Menu

Closet organizing systems that work?

madteaparty

I’m moving into a new place and want to make it right from the beginning. I feel like I spend half my life organizing clothes and it’s because I have too much space that’s badly laid out.  My sister, who lives in a not-huge apartment in Europe has so many clothes but her ceilings are so high, and her closet system (some custom Italian thing) so good she knows exactly where things are. Combination of sliding drawers with glass fronts and several layers of hanging racks, some can be pulled down with a stick thing. What do we have here that works? What I need is different than say what my husband needs (for example I mostly have dresses so I need racks hung at that hight). Oh, I cannot look at a closet system that shows shoes being stored with the clothes, yuck. So with that specific criteria 🤣anyone want to vouch for anything? 

Edited by madteaparty

We have custom or semi-custom systems in the US too. You just design them the way you want them. There are lots of choices ranging from being cheap wire racks to companies that also make kitchen cabinets (like Kraftmaid). Even if their picture shows shoes stored with clothes you don't have to arrange yours that way. That's what we have, and I just put my side/section together and my husband decided the things he wanted to have. This article has some examples 8 Best Closet Systems to Organize Your Space 2021 — Best Closet Kits (rd.com)

I have my clothes in the walk-in closet. I put my shoes in a separate closet in plastic shoe boxes (I haven't gotten to put the shoe and purse closet together yet). For patent leather shoes, I put one shoe in a cloth bag and the other out in a plastic shoe box. For purse I put them in cloth bags and line them up on a bookshelf in that same closet. 

• Thanks 1

I did Elfa from the container store.  I love it.  My pantry door is very narrow - and it's the only one that had narrow enough bracket/baskets for the backside of the door.

There is a rail that goes across the wall, nailed/screwed into studs.  No having to rely upon mollybolts in sheetrock. the standards hang off of that and can support quite a bit of weight.  The shelves or drawers off the standards.  I got rid of a chest of drawers in my room when I installed the system, and reduced how much was in my dresser.

Rubbermaid configurations is similar - and there is some compatibility between the two.  (I have that in dudeling's bedroom.)  I believe closet maid also has one that is compatible.

I do prefer the Elfa,  I like the shelves better, and the closet rods A LOT better.  It does have the option for solid shelves - they weren't in my budget.

it is sturdier,

the standards are floor to ceiling.  The rubbermaid (and closet maid) - are 48".  that's it.  you can "add on" 24" - but you're back to dealing with molly bolts into sheetrock if it's not where the stud is.

the shelves fit into the brackets in such a way - that if you are at the same level you have a seamless surface  where one ends and the next one starts.  No gap.

One of the things I really like - they are VERY convertible if you need to do a reconfiguration.  

I recently came across this idea that has me wanting to be crafty . . . how to cover wire shelves.

How to Make a DIY Wire Shelf Covers | Hometalk

DIY Wire Shelf Covers – Robert Alan Interiors

There are versions with 1/4" plywood, and cheaper versions with foam core and contact paper.

• Thanks 1

For my now-closet, I went with a simple and inexpensive (maybe $130 for 4.5’) wire Rubbermaid Fast Track system. I had lived with the closet for over a decade and made the perfect configuration on the first try.

For my near-future closet, I’ve decided to give it a few months… maybe, lol, to get a feel for the space. But I’m also going back to sharing a walk-in with dh, who has more clothes than me, after having his and hers for so long. AND it’s an odd sized/shaped space.  I can’t imagine getting it “right” without being in it for a bit first.

Anyway, I have decided against having a company come in because of both price (quoted 3-4x the nice DIY kits) and because I want to maximize flexibility if something doesn’t feel quite right or needs to change over time. (Like, what if my wardrobe stops being 80% hoodies at some point???)

I’ve seen some pull down features online and they’re definitely cool. My closet will only have 8’ ceilings, so it’s not something I’d see useful. For 9-10’ ceilings, otoh, it might eliminate otherwise dead space.

I’m still leaning toward IKEA’s PAX, but there are other similar systems out there, though a bit more expensive.
The last time I checked, availability on a LOT of systems was still limited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We also had the Container Store design an Elfa closet for our small'ish walk-in. Every day since, I've thought, "This was worth the money."  You send them closet measurements via email, and they work with you to draw up a design that meets your needs. At the end, they spit out an order list, and you can have their installer do it (we did), or you can pick it up and do it yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d start with Cassie from Clutterbug’s YouTube channel. She has an HGTV show too, but the gist of her system is that there are 4 different styles of organizers. Do you need to see your things to remember they exist? Or do you need things put away because the visual clutter is overwhelming? Do you want things put in big categories or small ones? Meaning would you rather spend more time putting things away perfectly or just shove it in a bin even if it takes a minute longer to find later?

Once you know what style of organization works for you THEN design the system. 

https://youtube.com/c/OrganizedClutterbug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’d start with Cassie from Clutterbug’s YouTube channel. She has an HGTV show too, but the gist of her system is that there are 4 different styles of organizers. Do you need to see your things to remember they exist? Or do you need things put away because the visual clutter is overwhelming? Do you want things put in big categories or small ones? Meaning would you rather spend more time putting things away perfectly or just shove it in a bin even if it takes a minute longer to find later?

Once you know what style of organization works for you THEN design the system. 

https://youtube.com/c/OrganizedClutterbug

I definitely need to see my things lol. Thank you everyone. This has been such a helpful thread 🙏❤️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm probably doing something wrong. I just pile up banker boxes full of crap. 🤣

Is it horrible that I also have that in addition to the stuff I have organized. At least those banker boxes now have a designated space.