Menu

Stuff that only happens to homeschoolers.

KidsHappen

My dd had a very young milk snake that somehow escaped from his cage. He has been missing for about two weeks and we have all been on the lookout for him. So earlier today we see our kitten chasing a snake. One of my dds grabs the cat and I pick up the snake. Of course he bites me. But I forgive him. He was obviously scared by the cat, he is a little cold and probably hasn't ate in two weeks. So I put him in his cage, turn on the heat lights and get him some water. Then I called my dd at work and told her we found the snake and put him in his cage. She thanks us so much and says she will see us when she gets home from work. So later she shows up in my room and says, "Mom, that's not my snake!" Pretty sure it is a practically newborn milk snake so now she has a new snake and we are still on the lookout for another snake.

This is the dd that works at the pet store. We have a room that she has basically turned into a terrarium. She has two bearded dragons, some other type of lizard, three snakes now, two tarantulas, a scorpion, three frogs, a bird and a fish tank, plus a cat and dog. I didn't ok any of these animals and now here I am getting bit by strange snakes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 29
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

My dd had a very young milk snake that somehow escaped from his cage. He has been missing for about two weeks and we have all been on the lookout for him. So earlier today we see our kitten chasing a snake. One of my dds grabs the cat and I pick up the snake. Of course he bites me. But I forgive him. He was obviously scared by the cat, he is a little cold and probably hasn't ate in two weeks. So I put him in his cage, turn on the heat lights and get him some water. Then I called my dd at work and told her we found the snake and put him in his cage. She thanks us so much and says she will see us when she gets home from work. So later she shows up in my room and says, "Mom, that's not my snake!" Pretty sure it is a practically newborn milk snake so now she has a new snake and we are still on the lookout for another snake.

This is the dd that works at the pet store. We have a room that she has basically turned into a terrarium. She has two bearded dragons, some other type of lizard, three snakes now, two tarantulas, a scorpion, three frogs, a bird and a fish tank, plus a cat and dog. I didn't ok any of these animals and now here I am getting bit by strange snakes.

Kinda glad it wasn’t something a bit more venomous!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

So… I assume said “newborn” snake was found in your house? Doesn’t that mean the lost snake had babies?!?! How many could there be?

I like snakes well enough, but this might push me over the edge.

The lost snake was also very young so we don't think it was the mother. We have never had native snakes in this house before so we did ask her if there was anu way that she accidently brought the other snake home from the store but she said no they are pretty secure, hard to get to and there wasn't any missing. So our working theory is: she bought a couple mice home and ran a fan over their cage to waft their smell to attract her snake back to his cage. Perhaps native momma snake smells the mice and decided this is a good place to have her young or the young were born nearby and were attracted by the smell. In any case, mice have been sent back to store so hopefully no more snakes will be attracted to the house. Either that or she starts selling them.

4 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Milk snakes are egg layers, and they scatter pretty far and wide once they hatch. So it seems unlikely there would be a clutch. Although it does indicate that either your house is not snake proof (which means also not rodent proof) or the cat brought it in. 

I did know they were eggs layers but did not know that they tend to disburse so that is good news. The cat is just a kitten and indoors only so we think not this. We have never even seen snakes in our yard and we live very close to serious retail development, not the kind of place you would expect to see snakes but obviously looks can be deceiving. We do think that the house is not snake or mouse proof because when dd was looking for her snake she said she saw what looked like mouse droppings under the fridge even though we have never seen mice in this house before either probably due to the preponderance of cats we usually have. So we are having Orkin out to check things out for us.