Menu

Another Music Thread

Amethyst

I like to stay current with music. I don’t want to be an old fogey who only listens to BillyJoel, Elton John, Jackson Browne, and Paul Simon (all of whom I love, btw). I also want some newer songs. 

New-ish arts that I enjoy are Adele, Vampire Weekend, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, and P!nk. 

I’m trying out some Olivia Rodrigo and Mina Okabe this weekend. Haven’t formed an opinion yet. 

Do any of you have some suggestions for new songs and/or artists that you have been enjoying recently?

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Kate Earl, Jain, Meg Myers, Stromae, Rina Sawayama, Philipp Dittberner

I stopped putting in "and" because I kept remembering more artists. 😄

These are great. I've never heard of any of these. Going to check these out now. Thanks

Edited by Amethyst
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

The Killers are my favorite. Other bands I like: twenty-one pilots, Bastille, alt-J, Walk the Moon, Sir Sly

Oh, I have some of these on my playlist! Can you recommend your favorite alt-J and Sir Sly?  I've not heard any of their music.

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

Thanks. I’ve never heard of Alice Merton. Can you recommend one or two songs of hers as a good starting place. I may have heard some Harry Styles songs from my girls…I’ll check out a few more songs of his. Thanks!

Alice Merton...No Roots, Why So Serious, Speak Your Mind (especially No Roots)

ETA: I especially like the Harry Styles album from 2017, Sign of the Times was a commonly heard song from that

Edited by happi duck
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

New-ish arts that I enjoy are Adele, Vampire Weekend, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, and P!nk. 

Kate Earl's You Can't Treat Me That Way reminded me of something between P!nk and Adele

Jain is groovy, particularly Makeba

Meg Myers' remake of Running Up That Hill might be more 80's than you want, but I'm a sucker for songs I can sing along with.

Stromae is French pop, so I can't sing along, but my favorite is Alors On Danse (and then we dance)

Rina Sawayama cabe from my dad, but we liked XS. It is another pop song.

Philipp Dittberner is a German artist, but I've learned enough German that I can sing along (when I'm by myself in the car, anyway)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Amethyst said:

like to stay current with music. I don’t want to be an old fogey who only listens to BillyJoel, Elton John, Jackson Browne, and Paul Simon

You just described me. Sorry. Wish I had some recommendations for you. I just can’t think of a single thing! Lol🤣

• Haha 1

Before my kids flew the nest we used to have a game night once a week and they would provide the music. I am not sure how current the music is but here are some songs I picked up from them that I have been enjoying lately-

Record Player by Daisy the Great with AJR

Colorado by Milky Chance

Ghosting by Mother Mother  (also Family and Burning Pile)

Roots by Grumpster

Lost on You by LP

and sometimes if I am in the right mood some Amanda Palmer.

Enjoy listening to new music!!

• Thanks 1

Based on some of your examples (Olivia Rodrigo, Taylor, Pink):

Charli XCX

Christina Aguilara

Brynn Elliot

Ava Max

Ariana Grande

Sia

Demi Levato

Christine and the Queens

Based on Ed Sheeran:

Scars on 45 (they do an excellent cover of Castle on the Hill)

The Weeknd

Sam Smith

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Oh, I have some of these on my playlist! Can you recommend your favorite alt-J and Sir Sly?  I've not heard any of their music.

Sir Sly- My favorites are Welcomes the Pressure and &Run. High is good, too. 

Alt-J: Every other freckle, Something Good, In Cold Blood.

I saw someone else mention AJR- so good and fun!

Walk the Moon -Can You Handle My Love is a singing at the top of your lungs in the car song. 

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Based on some of your examples (Olivia Rodrigo, Taylor, Pink):

Charli XCX

Christina Aguilara

Brynn Elliot

Ava Max

Ariana Grande

Sia

Demi Levato

Christine and the Queens

Based on Ed Sheeran:

Scars on 45 (they do an excellent cover of Castle on the Hill)

The Weeknd

Sam Smith

I have all of these that are bolded on my playlist. So these other ones I will definitely be checking out!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Amethyst said:

All Alt-J is good Alt-J!

We are a huge music family that likes all genres.  Here are some of our current top plays:

First Aid Kit

Sarah Jarosz

Billy Strings

Punch Brothers

Greta Van Fleet

Rainbow Kitten Surprise (don't judge by the name)

Portugal the Man

Mount Joy

Anand Wilder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You all have been so generous with suggestions that I thought I would share a couple newer songs that I've been enjoying today:

Light On by Maggie Rogers

I Need You by Jon Batiste

Happier by Olivia Rodrigo

Crying, Laughing Loving, Lying by Whitney

Also, I think I missed the 90's and 00's when I was busy with babies and little ones and all we listened to was Babybug and Barney music, or Jim Weiss and Odds Bodkins tapes. So music from Coldplay and Train and The Strokes and Panic at the Disco often seems new to me. Lol. It's fun discovering new music no matter when it was recorded.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, skimomma said:

All Alt-J is good Alt-J!

We are a huge music family that likes all genres.  Here are some of our current top plays:

First Aid Kit

Sarah Jarosz

Billy Strings

Punch Brothers

Greta Van Fleet

Rainbow Kitten Surprise (don't judge by the name)

Portugal the Man

Mount Joy

Anand Wilder

Thank you! I know about 40% of this list, so I'm guessing the rest will match my taste too! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Lol. Ok, I'll try! Although I admit I did judge Greta Van Fleet by their name until I saw that it's an all-male group.

RKS is so good, we even went to great lengths to see them live.  It was 100% worth it!  Fever Pitch is a great intro song.

• Thanks 1