Menu

Beautiful lights in your neighborhood?

historically accurate

I'm planning to take the family to the Celebration of Lights which isn't too far from us tonight, and I was wondering do you have some great displays in your area? Maybe share some pictures. https://www.starvedrockcountry.com/2021/11/16/lasalles-celebration-of-lights-returns/

I thought I would also share this holiday display that stands as a Covid memorial. This one might be quite a drive to visit for us LOL. 

Article on the display: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/11/18/orlando-couple-honors-victims-of-covid-19-with-more-than-220000-light-display/

No photo description available.

• Like 1

Wow - we don’t have things like that here. Beautiful.

But we do have lots of neighbors with those blow up light up things. One blew away in that big wind storm the northeast got last week & is currently dangling in a maple in a different neighbors back yard, lol. Guess I’ll be looking at that all winter.

07A6654C-84C9-470C-997A-FA0B1F310F8D.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

Electricity is expensive here. I’ve never seen anything like the above in my area— maybe ever, actually. 

The zoo in Columbus did a holiday light exhibit as does a botanical garden here, but those are special events, not homes.

We don't have very many here either - I think it's because it's cold and often icy by Christmas time. In FL, my mom has some close-by houses that look like the above (and that one is in Orlando). It may be more of a fairer weather activity for homeowners. 

55 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Wow - we don’t have things like that here. Beautiful.

But we do have lots of neighbors with those blow up light up things. One blew away in that big wind storm the northeast got last week & is currently dangling in a maple in a different neighbors back yard, lol. Guess I’ll be looking at that all winter.

07A6654C-84C9-470C-997A-FA0B1F310F8D.jpeg

Poor Frosty (I am thinking it is a snowman?). 

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Poor Frosty (I am thinking it is a snowman?). 

Yep- it’s Frosty. Their Santa blew away too but they saved him and now he’s hanging by his toes from their front upstairs window 😂 

glad to know they have a sense of humor.

They turned him around no a he’s hanging by his fingertips and I think it’s the Grinch?

D3BBE764-1D70-4F5F-95C6-7942F681E7AB.jpeg

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Haha 1

These are not far from me. Last weekend, Santa Claws (the guy who lives there is a magician and entertainer, and one of his parties is a dinosaur party-inckudinf a deinonychus (person in a costume)-who had added a beard and hat 🙂) was there, too, as was our community's favorite Santa and Mrs. Claus (who ride to community events on a motorcycle). It was pretty awesome.

4E0B352A-6588-4E44-BBCB-CAEC0858C4FB.jpeg

D94E3FFC-205C-4C27-A387-26565B1CDD5E.jpeg

• Like 1

We don’t have anything that over the top, but Covid has definitely led residents of my small town to put up huge light displays compared to last year. 

My favorite is this house with 15 inflatables, most in a mixed star wars vs Charlie Brown theme, every edge in the house & lawn trimmed in a different color, and these super bright rotating LED bulbs that literally gave me a migraine.

This was right next door to the most tasteful and understated in town - a house with one large lighted wreath with warm white lights held up by a huge red bow, and a warm white candle in every window that were somehow 15 times brighter than ordinary window candles. I’d like to buy some. 

DH’s favorite was a display of inflated flying pigs wrapped in Christmas lights. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

We don’t have anything that over the top, but Covid has definitely led residents of my small town to put up huge light displays compared to last year. 

My favorite is this house with 15 inflatables, most in a mixed star wars vs Charlie Brown theme, every edge in the house & lawn trimmed in a different color, and these super bright rotating LED bulbs that literally gave me a migraine.

This was right next door to the most tasteful and understated in town - a house with one large lighted wreath with warm white lights held up by a huge red bow, and a warm white candle in every window that were somehow 15 times brighter than ordinary window candles. I’d like to buy some. 

DH’s favorite was a display of inflated flying pigs wrapped in Christmas lights. 

That’s my favorite look, and pretty common here. The architecture in my town is mostly classic New England and I find the candles to be perfectly understated and peaceful, fitting for the neighborhood and season. My neighbors have some beautiful bright candles; it would be hard for me right now with the curious kitties who spend a lot of their time on the windowsills, but I did find a pretty wreath with a center candle that I hung up in the picture window of our main room. I’m a fan of understated. 🙂 

DDEB8891-D749-4062-AD20-0E977A023D38.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MEmama said:

That’s my favorite look, and pretty common here. The architecture in my town is mostly classic New England and I find the candles to be perfectly understated and peaceful, fitting for the neighborhood and season. My neighbors have some beautiful bright candles; it would be hard for me right now with the curious kitties who spend a lot of their time on the windowsills, but I did find a pretty wreath with a center candle that I hung up in the picture window of our main room. I’m a fan of understated. 🙂 

DDEB8891-D749-4062-AD20-0E977A023D38.jpeg

It’s my favorite look too, but we were searching for favorite in the over the top tacky last night. 

If you can recommend super-bright warm white window candles I’d appreciate it.  We have some but they’re so dim you can barely see anything but the bulb from the street.  This year I put a small lighted wreath in each window instead. 

• Like 2

There's no way to make a rowhouse look Christmas lighted without it looking tacky. That's what I have concluded after decades of city living. Tacky can be fun, but it's not stunning or classy.

Which is fine. That's what big suburban light displays are for. I'm still ticked they canceled Zoolights, since that's the one I could walk to.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Katy said:

It’s my favorite look too, but we were searching for favorite in the over the top tacky last night. 

If you can recommend super-bright warm white window candles I’d appreciate it.  We have some but they’re so dim you can barely see anything but the bulb from the street.  This year I put a small lighted wreath in each window instead. 

I wish I knew. I bought some a few years ago but the light they put out is pretty pathetic.

Lighted wreathes sound pretty! Photo? Link? 🙂 

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

I wish I knew. I bought some a few years ago but the light they put out is pretty pathetic.

Lighted wreathes sound pretty! Photo? Link? 🙂 

I just took some wreaths I bought on clearance after Christmas a few years ago, stripped the pre-lit lights off of them, and wrapped them in battery powered lights on a timer I got at Home Depot. This is because two of the rooms on the front of the house have the youngest kids and I don’t trust either of them to not mess with with cords and plugs.  I hung one wreath over every window using a command hook. And another on the front door. I planned on doing the windows on the back of the house too, but started the project too late and couldn’t find the right sized wreaths anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1