Menu

Visiting someone immune-compromised

AmandaVT

In a couple of weeks, I will be seeing someone who is currently immune-compromised. I have been invited to see them and would like to make sure I am taking enough precautions. My current thinking: 

• quarantine for 10 days prior to leaving. DH works from home and we can instacart groceries, so this shouldn't be a problem
  • Test 3 days before leaving to make sure there's enough time to get a result
  • mask on trip there (will have to take train)

Did I miss anything important?

8 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Can you socialize with them outdoors?

Not in this case - I am going to support my friend (and sharing a hotel room) while and after her husband has major surgery for a life threatening condition. I won't be going into the hospital, but will be there as a support for my friend while she waits and while he's in the ICU. They have been quite cautious all through covid and she is working from home still, but they are both of the "we're all vaccinated - and we aren't worried" mindset. I just want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence. 

Will definitely bring hand sanitizer. I have Happy Masks and KF94s - I can double up in the train if needed. If we were local, I'd be slightly less cautious, but we'll be in a neighboring state in a large city.

Double masking. 

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-double-masking

Adding more layers of material to a mask or wearing two masks reduces the number of respiratory droplets containing the virus that come through the mask. If one person is using a cloth mask over a surgical mask while the other person is not, it has been shown to block 85.4% of cough particles, says the JAMA Health Forum article, “CDC Studies Underscore Continued Importance of Masks to Prevent Coronavirus Spread.” When both people are double masking, potentially infectious aerosols decrease by 95%.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Hand washing is such a mundane & commonplace thing, but - it really makes a difference, done often and done well. 

Having been in your friend's shoes, I'm grateful (on her behalf) that you're going. 

I got into the habit of washing my hands after each student I worked with last year. Great reminder to use my "how can they expect me to go to full time in person teaching during a pandemic" hand-washing routine in this scenario. 

I think I'm going to be hanging out in the hotel room 95% of the time - I'm bringing work, schoolwork and books. My plan is to be there for my friend for whatever she needs from me, even if it's just knowing that she won't be coming back to an empty room when she leaves the hospital after visiting hours. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I got into the habit of washing my hands after each student I worked with last year. Great reminder to use my "how can they expect me to go to full time in person teaching during a pandemic" hand-washing routine in this scenario. 

I think I'm going to be hanging out in the hotel room 95% of the time - I'm bringing work, schoolwork and books. My plan is to be there for my friend for whatever she needs from me, even if it's just knowing that she won't be coming back to an empty room when she leaves the hospital after visiting hours. 

This is really a lovely thing to do.   Delivering food and eating with her in the hospital parking lot(in a car) so she doesn't have to eat inside would also be a good thing to do. 

There is no way to avoid public transportation?  That's the riskiest part of it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

This is really a lovely thing to do.   Delivering food and eating with her in the hospital parking lot(in a car) so she doesn't have to eat inside would also be a good thing to do. 

There is no way to avoid public transportation?  That's the riskiest part of it.  

I don't think there is a way to avoid it. I'm comfortable driving to and around Boston, but not NYC. It's a little intimidating for me, to be honest. I love the idea of having food delivered to her in the hospital - thank you!!

• Like 1