Menu

~~~ November Frugalistas 2021 ~~~

mommyoffive

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Dh and I had the Christmas talk.  I think we have a good idea of the main gift for 4 of our 6 kids.  The other 2 are a bit harder. So, now I am in 'find it used' mode.  Waiting to confirm pickup on a used drawing tablet for $30 instead of the $80 new price tag. Also, waiting to hear what the shipping will be on a bunch of Mario playsets someone is selling on facebook.  Highest I'll spend is $40 total on this gift so I'm hoping shipping isn't too bad.  Also, I should be picking up a free toddler bed later today.  Those 3 things will knock out the big gifts for 3 of my kids. 

The 4th kid wants a $99 Calico Critters set.  I have been looking for it used for months with no luck.  So, I'm hoping it'll go on sale sometime this month, doubtful.  But it is the only thing she wants and she has wanted it ALL year so we decided she is absolutely getting it.  It shouldn't be an issue since we're finding the other kids' stuff for less. We'll see

Awesome knocking off Christmas shopping.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Got the Lego order today!  Crazy fast.  I am so excited about this.  Why???  I don't play or build Lego.  I kind of want to break it out now, but my idea is the day after Thanksgiving when we watch the movie.  

man I am so jealous!  I contemplated selling my treehouse to buy the home alone one.  But I want my treehouse too.  Really I just want to be independently wealthy so I can buy all the neat ones I love so much. 🙂

• Like 4

7 hours ago, hjffkj said:

man I am so jealous!  I contemplated selling my treehouse to buy the home alone one.  But I want my treehouse too.  Really I just want to be independently wealthy so I can buy all the neat ones I love so much. 🙂

I know right?  I don't even like to build.  I don't think I ever had, but man are they cute and awesome.  I want a lot of the sets.  I want a library or office with built in shelves and then just have tons of Lego sets the kids have built.   I am mad at myself for not ordering the 3 other holiday houses that I wanted.  Ugh.  You snooze you lose.  

• Like 1

I now receive sick and vacation pay at work. I also have to pay into the pension program - which normally I would think would be awesome, but I really don't plan on being here for 8 years (the vesting period), but they'll give me back my money if I don't make 8 years. So, I'm ok with it. My boss told me I could work an extra hour or two to make up for the decrease in pay. Talked with DH about the drop in pay (4.5%) and decided I'll work 6 hours on Monday to make up for it rather than 4. It gives me a paid lunch, so I'm working 1 1/2 hours more for 2 hours pay that day. Middle DD's German class is 2 pm on Monday, so we never plan anything for Monday afternoon. So, all's well. 

Stopped putting money aside for the big loan right now, and we'll focus on the medical and college bills for the next couple of months. My brother (unemployed) also needs a loan. I think I can just let the fund sit there until January/February and use what we would've added and come out ok. 

Picked up a couple more Christmas gifts - closing in on the end!

• Like 5

Went to college with dh. Took girls to nature center and window shopping at the mall (free). Got a snack of fries and shared a milk tea. 

I only have 1 more meal to do for my menu- will probably just do some sort of pasta that night. Now, to finish my list for shopping tonight.

Dh did get a parking sticker for the van for college, so we'll save some there.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, hjffkj said:

A friend of mine is an Amazon vine reviewer and she gets more Lego sets than her kids can happily put together. It’s almost a chore now . . . almost. 

Went shopping last night at Dollar Tree, Walmart, and Aldi.

There were a lot of marked down Lego at Walmart.

Dollar Tree got some more books for odd for Christmas and odds and ends.

Aldi was the big score.  I had read on their site that they were starting advent calendars yesterday.  But for their popular ones you had to line up at the store 1 hour before to get them.  Well that wasn't going to work as I do it when my kids are in dance and I didn't go over there until almost 8pm.  But they had their popular Beer and Wine Advent calendars just on the shelves.  I got Dh 2 of them.   Normally you can't get them.  I was worried that maybe it wasn't going to be good beer, but the beer is really good.  Now I wish I would have bought some more, but I was worried it might not be good.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What other sets do you want right now?

I'd love the typewriter, the bird of paradise , the nintendo system,  and the Seinfeld one. There are a few others I'd be excited to get like Baracuta Bay , world map, and come of the big city buildings but I don't think I'd seek them out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I'd love the typewriter, the bird of paradise , the nintendo system,  and the Seinfeld one. There are a few others I'd be excited to get like Baracuta Bay , world map, and come of the big city buildings but I don't think I'd seek them out.  

I think the typewriter is so cool! And I love the world map too.  Seinfeld super awesome.  They are striking the cord right hitting all these things that were big from our old school years.  Nintendo!  Neat even though I wasn't into games growing up.   Did you get any of the Friends sets?

Are your kids wanting any sets this year? 

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

I think the typewriter is so cool! And I love the world map too.  Seinfeld super awesome.  They are striking the cord right hitting all these things that were big from our old school years.  Nintendo!  Neat even though I wasn't into games growing up.   Did you get any of the Friends sets?

Are your kids wanting any sets this year? 

Striking a cord is right!   I have no interest in the Friends sets, while I have seen the show it isn't something I loved or will ever rewatch. 

I was just talking with my older two yesterday. DD wants the bookstore and DS want the Star Wars AT-AT and one of the cars not sure which.  All the kids think the Home Alone one is amazing and would love it too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

Striking a cord is right!   I have no interest in the Friends sets, while I have seen the show it isn't something I loved or will ever rewatch. 

I was just talking with my older two yesterday. DD wants the bookstore and DS want the Star Wars AT-AT and one of the cars not sure which.  All the kids think the Home Alone one is amazing and would love it too. 

Lego sure is great at thinking of new sets that people will want.  I love Friends.  I think I have been watching it since college.  Dh and I watch it every night.  We got the kids a bunch of sets again this year.  I feel like it is one of the toys that actually gets use all year vs something they will play with for a bit and then just tossed aside.  

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Lego sure is great at thinking of new sets that people will want.  I love Friends.  I think I have been watching it since college.  Dh and I watch it every night.  We got the kids a bunch of sets again this year.  I feel like it is one of the toys that actually gets use all year vs something they will play with for a bit and then just tossed aside.  

I feel the way about Seinfeld that many people feel about Friends.  It is a show dh and I can watch over and over again.  We quote it often, in fact as I was typing that he quoted it to my dd with no knowledge that I was typing this.  

What sets did you get for your kids?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

I feel the way about Seinfeld that many people feel about Friends.  It is a show dh and I can watch over and over again.  We quote it often, in fact as I was typing that he quoted it to my dd with no knowledge that I was typing this.  

What sets did you get for your kids?

So far

If I remember them

Friends central perk set for odd

Nutcracker ones for all of them 

Lego medieval castle  got one each for 3 of them

Lego Heartlake City Grand Hotel

Lego Creator Family caravan

Lego Home Alone house

I am sure we are going to get more, just haven't done it yet.   

• Like 1

Does anyone use the recipes from budgetbytes to save money on food?  I have found some of our favorite meals on that site over the years.  This week all of my meals are from the site and no one has complained once!  I do find that I do have to tweak many of the recipes a bit to add more flavor or more veggies but overall they are a great base for cheap and healthy meals.

It only crossed my mind to ask because I'm currently looking on there for ideas of meals tonight. I have to switch up our menu a bit because the heater is broken so it is colder in here than I would like so I've been making filling warm meals all week. Dh is working on the heater right now.  It always seems to have an issue the first time we turn it on each fall so I doubt we'll need to call anyone.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Does anyone use the recipes from budgetbytes to save money on food?  I have found some of our favorite meals on that site over the years.  This week all of my meals are from the site and no one has complained once!  I do find that I do have to tweak many of the recipes a bit to add more flavor or more veggies but overall they are a great base for cheap and healthy meals.

It only crossed my mind to ask because I'm currently looking on there for ideas of meals tonight. I have to switch up our menu a bit because the heater is broken so it is colder in here than I would like so I've been making filling warm meals all week. Dh is working on the heater right now.  It always seems to have an issue the first time we turn it on each fall so I doubt we'll need to call anyone.

Oh man.  I hope it isn't a real big issue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh man.  I hope it isn't a real big issue.

Me too.  It shouldn't be.  This literally happens every year.  It does turn on but then shuts off pretty quickly.  Some years it is the oil line needs to be flushed or something. Other years the filter just needs a good cleaning.  We'll see.  He's going down the troubleshooting list

• Like 1

We resold the couch at a 120% profit! So that money will go into the new couch fund (possibly waiting until we can get exactly what we want). I'll keep watching CL, though, because our van plus our location adds a lot of value to couches bought from other parts of the city. It'd be funny to finance a couch via couch flipping. (Probably won't do this, but it would be funny and DH suggested it.)

Emily

• Like 5

1 minute ago, EmilyGF said:

We resold the couch at a 120% profit! So that money will go into the new couch fund (possibly waiting until we can get exactly what we want). I'll keep watching CL, though, because our van plus our location adds a lot of value to couches bought from other parts of the city. It'd be funny to finance a couch via couch flipping. (Probably won't do this, but it would be funny and DH suggested it.)

Emily

Man it took me a few times to figure that out.  Slow day here!  🙂

I have read of people who do that just flip furniture.  It is what people on Ebay do all the time.  Buy something and sell it for more. 

• Like 1

Spent $30 today at a thrift store getting my youngest winter clothing. I got 6 outfits for her, gloves for whoever they fit, and a warm shirt for me. I'm going to have to take stock of what some of my boys need and go back next week because they had tons of great clothing

• Like 6

*HOT* $5 off any $20 Book Purchase from Amazon!! | Money Saving Mom®

WooHoo! For the first time in two years, Amazon has *finally* brought back their amazing book deal! YAY!

For a limited time, you can get $5 off a $20 printed book purchase on Amazon. The discount comes off automatically at checkout and there are over 1000 items to choose from, including many popular titles!

• Like 4

Walgreens Free 8×10 Photo Print

Through November 7th, you can get a free 8×10 photo print at Walgreens with free in-store pickup.

Just upload your picture on the Walgreens website or mobile app, go to checkout, use coupon code FALLSMILES, and choose in-store pickup. Your total should be $0.00!

Please note that this may only work in the mobile app.

• Like 3

Did not go grocery shopping so moved menu around for what we had on hand. Salmon, garlic butter parmesan rice, and salad. It was a very yummy dinner.

Bought a half price gift cert for MIL for part of her Christmas. Am going to try and get another one today for a place we like to eat. 

Need to double check my grocery list and pantry but might just wait until Saturday to go shopping.

• Like 5

Snagged a couple of half-price certificates- date night! (you pay $10 and they are worth $20) We'll do take out so I can use both at once and skip the tip. There is a new show coming on Amazon that dh is dying to see, so it will be a very nice date at home. 

Bought the girls some fast food for dinner. They were supposed to go to a friend's party they'd been looking forward to for ages but with dd2 sick they couldn't go. I felt sooo very bad. Dd3 just cried and cried. She hasn't been that upset in a very long time. Dd1 is so not used to me buying food out that she couldn't figure out what I was talking about at first-generally if we get anything it is only a snack-(like ice cream after TKD belt testing)- or on vaca. Dh and I just had a home cooked steak dinner  (just 2 more steak packs in the freezer from the 1/2 beef we bought). 

Finishing up my grocery list. Since I am going so many days later than planned I made my menu a few days longer so I can just skip grocery shopping next week (it seems silly to shop again on Tuesday and I'll be busy on Thurs- my other usual shopping day). I think I *finally* almost have it finished but need to recheck the frig and pantry. I noticed this week I'm out of some pantry staples so I need to be making sure I do a good inventory.

• Like 5

Paid ballet tuition for the month.  It is the same as our mortgage.   😞   That is with my 2 older taking some days off too.   Need to pay performance fee for Nutcracker which was not included in that.  And private lessons are not in that amount.  

Back to where dance is a huge money drain for us.  The insane commuting, all the gear, classes......     We saved so much over Covid times and would save so much if it wasn't in our life.  

Did submit the paperwork for school funds.  

• Like 3

I sold a little cello I bought from goodwill months ago and cleaned and set up for that purpose.  I still have several little violins sitting around for the same reason, but glad to have the bigger one gone.  Invested the net profit.

I discovered that we had $300 sitting in venmo from others’ contributions to a shared gift months ago.

I can’t recall if I already said this on last month’s thread, but the dentist said that neither of the girls will need braces!  (I was really hoping so.  I was the only one of five kids in my family who didn’t.)  

I spent a lot of time yesterday organizing medical bills and receipts to get reimbursed by dh’s work.  He absolutely hates asking them for reimbursement, even though it’s just another one of his employment benefits like medical insurance.  But he has brought them a lot of additional income with extra work and new private clients lately, so he is not feeling as uncomfortable with it as previously and I am striking while the iron is hot.

Dh also wrapped up some work for a big client faster than expected, which will mean getting paid for it next month instead of next year!  I am hoping it comes out to enough to make up the shortfall in our goal to fill the IRA for the year, as we have fallen behind on that as prices have risen.  

On the non-frugal side I gave up on my efforts to fight the war against mice ourselves or with one-time pest control visits and signed up for a regular service.  With everything we did before, it just seemed to be getting worse, and I had to get rid of them before the baby is born.  Also had to have a plumber out which was not cheap, but she fixed the pressure/valve problem and we now have a working dishwasher again too, finally!

• Like 3

Also, we spent way too much money over the last few months trying to contain our escape artist dog in our yard.  Even catching her foot in a fence she climbed, leaving herself hanging from the top of the fence by a hind leg in terrible pain did not deter her.  But it looks like we finally have a solution that works, an aerial dog run and special escape-proof harness that give her almost the full length of the yard without quite letting her reach any fences to climb.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Condessa said:

Also, we spent way too much money over the last few months trying to contain our escape artist dog in our yard.  Even catching her foot in a fence she climbed, leaving herself hanging from the top of the fence by a hind leg in terrible pain did not deter her.  But it looks like we finally have a solution that works, an aerial dog run and special escape-proof harness that give her almost the full length of the yard without quite letting her reach any fences to climb.

Poor girl.  I was just talking to a friend who has dogs like this and has to have aerial dog run and fenced in yard for her dogs.  I think my younger dog would be that kind of dog too.  We don't have a fenced in yard so we only walk her.  But she is a nut.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Poor girl.  I was just talking to a friend who has dogs like this and has to have aerial dog run and fenced in yard for her dogs.  I think my younger dog would be that kind of dog too.  We don't have a fenced in yard so we only walk her.  But she is a nut.  

It was terrible.  I heard her cry/scream and ran out to lift her up and take her weight off the leg, but couldn’t get her free.  I had to get the girls to bring tools out and work together to pry two fence panels apart to free her while I held her up.  I was amazed the leg wasn’t broken.  (This happened while I was supposed to be on semi-bed rest.)  I’ve never known of a dog who could climb like her before, or slip out of a fitted harness and collar that have been hooked together.

Edited by Condessa
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

It was terrible.  I heard her cry/scream and ran out to lift her up and take her weight off the leg, but couldn’t get her free.  I had to get the girls to bring tools out and work together to pry two fence panels apart to free her while I held her up.  I was amazed the leg wasn’t broken.  (This happened while I was supposed to be on semi-bed rest.)  I’ve never known of a dog who could climb like her before, or slip out of a fitted harness and collar that have been hooked together.

That sounds horrible.  Thank goodness she was ok.  What breed of dog is she?

• Like 1

Ds did a study through his university and got paid $$. He gave us the gift certificate since it was to a store he doesn’t go to and we started buying stocking stuffers.

Dh went to the office for the first time in 20 months. His items had been packed in a cardboard box by corporate facility staff during the early days of the shut down. His water bottles and computer monitors and stuff were all still there so we don’t have to worry about replacing them. (Water fountains are still all shut down here—in schools, doctor offices, and also at his work.) 

I am headed into a real life grocery store today. Walmart has been super glitchy with orders for a month now so I am hoping to do a big stock up of essentials to last us a few weeks so we can ride out the supply waves. We need some things that are hard to make or do without. 

Ds’s coworker is out with covid so he is pulling extra hours while going to school full time in a hard degree. He is exhausted.

• Like 5

One thing I did that wasn't frugal in the short term but will be in the long term.  Canning lids have been in short supply and even though I've finished for the year, I still buy lids whenever I see them because who knows if they will be available again when I do need them. Walmart had some Kerr (i will only use Kerr or Ball brand), for 2.28.  Went there for other things and discovered they had a full case (24 boxes) plus a bunch of loose ones.  So I took the case even though I don't need them right now.  Just checked and all the local stores are now selling them for 2.97.  Really glad I grabbed that case on Wednesday.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Paid ballet tuition for the month.  It is the same as our mortgage.   😞   That is with my 2 older taking some days off too.   Need to pay performance fee for Nutcracker which was not included in that.  And private lessons are not in that amount.  

Back to where dance is a huge money drain for us.  The insane commuting, all the gear, classes......     We saved so much over Covid times and would save so much if it wasn't in our life.  

Did submit the paperwork for school funds.  

How many kids do you have in dance right now? We only have the 2 girls at the moment but one of my boys is going to take a class on Tuesday to see if he likes it. We pay tuition for the year upfront. It is a hard pill to swallow but not a mortgage payment per month yet. That would not be sustainable for us. 

• Like 2

My Ibotta Thanksgiving meal rebate went through with no hitches (well, except Walmart was out of 2 items). But I got over almost $24 back on groceries this week. We're eating the turkey from the freezer this week - I'll probably make some of the traditional sides with it, and then turn it into casseroles for the freezer and stock. 

Listed a few things for sale today. Need to gather the American Girl stuff for sale since my co-worker is looking for a doll for her granddaughter to see if she wants anything before I list it.

• Like 4

Tearing this stupid shed down ourselves was such a bad idea. I'm so grumpy right now and annoyed. Had to take a break before I lost my temper. It isn't difficult but it is such a big shed and with dh stick during the week we only have today and tomorrow to do it.

I'm taking the $600 I saved doing it ourselves and wasting it on something fun. Screw being responsible, ha.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3