Menu

Algebra 2 Curriculum Ideas

I know, I know, there are already a lot of questions and answers and that whole pinned math thread listing curriculums. I've read most of them, but am still struggling.

I'm searching for an Algebra 2 curriculum for next year-beginning research now. I know I don't want live classes and I don't want doing the work online. I know I don't want Saxon or any of it's video subsets. I also know I don't want an honors, AP or whatever else there is-just an average high school algebra 2 class for a 10th grader. And we would prefer not having to read the info online (i.e an online textbook).

We are finishing Jacobs Algebra this week (then moving on to Geometry for this school year), and while I love algebra and am good at it, the further we got in the book, the less competant I felt teaching and helping him through the problems. So, I'm realizing for Algebra 2, I'll need addittional teaching help, preferably in the way of short teaching videos, and going through the problems help. I definately want to be involved, though.

I've looked at Mr D, Derek Owens and Ask Dr. Callahan. However, I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the price for those-plus, it seems as though the main focus is the live classes, and it's hard to find info on the other-though if you have any tips, I'd be happy to check them out again.

The closest I've found to what might work is Math Without Borders, but I haven't been able to find many current reviews for it. 

Are there other options I should check out and consider? Thanks!

Edited by alisha

We used Derek Owens. The student watches the videos and fills in a work text of notes. We did self-grading, which is half price. It worked pretty well for us. 

This worked better for my dd than the Math Without Borders videos because she had to take notes, and I would have been less able to jump in and help with Algebra 2.

If you can teach Algebra 2, it would be worth looking at the Foerster text and MWB videos.

For Algebra 1 I watched the videos in the morning on the treadmill and dd just worked straight from the Foerster book. That way I could answer questions without trying to figure out what she was working on.

Edited by MamaSprout

I love the Forester book. It is pretty self teaching. The Math without Borders videos that go with it were kind of a slog so we never watch them since the book does a good job. I ended up teaching straight from the book for one and the other boy mostly teaches himself straight from the book.

I might use the videos if I get stuck in the future. So they are boring but I could see them being helpful if I didn't understand the subject.

• Like 1

We’re trying Derek Owens for the first time this year ( Alg 2) and it is working very well for my DS. He likes the format of not having live classes, but still having daily videos. I also think the method of taking notes has been a particularly good fit for this ds. 

• Like 1

I used the Math without Borders / Foerster book. We didn't really use the Math Without Borders recordings much. I did buy the Kolbe lesson plans and tests to go along with Foerster (because I tend to overwork my kids and I need someone to tell me "that's enough"). Also, since my child was preparing to go to high school, I viewed learning to take tests as an essential part of Algebra II for her.

I do think the MwoB videos would be good for a parent who wasn't confident in explaining everything. If you have specific questions, tag me and I'll look at my materials.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 1