Menu

Homeschooling in Michigan

lewelma

I'm in NZ, but I'm helping my sister who wants to homeschool her kids until the end of this academic year and then have them re-enter in September. One is in 6th and the other 8th grade. I've looked online, and it looks to me like you don't have to do *anything* in MI. 1) No paperwork to fill out to be allowed to homeschool. 2) No tests or portfolios to document your homeschool. 3) And no requirements to once again enter a public school. Is this true?  Can someone please shed light on this situation for me, and how it might impact them re-entering in September. 

Thanks!

Ruth in NZ

ETA:  The 8th grader is taking algebra, will that be a problem for high school credits? They are currently in an online program through the public school which is really really bad. They pulled out of public school 2 weeks ago at the beginning of quarter 3 to an online public school program, and it is just not going to work, it is just that bad. But my sister told me that she did not want to have to fill out 'all the paperwork' to homeschool. Is there anything she has to do? Is it a problem to re-enter in a month if the homeschooling goes badly?

Edited by lewelma

As long as they re-enter by the beginning of ninth grade nothing should impact re-entry in the US; kids are generally placed in grades by age regardless of where and how they have schooled previously--except if they are trying to enter midway through high school.

Hopefully others can speak to Michigan-sprecific requirements.

• Like 1

If your sister's kids are currently enrolled in public school, it's a good idea to send a letter/email notifying the school she is withdrawing them to homeschool. After that, she doesn't have to do anything else in terms of official reporting/testing. 

I don't think getting back into school is not an issue unless you're trying to claim high school credits to enter 10th grade or above. I was able to enroll my dd in 9h grade with no issues (homeschooled all the way until then). The school did ask for a math test for Honors placement.

Also, in my area, homeschooled kids were allowed to take non-core classes in public schools, so they had access to fun electives like cooking, art, drama, etc.

PS I'm talking about my experience homeschooling in mid-Michigan.

Edited by sgo95
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. The 8th grader is taking algebra, will that be a problem for high school credits? They are currently in an online program through the public school which is really really bad. They pulled out of public school 2 weeks ago at the beginning of quarter 3 to an online public school program, and it is just not going to work, it is just that bad. But my sister told me that she did not want to have to fill out 'all the paperwork' to homeschool. Is there anything she has to do? Is it a problem to re-enter in a month if the homeschooling goes badly?

Edited by lewelma

7 hours ago, maize said:

As long as they re-enter by the beginning of ninth grade nothing should impact re-entry in the US; kids are generally placed in grades by age regardless of where and how they have schooled previously--except if they are trying to enter midway through high school.

Hopefully others can speak to Michigan-sprecific requirements.

It can be tricky actually.  Michigan does not require public schools to accept any credits or work or proof of work from homeschoolers. Every single school district is allowed to set its own policy. So I have known children who were allowed to enter the grade their homeschooling parent indicated was appropriate, children who were required to take subject testing and were placed according to the results, and students who were automatically set back a grade or two as "punishment" for being homeschooled. Teachers in my area are openly hostile to having formerly homeschooled students placed in their classroom so one needs to find out the faculty culture/attitude about home schooled students before racing to re-enroll. There are truly great districts with open arms to homeschoolers, and some who are positively punishing, and it is all perfectly legal.

The children should be prepped for taking placement exams.

Chances are the 8th grader/rising 9th grader will not receive credit for algebra 1. The usual course of action is a math placement exam, and if the student tests out of algebra 1, they are placed in the next math class in sequence. For some schools that is geometry, others it could be algebra 2. Michigan colleges and universities do not want to see any 8th grade or middle school work on transcripts. They consider only the last eight semesters of work completed to be on the document. But that is fine because the assumption is that if they see geometry or algebra 2 as the first math of high school, the student must have passed the prerequisite. It is the same for things like Spanish 2. If that is the first foreign language on the high school transcript, it is assumed Spanish 1 was passed in a previous grade.

The parent really needs to contact the principal of each building in the district she intends to rep enroll in and ask about their homeschool policy so she knows in advance what to expect. Hopefully they just want more students and will welcome them with open arms, no strings attached. But, that is not guaranteed at all.

We do have school or choice as well. She can enroll her children in a district in which she does not reside so long as she can provide transportation, and at the high school level, they have an opening that does not require them to hire more faculty because adding the student puts them over their policy limit for student/staff ration. So she can shop around and see which schools might be best for her kids or have the best rep admittance policy.

Technically, on paper, Michigan is restrictive on homeschooling. The only actual legal exemption to the mandatory attendance law is religious. But because they do not require registration, no one has to make a religious claim to homeschool. The only other option is if the parent possesses a teaching license. Zero enforcement however. We home schooled secularly for academics only and flew totally under the radar. The state also mandates specific subjects must be taught, and it is a broader list than other states. But people do what they want because no enforcement. Where it comes into play is if a stinky district says "you didn't cover x, y, z, your kid has to go back a grade" or if one is trying to get a rising 9th grader into high school and they say the proper pre-requisites have not been achieved and the student cannot enter the college prep sequence. That is a big deal down the road if you want your student to have access to AP's and dual enrollment or Calculus or Advanced Bio or whatever. Much of this is district dependent, not state dictated.

• Thanks 1

We live in Michigan.

To withdraw the kids, she should just send an email to the school to alert them. No explanation required, just a courtesy notification - no reason to burn bridges with the administration if there is a chance the 6th grader will be re-enrolled in the same school.

Michigan requires no homeschool documentation. No testing, no portfolios, no keeping track of hours. There isn't even a requirement to register your homeschool student. 

As for algebra, if the 8th grader is currently passing, then at the very least they should get .5 algebra credit since what they have done so far was through the public school. But beyond that, there is no requirement that the high school accept a homeschool transcript as proof of the other half credit. If your sister pulls the kids, I would get in touch with the high school now and ask what can be done to verify/earn the other half credit and get the student enrolled in geometry in the fall...if that is truly what is best. OTOH, if the algebra teaching has been so horrible this year, it might not be a bad idea to re-take algebra in the fall at the high school.

The other thing to be aware of is that while registering homeschool kids to re-enter public school should not be any issue (up through 9th grade), they can get the short end of the stick in terms of choosing classes for the next year. If they are not enrolled at the time that everyone else is choosing classes, then they will likely only be able to pick from classes that have openings.

• Thanks 1

My sister really just doesn't want to have to deal with the 'paperwork' which is why they are in the public online program and I am doing 'enrichment' on the side. The problem is that for the 8th grader in particular, the online program is taking 6.5 hours to complete everyday and is so basic, and so arduous, that he is really miserable. The math in particular is very very bad, and obviously he and I can do a way better job (I am a math tutor), but we just don't have time to do a whole lot and all of our 'enrichment' work is just collapsing because he is exhausted from a day of fighting with a computer. He is a gifted student, and very good at math, so that is not an issue at all.

I doubt my sister will be willing to call the highschools to ask about their policies (as this would classify as 'paperwork'). She is just so covid weary, and I respect that she needs most things easy right now. I'm just trying to find a solution for the 8th grader in particular. I'm going to ask them to ask the online program if he can just take the unit tests and exam for a grade in Algebra and not have to watch all the videos and do all the bitsy homework sets. But sounds like he could be screwed next year if he doesn't stay in the online program. sigh

Edited by lewelma

So what is required to get into the college prep sequence. I ask because this online program he is currently in is known to be at a lower level than what is offered in person. Has he already screwed his chances of being accepted into the college prep sequence? Will he have to take placement tests based on the in person content?

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

So what is required to get into the college prep sequence. I ask because this online program he is currently in is known to be at a lower level than what is offered in person. Has he already screwed his chances of being accepted into the college prep sequence? Will he have to take placement tests based on the in person content?

In my experience, schools don't care much about what students have actually learned, but rather what they have officially been taught.

So if the 8th grader passes algebra this year, either through the public school or online public school program, then he will be allowed to take geometry next year. No matter how weak the algebra class was...because the school will never acknowledge that a public school approved program isn't adequately preparation for future classes.

But I don't think there is a "college prep sequence" quite like you are thinking. Depending on the district, algebra might first be offered as early as 6th grade or as late as 8th or even hypothetically 9th grade. The age at which a student takes algebra doesn't normally determine a track or mean they are offered easier or harder versions of the class. Back in the day, I took algebra 2 in 9th grade, but was in the same class as 10th, 11th, and 12th graders who would clearly never make it as far in the math sequence as I would.

If your nephew finishes algebra (through a public school provider of some sort) this year, then his following years would probably be geometry in 9th, algebra 2 in 10th, precalc in 11th and calc in 12th. Or at least that is my guess based on my schooling in Michigan and what I know of current schooling around here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lewelma said:

We can't answer that for you because it is District specific. Common core was largely rejected so there isn't a strict stream of what is required as prerequisites for each school. Some will begin freshmen in biology if they had physical science in 8th grade. Some consider physical science to be a high school class and do not offer biology until 10th grade, and part and parcel of that can be that they have dropped advanced physics and chem/AP's because they are expensive to provide or don't have someone qualified to teach them. English placement is almost entirely test specific and based on 8th grade achievement exams. 

I am sorry we can not be more specific than that. She needs to find out what her district his doing with the top 20% of the 8th grade class because that will be a good guide. But again, they do not have to accept anything he completes, and may require placement exams. My stab in the dark guess is that if he had algebra 1 squarely under his belt and tests well in it, physical science (and chances are they will use math placement as an indicator of science placement as well), then those two will fall into place. English will be a wild card. If you can cover some good literature and teach him to write a sound, five paragraph standard essay, outline for a simple paper, and master some high school level vocabulary then I think he would probably test into the rotation for college bound students. But again, it depends. If he is going into one of our top high schools like International Academy, Frankenmuth High, City High Middle School, Saginaw Academy of Sciences and Arts, Grosspointe, Novi High School, Black River Public,....several others, the stakes will be a lot higher. When my niece attended SASA, she was considered a remedial student because she struggled in math and could not test out of algebra 1 and geometry prior to 9th grade and it very negatively impacted the course options for her in science as well. 

The difference in "college prep" between the lowest performing district in my county to the highest performing is absolutely startling! 

See if mum can talk privately with a teacher at the high school he will be attending to find out what is suggested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wendyroo said:

In my experience, schools don't care much about what students have actually learned, but rather what they have officially been taught.

So if the 8th grader passes algebra this year, either through the public school or online public school program, then he will be allowed to take geometry next year. No matter how weak the algebra class was...because the school will never acknowledge that a public school approved program isn't adequately preparation for future classes.

But I don't think there is a "college prep sequence" quite like you are thinking. Depending on the district, algebra might first be offered as early as 6th grade or as late as 8th or even hypothetically 9th grade. The age at which a student takes algebra doesn't normally determine a track or mean they are offered easier or harder versions of the class. Back in the day, I took algebra 2 in 9th grade, but was in the same class as 10th, 11th, and 12th graders who would clearly never make it as far in the math sequence as I would.

If your nephew finishes algebra (through a public school provider of some sort) this year, then his following years would probably be geometry in 9th, algebra 2 in 10th, precalc in 11th and calc in 12th. Or at least that is my guess based on my schooling in Michigan and what I know of current schooling around here.

Here in the good districts it does affect things. Algebra 2 as a terminal point for none college bound students covers less content and uses a different text. The Algebra 2 text for college bound students has three chapters of pre-calc prep. The district has a symbol or something they use on the transcript to indicate which course was taken, but off hand, I can't remember what it is. Students wanting to get into AP Chem or AP Bio have to take the harder class as a pre-requisite. They cannot take Trig/Pre-Calc from the easier sequence. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lewelma said:

My sister really just doesn't want to have to deal with the 'paperwork' which is why they are in the public online program and I am doing 'enrichment' on the side. The problem is that for the 8th grader in particular, the online program is taking 6.5 hours to complete everyday and is so basic, and so arduous, that he is really miserable. The math in particular is very very bad, and obviously he and I can do a way better job (I am a math tutor), but we just don't have time to do a whole lot and all of our 'enrichment' work is just collapsing because he is exhausted from a day of fighting with a computer. He is a gifted student, and very good at math, so that is not an issue at all.

I doubt my sister will be willing to call the highschools to ask about their policies (as this would classify as 'paperwork'). She is just so covid weary, and I respect that she needs most things easy right now. I'm just trying to find a solution for the 8th grader in particular. I'm going to ask them to ask the online program if he can just take the unit tests and exam for a grade in Algebra and not have to watch all the videos and do all the bitsy homework sets. But sounds like he could be screwed next year if he doesn't stay in the online program. sigh

I've been reading along as a homeschooler in Illinois who may eventually return a student to a brick and mortar school. If she is Covid-weary, what are the odds she is ready to return her children next school year?  Is there any possibility she'd choose a different educational path for her children?  I always worry we will get so far and it will be for nothing, especially if I have a student who doesn't do well on a test.

So they have decided this morning to pull the kids out of the online program. I've told them to call the highschool and find out if there will be placement tests or if they can just use recommendations from his 8th grade teachers. This sounds like a small district (and seems to provide a pretty crap education from what I can tell). These kids are covid weary and they are pulling them out for mental health issues. I'll make sure the math is up to speed.  That is not a problem at all.

Does anyone have an example English placement test that a Michigan high school school might use?  So standardized tests with bubbles? or are we talking about write an essay in an hour based on a prompt (like the old SAT used to have)? Or write a literary analysis essay in a hour based on a poem or nonfiction piece? I can prep him if I know they will be testing.

Our plan for english right now is to do Lord of the Flies, Frankenstein, and The Trial. He did ask for emotional, angsty books. LOL. And write 2 papers on each. He is also doing research papers for science, so lots of writing there too. Current project is comparing Fukushima to Chernobyl. So we will be focusing on evaluating sources and learning how to reference as the English part of his science work. 

4 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Does anyone have an example English placement test that a Michigan high school school might use?  So standardized tests with bubbles? or are we talking about write an essay in an hour based on a prompt (like the old SAT used to have)? Or write a literary analysis essay in a hour based on a poem or nonfiction piece? I can prep him if I know they will be testing.

Our plan for english right now is to do Lord of the Flies, Frankenstein, and The Trial. He did ask for emotional, angsty books. LOL. And write 2 papers on each. He is also doing research papers for science, so lots of writing there too. Current project is comparing Fukushima to Chernobyl. So we will be focusing on evaluating sources and learning how to reference as the English part of his science work. 

I have never heard of a highschool using a placement test for English because there is no standardized canon what "9th grade English" is supposed to contain (as opposed to at least some general idea what "algebra" and "geometry" are ). Do they really test into a certain English class in Michigan, @FaithManor?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Just now, regentrude said:

I have never heard of a highschool using a placement test for English because there is no standardized canon what "9th grade English" is supposed to contain (as opposed to at least some general idea what "algebra" and "geometry" are ).

ok. good to know. I just need to make sure that we prep for any tests that they will give him. He needs this time off from B&M school but obviously we don't want it to impact his future. He will be learning way more with me, but if we have to prove this, I need to know how. 

18 minutes ago, lewelma said:

ok. good to know. I just need to make sure that we prep for any tests that they will give him. He needs this time off from B&M school but obviously we don't want it to impact his future. He will be learning way more with me, but if we have to prove this, I need to know how. 

I am not in Michigan, so maybe there things are different - but mostly placement tests are for stuff where they have distinct levels and where credit can be brought up from before highschool. So, if he's in algebra now, and that is a required highschool credit, he may either need to take a placement test to be allowed to get into the next math class (usually geometry), or they will make him repeat algebra.  Accepting highschool credit from homeschoolers is a sticky point, and different school districts are different levels of obstinate about that.
But you don't usually bring in a credit for "highschool English" - they'll have all students do English and count only the stuff they do there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I am not in Michigan, so maybe there things are different - but mostly placement tests are for stuff where they have distinct levels and where credit can be brought up from before highschool. So, if he's in algebra now, and that is a required highschool credit, he may either need to take a placement test to be allowed to get into the next math class (usually geometry), or they will make him repeat algebra.  Accepting highschool credit from homeschoolers is a sticky point, and different school districts are different levels of obstinate about that.
But you don't usually bring in a credit for "highschool English" - they'll have all students do English and count only the stuff they do there. 

Yeah, but some places will use performance in 8th grade English (grades, usually) or test scores on standardized reading or writing exams for placement into honors/ advanced tracks in English.  At least here.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, lewelma said:

There is definitely an honors track at our local school district when it comes to English classes beginning in 9th grade, but that will vary district to district. Here access is by teacher referral and standardized test scores.

For covid, these resources were also given to parents locally for english: https://www.readworks.org and https://www.commonlit.org/en.  

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

There is definitely an honors track at our local school district when it comes to English classes beginning in 9th grade, but that will vary district to district. Here access is by teacher referral and standardized test scores.

For covid, these resources were also given to parents locally for english: https://www.readworks.org and https://www.commonlit.org/en.  

Teacher referral is what I would like him to do given that he did the first 2 quarters of 8th grade in a B&M school. If he hast to take a standardized test, is that something that my sister can organize or is it only given to school kids in MI?

Thanks for the links, will go take a look.

Just now, regentrude said:

Right. Except my district has three levels of freshman English, college prep 1, English 1, and Remedial 1, and placement tests are used to determine which of the students gets into them if they did not complete Advanced English class for 8th grade which is roughly the top 20% and based on their achievement scores at the end of 7th grade. Math placement also determines freshmen science placement which then determines if the student will make it to dual enrollment or AP's in the junior and senior year. I will say that college prep English 1 and 2  (sometimes called Honors depending on the district) are the prerequisites to take AP English or dual enrollment College Comp.

So unfortunately, it isn't problematic for math only although some districts are much more forgiving with placement than others. Mine is a total snob which is just laughable because I think they do a lousy, lousy job!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Technically, on paper, Michigan is restrictive on homeschooling. The only actual legal exemption to the mandatory attendance law is religious. But because they do not require registration, no one has to make a religious claim to homeschool. The only other option is if the parent possesses a teaching license. Zero enforcement however. We home schooled secularly for academics only and flew totally under the radar. The state also mandates specific subjects must be taught, and it is a broader list than other states. But people do what they want because no enforcement. Where it comes into play is if a stinky district says "you didn't cover x, y, z, your kid has to go back a grade" or if one is trying to get a rising 9th grader into high school and they say the proper pre-requisites have not been achieved and the student cannot enter the college prep sequence. That is a big deal down the road if you want your student to have access to AP's and dual enrollment or Calculus or Advanced Bio or whatever. Much of this is district dependent, not state dictated.

I read all the homeschool laws very carefully when I homeschooled (granted that was 13 years ago) and this does not sound correct at all. Anyone can homeschool their own kids in Michigan for any reason. There is a list of subjects which should be covered at some point. There is no oversight or required testing.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/home_schools_122555_7.pdf

18 hours ago, lewelma said:

Thanks guys. The 8th grader is taking algebra, will that be a problem for high school credits? They are currently in an online program through the public school which is really really bad. They pulled out of public school 2 weeks ago at the beginning of quarter 3 to an online public school program, and it is just not going to work, it is just that bad. But my sister told me that she did not want to have to fill out 'all the paperwork' to homeschool. Is there anything she has to do? Is it a problem to re-enter in a month if the homeschooling goes badly?

Algebra 1 is not a high school class in Michigan. Normally that is taken in 8th grade. As long as the kids re-enter by the beginning of 9th grade, it should not be a problem. The only tricky thing will be proving that they are ready for advanced or honors classes. A placement test could be required for math. 

Edited by Longtime Lurker
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Algebra 1 is not a high school class in Michigan. Normally that is taken in 8th grade. As long as the kids re-enter by the beginning of 9th grade, it should not be a problem. The only tricky thing will be proving that they are ready for advanced or honors classes. A placement test could be required for math. 

He must be in a crap school, because they required that in order to do Algebra 1 in 8th grade, that he do also do 8th grade math. So 2 classes - algebra 1 and 8th grade math both done in 8th grade. At his school, Algebra 1 in 8th grade is considered advanced. 

5 minutes ago, lewelma said:

He must be in a crap school, because they required that in order to do Algebra 1 in 8th grade, that he do also do 8th grade math. So 2 classes - algebra 1 and 8th grade math both done in 8th grade. At his school, Algebra 1 in 8th grade is considered advanced. 

Interesting. Algebra in 8th grade was considered advanced when I was in 8th grade (1984), but now it is the standard. Is your nephew in a rural district?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Oh yes, we have some pretty SAD schools here. I am very sorry if your new ones is zoned for one of them.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I read all the homeschool laws very carefully when I homeschooled (granted that was 13 years ago) and this does not sound correct at all. Anyone can homeschool their own kids in Michigan for any reason. There is a list of subjects which should be covered at some point. There is no oversight or required testing.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/home_schools_122555_7.pdf

There is no oversight or required testing. And actually, you are right. The statute had been amended. When I began homeschooling the only exemption from compulsory attendance and teacher licensing was religious. They have expanded that. This is good. When the state supreme court decided it back in the 80's it was.pretty strict and religious exemption was it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

There is no oversight or required testing. And actually, you are right. The statute had been amended. When I began homeschooling the only exemption from compulsory attendance and teacher licensing was religious. They have expanded that. This is good. When the state supreme court decided it back in the 80's it was.pretty strict and religious exemption was it.

Oh, interesting. I guess I did not realize that it was different before I started homeschooling. I'm glad they changed it!

23 minutes ago, lewelma said:

This is a common thing done in some schools. They let the student into 8th grade algebra 1 but if their achievement scores or grades in math or teacher recommendations were iffy in 7th grade, they make them take another, easier math alongside algebra 1 so if they do not pass algebra 1, they did not fail 8th grade math and then have to be placed in remedial high school math. Some schools just require it of everyone which is extra stupid but I am not claiming that the education powers of this state have any common sense much less operate very smartly or efficiently.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This is a common thing done in some schools. They let the student into 8th grade algebra 1 but if their achievement scores or grades in math or teacher recommendations were iffy in 7th grade, they make them take another, easier math alongside algebra 1 so if they do not pass algebra 1, they did not fail 8th grade math and then have to be placed in remedial high school math. Some schools just require it of everyone which is extra stupid but I am not claiming that the education powers of this state have any common sense much less operate very smartly or efficiently.

This is really good to know. Basically, he is advanced in his thinking, but gets most things wrong due to going to fast because he is overconfident.  So he likely did stink on the placement test which is why he has 2 math classes. No one ever explained that to him and it makes perfect sense to me. This I can fix. Algebra is my specialty. 🙂 

• Like 1

Just now, lewelma said:

This is really good to know. Basically, he is advanced in his thinking, but gets most things wrong due to going to fast because he is overconfident.  So he likely did stink on the placement test which is why he has 2 math classes. No one ever explained that to him and it makes perfect sense to me. This I can fix. Algebra is my specialty. 🙂 

If you can fix it well enough for him to do decently on a placement exam, you will.be doing him a HUGE service! I would not even worry about "credit" and at this point assume he will be tested. Or even better yet, of he is ready, have her sign him up for the June SAT. That is a go to achievement test here, and if he passes the algebra 1 section, since he is in 8th grade, it will not matter about the geometry, algebra 2, or the few trig questions. They will be looking at that basic algebra. It is not a great test, but it is widely recognized. 

39 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

If you can fix it well enough for him to do decently on a placement exam, you will.be doing him a HUGE service! I would not even worry about "credit" and at this point assume he will be tested. Or even better yet, of he is ready, have her sign him up for the June SAT. That is a go to achievement test here, and if he passes the algebra 1 section, since he is in 8th grade, it will not matter about the geometry, algebra 2, or the few trig questions. They will be looking at that basic algebra. It is not a great test, but it is widely recognized. 

Oh I know I can fix it. That is what I do for a living.

But SAT. 😞  Ug. I'm not a huge fan of that test, but at least we would have lots of practice problems we can access. 

6 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Oh I know I can fix it. That is what I do for a living.

But SAT. 😞  Ug. I'm not a huge fan of that test, but at least we would have lots of practice problems we can access. 

Oh, I agree. I hate it, and think it is a trash test. But sigh. It might be a reasonable option under the circumstances.

5 hours ago, lewelma said:

Ok, Ug with the resources.  I really really just like to do my own thing. Hoping I don't need to integrate this kind of work. 

I wouldn’t necessarily integrate it, but I included it to give you an idea of what they’re covering in case he will need to test.  It is very different than the classical approach I took with my kids.

There is actually a standardized test at the end of 8th. I just can’t remember the name right now. I had my oldest take it.

Edited by melmichigan