Menu

June Healthy Eating

Selkie

Wednesday-

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack-  I bought snacks at the  natural food co-op (roasted peanuts and Parmesan crisps with everything bagel seasoning). The  cashier asked me how the Parmesan crisps taste.  When I told her I didn't know she said she would give it to me for free in case I was disappointed!  Verdict:  they taste good but a little goes a very long way.   

dinner- leftovers from last night (ground beef, corn, green and red peppers, onions, black beans; non-dairy “sour cream “; chao

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 5

May seemed to fly right by. My June goal is to continue focusing on nutrient density and plant diversity. 🌱 I think I've hit on the right formula for dh and me for staying lean, feeling great, and having lots of energy: Greens with muesli, fruit, nuts & seeds for breakfast. A big salad with lots of greens and veggies and a nut-based dressing for lunch. A light dinner (soup 3-4x/week) and no eating past 6:30 pm or so.

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, mango, cherries, peach, apple, pear, mulberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens and romaine, lentils, 1/2 a veggie burger, beets, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, carrots, wfpb sesame peanut dressing. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Made soup in the crockpot - the recipe was for mushroom barley soup, but I didn't have barley and used farro instead. Lots of veggies and spices - it was good. Had a sprouted whole wheat bagel, too.

• Like 5

I’m trying for more nutrient density and variety for June. To keep my blood sugar more stable, I was relying on meats and cheeses too much. So for this month, I’m going to try for 30 different plant foods each week, with stable sugars, which I think has been helpful to my weight loss. We’ll see:) it’s all a process at this point. 

Today- mixed berries, chia seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts- not great for sugar even with that fiber and fat. 

lunch- carrots, peppers, cucumbers, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, turkey. 

dinner- skipped- my blood sugars have just been consistently higher for the past several days, so I decided to try this. 

DH and I started counting plants yesterday - I’m at 17 so far. 

Edited by Toocrazy!!
  • Like 4

Thursday

Brunch- mixed green salad, pumpkin seeds, pico, avocado, ranch; avocado toast with flaxseed 

dinner- leafy green mixed salad with grilled chicken - restaurant balsamic dressing screwed up my sugars - I don’t know why I keep forgetting that! 

I think I’m at 23 different plants so far. 

• Like 4

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, banana, mango, kiwi, apple, blueberries, blackberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, romaine, beets, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, mini peppers, lentils, 1/2 a veggie burger, tangerine-stuffed olives, scallions, wfpb sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - Creamy Tex Mex stovetop casserole from Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures - brown rice, black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, jalapeños, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cashew cream, spices. Topped with avocado, scallions, crispy baked corn tortilla strips, and more jalapeños.

• Like 4

Thursday-  

breakfast-  keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack-  the very last bit of the SW skillet leftovers (ground beef, corn, onions, bell peppers,black beans, chao)

dinner-  hot dogs, roasted vegetables (onions, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, zucchini), brown rice 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

Friday 

breakfast- mixed berries, hemp, chia and flaxseed, walnuts and turkey lunch meat

lunch- chicken, green and red peppers, onions, salsa, kidney beans, avocado 

dinner- beef, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower stir fry. No rice. 

So, both breakfast and lunch caused some decent glucose spikes- berries and beans I’m sure. I don’t really know what to make of that. I’m going to keep adding some of those and see where I end up. See if I still lose weight. If not, I’ll cut back again. 
 I did make it to 33 different plants for the week! 

• Like 4

Friday-  

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with brie. The apple shot my blood sugars up but eating it was my act of rebellion 

dinner- gf steak salad. I was sad because asking for gluten free meant that I didn’t get any potato skins with it. Though that saved my blood sugars. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

I forgot- I had some potato salad this afternoon. I had it once before with no spike and thought it was a fluke. But I read a book today and they talked about resistant starches being good for your gut health and day old cold potatoes were listed. So I tried it again today, and it was still no spike. I’m pretty happy about that! Watermelon and potato salad are my summer favorites, and watermelon was a big spike.  

• Like 4

I've lost track of posting here for a couple days.

One positive development is that I ran out of dark chocolate a couple days ago and have been fine without it. Since I usually have Lindt 90% I think it's fine to eat--2 or 3 squares is not unhealthy. But good to know I am not as dependent as I may feel some days.

Breakfast--Oatmeal with frozen berries, walnuts, and a splash of maple syrup today and yesterday. Tea (NS)

Lunch--Street tacos made from bbq pork (spice rubbed) and homemade cole slaw. Cherries.

Snack--More cherries. 

Dinner--So delicious. I carmelized a Vidalia onion and added mushrooms, artichoke hearts, fresh parsley, and a splash of Worcestershire and a splash of Prosecco. Tossed that with gf gnocchi and ate a salad on the side. Easy to make and tasted fancy.

• Like 4

Friday - 

Breakfast - Cabbage and broccoli sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, pineapple, banana, peach, blueberries, apple, mango, goji berries, goldenberries, mulberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, romaine, tofu, carrots, tomatoes, mini peppers, cauliflower, scallions, zucchini, summer squash, sweet potato, spicy walnuts, wfpb sesame peanut dressing. A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Leftover Tex Mex casserole and a whole grain bagel.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 4

Breakfast--Dh made me an omelette with onions and mushrooms and breakfast sausage. Also tea (NS).

Lunch--Rice noodles in miso broth, some bbq chicken leftovers on the side.

Snack--Chocolate chia pudding. Also a cup of tea with sugar.

Dinner--Salmon, roast potatoes, brussel sprouts.

• Like 4

Saturday - 

Breakfast was rushed because the horse vet was here this morning. I completely forgot to eat my greens, oops. Had a smaller than usual muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, banana, mango, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, butter lettuce, frisée, tofu, cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, avocado, acorn squash, onion, cucumber, green beans, mini peppers, beets, wfpb sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - Two of my college kids are home today, so we got Mexican takeout. Had a grilled veggie burrito with pinto beans, lime cilantro rice, onions, peppers, corn, lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole.

• Like 4

Saturday -

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms, mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese

snack - some peanut m & m's

dinner - rotisserie chicken, potato salad, and broccoli salad from the deli.  Some salt and vinegar pistashios

hard boiled eggs

• Like 3

Sunday:

Breakfast - chocolate donut DD made yesterday (not my favorite, but everyone else liked them), hardboiled egg

Lunch - paleo waffle

Snack - grapes

Dinner - chicken dredged in almond flour & Italian seasoning, fingerling potatoes & frozen fruit

I made a lot of things in the kitchen today to try to get ahead of the curve this week. Granola, taco seasoning, burritos (lunches for DH), tripled the chicken recipe tonight because it freezes well, hardboiled eggs, and ghee. I'm kind of tired this evening.

• Like 4

Saturday 

I was going to play pickleball so I had a bagel for breakfast so I could work it off:) lunch was a salad with romaine, peppers, cucumbers, garbanzo, pumpkin seeds, wasabi peas, feta. 
dinner was out- I had some cheese, salami, hummus, and a Brussels sprout appetizer with corn and bacon. 

Sunday - leftover salad for breakfast, leftover chicken and peppers for lunch, leftover stir fry steak with carrots, broccoli and cauliflower for dinner. 

• Like 4

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, mulberries, banana, peach, nectarine, apple, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, butter lettuce, frisée, green beans, bell pepper, cucumber, butternut squash, radishes, tomatoes, scallions, tofu, beets, cashew hemp ranch dressing. A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Made a delicious soup in the crockpot. I took a recipe for potato corn jalapeño soup and expanded on it - added mushrooms, spinach, lots of garlic and spices, cashew cream. Also had a whole grain bagel and watermelon.

• Like 4

Monday- 

lunch- big mixed greens salad with pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, and feta, red wine vinegar and olive oil, cashews 

snack- cashews 

dinner- leftover stir fry meat with broccoli and cauliflower, ground beef stuffed poblano peppers with shallots, tomato and cheese. 

I made it to 38 different plant foods this week! 

• Like 4

Monday-

lunch-  scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese  

snack- apple with brie cheese 

dinner-  zoodles, ground beef, kale, carrots, onions, cabbage, broccoli, romaine lettuce, gf teriyaki sauce ; chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

@Jean in Newcastleyou seem to be pretty consistent and low carb with your foods. Are you getting your desired results? Is it working for you like you hoped? 

Depends on the desired results.  😉  My a1c should be much much lower when I have my next lab  work next month.  (My glucometer gives me an estimate but it doesn't always agree with the actual lab work.)

I have to literally provide blood, sweat and tears to drop even one pound so while I've lost a couple of pounds, it's not exactly my desired result yet.  (I still have 75 pounds to go.) 

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Daikon and broccoli microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, mango, peach, nectarine, apple, pear, banana, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with frisée, collard greens, cabbage, bok choy, butter lettuce, chickpeas, tomatoes, beets, cauliflower, carrots, radishes, mushrooms, cashew hemp ranch, a drizzle of teriyaki balsamic vinegar. A few Brazil nuts and the last little bit of watermelon.

Dinner - Leftover potato corn jalapeño soup with a whole grain bagel.

• Like 3

Sunday:

Breakfast—Granola with df yogurt.

Lunch—rice noodles with a poached egg

Dinner—Grilled chicken wings, corn, salad

Snack—Dark chocolate, also french fries

Monday:

Breakfast—Granola with cashew milk

Lunch—Leftover grilled chicken

Dinner—Eggplant with Italian meatballs, df cashew ricotta, salad

Snack—scoop of chocolate chia pudding

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Daikon, broccoli, & cabbage microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, peach, nectarine, banana, blueberries, mango, apple, pear, pineapple, cantaloupe, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with bok choy, spring mix, butter lettuce, frisée, beets, cauliflower, chickpeas, tomatoes, scallions, cucumber, radishes, mushrooms, cashew hemp ranch with a drizzle of Sweet Heat balsamic vinegar.

Dinner - Summer rolls (rice paper wrappers, brown rice noodles, crispy tofu, avocado, scallions, carrot, cucumber, bell pepper, shredded cabbage and collard greens). Spicy peanut dipping sauce.

• Like 3

Tuesday- 

snack- apple with brie. Then I went off the rails and had a gf matzo cracker with more brie

dinner- apricot chicken, broccoli salad, brown rice. Dark chocolate squares. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Daikon, broccoli, and cabbage microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, nectarine, mango, apple, blueberries, blackberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Leftover summer rolls.

Dinner  - Butternut squash ravioli with broccoli, green peas, and roasted mushrooms. Topped with wfpb cashew Alfredo (recipe from Vegan 8 - the best Alfredo I've ever had). Also a little bit of marinara, because I had some in the fridge that needed to get used up.

• Like 2

Wednesday -

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese

snack - apple with cheddar cheese and a flaxseed brownie that I shouldn't have had.

dinner - leftovers (rotisserie chicken, potato salad, broccoli salad), chocolate squares

hard boiled eggs

• Like 2

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, nectarine, blueberries, cherries, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with bok choy, collards, romaine, kohlrabi, carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, beets, scallions, tofu, 2 leftover butternut ravioli, spicy peanut dressing.

Dinner - Spicy Sicilian soup (onion, garlic, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, veg broth, tomatoes, tamari, miso, kidney beans, brown rice pasta, lots of spices, roasted mushrooms, kale). Whole wheat bagel dipped in leftover cashew Alfredo.

• Like 2

Wednesday:

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with df yogurt, banana

Lunch--last of the Italian meatballs with some gf whole-grain crackers, cherries

Dinner--It was dh's birthday, so I allowed myself a rare treat. Dish is healthy and natural and low-fat, but I have gout (hereditary--my sister has it too), so I avoid purines, but I made dh one of his favorite shrimp dishes. I even charred a red pepper and peeled it for the super-special sauce. Had it with gf baguette and a salad and a glass of red wine. 

Snack--dark chocolate, tea

Thursday:

Breakfast--banana, tea (NS), oatmeal with frozen berries and walnuts and a small splash of maple syrup.

Lunch--cherries, turkey wraps (gf wrap with turkey and leftover seasoned rice), tea (S)

Snack--fries while out running errands. I still struggle with that mid-afternoon salt craving and need to plan specifically for it. Also some chocolate chia pudding after dinner. 

Dinner--Delicious Mediterranean mishmash -- chicken, chickpeas, onions, mushrooms, oregano, parsley, lemon, broth, kale. Also salad. 

• Like 2

Thursday-

snack-  apple with cheddar cheese 

dinner- lemon chicken, roasted asparagus, chocolate squares, flaxseed brownie 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday 

breakfast- cashews

Lunch- blueberries, chia, hemp, flax, walnuts

dinner- arugula, shaved Brussels, roasted cauliflower, walnuts, Parmesan, Dijon vinaigrette, French fries

Thursday- lunch- Cobb salad 

dinner- cashews, chips, cheese crisps, Hershey kisses - nothing about that healthy! Ha! 

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Cabbage and broccoli microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, kiwi, nectarine, peach, blueberries, apple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with collards, romaine, bok choy, cabbage, chickpeas, tofu, zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, scallions, mushrooms, spicy peanut dressing. Watermelon.

Dinner - Lots of leftovers. A bowl of spicy Sicilian soup, some green peas and roasted mushrooms topped with cashew Alfredo, and a whole wheat bagel.

• Like 3

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Cabbage and kale microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, blueberries, kiwi, nectarine, peach, apple, cherries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - I forgot to eat lunch until late afternoon, so I just slapped together a baked tofu sandwich with broccoli micros.

Dinner - Thai takeout. Veggie egg rolls, a samosa, spicy eggplant stir fry with tofu, and green curry with eggplant and tofu. 

• Like 3

Friday

Lunch- Cobb salad 

dinner- cashews? I can’t remember. I guess too much snacking? I didn’t really eat dinner. 

Saturday- 

breakfast- cashews

lunch- romaine, red onion, cucumbers we, chicken, feta, pumpkin seeds

snack- cashews, cheese wisps 

dinner- romaine, taco ground beef with onions, tomatoes, cheese and black beans, dark chocolate 

• Like 3

Friday: 

Breakfast--banana, eggs with turkey (Weird, I know. Dh scrambled them up and wanted more protein for a big day.)

Lunch--Homemade guac with tortilla chips, cherries

Snack--chips and a Snickers bar. Not my finest hour. Totally stress eating--had a multi-hour nightmare with Verizon store, followed by four hours of driving that included part of the car starting to come off and scrape the road?!?!! Super nice Valvoline guy fixed it, bless him. Running late from the car mishap and grabbed junk from a vending machine to eat while driving. Ugh.

Dinner--Such a weird combo. Long, ugly Verizon story. Suffice it to say we are not impressed with how badly Verizon handled repairs and then return of a defective product. I met ds on the road and we ordered food. There were almost no good choices for me, so I nibbled at some cole slaw and some potato salad. Much later when I was finally home I had some leftovers (kale and chicken stuff mentioned down below). 

Saturday:

Breakfast--tea (NS), oatmeal with frozen berries, walnuts, dash of maple syrup, cinnamon

Lunch-- peach, also kale with chickpeas, chicken, onion, mushroom, lemon

Snack--dark chocolate chia pudding

Dinner--grilled steak, baked potato, salad

• Like 3

Sunday- breakfast - skipped 

lunch- chipotle salad- mixed greens, chicken, black beans, fajita veggies, pico, cheese. A couple tortilla chips 

snack- cashews. 

dinner- Romaine, chicken, feta, cucumbers, red onions, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Dark chocolate. 

• Like 3

Saturday-

lunch- cup of vegetable soup, chicken salad (chicken, celery, greens, dried cranberries, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinaigrette)

snack- gf sweet potato crackers with roasted eggplant spread. 

Dinner-  scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Daikon and broccoli microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, cherries, cantaloupe, mango, nectarine, apple, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Another busy day, just had a bowl of roasted broccoli and an orange.

Dinner - The rest of our Thai takeout. Samosas. Green curry with eggplant, green beans, green peas, tofu. Spicy eggplant stir fry with tofu. A little bit of brown rice. Had all of it on top of a bed of arugula.

• Like 3