Menu

Non traditional high school

Basically, I don’t want to homeschool anymore.  My daughter is in 8th grade now.  Yet, crowded public schools are a no go for my daughter who has what I call a trauma brain due to adoption as a toddler from China.  Her stress level goes through the roof in crowded classrooms.  We are looking into a small private school that meets 3 times a week, but even then, I’m not sure it will work.

In the meantime, here is the dilemma.  She is not “college path” academics.  Anything related to following multi-step directions, writing, problem solving, and math is not great for her. Her reading level is very good.  She does take co-op type classes and does ok, but I am having to organize her quite a bit.  I cannot see her completing traditional -college prep type course work (ie. foreign language, advanced math past algebra, any high school sciences like chemistry or physics, etc.).  Right now, it looks as if I may have her do Pre-algebra again next year as she is really not doing great with it right now- even doing it half speed and year round.  I do not see her going to college unless it’s along an artistic bent.  

It sounds like I’m giving up academically with her early.  Maybe so.  Her frustration level with anything beyond reading and reading comprehension requires so much step by step instruction on my part.  She is not learning disabled, but her test scores show anything related to problem solving/logic/following direction is less than the 10th percentile.  

has anyone done a non traditional school route with their high schooler?  Something less academic and more “work force” ready or trade type school?  

Edited by bethben

I haven’t done that but just want to throw out a suggestion. If you don’t mind having her at hoke next year, what about looking into mostly de schooling? Is there something she is particularly interested in, in the arts field- take the year and explore that. I will add in lots of reading and watching documentaries or movies in science and history. Take a complete break from math and then see how the year goes. Add lots of fieldtrips and career explorations if you are able to.

I will suggest requiring an output everyday maybe it is something in the arts or having a discussion of what she had watched. After the year, if you feel like continuing with the hybrid school, maybe scale it back a bit so that it’s not overwhelming for her. 

all the very best in whatever you decide. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bethben said:

Basically, I don’t want to homeschool anymore.  My daughter is in 8th grade now.  Yet, crowded public schools are a no go for my daughter who has what I call a trauma brain due to adoption as a toddler from China.  Her stress level goes through the roof in crowded classrooms.  We are looking into a small private school that meets 3 times a week, but even then, I’m not sure it will work.

In the meantime, here is the dilemma.  She is not “college path” academics.  Anything related to following multi-step directions, writing, problem solving, and math is not great for her. Her reading level is very good.  She does take co-op type classes and does ok, but I am having to organize her quite a bit.  I cannot see her completing traditional -college prep type course work (ie. foreign language, advanced math past algebra, any high school sciences like chemistry or physics, etc.).  Right now, it looks as if I may have her do Pre-algebra again next year as she is really not doing great with it right now- even doing it half speed and year round.  I do not see her going to college unless it’s along an artistic bent.  

It sounds like I’m giving up academically with her early.  Maybe so.  Her frustration level with anything beyond reading and reading comprehension requires so much step by step instruction on my part.  She is not learning disabled, but her test scores show anything related to problem solving/logic/following direction is less than the 10th percentile.  

has anyone done a non traditional school route with their high schooler?  Something less academic and more “work force” ready or trade type school?  

What are her current thoughts about post-high school plans? Does she have something she is interested in pursuing?

12 minutes ago, NittanyJen said:

What are her current thoughts about post-high school plans? Does she have something she is interested in pursuing?

She really has none.  She wants to draw for Disney.  She's a better than your average kid artist, but not exceptional.  She also hates computers and that is the direction art is going with animation.  She still thinks very much like a 10/12 year old, so there is a maturity issue due to the adoption.  She can be a very compassionate person and I could see her working with people who are marginalized - not sure what type of career that would lead to.

So far, I am preparing my kids for work and/or trade school because that's just who they are. Mostly that means doing lighter or interest-led sciences, and non-traditional courses for math after geometry, but generally only for 11th and 12th grades, when we're pretty sure which direction they're headed. I also try to tailor their schooling to their strengths and interests.

If your daughter has a goal in mind for her future, that would help steer things in a direction, but I understand having kids who don't know what they want. Some of mine are like that.

12 hours ago, bethben said:

She can be a very compassionate person and I could see her working with people who are marginalized - not sure what type of career that would lead to.

maybe art and play therapy? ETA: It looks like it needs a Masters. Hmm.

Edited by cintinative

You might want to check out Middle College programs. These are usually on community college campuses, and are a small cohort of kids who are doing high school work, usually using a self-paced program with teacher support and then starting college classes that lead to a 2 year degree/diploma. They're focused on drop out prevention more than for high achievers. At least at the CC campus here, a 2 year certificate in graphic design would be an option. It is my experience that colleges often do a better job of supporting kids in a way that leads to eventual independence than high schools do. 

• Like 1

Are there any options for vo-tech type classes for high school in your area?  My most challenging 🙂 child took 1/2 day classes at a local tech high school (while doing 1/2 days at home with me) during his last two years of high school and it was a life saver for both of us.  The classes were much smaller than a normal high school, and the teachers were fabulous in knowing how to work with kids. 

Something like JobCorps may be an option as well.  https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/jobcorps

Textbooks from AGS or Power Basics may be a good fit if you do end up teaching at home.  https://www.wiesereducational.com/

Just a bonus...for my challenging ones, I have found that their "soft skills" of people interaction have made/are making more of a difference than whether or not they mastered quadratic equations.  Her compassion for others may take her very far.

And just another thought...in my area, both the technical high school and the local CC have an early childhood education program.  Graduates come out with certification and are in high demand for local preschools, headstart, public school K programs, etc.  Her compassion and creativity might fit with that field. 

Hugs to you, mama. 

• Like 1

We do have programs for community college certification for non academic careers like the one mentioned above.  My 21 year old mentioned getting her certified in American Sign Language and it makes a lot of sense.  I can easily see her doing one of these programs, but I just don’t know how to tailor a high school program that will get her to the point of being able to pass the basic academic skills in order to get admitted.  Also, I have never even thought about a non-academic/ non college prep homeschool coursework so I feel like I’m walking blind here.

Edited by bethben

On 11/22/2021 at 2:25 PM, bethben said:

Has she had language testing in recent years with testing appropriate to a teen? My kids both have very, very narrow but deep language issues that show up in problem-solving when language is involved (and mostly only when language is involved).

Mindwing Concepts has materials that can help with this--their Critical Thinking Triangle stuff is geared toward using the big picture to problem-solve.

On 11/22/2021 at 7:46 PM, Lucy the Valiant said:

Check out BlueCollarHomeschool.com - some pretty awesome things going on out there!

I follow them on FB--they have some great resources.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:34 AM, Dmmetler said:

You might want to check out Middle College programs. These are usually on community college campuses, and are a small cohort of kids who are doing high school work, usually using a self-paced program with teacher support and then starting college classes that lead to a 2 year degree/diploma. They're focused on drop out prevention more than for high achievers. At least at the CC campus here, a 2 year certificate in graphic design would be an option. It is my experience that colleges often do a better job of supporting kids in a way that leads to eventual independence than high schools do. 

Our local vocational schools offers something like this and bridge to community college and regular college programs. They have a LOT to offer, including things in healthcare like phlebotomy. If she likes working with people, she might really do well with some kind of medical assisting/phlebotomy. If she's into fitness, maybe being a personal trainer. 

On 11/23/2021 at 9:56 AM, Zoo Keeper said:

Textbooks from AGS or Power Basics may be a good fit if you do end up teaching at home.  https://www.wiesereducational.com/

I think this might help with this:

On 11/23/2021 at 10:59 AM, bethben said:

I just don’t know how to tailor a high school program that will get her to the point of being able to pass the basic academic skills in order to get admitted.

• Like 1

I should've noted that one of my kids attends the local vocational school part-time (academics at home), and he's THRIVING. He's living the dream, and his teachers love him. He'll come out with great certifications and probably job offers in a high demand field (building trades). His choice of classes includes stints in the other trades in addition to his main carpentry class; today he was driving heavy equipment. 

Oh, and cosmetology can be artsy with people skills--it's far, far less expensive to do this through a vocational high school than afterward. It saves tons of money to do it as a high school student in our state (I think thousands). 

I have an artsy friend that became a pastry chef. 

There are lots of ways to skin the cat. 

The nice thing about a vocational high school is that they tend to offer the academics and academic support for you if you want them to. You just need to get through 9th and 10th grades up to that point as most are for juniors and seniors.

• Like 3