Menu

Would you buy any of this stuff? Help me prioritize crafts please :) UPDATE

heartlikealion

51 minutes ago, Spryte said:

OP, are you looking for projects to turn into a business, or just for fun? 

For now it’s really more for fun but if the event goes well I’d consider doing it on a bigger scale at a future date. I don’t have the time to keep up with an Etsy shop and I’d have to spend more on supplies for mail. I wouldn’t even consider it if it wasn’t for the cheap booth fee ($25). I think booths at most events are over $100. I’m getting a borrowed tent and I have a fold out table and chair. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

For now it’s really more for fun but if the event goes well I’d consider doing it on a bigger scale at a future date. I don’t have the time to keep up with an Etsy shop and I’d have to spend more on supplies for mail. I wouldn’t even consider it if it wasn’t for the cheap booth fee ($25). I think booths at most events are over $100. I’m getting a borrowed tent and I have a fold out table and chair. 

Ok. 

If you’re thinking of making it a business, some random ideas that apply to shows only (not Etsy) … go to some shows and take a look at what works. I’d start out right now just doing stuff you love and enjoy, and can give as gifts later.

I never paid much attention to fabric artists, so not much help there, but I had 2 friends with very successful clothing businesses. One did silk, very artsy - way too expensive to start a business like that. The other, though, embellished knit tops and dresses with her own designs. It was kind of cutesy, but sold like crazy. Some seasonal (pumpkin scenes on a shirt), some not. Both of those women did the big juried art shows with me, back when I did shows. We were roommates pretty often, so I have a good idea about how successful they were because we would compare notes each night.

What about 18 inch doll items and clothes? Stockings? Ornaments? Reusable gift bags?

The people I have seen do well with smaller items have a huge variety. So I think making a big selection is a great idea. Then you can see what sells and next time make more of that item.

And … at a show with craft type items … anything you can personalize. Christmas ornaments? Have them pay, take down the names, give receipt, they walk around and come back to pick it up (so you aren’t rushed). Make them x dollars and give a small discount for 3. (Like $6 each or 3 for $15) … that always increases volume of sales. If you are doing a show in Oct, that is absolutely not too early to sell holiday stuff!

(Again, I grew up in the big juried art show scene, with some smaller street arts and craft fairs on the side. My mom did 38 shows a year, and when I later did shows on my own, I kept it in the 30 shows per year range. I know they aren’t the same shows, but definitely have similarities and we saw a lot of people come and go. Not sure if my experience will be applicable to what you are doing.)

• Like 2

Oh. Another random idea. If you have the option of paying for a corner booth, that always increased my sales exponentially. As did a booth and a half.

Will you have electricity? The little swing arm desk lights work well in a pinch if you happen to have some at home.

If you do make ornaments, one really easy way to display, to add height … a mesh, foldable fireplace screen. Ornament hooks will work on it. If you’re going to personalize anything, put examples out. Use popular names. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danae said:

Someone gave me a bag for microwaving potatoes that they bought at a craft fair about five years ago.  I used it once, and as far as I can tell it didn’t improve anything over just microwaving the potato on a plate.  So I vote NO on that one.

edit: it had a note pinned on it about how it was a magic potato bag that could be used to make a baked potato in the microwave.  Which you can, without the bag. 

I microwave potatoes in plastic grocery bags. I bought a crafted potato bag once but really decided I preferred the plastic bag that could be thrown away when it got gross.

14 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Oh. Another random idea. If you have the option of paying for a corner booth, that always increased my sales exponentially. As did a booth and a half.

Will you have electricity? The little swing arm desk lights work well in a pinch if you happen to have some at home.

If you do make ornaments, one really easy way to display, to add height … a mesh, foldable fireplace screen. Ornament hooks will work on it. If you’re going to personalize anything, put examples out. Use popular names. 

The fall fest at their school is just from 5-7 pm the first week of Oct. I don't know if there's access to electricity for the vendors like me. I don't have a monogramming machine but that's one of the most popular ways to personalize items here. I've had Christmas stockings personalized in the past for the kids (dropped them off and paid for the monogramming). I'm not sure what other kind of personalization you are talking about? 

Now that you mention it, I DO paint ceramic ornaments but haven't lately. I paint them and then spray them with a sealer (usually glossy). A few times a year the dollar stores carry the plain ceramic ornaments and I buy them. But, it's time consuming (detailed work). I DO enjoy it though so I could stock up this year and paint them off/on before Christmas 2022 if I wanted to sell. I just fear that no one would buy them. I don't know if that is a desirable item??? I painted a wooden Christmas sign last year but the glossy paint was NOT glossy even after several coats on separate days. A crafter recommended another brand I can try next time. I've also made beaded candy cane ornaments, but that was just for fun for my home. I have no idea what people want on their trees. 

I emailed the church and they said as far as they know everything that was at the country store booth this weekend sold. And I only left a few items at the church due to time constraints (they got the pumpkin, some scrunchies and some cloth coasters. No idea what they were priced!). 

For future I would like to make and sell some bags that hold plastic doggie poop bags. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CsQsUs3Pb8. I don't have a dog, but I think a few dog owners would like it. I would probably buy paw print fabric for that. I had my eye on some this week. But that project is beyond my scope at the moment... I mean I really have to sit down and study it and use the zipper foot for the first time. So that won't be for this event. If they flopped I could still give away to animal foster parents or a shelter or dog owners I know. 

Ds did a jewelry booth once and I bought him an extra jewelry display. I think he still has it. I would hang masks or lanyards from that. However, now they got me freaking out over the lead in metal. I didn't know that was even a thing that people paid attention to when designing for a little craft event. 

I ordered a different kind of interfacing to go inside the top of the kitchen towel thing. At this rate I'm not doing my budget any favors lol... but it's ALL stuff I will use, sale or not. 

Long story short, I have between now and Oct. 6 (event is Oct. 7 and I'll make some price tag signs) to finish a pile of small crafts LOL. Any new ideas might have to be shelved for future events depending on what is available, complexity, etc. 

YES I do plan to bundle items... buy more save a little. And I was thinking of doing a mini raffle at my booth. Like drop your name and phone number in a box and I'll text the winner. Not sure which item would be for the raffle. Might have to make a disclaimer must be present to win... winner will be messaged at 6:45 (or whatever). And a sign saying that 10% of proceeds from items that are taken home that day will go to the school (this would omit an obligation on special orders). 

I'm not sure how much time to put into masks... masks are optional at the school and many don't wear them. But, they might be required in a few places they go outside of school. 

Goals: (a few of each)

Pumpkins

Bookmarks

Masks/lanyards

Kitchen towels with toppers (store bought towel, homemade topper... can possible make two finished items out of one towel)

scrunchies

bowl covers (may not do a lot of these... this requires larger pieces of fabric). Can be made with elastic OR a cord and cord lock... I have all supplies

I'm considering creating a facebook page before the event so if they are interested in placing an order I can direct them to the facebook page for more info. But I don't know if I time for that... lol. I mean the actual item making. 

May have to scrap the cloth coasters... not much time to make a whole set. People would probably want to buy a whole set

I do think bowl cozies (or the idea to make school-themed items like this) would be cool to do, but may be too time consuming/material heavy for the moment. I only have a few days. This is really a learning experience with a low risk factor so I figure why not...

Yes, I'm crazy. I'll share my success or fail either way. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I microwave potatoes in plastic grocery bags. I bought a crafted potato bag once but really decided I preferred the plastic bag that could be thrown away when it got gross.

oh wow. I would not ever think to use a grocery bag in the microwave! But I don't like microwaving plastic at all and feel guilty sometimes about the froze steamable bags from the grocery store. No telling what is off gassing. I bake or boil raw potatoes. 

Ok, so a machine might be a bit much to drag to a show for a few hours! 🤣

What you can do to personalize is something like … make an ornament with a little banner, maybe attach it somehow. I don’t know - maybe an angel holding it? - they have some at craft places that are small wooden banners. I would give the banners a once or twice over with spray paint to make it the color you want. Or use a layer of craft paint. Then you can personalize at the show with a fine tip sharpie. If you make a mistake, nail polish remover takes is off, touch up the craft paint and start over. You could probably do this on more than ornaments, but those are good for small purchases, and usually get purchased, IME.

It sounds cheesy, but personalized ornaments usually sell well. Make sure you take a small tabletop tree to display them, if you do it.

Whatever you do, have fun!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Ok, so a machine might be a bit much to drag to a show for a few hours! 🤣

What you can do to personalize is something like … make an ornament with a little banner, maybe attach it somehow. I don’t know - maybe an angel holding it? - they have some at craft places that are small wooden banners. I would give the banners a once or twice over with spray paint to make it the color you want. Or use a layer of craft paint. Then you can personalize at the show with a fine tip sharpie. If you make a mistake, nail polish remover takes is off, touch up the craft paint and start over. You could probably do this on more than ornaments, but those are good for small purchases, and usually get purchased, IME.

It sounds cheesy, but personalized ornaments usually sell well. Make sure you take a small tabletop tree to display them, if you do it.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Thanks! Oh and I just asked and got a corner spot!! They said someone backed out and I got their spot. Now I'm fully committed LOL

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Is that like the doggy bag holder? I’m trying to picture it. The only kind I have is hard plastic. Or maybe you mean the long cylinder tube with just an open top? 

Something like this…  with a ribbon at the top to hang on a doorknob.  Elastic on both ends so you can stuff it down in there and pull one out of the bottom.

83D9F778-E299-41D1-B3FE-11179A3F2711.png

• Like 1

I may need to just buy a yard or so of fabric haha. The fat quarters won't work on some of the things I would like to do. I also thought of making boot shapers... wrapping a pool noodle in cute fabric. You then shove it inside the boot to keep the boot upright in your closet. But, not sure the best way to do those to make appealing to buyers. For MYSELF (boot enthusiast who has no business wearing them because of my feet issues) I bought faux fur to stick out of the top like Santa's boot haha. 

The bag idea I could probably find a tutorial for. I'm a little lost on how the elastic would be used. 

Someone in my sewing group suggested heat packs you fill with jasmine rice that can go in the microwave. 

SOO Many ideas! Thank you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I may need to just buy a yard or so of fabric haha. The fat quarters won't work on some of the things I would like to do. I also thought of making boot shapers... wrapping a pool noodle in cute fabric. You then shove it inside the boot to keep the boot upright in your closet. But, not sure the best way to do those to make appealing to buyers. For MYSELF (boot enthusiast who has no business wearing them because of my feet issues) I bought faux fur to stick out of the top like Santa's boot haha. 

The bag idea I could probably find a tutorial for. I'm a little lost on how the elastic would be used. 

Someone in my sewing group suggested heat packs you fill with jasmine rice that can go in the microwave. 

SOO Many ideas! Thank you. 

Or you can fill them with deer corn and use and essential oil like lavender to make it scented. 

• Like 2

I found some embroidery floss here but it's white, so I'll get some black for some of my other fabric. I have improved on my pumpkins. 

My interfacing is a pick up order I hope to get tomorrow night so I can do some of the towel toppers. I'll definitely put a focus on scrunchies since I can make several from one piece of fabric. 

I haven't gotten into quilting. That's a whole 'nother animal lol. 

I tried to fix the 4 qt bowl cover and it's a hot mess haha If functions but it's not so attractive. I wonder if it would fit a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl. I don't plan to sell it, though. 

7 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Yeah. I don't think I'd buy a quilt at a craft show. But I need to find someone to commission one made from.

I am not offering, because I’m not experienced enough, but I’m curious about this.  How much would you expect to pay for a commissioned quilt?  And do you have a pattern and fabric in mind, or just a general idea of what you want? (And if you’re the kind of person who chooses fabric and quilt patterns, how have you not gotten sucked into making them yourself yet?)

• Like 2

You may not care for pet clothes, but its a billion dollar market! And there's is no need to know how to knit for caps and hats, there are tons of videos on sewing hats. I just googled pet clothing patterns and it is mind blowing, just in case you ever want to expand. You make money by catering to the market, even the odd ones, lol, and there are tons of crazy cat ladies and fur-baby parents.

I do not care for long bookmarks, its something I'd not spend $ on, I just use any old postcard or paper. I really do not like cloth bowl covers, it makes me think of the food slopping on the material. I am tired of potholders being made of cruddy filling and not protecting me from the heat. I'm also not one to buy holiday knick-knacks unless they are something that really really grabs my interest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Idalou said:

You may not care for pet clothes, but its a billion dollar market! And there's is no need to know how to knit for caps and hats, there are tons of videos on sewing hats. I just googled pet clothing patterns and it is mind blowing, just in case you ever want to expand. You make money by catering to the market, even the odd ones, lol, and there are tons of crazy cat ladies and fur-baby parents.

I do not care for long bookmarks, its something I'd not spend $ on, I just use any old postcard or paper. I really do not like cloth bowl covers, it makes me think of the food slopping on the material. I am tired of potholders being made of cruddy filling and not protecting me from the heat. I'm also not one to buy holiday knick-knacks unless they are something that really really grabs my interest.

I think part of the appeal of the items is if they don’t sell I can gift them. I only know one person right now into dog clothes and they have a chihuahua. But a buyer might have a totally different sized dog and then I’m just stick with random dog outfits. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I am not a huge fan of the cloth bookmarks once I tried them inside a book. I prefer flatter ones. I may scrap the bookmarks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danae said:

I am not offering, because I’m not experienced enough, but I’m curious about this.  How much would you expect to pay for a commissioned quilt?  And do you have a pattern and fabric in mind, or just a general idea of what you want? (And if you’re the kind of person who chooses fabric and quilt patterns, how have you not gotten sucked into making them yourself yet?)

The last quilt I purchased like this was $100. It was a patchwork quilt that I chose a base color and chose an assortment of pieces out of their fabric stash I liked and they put it together themselves.

I have done some quilting myself. I am VERY slow -- my nephew was a year old before he got his baby quilt I started before he was born.  And I like to sew mostly with company and don't have a sewing circle where I live now.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

The fall fest at their school is just from 5-7 pm the first week of Oct. I don't know if there's access to electricity for the vendors like me. I don't have a monogramming machine but that's one of the most popular ways to personalize items here. I've had Christmas stockings personalized in the past for the kids (dropped them off and paid for the monogramming). I'm not sure what other kind of personalization you are talking about? 

Now that you mention it, I DO paint ceramic ornaments but haven't lately. I paint them and then spray them with a sealer (usually glossy). A few times a year the dollar stores carry the plain ceramic ornaments and I buy them. But, it's time consuming (detailed work). I DO enjoy it though so I could stock up this year and paint them off/on before Christmas 2022 if I wanted to sell. I just fear that no one would buy them. I don't know if that is a desirable item??? I painted a wooden Christmas sign last year but the glossy paint was NOT glossy even after several coats on separate days. A crafter recommended another brand I can try next time. I've also made beaded candy cane ornaments, but that was just for fun for my home. I have no idea what people want on their trees. 

I emailed the church and they said as far as they know everything that was at the country store booth this weekend sold. And I only left a few items at the church due to time constraints (they got the pumpkin, some scrunchies and some cloth coasters. No idea what they were priced!). 

For future I would like to make and sell some bags that hold plastic doggie poop bags. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CsQsUs3Pb8. I don't have a dog, but I think a few dog owners would like it. I would probably buy paw print fabric for that. I had my eye on some this week. But that project is beyond my scope at the moment... I mean I really have to sit down and study it and use the zipper foot for the first time. So that won't be for this event. If they flopped I could still give away to animal foster parents or a shelter or dog owners I know. 

Ds did a jewelry booth once and I bought him an extra jewelry display. I think he still has it. I would hang masks or lanyards from that. However, now they got me freaking out over the lead in metal. I didn't know that was even a thing that people paid attention to when designing for a little craft event. 

I ordered a different kind of interfacing to go inside the top of the kitchen towel thing. At this rate I'm not doing my budget any favors lol... but it's ALL stuff I will use, sale or not. 

Long story short, I have between now and Oct. 6 (event is Oct. 7 and I'll make some price tag signs) to finish a pile of small crafts LOL. Any new ideas might have to be shelved for future events depending on what is available, complexity, etc. 

YES I do plan to bundle items... buy more save a little. And I was thinking of doing a mini raffle at my booth. Like drop your name and phone number in a box and I'll text the winner. Not sure which item would be for the raffle. Might have to make a disclaimer must be present to win... winner will be messaged at 6:45 (or whatever). And a sign saying that 10% of proceeds from items that are taken home that day will go to the school (this would omit an obligation on special orders). 

I'm not sure how much time to put into masks... masks are optional at the school and many don't wear them. But, they might be required in a few places they go outside of school. 

Goals: (a few of each)

Pumpkins