Menu

Eighth Grade Thread

freesia

Are we ready to start discussing our plans yet?  This is my last year of homeschooling an under high schooler. I have plans, but wonder if I’ll toss them all and unschool for a year instead. 😂 

History:Tapestry of Grace year 4

Literature: We’ll continue our monthly book club. I haven’t finalized titles, but it will be things like Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird,Hidden Figures, the Hobbit. We’ll also fit in some Windows to the World units.

Writing: research paper class through Lantern English, lit analysis from Windows to the World, persuasive writing from Power in Your Hands. 

Math:I’ll probably use Jacob’s Algebra with her. 
Science:Physical Science—either Prentice Hall Science Explorer or Apologia minus the Earth science. 
German—continue weekly lesson with Dad from the Easy German Reader and Duolingo or German fairy tales on YouTube the other days. 
Logic-Fallacies—either Fallacy Detective or the The Classical press one. Logic Puzzles

PE: soccer, TKD, daily fitness

Art-co-op

Music-she’s not liking lessons, so I think she’ll just play for co-op and youth worship and learn songs on her guitar by herself  

EC:BSA, youth groups, soccer, TKD. She’s also started babysitting. 

• Like 1

My husband is trying to convince me to enroll our soon to be eighth grader in online public school next year. I have another year of plans I want to finish up with her though, and she doesn't want to do public school anyway, so I think we'll win him over. I've been building up my plans for the last couple weeks to further persuade him.

This is my dyslexic/dysgraphic kid whose career goals currently alternate between orthopedic nurse and polygraph examiner.

Here are my plans so far:

Language Arts:

Reading: She will finish the Bible (Psalms - Revelation), as well as read A Midsummer's Night's Dream, Ender's Game, Little Women (or a sequel if she reads this before fall), Robinson Crusoe, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Sherlock Holmes, Hunger Games. For fun, I'll also throw in The Princess Diaries, 13 and Counting, My Family and Other Animals. Other than scheduling the Bible, we'll go back to the method of a shelf devoted to literature for school. She reads at least a chapter a day, and when she finishes one title, she picks the next one. If she finishes all of those books, we'll just do fun reading for the rest of the year. When my family gave her Amazon gift cards for Christmas, she chose to spend it all on books! I can't believe how far she's come, both in her reading level and enjoyment.

Writing: We're going to alternate Writing Strands 6 with writing projects of her choice. She can write another novel, some short stories, fanfic, screenplay, articles about interesting things she learned, book and movie reviews, etc. She will pick a topic for the week every Sunday when she writes down her weekly agenda in her planner.

Handwriting: she will be using college rule, finally, and if her handwriting ever gets unintelligible on her schoolwork, I'll have some worksheets ready for her to practice. Honestly, this is a big reason I think she needs to homeschool at least one more year. I know public school teachers would just mark something as wrong if it's illegible.

Grammar/Usage: I'm thinking about using Gum Drops 8, as well as some sections in Figuratively Speaking. Her writing still has some grammatical gaps, so we're going to be more intentional about filling in those gaps.

Vocab: Now that she's finished the lower levels of Vocab From Classical Roots, I was thinking about trying Red Hot, Wordup!, or Greek and Latin Roots. I need to find some screenshots of each to make a decision.

Math: either Saxon Algebra 1/2 or just Algebra 1. Either way, I'm going to buy her a graphing calculator and let her get used to using it in math. She's making significantly fewer arithmetic errors this year, and has learned to check if her answer makes sense before moving on, so I think she's finally ready to use a calculator.

Science: I have a Glencoe Physical Science textbook lying around, and she said she'll do that for science so we can spend money on her elective. I'll probably spend a lot of June figuring out labs and output assignments to go with reading that textbook. My husband will probably run the labs on the weekends because he finds it way more fascinating than I do, and I want his enthusiasm to transfer to her.

Social Studies: after our detour year of studying history through the lens of innovation, I'm thinking about getting K12's Human Odyssey volume 2. She's been steadily writing inventions and scientific discoveries on a timeline book this year, so if we go through the same time periods and list the political changes, I think that will be a great reinforcement. I'll probably have her do a couple research papers again.

Spanish: she has begged for a newer textbook (something with cell phones, not records and cassettes, lol). I'm thinking about getting Avancemos 2 with the workbook and digital access. Last time I tried Avancemos, I didn't have time to figure out the website, but now that I'm not homeschooling her older sister (who will be a senior next year!), I think I can decipher that beast this summer. Either way, we'll only tackle half of a Spanish 2 textbook so it doesn't take too much time and the pace feels more casual. At this point, she is the one requesting more Spanish. Her goal is to be bilingual, and she will often lament that English is our first language. She heavily prefers the logic of Spanish. In her free time, she listens to Hispanic radio channels.

Art: despite all the choices this year for multimedia projects, she has been steadily been choosing to just draw in her sketchbook, so I'm just going to give her a bunch of drawing prompts each week and let her choose which to do. If she wants to draw everyday, fine. If she only draws once a week, I'm fine with that. I'm viewing art as an elective, and she can do what she wants with it. I've already found over 36 Inktober prompt lists, so she'll have one of those to peruse each week, in addition to a list I'm curating as I see something interesting or ideas come to me. 

Health/PE: we'll focus on continuing to move and exposure to sunlight. She found all the imaginative play prompts this year to be rather baby-ish, so we'll focus on lifelong exercises to build good habits. We'll probably continue our leg stretching exercises, riding 6+ miles on the recumbent bike on bad weather days (i.e. thunderstorms, below 20 degrees or above 85), but mostly walking around our hilly neighborhood as the weather allows. My foot has finally healed enough (I broke it back in June) that I think I can rejoin the walks.

Logic: Orbiting With Logic, Mindbenders 5, The Art of Argument, work on altering programs in Python and maybe designing one of her own by the end of the year. Instead of crossword puzzles, we may spend a day playing with the Lego Mindstorms set. It's one of those things she wants to play with, but never seems to make it a priority during her free time, so maybe assigning it during school time will keep it from being an expensive dust catcher. She is doing the puzzles in the newspaper (word search, sudoku, crossword) during her free time, so it doesn't make sense to assign those anymore.

Skills: She will continue cooking at least once a week, focusing on side dishes and baking. I was also thinking about focusing on computer hardware and electronics, as well as map skills. I'm just trying to fill in any holes in life skills before she's too busy with high school classes. I'm sure I'll think of more gaps before the end of summer. Skills should be less time intensive this year though, to make room for her elective.

Elective: she still really wants to study Psychology, and I finally found a text written at a lower reading level: Psychology in Everyday Life by Myers. I'm debating whether to buy the book and just let her just read it, or if I should also get something like Oak Meadow's Journey Towards Self-Knowledge coursebook or Myer's Launchpad for Psychology in Modules (created for his high school level text).

I'm still trying to decide if anything should be pared down more to make time for Psychology. She's always been really good about getting her work done efficiently, so I don't want to overburden her. Maybe I should omit the Mindstorms, so Logic is only 4 days a week? Or would it be better to skip history for a year, and count Psychology as the social studies course for the year?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, freesia said:

Are we ready to start discussing our plans yet?  This is my last year of homeschooling an under high schooler. I have plans, but wonder if I’ll toss them all and unschool for a year instead. 😂 

History:Tapestry of Grace year 4

Literature: We’ll continue our monthly book club. I haven’t finalized titles, but it will be things like Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird, Hidden Figures, the Hobbit. We’ll also fit in some Windows to the World units.

Writing: research paper class through Lantern English, lit analysis from Windows to the World, persuasive writing from Power in Your Hands. 

Math:I’ll probably use Jacob’s Algebra with her. 
Science:Physical Science—either Prentice Hall Science Explorer or Apologia minus the Earth science. 
German—continue weekly lesson with Dad from the Easy German Reader and Duolingo or German fairy tales on YouTube the other days. 
Logic-Fallacies—either Fallacy Detective or the The Classical press one. Logic Puzzles

PE: soccer, TKD, daily fitness

Art-co-op

Music-she’s not liking lessons, so I think she’ll just play for co-op and youth worship and learn songs on her guitar by herself  

EC:BSA, youth groups, soccer, TKD. She’s also started babysitting. 

I hear you about scrapping all the plans. I've always wanted to do a year of project-based learning in middle school. I feel like that synthesis and real life experience would be such a great morale boost for preteens. It would also help them clarify what kind of work they're interested in, so they're self-motivated through the high school years. If my husband wasn't pushing for public school, that is what I'd be planning.

I'm currently re-reading Animal Farm myself (it's been a long two years of quarantine, so I've run out of non-academic books to re-read, and next up is the Bedford Anthology of World Literature, lol). I was just telling my husband last night that today's relevance for this book is Napoleon's campaign of disinformation (with all the Covid/political disinformation online now). I'll add it to my literature list as well.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rutheart said:

I hear you about scrapping all the plans. I've always wanted to do a year of project-based learning in middle school. I feel like that synthesis and real life experience would be such a great morale boost for preteens. It would also help them clarify what kind of work they're interested in, so they're self-motivated through the high school years. If my husband wasn't pushing for public school, that is what I'd be planning.

I'm currently re-reading Animal Farm myself (it's been a long two years of quarantine, so I've run out of non-academic books to re-read, and next up is the Bedford Anthology of World Literature, lol). I was just telling my husband last night that today's relevance for this book is Napoleon's campaign of disinformation (with all the Covid/political disinformation online now). I'll add it to my literature list as well.

Yes, I’ve done Animal Farm with my older three in eighth or ninth  grade. It is short and the story makes the ideas and warnings very accessible. It’s one of those books that comes up regularly in our house. 

• Like 1

My oldest, Peter, will be in 8th grade next year.
The tentative plan:

Math: Precalc - Foerster or Derek Owens or Math without Borders

Language Arts: Lantern English writing and literature classes. Plus lots of reading from a broad literature list.
Perhaps continue in WWS 2 or start CAP Argument Builder depending on Lantern workload.

History: homegrown Modern History.

Econ: mix of MIT OCW Principles of Microeconomics and Great Courses lectures

Science: Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry

Spanish: homegrown Spanish 5 utilizing a conversational tutor and a reading/writing tutor, preparing for 300-level dual enrollment in 9th grade

Memorization: Anki, so many Anki cards!!

Art: Comic book drawing class

PE: Outdoor Nature exploration and skills class

Extras: Fun flex-time classes...this year they are Escape Room and Free Choice Art. No clue what will be offered next year.

Edited by wendyroo

4 hours ago, freesia said:

Yes, I’ve done Animal Farm with my older three in eighth or ninth  grade. It is short and the story makes the ideas and warnings very accessible. It’s one of those books that comes up regularly in our house. 

Same. It’s a fantastic book for that age.

• Like 1

I’m planning to focus on math.  I think she probably needs another year without a calculator.  

She likes the textbook History Odyssey, and she likes The Story of Science.  I think she will continue reading and taking notes from those two series.  

I am seeing a need to focus on relationship.  

I also am feeling like she needs to go to brick and mortar school for high school.

She has been in public school to date, and I have no concerns about her attending in 9th grade (academically).  She doesn’t need to get ready.  

She does follow interests on her own, and she is a private person as well, or she can feel like I am too much of a busybody.  Which is to say — she can follow her interests on her own!  And it is her preference.  

This will also make the relationship part easier I think.  

This is turning out to be really positive, we are getting to spend time together in a good way.  I have focused so much on her brothers and they have a way of taking up my energy first and then there is not energy left to spread around.  My sons are currently doing well in public school.  

• Like 1

This will be my last year with this kid at home, as we're planning for him to go the the local public high school.

Math: finish up Alg2, then AoPS Geometryreading lists from Living Math U3

Logic: Finish Art of Argument, then Argument Builder.

Science: Hewitt's Conceptual Physics (DH has been teaching this in his high school classroom for over a decade) along with continuing in The Story of Science books that fit the history timeline.

History: Civil War to the modern period, using Light to the Nations P2 & the companion The Making of the Modern World: The History of the United States as our spine, with plenty of other resources as needed.

Latin: finish Henle First Year

Language arts: Writing With Skill level 3; Vocabulary from Classical Roots levels C & D; Grammar for the Well Trained Mind

Literature: assigned books from the WTM reading list plus whatever else he wants to read, he usually has several non-school books going at once

Sports: summer cross country training with the local running club, fall soccer & cross country, winter basketball , spring soccer. 

Music: Continue with piano and viola lessons, and self-teaching saxophone so that he can join the public school marching band the summer after 8th grade. We may add in the Great Courses How to Listen to and Understand Classical Music course, if we can find the time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Love these threads...great for ideas!

My DS
Math-Saxon Algebra 2

Science-2nd half of Conceptual Integrated Science

History/Lit/Geography-TOG Year 1 using Human Odyssey as a spine

Duolingo practice for Spanish and Latin

Writing: IEW Narnia 2

Grammar/Vocab: CLE LA 7 and Vocabulary from Classical Roots B

Art: Drawing with Mark Kistler and Meet the Masters

Music: Cello, Piano and music theory. Hopefully returning to orchestra as well. 

Elective: chess club and possibly horse-riding lessons

• Like 1

My plans for my son are:

Bible - Not sure

Math -    AoPS Geometry or Algebra 2 (not sure what is after algebra 1)

Science -   apologia high school chemistry, possibly continue with organic chemistry if there are more classes and find other cool science classes on outschool

History  -  Notgrass American HIstory

Literature -  Center for literature

Writing -  Not sure.  Either IEW or Essentials in Writing

Grammar / Vocab / Spelling:  Fix It Grammar / Vocabulary Roots from Critical thinking company / Spelling You See

PE -  Soccer, Choi Kwang Do, and via outschool

Logic -  Discovery of Deduction via Schole Academy

Foreign Language - Latin For children and Homeschool Spanish Academy

Elective -  programming

Fun - DnD  😃  We can't forget about fun.  I have to pencil that in too!  haha

And if there is time public speaking with Rose Debate and Math Circle

My oldest will be in 8th.

Math: AOPS books - Intro C&P, which she will probably start before the end of the current school year, and then Intermediate Algebra.

Latin: Wheelock's Latin Reader. Still working on what else to use here. She also does Certamen with a homeschool NJCL chapter.

Science: biology, outsourced to a local mom who teaches science classes from her home. She uses Apologia. There's a part of me that is very very sad to be outsourcing anything, but this is the best decision, for a variety of reasons.

English: reading stuff, writing stuff about the reading stuff. 😉 I don't have a book list selected for her yet.

Social Studies: Introduction to Psychology from a Christian Perspective (7sisters). I'm guessing a semester for that. After that we'll see what she's interested in - we are currently (7th grade) finishing up K12 Human Odyssey volume 3, and I decided next year could be an interest-led year. She's been very interested in psychology so we're starting with that.

Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, books 3&4. 

Computer Skills: DH will continue to work with her on coding.

Music: piano lessons. Not sure if she will want to continue children's choir - she is one of the oldest kids in there currently and she's very aware of that. Might be looking for other options.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really love to hear what other moms are doing.  It helps me plan my year to see sights and curriculum that I have not used before.  

For next year have the following so far: 

English writing and literature with a private teacher that comes to our home.  They will study Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, etc.  She will also do Wordly Wise and Caesar's English.  

Spanish 2 with Easy Spanish Step by Step, private italki tutor, and Voces online curriculum

Mandarin with an italki tutor and Chineseforus.  (I would love to hear of any online Chinese classes that someone just loves.)

Algebra 1 Teaching Textbooks and a private tutor

Choir 

History will be American.  She will sit in on her sister's high school American history class.

Acting and horse back riding for extra curriculars. 

Economics over the summer with the Uncle Remus books and maybe some Dave Ramsey. 

Science will be a mix of Ellen McHenry Basement Classroom

My last middle schooler!!  It is a wonderful accomplishment and a little sad for me at the same time.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking we need to refocus and simplify, but it's still early planning. This is my brainy guy, still a sponge, loves reading and learning. We're trying some family-style unit studies as a group with lots of added activities.

Math: Teaching Textbooks PreAlgebra

Science/Nature:

• Guest Hollow's Anatomy
  • FtLoH Nature Study Club / 1000 Hours' Add the Wonder

Social Studies:

• Canadian History
  • Early Modern - History Odyssey Level 2
  • UK & US history as it pertains to our Canadian history studies
  • Canadian Geography - Headphone History High School Geography
  • World Geography - Guest Hollow's High School

Language Arts:

• Finishing LLfLotR
  • Spelling Wisdom 3 & Using Language Well 3
  • Brave Writer Help with High School; Boomerangs
  • Canadian Handwriting
  • Vocab from Classical Roots
  • Something for Logic

Extras:

• Masterpiece Society - Art School: Drawing 101 ?
  • French - Breaking the French Barrier Level 1
  • He'd like the Canadian Cryptids Unit from The Great Canadian Adventure
  • Junior Canadian Rangers
  • Piano
  • Working our way through Home Ec for Everyone
  • We're refinishing our basement so he'll be learning as he goes, + Shop Class for Everyone
Edited by AsgardCA