Menu

Stupid Baking Question

Kassia

If I'm baking sugar cookies what would happen if I topped them with a few chocolate chips when they come out of the oven?  Would the chocolate harden or stay soft?  

I'm hoping this is a terrible idea because I don't need more delicious tempting treats this month but we're baking sugar cookies later...

I think it would stay somewhat soft, kind of like the hershey kiss cookies. But it depends on how warm the cookies are. I usually put the kisses on the cookies while the cookies are in the oven for the last few minutes of baking. Since a chocolate chip is smaller, I would think you can do what you are suggesting. 

I love chocolate but the idea of chocolate chips on top of sugar cookies is not appealing to me somehow. Does that help with your second statement? LOL.

4 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I think it would stay somewhat soft, kind of like the hershey kiss cookies. But it depends on how warm the cookies are. I usually put the kisses on the cookies while the cookies are in the oven for the last few minutes of baking. Since a chocolate chip is smaller, I would think you can do what you are suggesting. 

I love chocolate but the idea of chocolate chips on top of sugar cookies is not appealing to me somehow. Does that help with your second statement? LOL.

Thanks!  I've made the terrible discovery of sprinkling things with chocolate chips lately like pancakes and waffles.  We're baking sugar cookies later (well, I'm not...I'm stuck lying around elevating my foot post-op).  I think everything tastes better with chocolate so I was wondering how this would work.  I really really really shouldn't try - all I've done since this surgery is eat eat eat.  And obviously no exercise since all I can do is lie down elevating my leg.  

I think they would melt a little so they'd be anchored. But I don't think it would get too melty.  But honestly I'm with Cintinative, that doesn't sound good to me. I do like chocolate chip cookies but just tossing chips on top of a different kind of cookie doesn't appeal.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, marbel said:

But honestly I'm with Cintinative, that doesn't sound good to me. I do like chocolate chip cookies but just tossing chips on top of a different kind of cookie doesn't appeal.  

LOL I wish I felt that way.  I really shouldn't even try this because they will be dangerous for me to have around if they aren't super messy.

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

LOL I wish I felt that way.  I really shouldn't even try this because they will be dangerous for me to have around if they aren't super messy.

I can see a few recipes when I googled for them, so apparently it's not that odd of a combo. I dont think they'd melt totally, just the flat bottom would soften until cooled down. Really, its sugar and chocolate, not sure why some think that's incompatible

• Thanks 1

I have occasionally dipped shortbread in chocolate, but not keen on it with a much softer sugar cookie. Shortbread is also more butter and balances better, imo. Chocolate also doesn't harden if it doesn't temper, so I think you would be left with a sticky mess with the method you're suggesting. More foolproof would be to melt in microwave or on stove top, then dip or brush on. Foe my sugar cookies, I make a stiff glaze of powdered sugar and milk and vanilla. I just brush on with a silicone baking brush. You can color glaze or not and add sprinkles or not. It dries to a smooth, pretty finish.

• Thanks 1

We often use chocolate chips to top baked things.  Usually cake, but cookies work too.  They’ll get thoroughly soft if you put them on the hot cookies, but they’ll hold their shape if you leave them alone. Then they’ll firm back up and then harden, depending on how long you wait.  You can also easily spread them after they soften, if you like.  Our favorite is to sprinkle them on cake, wait a few minutes, then spread them over the cake, and let the chocolate harden again.  I like the contrast between whatever you baked and the hardened chocolate layer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Amira said:

We often use chocolate chips to top baked things.  Usually cake, but cookies work too.  They’ll get thoroughly soft if you put them on the hot cookies, but they’ll hold their shape if you leave them alone. Then they’ll firm back up and then harden, depending on how long you wait.  You can also easily spread them after they soften, if you like.  Our favorite is to sprinkle them on cake, wait a few minutes, then spread them over the cake, and let the chocolate harden again.  I like the contrast between whatever you baked and the hardened chocolate layer.

Amira's experience is similar to ours.  Since you're laid up, my vote is that the helpers do all the baking and sprinkling of chips, bring you the warm tray to a table top you can reach, and when the chips have melted, and you get to be the spreader. 

I bet they'll be delicious, and the darker the choc, the better, since you'll have the cookie sweetness to offset. 

Feel better soon!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, math teacher said:

. I say if you're craving it, that's what your body needs. LOL That's what my dad used to say about when you are sick.

No one's body needs as much food as I've fed mine since I've been laid up.  All I do to fill the time is eat.  😞  And I have no motivation to eat healthy with all the tempting foods around.  

35 minutes ago, Amira said:

You can also easily spread them after they soften, if you like.  Our favorite is to sprinkle them on cake, wait a few minutes, then spread them over the cake, and let the chocolate harden again.  

If I use the chocolate chips, this is what I will do.  Thanks!