Menu

That labor shortage is real....

Laurel-in-CA

55 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I lived in France for only a month in the early 90's but nobody was rude to me! Is this because I was nowhere near Paris?

Not every sales clerk is rude. I think it's a sterotype. The French or Quebecois sales clerks I've encountered tend to let you browse on your own and they don't offer help. They weren't really rude. If I attempted to engage in French they might be really pleasant or they might not appreciate my imperfect French. It was a bit of a crap shoot to know what to expect, IME.

This is something I've been thinking about a lot. I just started a part time job at home improvement store down the street from me. I wanted something to get me out of the house but not full time. A little extra $ would be nice but mainly it's because both boys will be gone all summer and I knew I'd go stir crazy. So...this is what I'm seeing here in the metro Atlanta area: 

the employees in my department have all been there 1 year or less. No one has over a year of experience.

most of the assistant store managers have quit.

Employees call out DAILY. I worked 3 partial weekdays this week and was short staffed in my dept. for 2 of those days. I had a co-worker tell me she's already planning on calling out tomorrow so I already know I'll be overwhelmed tomorrow.  I've been on the floor 14 days. I do not know everything and the system is very complicated. It's put me in some awkward situations with customers because they expect their issues to be resolved ASAP. And I get that...they don't expect some newbie to be assisting them with their complicated return or helping them order 100 bags of mulch to be delivered. 

I took this job thinking I'd be in this position for a year and then maybe transfer to another department (I have a background in construction/design) but I don't know.....I was told that quite often the store thinks they have new hires coming in for orientation and then NO ONE shows up. I'm just flabbergasted. The pay is decent and so far they have worked with my crazy homeschool schedule. I think the bottom line is that people don't want to work (for a host of reasons) and coupled with angry, impatient and entitled customers we have a dumpster fire for businesses, employees and customers. 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, Hilltopmom said:

Desperate for school paraprofessionals here. Principal has taken to visiting classrooms and personally asking staff to ask anyone they know to apply who might possibly be interested.

Another dd is an in-school aid for a high schooler with cerebral palsy. Interviewed and hired on the spot for that position. Note, she's working for a private organization that supplies the aids, not directly for the school district. But because she's done elder care and has a CNA she knows how to cope with transfers to/from wheelchair in bathroom, use a lift if needed, etc. These are the things that bothered previous hires, so they are very happy to have her.

• Like 1

Our local Culver's is normally open till 10pm, but for the past 6 mos its only been open till 7pm. Also our local McDonald's still are not open for indoor dining.  We've had a few other restaurants in our small city close in the past few months. 

29 minutes ago, Lisa said:

Our local Culver's is normally open till 10pm, but for the past 6 mos its only been open till 7pm. Also our local McDonald's still are not open for indoor dining.  We've had a few other restaurants in our small city close in the past few months. 

Several local restaurants are no longer open for Sunday brunch and have reduced hours because they cannot get staff. 

17 hours ago, Clemsondana said:

I stopped by the office and asked them what their youngest age was (16, but kid was still 15) and how many hours was their weekly minimum.  Kid is willing to work and would be reliable, but during the school year, with extracurriculars, they'd love to do 1 4-hour shift each week.

My DD got a job at a local (non-chain) store that was desperate. It didn't matter that DD was only 15 and they normally hired only 16+. It didn't matter that DD could only work one night a week for three hours. DD didn't even have a formal interview or fill out a application until after she was told that she was hired. Totally crazy.

19 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Remember 20 years ago when there would be 500 applicants for one teaching job posted and it was so hard to get a position?!?

those days are gone-

Yep. Me in 1992. I was lucky to be hired. And the administration NEVER let us forget that we were “a dime a dozen”, so we better keep our mouths shut…even if it was a safety issue. I left the profession after 3 years. Never looked back.

I will get back into education professionally in my retirement—retirement from homeschooling, that is. I will have the luxury of it being on my terms. Whether it’s private sector, grant writing, non profit… I will find a way to continue to live out my vocation. 

As to the fast food topic… I’ve been a loyal customer to my neighborhood McDonald’s for over 10 years. There is NEVER a reason for rudeness or condescension. Because I know these losers exist, I make a point to express my appreciation often. It’s sincere. The employee who asks every time I come through, “would you like to round up your change for Ronald McDonald House?”. The answer is YES. And thank you for being a part of making a difference in the lives of these families. I have other reasons to be grateful to those employees…for another thread, another time. 🙂 eta: I worked at McDonald’s while in college, so I’m very empathetic. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

On 3/18/2022 at 8:27 PM, Lisa said:

We've been getting slammed after 8 at night for months and we finally figured out that it's because there are very few places open consistently.  You have to follow restaurants (both chain and local) on social media to find out if they are going to be open or closed before you go.  

• 2 weeks later...