Menu

Data from neuropsych exam

Toocrazy!!

A couple months ago I asked here about ADHD for my DS, just in case anyone remembers. So, he did have a complete neuropsych exam. He received his report today and they did indicate ADHD and recommended he see his medical doctor to explore medical options. Otherwise the report didn’t say much about moving forward. 

During the in person meeting, he told DS several scores of his testing, indicating a spread between processing speed and working memory of over 50 points. So, DS asked for a full scale iq score, which he got in the written report. But when we asked for the data from the testing with all the components, the office said they could only release raw test scores to another neuropsych, not the patient. 
Does that sound right? 
I don’t know that it matters, although I was hoping to see the other scores to satisfy curiosity and for research purposes. I saw his complete test when he tested in elementary school and I wanted to compare. 

Is there more we can learn from the testing. The report mostly seemed to document DS’s attitude, behavior, etc during the test. 

We have an appt with his dr next week, and DS is eager to move forward with some options. 

DS16 had a spread between processing speed and working memory of 50 points  as well as one being 99th percentile and the other being 50th percentile. Besides FSIQ, GAI was also calculated and in his report. His processing speed was the low one so we had to be careful with his academic workload. 
I don’t know if getting the full report would help much but I would push for it since the full report was probably agreed upon before the evaluation was done.

@PeterPan has alot more experience interpreting 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

But when we asked for the data from the testing with all the components, the office said they could only release raw test scores to another neuropsych, not the patient. 

Oh, heck no! I would be really upset about that. That is your data, and you are entitled to it. It's like your family doctor saying that your labs are normal, and you're not entitled to your cholesterol numbers, etc. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Is there more we can learn from the testing. The report mostly seemed to document DS’s attitude, behavior, etc during the test. 

And yes, you probably can. You might find out you want additional language testing or something like that, and there is a chance the numbers would help you figure that out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Oh, heck no! I would be really upset about that. That is your data, and you are entitled to it. It's like your family doctor saying that your labs are normal, and you're not entitled to your cholesterol numbers, etc. 

Agreed, you should get the whole shebang.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have difficulty getting them, you might contact a special education advocate and see if they can offer tips or inform him of your rights. There might be something on Wrightslaw about this or even HIPAA. I haven't looked into it. 

Here are some things that might touch on that subject:

https://www.apaservices.org/practice/good-practice/test-data.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4301032/

9 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Reading the report again, the FSIQ was calculated using the 2 subtest algorithm. 

Is this the WISC V?

https://nspa.wildapricot.org/resources/Documents/kimbell__wisc-v_nspa_handout.pdf

Page 31 indicates that the FSIQ should be from 7 subtest scaled scores. 

Page 39 starts a section on using GAI and comparing indices.

Edited by kbutton

DS had two rounds of testing, once with an Ed Psych when he was 10 and then again with a Neuro Psych when he was 16, to get accommodations for ACT/SAT. In both cases we got a 10-20 page written report with all scores & subscores, as well as a written summary of the issues and specific recommendations for accommodations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Are you asking for raw scores or sub scores?

Raw scores would be the list of which items they got right and wrong.  That isn't shared, there are very specific rules about who can see the content of the tests and the qualifications you need to have. 

If you're asking for the individual scores -- e.g. their standard score and percentile rank on each subtest, and the various combinations?  Yes, you absolutely should be able to see those.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Baseballandhockey said:

Are you asking for raw scores or sub scores?

Raw scores would be the list of which items they got right and wrong.  That isn't shared, there are very specific rules about who can see the content of the tests and the qualifications you need to have. 

If you're asking for the individual scores -- e.g. their standard score and percentile rank on each subtest, and the various combinations?  Yes, you absolutely should be able to see those.  

Maybe I asked for the wrong thing. That makes sense. 
The report says They administered the WAIS IV. And a lot of other tests it appears. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Maybe I asked for the wrong thing. That makes sense. 
The report says They administered the WAIS IV. And a lot of other tests it appears. 

I am looking at what I consider a well done neurospych for an older teenager with suspected ADHD. 

Here is what is reported:

WAIS-IV

Composite Scores (standard and percentile ranks for both)

Verbal Comprehension

Perceptual Reasoning

Working Memory

Processing Speed

Full Scale IQ

General Ability

Each subtest listed under the composite score it goes to (standard scores and percentiles)

The following tests are reported the same way with composite scores, and subtest scores all standard and percentile

WJ-IV tests of achievement

GORT-5

TOWL-4

CTOPP-2

CELF-5

Rey-Osterreith Complex Figure Test

WRAML2

Wisconsin Card Sorting Test

Delis-Kaplan Executive Functioning

Motor Free Visual Perception Test

The following tests yield  lots of subtest T scores, but no composite scores, and all have self-report, parent and if applicable teacher versions.  They don't yield composite scores

Connors 3

BASC-w

BRIEF

There are other tests they do, based on the individual needs, like the MMPI-A or assessments of functional skills

So, my point is that you should have a lot of scores, and subtest scores, but in my experience they come in standard or T score forms, with percentiles.  They don't come in raw form.  

• Like 7