Menu

Book a Week 2021 - BW48: Books, books, and more books

Robin M

May be an image of book and text that says 'THAT'S WHATIDO IREAD BOOKS I DRINK WINE ANDI KNOW THINGS'

Happy Sunday! As the year winds down, the best books of the year lists rise up with many books in common.  Some I may have missed and others I may have deliberately missed on purpose. Some may not have been stories that enticed me into reading more...  Yet.  Some weren't my style, which can change from year to year. Different phases, different places, different mind set, or just not in the mood. But when I am in the mood, watch out. My TBR stack gets taller, while some books grow older and wait patiently, knowing that in time, I'll get to them.

If you are like me, your book shelves may be filled to the brim with books double and triple parked.  Every so often, I'll rearrange them, pulling stories and authors forward to sit front and center, pushing others to the back until it's their time to shine again.  I really don't need to buy more books, but you know, you can never have enough.  While the sleepy, dusty tome, bides its time, the shiny penny calls your name. 

While perusing the best of the best for 2021 the past few days, and adding a few to my virtual and physical stack as well as my wish list, I thought, wait.... What about 2022? All those shiny new pennies!  Time to preorder a few before my book buying ban clicks in at the beginning of the year.  Now I know why my stacks keep having babies and those babies have babies. LOL!  I'm ever so grateful to the authors and their creativity who keep me entertained.  

And I love bringing you all along to play as well, so for your enjoyment, enlightenment, and edification, below are a few links to the best of the best for 2021 and the most anticipated for 2022.  

The Irish Times Best of fiction, biography, sport, and children's books

Foreign Policy's the best books we read in 2021

The Manual: The men share the 20 Best Books of 2021 for your next read. 

Five Books Best of.....

NPR's Book Concierge is now The Books We Love.  I got lost in this one for quite a while.

On to the new shiny pennies: 

Marie Claire's 2022 Book Releases to get excited about. 

Buzzfeed's 25 Of The Most Anticipated Books Coming Out Next Year, According To Book Lovers

We are Bookish 24 Highly-Anticipated Books Hitting Shelves in 2022

The Bibliofile January 22 Most Anticipated New Book Releases

Criminal Element's Most Anticipated Mysteries and Thrillers of 2022

Bibliolifestyle's Most Anticipated Winter 2022 Romance Novels and Historical Fiction

You're welcome!

P.S. In anticipation and preparation for next year, check out the 52 Books Blog which has been updated and includes four new challenges for 2022.  

Have fun following rabbit trails. I did.

Link to week 47

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I’m enjoying Nora Robert’s fantasy The Becoming, the 2nd novel in her Dragon Heart Legacy series.  It begins where “Awakening” left off and it took a few pages for me to remember what had happened in the first book. This will be a good series to reread when all are available. 

Still listening to Erin Morgenstern The Starless Sea and love the narrators. Two men, one narrating the backstory and another as the main character. I usually run for the book to read when I can’t listen, but not this time.  The narrators make the story. It’s like listening to music and a bard telling a tale. I’ll wait to read the book later. 

We watched Jungle Cruise with Dwayne 'the rock' Johnson and Emma Blunt. Excellent Movie.  

• Like 7

Thank you for the thread, Robin. I'm thinking of all my favorite reads of 2021, but I'll wait until it's closer to the end of the year.

I admire you for your Book Buying Ban of 2022. I know I should probably do that also, but I also know that I probably won't be able to. Truth be told, I have bought fewer books this year.

I'll look into some of your links later. 

I read High Tide - 5 Stars

9781409146858.jpg

• Like 5

I’m going to post first and am looking forward to coming back later to catch up on past threads, and link hop through @Robin M collection here🥰

I’ve never intentionally focused on the Non-fiction November challenge – seeing @Granny_Weatherwax's non fiction focus a few months back was the catalyst I needed:

Travelling to Infinity: The True Story Behind The Theory of Everything ~ Jane Hawking, narrated by Sandra Duncan (3.5 ) (13h 55m) Janes writes candidly about her life with Steven Hawking, trying to somehow balance caring for him as he physically as his physical condition deteriorates, and, somehow raise a young family.

She writes about her - initially, emotional only - affair with Jonathan and the breakdown of her marriage to Steven, understandably, from her view point. 

Favourite quote:  In an uncomprehending educational system whether State or private, the dyslexics in a class, like my own sons, would be typically be told they were slow, stupid, or lazy and would be sent to sit at the back of the class. Dyslexics are not stupid. Generally their intelligence quotient is higher than the rest of the population but their over developed brain has squeezed out some other facility, usually associated with language or short term memory. An intelligent child whose powers of communication are limited, and who is sent to sit at the back of the class, becomes a frustrated child who needs patient and considerate teaching to recover his self-esteem and express his latent intelligence.  Teaching at home for a few hours each day was the perfect arrangement ….

The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir ~ Steffanie Strathdee , Thomas Patterson , Teresa Barker – contributor, narrated by Christine Lakin , Dan Woren  (4)  (11h 31m)   I downloaded this for my husband to listen to...  he really appreciates non-fiction audiobooks about germs and diseases.  He kept talking about details from this one, so I figured I'd listen to it as well.

A true life race to find the right phages to try to beat the 'aliens' (superbug) taking over her husband’s body, Steffanie Strathdee has written a fast paced book that was hard for me to put down.  I'd never heard of phages before listening to this memoir: very happy to have that rectified.  

I shaved off one star as the story would be going at a clipping pace and then it felt like I was being distracted by filler sentences about sipping wine, coffee breaks, music play lists, meditation sessions, and new age healers/lifeguides.       Extra: a few f.bombs.

Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence ~ Anna Lembke (4) (6h 11m)  The author’s intro about a man with a masturbating addiction, his accent, and her reaction to both were an off putting beginning to the book for me.  The audiobook lost a star right there.

My favourite takeaway from the books is lesson 4 of the balance: Self-binding creates literal and metacognitive space between desire and consumption, a modern necessity in our dopamine overloaded world.  (I was amazed there was little about dealing with iphone/ipad/device addiction; or, was I asleep when that was being read?).  I’m pleased I listened to this though not sure I’ll be actively recommend it others.        Note: Content could be triggering - covers a range of addictions, and, details some of the sexual addictions in detail.

Lessons of the balance

1: the relentless pursuit of pleasure and the avoidance of pain leads to pain.

2: recovery begins with abstinence.

3: Abstinence resets the brains pathway and with it our capacity to take joy in simpler pleasures.

4: Self-binding creates literal and metacognitive space between desire and consumption, a modern necessity in our dopamine overloaded world.

5:  Medications can restore homeostasis but consider what we lose by medicating away our pain.

6:  Pressing on the pain side rests our balance to the side of pleasure.

7:  Beware of getting addicted to pain.

8: Radical honesty promotes awareness, enhances intimacy and fosters a plenty mindset.

9:  Prosocial shame affirms that we belong to the human tribe.

10: Instead of running away from the world find escape by immersing ourselves in it. (nature)

A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty ~ Joni E. Tada (3+) for the audiobook. (6h 28m)    I think this is one of those books that I would have (?) appreciated more as a physical book. 

This is my first introduction to any writing by Joni E. Tada, and now I'm wondering if she always writes using such a conversational tone? 

I appreciated hearing her talk so candidly about her struggle to deal with pain, and scriptures of encouragement (which in this setting, aren't the shady green pasture type verse).

The Resilient Farmer: Weathering the Challenges of Life and Land ~ Doug Avery (5) (p283)   This was NOT the easiest (emotionally) book to read,  I had to put it down at about half way through the book  - so much pain in those first chapters. 

The second portion details the other side of many of Doug’s personal storms, and how he climbed up out of depression.   A very good, hope and help giving, memoir, told in a kiwi-as voice. 

The personal, inner, circle of influence he keeps referring to reminds me of  Reinhold Niebuhr (1892–1971) prayer; Father, give us courage to change what must be altered, serenity to accept what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.       Extra: some curse words.  Suicides.  The out-workings of male depression. Farming accident kills young worker.

Quotations from the book

Since I started concentrating on the things that I could influence, my circle of influence has never ceased growing.  And because of my focus on achievable solutions, I have reaped the rewards.

When you’re depressed, everything looks bad.  Everbody’s wrecking this country, everything’s been done wrong.  Yet I can take you to thousands of places where nothing’s been done wrong at all.  It’s all been done quite well.  If you were to put your energy into something that would grow your circle of influence, what could you achieve.

In my old way of doing things I would look at a problem and it would double before my eyes.  If I worry now, I look for a solution straight away. 

(uses TWIGing)

When you feel an emotion like anxiety or anger, ask yourself:

Is this thought True?

Is it Worth It?

And is this thought helping me achieve my Goals? (TWIG) 

I put it into my own words and it helps me break a problem down into manageable parts.

Is the emotion real?

Will solving this make me happy or better?

What’s the best possible position that we could take?

Out of all the stuff that’s on the board in front of me. Which is the piece that I have to concentrate on now?

Even in the greatest disaster, the choice is stark: you learn or you lose.

On my journey, I’ve learned that everything that’s bad has always got something good attached to it.  As human beings we tend to focus in times of adversity on what’s gone wrong rather than what’s right.  Everything – everything – has a teaching component, a learning element.  If you don’t learn, you lose.  It only becomes failure if you don’t learn.  With this thinking there are only two possible results: either you win or you learn.  This thinking pattern helps me a lot in managing my difficult times.

When bad things happen we have a choice: to cope with them or not to cope.  Coping doesn’t mean finding solutions straight away – it might just be asking for help or taking the first step.  Where I’ve got to in the work I’ve been doing in my own top paddock is that the key to where you are now lies in where you’re heading.  Today is the day.  You can’t recreate yesterday.  The earthquake – or whatever it is that’s happened – has happened.  What now?

We need to go through our stressed, broken phase.  We need to acknowledge what’s been lost, and how much that hurts.  Then as we move out of that, we begin to accept there are things we can’t change.  But there’s always a possible course of action, a choice about what comes next.  I look for my circle of influence, and that helps me prioritise so I can move forward.

This goes beyond the personality you’re born with.  These are techniques, habits of mind, that we can all learn.

The old Doug used to carry the worries of the world, but today’s Doug thinks, Is this in my circle of influence?  Worry is the most wasteful emotion.

How the Heather Looks ~ Joan Bodger  (5) (264pgs) memoir.   I purchased this to read for our Brit-Tripping challenge and it ended up becoming a sip-read; it’s taken me two years and seven months to complete, which has been the perfect way and pace for me to go through it.

This a lovely, gentle-spirited book detailing how the Bodger family set out to discover the UK settings their favourite childhood authors, British and Scottish, either lived in and/ or placed their stories in. This book definitely lends itself to rabbit trails so having a device handy to look books and authors up was a must for me.   If you decide to read this, do make sure you keep flicking to the back of the book to read ‘The Notes on Further Reading’ compiled for each chapter there: I forgot to, until the last few chapters.

The extra study I did on the author and her family - right after I finished the book – made this a very poignant read: the book is an encapsulated glimpse into the light and love this family had right before the darkness engulfed them.

Millions Like Us: Women's Lives in the Second World War ~ Virginia Nicholson, narrated by Patience Tomlinson, Annie Aldington, Rachel Bavidge, Julie Maisey, Georgina Sutton (4) (19h 59m) Biographical/memoirs  This a very interesting, factual, gritty book!  I gave it 4 stars as I enjoyed the first person accounts more than the third person portions (which were much of the book); and, though the biographical accounts for each woman are written chronologically I did get a bit mixed up with which stories went with each character  - listening at a slightly quick pace probably didn’t help though.             Extra: Social and gender inequality. Lots of focus on the sexual activities of the war years; bed hoping/extra marital affairs, rape, “randy” G.I’s, ‘surprise’ pregnancies, and, horrific “butchering” abortions (nearly killed a few of the women). Domestic & workplace violence. Controlling parents/spouses.

New to me Fiction:

Klara and the Sun ~ Kazuo Ishiguro , narrated by Sura Siu (3-)  (10h 16m) This has the tone and feel of a Y/A dystopian/sci-fi as the AF (Artificial Friend) and the human protagonist, and her boyfriend, are teen “aged”.  

For me the book lands in between “ it was okay” and the “I liked it” star earning range: neither bad nor brilliant.  I keep hoping I’ll encounter another Ishiguro book that matches up to my appreciation of his <i>The Remains of the Day</i>.

In true Ishiguro style there is no ‘happy’ ending in Klara and the Sun, more a quiet resignation and acceptance of where the opportunities and choices in life took Josie, and, Rick, and then Klara.            Extra: Up until about half way through the book there was no cursing or swearing then the author injects a round of f-bombing and cursing, and continues to scatter them out through much of the remainder of the book (near impossible to skip on audio). 

Mystery Mile: Albert Campion Bk2 ~ Margery Allingham, narrated by Francis Matthews (4)  (8h)  I think this is one of the more interesting Campion mysteries, plenty of red herrings and bad guys.  After the case is tied up Margery Allingham gives the book a rather abstract ending,   perhaps as encouragement to read the next mystery?

Edited by tuesdayschild
Tried to trim off some of the length.
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Negin said:

Thank you for the thread, Robin. I'm thinking of all my favorite reads of 2021, but I'll wait until it's closer to the end of the year.

I admire you for your Book Buying Ban of 2022. I know I should probably do that also, but I also know that I probably won't be able to. Truth be told, I have bought fewer books this year.

I'll look into some of your links later. 

I read High Tide - 5 Stars

9781409146858.jpg

I haven't read anything by Veronica Henry. Love the cover and will check her out.   The first time I did a buying ban, I lasted all of one month. Each year I get a bit further, especially if I stick to physical books.  With the Kindle, it's very tempting to add the next thing.  Love the Ikea meme.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tuesdayschild said:

Travelling to Infinity: The True Story Behind The Theory of Everything ~ Jane Hawking, narrated by Sandra Duncan (3.5 ) (13h 55m) Janes writes candidly about her life with Steven Hawking, trying to somehow balance caring for him as he physically as his physical condition deteriorates, and, somehow raise a young family.

She writes about her - initially, emotional only - affair with Jonathan and the breakdown of her marriage to Steven, understandably, from her view point. 

Sounds like an interesting read as I don't know much about Hawking beyond what seen in the news.  Added it to my wishlist.

The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir ~ Steffanie Strathdee , Thomas Patterson , Teresa Barker – contributor, narrated by Christine Lakin , Dan Woren

Sounds like one my hubby would enjoy. 

The Resilient Farmer: Weathering the Challenges of Life and Land ~ Doug Avery

Love all the quotes and questions, and pretty much questions I ask hubby when he's railing about this or that.  How are you personally affected and what can you personally control.   

We need to go through our stressed, broken phase.  We need to acknowledge what’s been lost, and how much that hurts.  Then as we move out of that, we begin to accept there are things we can’t change.  But there’s always a possible course of action, a choice about what comes next.  I look for my circle of influence, and that helps me prioritise so I can move forward.

Much of it also sounds close to how to deal with grief as well.

How the Heather Looks ~ Joan Bodger  (5) (264pgs) memoir.   I purchased this to read for our Brit-Tripping challenge and it ended up becoming a sip-read; it’s taken me two years and seven months to complete, which has been the perfect way and pace for me to go through it.

Sounds like a wonderful book and added to my wishlist.

Klara and the Sun ~ Kazuo Ishiguro , narrated by Sura Siu (3-)  (10h 16m) This has the tone and feel of a Y/A dystopian/sci-fi as the AF (Artificial Friend) and the human protagonist, and her boyfriend, are teen “aged”.  

Dang, no happy ending, I don't like books without a happy or satisfying ending. It's been on my wish list and I've been very tempted to get it several times but just haven't.  Will have to think about it now. 

• Like 4

I've only finished one book recently, The Children of Blood and Bone, and it was an audiobook. It was better than I thought. I really like the narrator. I might have to download the second book and listen to it as well. 

I began setting up my new journal for 2022 and will be adding in the reading challenges and Bingo as soon as I can.  the only things I know for sure that be on there are:

1- Haruki Murakami (thanks to this thread)

2- One of David Bowie's top 100 books

3- Charles Dickens novel

4- Terry Pratchett novel

I'll also participate in my library's January reading program and the Summer reading program.

I currently have 7 books started but I've been struggling to just sit and read. I've been creating a few new journals for gifts, making Christmas cards, taking continuing education credits for tennis, and working on court. I am happy to be busy so audiobooks it is.

• Like 6

Your links are dangerously alluring, @Robin M; I just spent quite some time with Five Books Best of.....!

Some bookish links from Reddit ~

Gift idea for my nana who told me “she always gifts people books, but no one ever gifts her books”

https://www.reddit.com/r/booksuggestions/comments/qd0k6x/gift_idea_for_my_nana_who_told_me_she_always/

What is a book you absolutely love, but have not met anyone who has read it? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/pou433/what_is_a_book_you_absolutely_love_but_have_not/

Baby girl on the way. Need to build a library.

https://www.reddit.com/r/booksuggestions/comments/qb15ff/baby_girl_on_the_way_need_to_build_a_library/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

This a lovely, gentle-spirited book detailing how the Bodger family set out to discover the UK settings their favourite childhood authors, British and Scottish, either lived in and/ or placed their stories in. This book definitely lends itself to rabbit trails so having a device handy to look books and authors up was a must for me.   If you decide to read this, do make sure you keep flicking to the back of the book to read ‘The Notes on Further Reading’ compiled for each chapter there: I forgot to, until the last few chapters.

The extra study I did on the author and her family - right after I finished the book – made this a very poignant read: the book is an encapsulated glimpse into the light and love this family had right before the darkness engulfed them.

I enjoyed How the Heather Looks also.  I spent quite awhile on an after study too.  It was as you said poignant.

• Like 4

I read several Christmas themed books this week including Kelley Armstrong’s latest in the Thorne Manor series and Donna Andrews annual Christmas book.  Both of those were excellent btw.  I found Tolkien’s Letters from Father Christmas to be beautiful in every way.

After finishing my relisten to Caliban’s War (#2 in the Expanse series) I started Murder for Christmas by Francis Duncan https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27265905-murder-for-christmas which is a classic British cozy that has recently been republished.  So far it lives up to my really high expectations!  I am only an hour in so.......lol

I am working hard to finish a few of my challenges.  My book chains are almost done.  I am currently reading The Vanishing Box by Elly Griffiths in honor of book chain reading needs. It’s actually really good, I always forget this series set in post WW2 Brighton featuring a magician who worked as a spy at one time.  I need to read the rest.......maybe that should be a goal for next year!  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37552401-the-vanishing-box

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 6

Hello everyone! Thank you for the thread, Robin. 😊 

Negin, High Tide sounds like my kind of book - I'll be looking for it at my library. 

Mum, I just started a Christmas murder-themed book, too! The Santa Klaus Murder is what I have on my nightstand and so far, so good. 

Looking forward to going through the links. I know I'll find some great reads! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mothersweets said:

Hello everyone! Thank you for the thread, Robin. 😊 

Negin, High Tide sounds like my kind of book - I'll be looking for it at my library. 

Mum, I just started a Christmas murder-themed book, too! The Santa Klaus Murder is what I have on my nightstand and so far, so good. 

Looking forward to going through the links. I know I'll find some great reads! 

The Santa Klaus Murder looks really fun.  I have a few more newly published on hold so we will see if they come before Christmas. 

I worked on updating my challenges last night and have actually completed more of my 10’s than I thought.  I have the books need to finish my book chains ready to go.  I may manage to finish this year with more challenges done than I expected.  I have simply read what I wanted for most of the year with the monthly librarian challenge being the only one I focused on at all.

• Like 6

Last night I read Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) by Laurence Dahners. Though it strains credulity in a number of ways, I did enjoy it. Unfortunately, none of my libraries carries the sixteen book series.

"Quicker is the first book in series of optimistic near future SciFi/Thrillers. Its young heroine Ell Donsaii has a nerve mutation that’s made her reaction times faster than a normal human’s and turned her into an athletic phenom. With a faster, more efficient brain she’s a math prodigy who’s working on her own theory of quantum mechanics.

Shy and concerned about her social skills, yet well loved by those around her, she’s recruited to the US gymnastic team. This puts her at the center of a terrorist plot at the Olympics.

Those terrorists find themselves outclassed."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I finished Nora Robert’s The Becoming,  the 2nd installment of the Dragon Heart Legacy. Picks up where the first book ended with Marco latching onto Breen’s hand as she jumped through the gate in Ireland. His fascination with Talamha and Breen’s world of magic and dragons enlivens the story and love the give and take between them. Watching the relationship between Breen and Keagan build as she learns to embrace her magic, her strengths and weaknesses before they have to battle the big bad.

Not sure what I’m going to read next. Have to peruse the stacks.  In the meantime I’ve bought way too many books.  But I did find my next Haruki Murakimi read for January – Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.  And figured out where I left off with Qui Xiaolong’s Inspector Chen and got Hold Your Breath, China.

At some point I'm going to do a reread of Jayne Castles Harmony's Ghost Hunter series and fill in the books I haven't read yet. Guild Boss # 15 in the Harmony series just came out.  Hmm. I should probably read that one.  LOL!

Also discovered a bunch of broken links on the perpetual challenges on the blog so guess what I spent the day doing. Yep.  Which of course is what lead to the book buying binge while I was at it.  🙃

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Not sure what I’m going to read next. Have to peruse the stacks.  In the meantime I’ve bought way too many books.  But I did find my next Haruki Murakimi read for January – Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.  And figured out where I left off with Qui Xiaolong’s Inspector Chen and got Hold Your Breath, China.

Now I am torn regarding my 2022 Murakami.....I have been re reading 1Q84 for a couple of years in a very slow fashion for a couple of years in January as well as something of his that is new to me.  This year I was planning to get 1Q84 completed and skip the other book from his collection but I really only seem to have one left that I am interested in, Hardboiled Wonderland.  I may go ahead and start the year off with that one.  I enjoyed Colorless Tsukuru btw

• Like 5

I finished White Trash Warlock (The Adam Binder Novels Book 1) by David R. Slayton which I quite enjoyed. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. (Some language and violence but no other adult content.)

"Not all magicians go to schools of magic.

Adam Binder has the Sight. It’s a power that runs in his bloodline: the ability to see beyond this world and into another, a realm of magic populated by elves, gnomes, and spirits of every kind. But for much of Adam’s life, that power has been a curse, hindering friendships, worrying his backwoods family, and fueling his abusive father’s rage.

Years after his brother, Bobby, had him committed to a psych ward, Adam is ready to come to grips with who he is, to live his life on his terms, to find love, and maybe even use his magic to do some good. Hoping to track down his missing father, Adam follows a trail of cursed artifacts to Denver, only to discover that an ancient and horrifying spirit has taken possession of Bobby’s wife.

It isn’t long before Adam becomes the spirit’s next target. To survive the confrontation, save his sister-in-law, and learn the truth about his father, Adam will have to risk bargaining with very dangerous beings … including his first love."

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 4

Reread the Ilona Andrews books (third time this year?) and then read Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, which is about the last woman executed in Iceland, in 1823. It was interesting, moved along quickly, and had some lovely writing. Obviously no happy ending though! 

I have two thick non-fiction books sitting there to be read, one about regenerative agriculture and another about local indigenous history. I prefer not to dip into books like that but read big chunks at a time so not sure when I will get to that, this being a rather busy month. 

• Like 5

Ilona Andrews is clearly in the air, @bookbard.

Today I read the novella Silver Shark (The World of Kinsmen Book 2) by Ilona AndrewsIt was a quick and enjoyable read.

"Family is everything. Talent is power. And revenge is sweet.

In a distant, future world Kinsmen—small powerful groups of genetically and technologically advanced families—control vast financial empires. They are their own country, their own rulers, and their only limits are other Kinsmen. The struggle for power is a bloody, full-contact sport: in business, on the battlefield...and sometimes in the bedroom.
Claire Shannon is a killer…and her weapon is her mind.

Born on a planet torn by war for over 300 years, Claire is a soldier: a psycher, with the ability to read, control, and destroy the minds of enemy psychers and to infiltrate the biological network where they battle to death.

When Claire’s faction loses the war, she barely escapes extermination from both sides, as her talent brands her as too dangerous to society. By so-deeply burying her ability that she avoids detection, Claire is instead deported to Rada as a refugee, where she must find work to remain. She finds a job as personal assistant to Venturo Escana, a premiere kinsman; one of Rada’s most wealthy entrepreneurs—and most powerful psychers.

She thought she had left war behind, but now she must hide her skills and her growing feelings from Venturo…and this battle might just cost her everything…"

Last night I read the novella The Best Gift by Eli Easton which I quite enjoyed.

"With help from a Christmas miracle, two bruised hearts find joy again.

Greg Cabot is the third generation to run Cabot’s Christmas Wonderland and tree farm in rural Vermont. But this year will be his last. Since the death of his son, Sam, in Afghanistan, Greg no longer has the heart to run a business based on holiday cheer. When he picks up a hitchhiking soldier on a snowy night, he finds the help he needs to get his farm through the holidays—and maybe much more.

Sergeant Robbie Sparks doesn’t have much to be thankful for this holiday season. Badly wounded in Afghanistan, he’s spent most of the past year in recovery and was discharged after ten years of service. When fate lands him at Cabot’s tree farm, he feels like he’s fallen into a snow globe reality. Friendly people, gorgeous trees, lots of Christmas kitsch… and Greg Cabot.

Greg believes he’s too heartbroken for romance, but those we love never truly leave us. A little nudge from heaven may help build a bridge for these two men trying to heal. If only they are willing to take that first step."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On 11/28/2021 at 12:08 AM, Robin M said:

Still listening to Erin Morgenstern The Starless Sea and love the narrators. Two men, one narrating the backstory and another as the main character. I usually run for the book to read when I can’t listen, but not this time.  The narrators make the story. It’s like listening to music and a bard telling a tale. I’ll wait to read the book later. 

Yes, quoting myself. So had a couple days off and don't listen to audiobook except in the car, so picked up where left off in the book and now can't put it down.  😁

• Like 4

Last year I enjoyed reading this book My Ideal Bookshelf by Thessaly La Force and Jane Mount, and it led to me posting this thread -- What would be on your 'Ideal Bookshelf'?

So, I was quite interested to see that Jane Mount had collaborated on a new book, Bibliophile: Diverse Spines by Jamise Harper and Jane Mount, which I finished last night. I enjoyed it and would recommend reading this in paper format to best enjoy the art.

"Jamise Harper (founder of the Diverse Spines book community) and Jane Mount (author of Bibliophile) have come together to create Bibliophile: Diverse Spines, a richly illustrated and vastly inclusive collection that uplift and celebrate the works of underrepresented authors."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On the personal bookish news front, I have an interesting dilemma. I received an Amazon Prime package this morning. It contains a book (that I actually read and enjoyed) which I did not order. The box contains no gift slip, so this is a mystery. Has anyone here ever experienced something similar? Is there a way of learning the sender by contacting Amazon?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kareni said:

On the personal bookish news front, I have an interesting dilemma. I received an Amazon Prime package this morning. It contains a book (that I actually read and enjoyed) which I did not order. The box contains no gift slip, so this is a mystery. Has anyone here ever experienced something similar? Is there a way of learning the sender by contacting Amazon?

Regards,

Kareni

Amazon isn't super available in these situations, but with some digging and a lot of phone patience it is possible to contact them. Is there a packing slip with an order number? They should be able to look that up, although I'm not sure how much they can share. They will, at least, tell you what they want you to do with the book. Such a mystery!

ETA Maybe some shipping clerk at the warehouse saw the book and thought you might like it! 😄

Edited by SusanC
adding sweet or creepy theory
  • Like 3

A bit of web browsing while eating lunch at work. 

16 remarkable stories by jewish authors -   Chabon's book is in my stacks, as well as Wecker's Hidden Palace which is a sequel to Golem and the Jinni 

Buzzfeed's 25 Book Tweets So Hilarious, They Went Viral In 2021 as well as 21 Books that are so good, people can literally not put them down.  Adding more books to my wishlist.  Harry Potter's pretty much a given.  James and I are currently doing a movie rewatch and just finished the Chamber of Secrets. I read Shatter Me and yes, it is very good. Need to finish the series. 

Jo Walton’s Reading List: November 2021.  I almost made What is Jo Walton Reading a bingo category but alas I didn't.  I'm sure it will pop up somewhere during the next year as a mini challenge. 

Time to get back to work. We think John has the flu, but made him get tested for covid yesterday. Won’t receive results until Monday. Hoping and praying he doesn’t have it, otherwise we’ll have to shut down next week while the rest of us get tested. Fingers, toes, and everything else crossed.  Can you say stressed?

😘

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Maybe some shipping clerk at the warehouse saw the book and thought you might like it! 😄

I like that idea!

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Is there a packing slip with an order number?

Sadly, no. The book was alone in the box. I shall continue to ponder.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Back after a month in nowhere-land...well, working on a market research report that's almost done. DH found a job and starts mid-December. I guess this 2.5 month hiatus balances out the 10 months of 2020 that he spent unemployed. LOL He'll be working from home so we can continue our upstairs-downstairs employment pattern while the youngest finishes her 2 years at community college and figures out what's next.

I guess I inadvertently met the nonfiction November challenge, as I read Tracy Kidder's Mountains Beyond Mountains. I thought it was about Tibet, but it's actually about medicine in central Haiti and how to treat those below the poverty line there and how one man's persistence led to better treatment for both drug-resistant TB and HIV AIDS, particularly to forcing down the costs of drugs so treatment could be offered worldwide. I was impressed with Paul Farmer (focus of the story) and his ability to multi-task while [apparently] never sleeping and moving seamlessly from Boston hospital to Haitian backwoods, Peruvian slums, and Russian prisons, treating the poorest and most at-risk populations.

I also read Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoy, which takes place on the coast of Ireland and involves a resistant librarian in search of independence and a library's ability to spark community. This one was just ok.

And I also want to mention The Personal Library by Marie Benedict, which is about the woman who served as JP Getty's personal collection library/acquisitions expert in the early 1900s (revolutionary in itself) and who was also a  colored woman passing as white. She had to give up so much, but she gained a great deal too. I just kept on reading this one...very good. And I learned what "incunabulum" means.

Love reading these posts. I learn from all your book adventures!!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

Back after a month in nowhere-land...well, working on a market research report that's almost done. DH found a job and starts mid-December....

It's nice to see you again! Yay for your husband's new position and also that your report is nearing completion.

6 minutes ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

And I learned what "incunabulum" means.

Do tell.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Thanks for good thoughts and prayers. We got the results this morning and it's negative. Yeah!  John is feeling a little better. You know he's sick when James can talk him into watching endless Spiderman cartoons. 

Finished a Starless Sea, a story within a story within a story about a story. Endless time, myths, fables, the moon, fate, life, love, adventures, bees, hearts, swords, acolytes, guardians, doors, doors, and more doors. Well written, captures your imagination, with plenty of sensory detail to keep both your mind and your senses engaged. Beautiful story and totally enjoyed it. One of those books I'll enjoy reading again

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

And I also want to mention The Personal Library by Marie Benedict, which is about the woman who served as JP Getty's personal collection library/acquisitions expert in the early 1900s (revolutionary in itself) and who was also a  colored woman passing as white. She had to give up so much, but she gained a great deal too. I just kept on reading this one...very good. And I learned what "incunabulum" means.

Happy Dance! Glad to hear your research project is almost done and hubby got the job.   Personal Library keeps popping up in most of the book sites. Thanks for the review. I'll have to add it to my wishlist. 

• Like 2