Menu

s/o Art Responses to the War in Ukraine

regentrude

I did not want to put this in the Ukraine discussion thread, so here's a spin-off.

Many of us are deeply affected by the war - even if we are a safe distance away. We feel disoriented, powerless, afraid. We may turn to Art to process, to bear witness, to share experience, to hold space. I invite you here to share art (yours or that of others) to respond and reflects.

Today I attended a two hour long Zoom reading by Ukrainian poets and their translators. There were over 800 people from all over the world attending! You can listen to this amazing reading here:

https://www.facebook.com/jkolch/videos/472028897991103/?__cft__[0]=AZVbVrJSGsLPdttIJrZVVnPnXPl5_akJspdgv5oigJaMEyDVBKrWE_qTgDULkG3rbu-t3txbDKU05eMxt2BH4XIpNg17kO3MlztAFtUFsnWUR1C8SFtdh7ry0ultWZjz0udv3Ttdd4mKEztGVFda458p&__tn__=-UK-R

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 14

And I'll also share one of my own poems, written on Friday.

We have seen it coming

We have seen the boulder roll down the mountain in slow motion.
We have seen the parallels.
We have seen history repeating itself.
We have had the nightmares.

My mother’s memories are unhealed by therapy. She was too little to understand why they were hiding in bomb shelters.
           Years later, she still flinches at the sound of an airplane. At eighty, she is afraid. The monster has been hiding under her bed all these years.

We have prayed for peace before.
We have lit candles.
We have chanted. And wondered all the while:
when has a candle ever saved a life?

The tips of the hyacinths show green in the snow. I curl in my chair in my warm house. I close my eyes.

I see children huddled in basements.
I see women carrying babies, bundles of possessions tied to their backs.
I see my grandmother fleeing across Europe. My aunt is sixteen, flirts with the soldiers. They invite her into their compartment. That’s how grandma and mom get on the train.

I remember the onion domes of the cave monastery in Kyiv, golden
         in the February snow.
         I weep.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, lmrich said:

This speaks to me so loudly!! Thank you for sharing. I am going to rewrite my lesson plans for tomorrow to include Ukranian poetry. 

Here are a few links from poets who contributed to this reading:

http://l.academicstudiespress.com/borderlines/poem/decomposition_ukr

https://lareviewofbooks.org/short-takes/ukrainian-poems-of-war-khersonsky-kiva-makhno

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 5:24 PM, regentrude said:

And I'll also share one of my own poems, written on Friday.

We have seen it coming

We have seen the boulder roll down the mountain in slow motion.
We have seen the parallels.
We have seen history repeating itself.
We have had the nightmares.

My mother’s memories are unhealed by therapy. She was too little to understand why they were hiding in bomb shelters.
           Years later, she still flinches at the sound of an airplane. At eighty, she is afraid. The monster has been hiding under her bed all these years.

We have prayed for peace before.
We have lit candles.
We have chanted. And wondered all the while:
when has a candle ever saved a life?

The tips of the hyacinths show green in the snow. I curl in my chair in my warm house. I close my eyes.

I see children huddled in basements.
I see women carrying babies, bundles of possessions tied to their backs.
I see my grandmother fleeing across Europe. My aunt is sixteen, flirts with the soldiers. They invite her into their compartment. That’s how grandma and mom get on the train.

I remember the onion domes of the cave monastery in Kyiv, golden
         in the February snow.
         I weep.

I love this. Would you mind PM’ing the names of our poetry collections so I can read more?

• Thanks 2