Menu

History of Us: Original vs. Concise

Slache

Hi @Slache

We haven’t used the concise version, so I can only speak to the 10 volume version.

My kids are reading the 10 volumes over 4 years. It’s roughly 3 chapters / week x 36 weeks x 4 years to get through most of the books. Some of the chapters are super, super short, so we double up on those. It’s a very easy and doable pace. I figure there is no way they can retain / remember the entirety of US history if they inhale it in one year. I prefer spacing it out because they’re also reading other books that might be related to topics they see in Hakim’s books, and that helps them to remember the info and better understand the historical context.

We don’t love the writing style - it’s a little too colloquial and casual for our taste, but we do love the many interesting side bars and tidbits that she throws in.  The series has piqued an interest in various topics / people for both my kids, and they’ve gone on to seek out further reading on those topics.  

We do it CM style where they read the chapter and verbally narrate it to me. It’s very casual. I don’t require any written output. I would say that Hakim’s writing style does not lend itself to being the kind of “spine” that you could ask a child to readily outline or produce a written summary of. It’s not even very conducive to note-taking.  So we just enjoy it for what it is - like a story book of US history.

They read it concurrently with another world history thread (MWF Hakim, T TH World History), and I’ve found that it’s given them a good understanding of how US history fits into the broader context of world history.

HTH!

• Like 2

We did the 10-book series in a single year. It was too much. 🙂

If I could do it over again, we’d spread out the 10-book series over at least 2 years, or we’d do the concise version.  I’d probably do the concise version and get it done in a single year.

• Like 1

We're doing the 10 volume set right now. We're on volume 4 right now, intending to do 1-6 this year, and 7-10 next year alongside SOTW4. I have the concise version on my shelf but decided to go with the slightly longer version. We read 2 chapters a day, 3-4 times a week, and we're getting through it easily. We're reading various novels that go along with the time period and have interesting discussions. Occasionally we go on field trips that fit in. 

• Like 1

I've read through both aloud and the concise version is a whole lot better than the original.  Less wandery, better pictures, the layout is beautiful.  I actually couldn't stand the original but the concise version eliminates everything I couldn't stand and retains what's good. 

There is literally no good reason to slog through the original.  You won't get more information or more rigor or more of anything at all. 

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

@EKS @Sneezyone @Ad astra

Thank you so much! I almost didn't ask, because OF COURSE the concise isn't as good! So glad I asked. So, is this a 2 year venture? And I still need the 11th volume of the original for the source texts? Where do I get the student guides? Heck, where do I get the books?

I found the books, years ago, on Amazon. You could do it in a year with a motivated student. DS was that way. For DD, it took two and provided plenty of time for bunny trails. Ironically (or not), DD retained some (not much) and DS retained most. He is killing US history this year (in PS). The source guide is helpful for bringing together the original texts but so many of them are open source that there's really no need (e.g. the Magna Carta, Constitution, letters from chieftains, generals, etc.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

Thank you so much! I almost didn't ask, because OF COURSE the concise isn't as good! So glad I asked. So, is this a 2 year venture? And I still need the 11th volume of the original for the source texts? Where do I get the student guides? Heck, where do I get the books?

We did it over one year, but two works as well.  You don't need the 11th volume.  I wouldn't use the student guides (if you're talking about the materials from K12).  I'd just read and discuss.  Occasionally assign some writing on what's interesting.  Add supplemental reading, both nonfiction and fiction, and maybe some documentaries.  Go on a field trip or two.  Above all, enjoy it!  

• Like 2

I have both as well. I only kept the 10 volume because it is what OG3 uses for the US History courses. As soon as my son was done, I sold that set. The K12 concise is great. Now, I was able to get them used just looking around eventually they show up on albris, amazon, thrift books, abebooks. Just search the ISBN. I am pretty sure I pieced the 4 volume set together for less than $25.

• Like 1

Y'all have me trying to remember why I went with original instead of concise. I think it was just that when I was starting to look them over, I preferred holding a smaller book. I usually have a child on top of me and one snuggled next to me trying to work his way into my lap, so smaller works better.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Slache said:

I got all my books (the 4-book set and the K12 American History guides) used from Thriftbooks and Amazon. I'm not so familiar with US history, so for me the K12 guides are indispensable as much as the SOTW guides were. Of course, these are not as high quality as the SOTW AGs... but better than nothing I guess. We didn't sign up for the K12 Independent Study online program. We just read the book following the lesson plan and do discussions, assessments and some written assignments/activities in the guide.

We also have the Human Odyssey set and the K12 Intermediate World History guides for the next school year and will do the same.    

• Like 1

So basically, what you were saying is, since I recently bought the original version, I should just return them before we even start and buy the concise version? Actually my 17-year-old used the original version. But I suppose I could sell them now and get the concise version before my others are high school age.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

So basically, what you were saying is, since I recently bought the original version, I should just return them before we even start and buy the concise version? Actually my 17-year-old used the original version. But I suppose I could sell them now and get the concise version before my others are high school age.

Yes. I'm using them for middle school though. I hope that's ok.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Yes. I'm using them for middle school though. I hope that's ok.

K12 developed the concise version for 5th and 6th graders.  Middle school is definitely ok.  There is no way I'd use either version for high school.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EKS said:

K12 developed the concise version for 5th and 6th graders.  Middle school is definitely ok.  There is no way I'd use either version for high school.

I used them for high school, but also bought Great Courses as well, plus some extra books to read on the side. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EKS said:

I used them for high school, but I had no idea what to do. But, this particular child that I used them with is not a high achiever.

• Like 1