Menu

Beach cart or wagon....recommendations wanted

ProudGrandma

We are campers and we like to go the beach when we camp.  I am looking for a cart or wagon that will easily travel over sand so we don't have to carry everything.  Might there be some recommendations as to which styles work best.  I have been looking on Amazon at the ones with big, fat wheels, but even those get mixed reviews as to how well they work on sand.  And maybe there isn't a good solution to this issue....but I wanted to at least investigate. 

Thanks for any and all thoughts and ideas...

We have used this one for years to lug stuff for 4 people including 4 folding chairs, 2 beach umbrellas and a cooler plus everything else. It has been a workhorse for us! It has also gone to library sales and consignment sales and has been worth every penny. Regarding sand, it is easy on packed sand and difficult on soft, wavy sand but it has always done the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Beach-Wonder-Wheeler-Wide-Cart/dp/B002DPSCB4?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Edited - I changed the link. We have the Rio brand but it's the one with the very wide wheels.

Edited by CTVKath

5 minutes ago, CTVKath said:

It has also gone to library sales and consignment sales

My favorite thing about the internet is being able to find my peeps.   We have a nice pop-up wagon with big wheels and people have commented on it.  When I mention in real life that I bought it for the library and book sales they look at me like I sprouted a second head.   

• Like 3

Ours is more similar to this one.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQ6QRS8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?pd_rd_i=B07DQ6QRS8&pd_rd_w=dTr74&pf_rd_p=57cbdc41-b731-4e3d-aca7-49078b13a07b&pd_rd_wg=PtgsV&pf_rd_r=BS1HT79DXYWBZ7ESXJ0T&pd_rd_r=f4000bb6-43cb-4b0b-bfe8-173c2f866089&s=sporting-goods&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExM0FQRUNWRzBDOEZMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTM3MzMwVTVEVFdTQlNMV1BCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0ODI2MDQ3M1U0UkFVUTRDRzMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWMmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

I don't know how good it is on sand.   We've used it there but I don't remember.   But, I would think the big wheels would be good.   

Do you have one of these pop-up tent changing rooms?   Handy for at the beach.    We also use it as a potty tent while camping anywhere.   5-gallon bucket and a thick plastic bag.   I always have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and walking to the bathroom wakes me up.    DH prefers primitive camping (he even taught it while in college) but fortunately for me he needs electricity for his CPAP.  

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Changing-Collapsible-Wakeman-Outdoors/dp/B07WWYQS7B/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3BHA2ZP0S61PH&keywords=changing+pop+up+tent&qid=1650635825&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=changing+pop%2Csporting%2C88&sr=1-4

Edited by shawthorne44

We bought one at Costco a few years ago, on the way to the beach, and it was life-changing. Seriously, wheels are the best invention ever! 🤣

Ours is by Tommy Bahamas, and our Costco carries them in the warehouse every spring/early summer. The chairs and umbrella work well, too! The cart has secure spots for chairs, umbrella, cooler, etc.

Big wheels, not bad on sand at all, but if the sand is very fluffy and soft in a section there’s a bit more tugging required.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spryte said:

We bought one at Costco a few years ago, on the way to the beach, and it was life-changing. Seriously, wheels are the best invention ever! 🤣

Ours is by Tommy Bahamas, and our Costco carries them in the warehouse every spring/early summer. The chairs and umbrella work well, too! The cart has secure spots for chairs, umbrella, cooler, etc.

Big wheels, not bad on sand at all, but if the sand is very fluffy and soft in a section there’s a bit more tugging required.

we don't have a costco...but maybe I can find it someplace else?  Thanks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

yeah, that was my thought too...but there are still bad reviews on Amazon wagons with big wheels in reference to beaches....but maybe there isn't a "perfect" solution. 

We used our double jogger (stroller) which has 12” bicycle wheel in front and 14” bicycle wheels behind. That was a workhorse and could take easily more than 100lbs when the tires are well inflated. My husband and I find wagons harder to pull at pumpkin patches so we never bought a wagon. 

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

We used our double jogger (stroller) which has 12” bicycle wheel in front and 14” bicycle wheels behind. That was a workhorse and could take easily more than 100lbs when the tires are well inflated. My husband and I find wagons harder to pull at pumpkin patches so we never bought a wagon. 

don't have one of those...as our kids are all in college....

What type of sand do you have to navigate?  Here our beaches are deep, loose, sugar sand.   When we visited beaches on the gulf in Florida they were harder packed sand.   Vastly different for walking and a wagon.

in our area some people use a flat style sled

• Like 2

We've tried a variety of wagons and carts over the years. Bigger tires are easier but they are all hard to pull in loose sand. Even with one of us pushing and the other pulling, we still need to stop for a breather before we reach the parking lot. People are usually enjoying the beach on the packed sand so pulling it through the soft is often the only way through. We try to have as many of our things as possible to come with straps, so we can wear them and try to keep our wagon as light as possible. Still, we would never go to the beach without it.