Menu

Study: Cat's can remember each other's names

stephanier.1765

I think only people who don't live with cats feel that this area of inquiry requires a study. All they had to do was ask me and I could have confirmed their every conclusion. LOL My favorite part though was, "One cat completed only the first trial before escaping from the room and climbing out of reach." Yeah, I could have told them that would happen too. 

I did find it interesting, though, how they decided to test their subjects. These people are way smarter than I am.

https://www.studyfinds.org/cats-remember-each-others-names/

• Haha 12

Well this would be tricky if they used our cats for the study. Would they react to the actual names we rarely use except when talking to each other about one of them? Which name would they recognize? Would they know Your Sister (they're not siblings) means the other cat? Would they recognize Little One, Small Cat, Sweet Girl, Silly One, Meow-Meow? 😂😂😂😂

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Well this would be tricky if they used our cats for the study. Would they react to the actual names we rarely use except when talking to each other about one of them? Which name would they recognize? Would they know Your Sister (they're not siblings) means the other cat? Would they recognize Little One, Small Cat, Sweet Girl, Silly One, Meow-Meow? 😂😂😂😂

Us too! We have so many nicknames for our cats I have no idea how they know when we are speaking to them. Each cat has their own set of nicknames and then there are nicknames that could be any one of them. Good thing they are smarter than me. And then there are the songs we have for each cat. It's a whole thing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

52 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Us too! We have so many nicknames for our cats I have no idea how they know when we are speaking to them. Each cat has their own set of nicknames and then there are nicknames that could be any one of them. Good thing they are smarter than me. And then there are the songs we have for each cat. It's a whole thing.

I’m so glad it’s not just us!

I just read your responses out loud to DH, who responded “So we are cat people!”. Lol. He’s a recovered dog person, now firmly entrenched in cat land. 😻

• Like 1
  • Haha 2