Menu

face shield/visor recommendations

Bootsie

Does anyone have recommendations for a face shield/visor that does not distort vision?  My employer has provided some face shields for faculty to wear while teaching.  I realize, however, that I can't read my lecture notes through it, all of the lights in the classroom reflect in funny ways, and students look hazy.  It is like trying to see through a really dirty windshield while wearing pretend glasses with platic lenses.  So, I am looking at purchasing some higher quality face shields to use.  

14 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

https://mypowis.com/blog/portfolio/myshield/

Comes in a few different patterns if that matters, and can be worn 2 ways (technically 3). 

I used this kind all year last year, teaching K, 1st & 2nd in the homeschool co-op where I teach. It did work well, with a few caveats:

-- around the neck, which I did for a semester, the shield doesn't turn with you when you turn your head, so side protection is not great. 
--around the head or the neck, the velcro sticks to your hair if it gets in the way at all (I have long hair, which I was wearing in a braid, but the little fly-aways would stick; since I was alone in my room and taking it off for lunch between my classes, this made the little fly-aways into big fly-aways
--the shield part is pretty thin and did have some creases by the end of the year; ETA: I had bought a 2-pack, and when I switched at the semester, the velcro from the 1st was so messed up, and the shield so creasy, that I switched to the 2nd one to wear around my head. The 2nd one held up better around my head, it was my braid getting caught in the excess velcro that messed it up, but just to be fully honest on quality on this one. 

BUT:
--it wasn't echoey at all 
--and it wasn't glare-y at all
--and it was SUPER comfortable, in an "am I even wearing this" way

This year, due to the above caveats, I bought a new one (so only on week two so far).  It's thicker shield material and feels sturdier, has no velcro so doesn't get stuck to my hair, still doesn't glare at all, and is cute and comfy, with these caveats:  https://www.shieldpals.com/face-shields   (I got a comfort halo, butterfly crown shield; they have many)

--it's comfortable, but I do know that I'm wearing it (it's not uncomfortable at all, just I can tell it's there)
--it IS echoey. Not so much that the kids notice, except the tiny group who are with me when I eat lunch and I take it off, who until they heard me speak without it, didn't know I sounded different. So, not a lot, no one had trouble understanding me or anything, but they could detect a slight difference between "with it" and "without it". 
--you can only wear it around the head, but as I ended up preferring that way anyway, that's fine with me.

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 2

We've been through probably 10 different brands of disposable face shields at work.  They all have the same problems with glare.  They are all also deafening to the wearer when projecting one's voice - the shape deflects the sounds into the wearers ears.  

The polycarbonate re-usable kind used in industry are much better with respect to glare.  They're heavy, though, and need to be cleaned vs tossed.  And they still have the same problem with acoustics.

Do you need a faceshield? Would alternative eye protection be adequate? I'n thinking that your are needing to protect yourself from masked people who are talking, not HCW level protection (unmasked patients spitting in your face etc).  I like wrap around disposable eye shields (similar to these).  Super light, no glare, no fog.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wathe said:

We've been through probably 10 different brands of disposable face shields at work.  They all have the same problems with glare.  They are all also deafening to the wearer when projecting one's voice - the shape deflects the sounds into the wearers ears.  

The polycarbonate re-usable kind used in industry are much better with respect to glare.  They're heavy, though, and need to be cleaned vs tossed.  And they still have the same problem with acoustics.

Do you need a faceshield? Would alternative eye protection be adequate? I'n thinking that your are needing to protect yourself from masked people who are talking, not HCW level protection (unmasked patients spitting in your face etc).  I like wrap around disposable eye shields (similar to these).  Super light, no glare, no fog.

I do not really need it for protection  the university would like us to wear them for "optics" and to role model precaution to the students.  So my being able to see clearly is the criterion rather than protection.  

11 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I do not really need it for protection  the university would like us to wear them for "optics" and to role model precaution to the students.  So my being able to see clearly is the criterion rather than protection.  

Haha "optics", since actual functional optics are the problem here......I wonder if it's worth asking admin if alternate safety eyewear would be acceptable then.  Way more comfortable and practical. 

• 5 months later...

Just coming back to this because after a semester of struggling with this, we were told this week "Oh didn't you know there is a protective film that has to be peeled off of the visors.  You can't really tell it, but when you get the film off things aren't distorted."  Wow!  After spending an hour trying to figure out whether there really was a film and how to start peeling it off, it makes all the difference in the world!  

• Like 3