Menu

Outbreaks in daycares?

Teaching3bears

1 hour ago, Teaching3bears said:

I am hearing of outbreaks in daycares where all or most of the children are catching the new variant (despite them taking precautions and limiting group size.)  Is this a widespread problem?

From following our state report of outbreaks, childcare centers are one of the settings with the largest number of outbreaks.

• Sad 2

54 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Right now hand, foot and mouth and is spreading through our city's daycares like wildfire. I was kind of shocked because I would have thought that measures to prevent Covid would help prevent this. Apparently, not and I can now see how Covid could race through them like wildfire too. It's scary.

We aren’t seeing much Covid in kids here yet, but huge numbers of RSV.  That is unusual for summer.

• Like 1

The local news the couple of nights ago had a story on outbreaks in local daycares - the focus was more on how they are going to survive financially.  Each exposure means closures or possibly being short-staffed if the person needing to quarantine is a staff member(s) etc.  They weren't downplaying the medical side of it.  There have been other stories on that especially with quotes from the local Children's hospital - as I alluded to above.  But this particular story was on the economic side of it.  Plus - interviews with parents who are scrambling every time a daycare has to close due to an outbreak.

ETA:  I guess I'm just posting this to say that it's enough of a problem to warrant a story highlighting it. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Typo
  • Sad 2