipe) with lots of veggies (carrots, green beans, green peas, corn, garlic, onion) and spinach gnocchi.

• Like 3

Wednesday 

breakfast- pistachios and walnuts 

lunch- baby greens with chicken, butter beans, hemp and pumpkin seeds, tomato, balsamic and olive oil

dinner- taco meat with guacamole, salsa, tiny amount of black beans and tomatoes, double sized mixed green salad with tomatoes and balsamic, 6 bucket tortilla chips and queso. 1 tiny piece of watermelon. This was enough carbs to spike my glucose. My monitor is back on:) 

• Like 3