Menu

How do you describe AOPS Intermediate Alg on a transcript?

I have to make a transcript and course of study for DD13 in order for her apply to a speech program. I'm not sure how I should list Intermediate Algebra (AOPS).  From what I've been told, AOPS Intro to Algebra B (or second half of INtro to Alg book) counts as what most high schools consider Algebra 2.  If that's the case, then do I call Intermediate Algebra:  "Algebra 3?"  "Honors Intermediate Algebra?" "other...?"

Paging @Not_a_Number, @daijobu, @8filltheheart, @SanDiegoMom, @Arcadia, @math_mom...

• Thanks 1

I believe my course description was lightly edited from the textbook blurb on the AoPS website, or maybe from the textbook itself:

Honors Intermediate Algebra

Topics covered in Intermediate Algebra include a review of basic algebra topics, complex numbers, quadratics and conic sections, polynomials, multivariable expressions, sequences and series, identities, inequalities, exponents and logarithms, piecewise-defined functions, and functional equations.

Instructor: (me!)

Text: Intermediate Algebra by Richard Rusczyk and Mathew Crawford, Art of Problem Solving (AoPS)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 6:49 PM, WTM said:

And is it ok to copy and paste the course description from the AOPS website to use as the course description for the transcript?

You're not putting course descriptions on the transcript. If at all, they go into a separate course descriptions document.
I used the course descriptions from AoPS and attributed them:

"The course descriptions below are taken from the publisher’s website http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/"

• Thanks 1

I was thinking that if you did all of Intro and Intermediate that it seems to be really 3 honors level courses. Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Intermediate Algebra. The first two mirror traditioanl scope & sequence. The later captures everything covered beyond that. IMO, the hours involved surely merit 3 credits.

You can totally save yourself time and use the syllabus from WTMA for their two AOPS courses. Intermediate Algebra would be everything beyond that.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1