Menu

Have you forgotten how to care for sick kids? I have.

Spryte

Oh boy, I am out of practice! Give me your best comforting tips for sick kids. Anything special to watch for with Covid concerns?

DD (10) woke yesterday with sore throat, congestion, nose pouring, low grade temp, feeling off.  No sense of smell but negative Covid test.  Her nose is so stuffed, she couldn’t possibly smell anything so hard to use that as a gauge of anything. Strep today was negative, but she started abx for sinus/possible strep.  

…and then on the way home she spiked a higher temp.  103.4.  That’s high for her.

So here we are, ibuprofen and abx. A comfy “bed” on the couch and TV.  Temp is down to 102, with ibuprofen. She’s just started with coughing.

Any tips?  Do we retest for Covid in a couple days?  What would you watch for?

Same feeling here. DS9 started with a sore throat & runny nose on Wednesday after dinner. His nose is running like a faucet, even with cold meds. Looks like it's moving from a head cold to a chest cold today. Luckily, he hasn't had a fever and can still smell. We bought a rapid covid test at CVS and it was negative. Today, the other three are complaining of sore throats and sneezing everywhere... I'm going to need to buy more cold meds and tissues!

I think we will have some NOVA videos this afternoon, and one or two might even nap. It has been sol long since any of the littles were sick, it is kind of jarring. It's going to be a long couple of days here.

• Like 1

Poor kiddo!

Our youngest ds likes Vicks Vaporub.  It helps with the congestion.  I end up making him spicy stir fry noodles, too, because the ginger, chili, and vinegar help open his sinuses and everything is nice and soft (noodles, cabbage, zucchini, carrots, peas).

I would definitely retest for Covid if you did a rapid test.  Our local clinics here highly discourage using them because the number of false rates is higher than the longer test.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

Same feeling here. DS9 started with a sore throat & runny nose on Wednesday after dinner. His nose is running like a faucet, even with cold meds. Looks like it's moving from a head cold to a chest cold today. Luckily, he hasn't had a fever and can still smell. We bought a rapid covid test at CVS and it was negative. Today, the other three are complaining of sore throats and sneezing everywhere... I'm going to need to buy more cold meds and tissues!

I think we will have some NOVA videos this afternoon, and one or two might even nap. It has been sol long since any of the littles were sick, it is kind of jarring. It's going to be a long couple of days here.

Right?  It’s been so long since we’ve gone through any illnesses here, it feels completely abnormal.

I hope your peeps feel better quickly!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HomeAgain said:

Poor kiddo!

Our youngest ds likes Vicks Vaporub.  It helps with the congestion.  I end up making him spicy stir fry noodles, too, because the ginger, chili, and vinegar help open his sinuses and everything is nice and soft (noodles, cabbage, zucchini, carrots, peas).

I would definitely retest for Covid if you did a rapid test.  Our local clinics here highly discourage using them because the number of false rates is higher than the longer test.

Now I’m craving spicy stir fry noodles!

Yes, we used a rapid, at home test.  It was negative, but says to retest in a few days.  We tested Fri, her first day of symptoms.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I end up making him spicy stir fry noodles, too, because the ginger, chili, and vinegar help open his sinuses and everything is nice and soft (noodles, cabbage, zucchini, carrots, peas).

If the kid in question enjoys it and can have it, hot and sour soup is great for this. Chicken soup, essentially, plus clearing the sinuses!

I hope she feels much better soon.

• Like 2

Poor kid, poor mom!

Hydration is on my mind when my kids get sick.  So, I'd be offering fruit with lots of water like watermelon, smoothies, Italian ice, etc . . . I also agree about spicy soup.

In my experience there is a pretty clear moment when antibiotics kick in for a bacterial infection vs. a more gradual recovery for a virus.  If I got that "kick in", I'd probably assume bacterial and not restest if we were all able to isolate until symptoms were gone.  If she was still symptomatic in a few days, or if a member of the family needed to continue with out of the house things, then I'd probably retest in a few days.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Poor kid, poor mom!

Hydration is on my mind when my kids get sick.  So, I'd be offering fruit with lots of water like watermelon, smoothies, Italian ice, etc . . . I also agree about spicy soup.

In my experience there is a pretty clear moment when antibiotics kick in for a bacterial infection vs. a more gradual recovery for a virus.  If I got that "kick in", I'd probably assume bacterial and not restest if we were all able to isolate until symptoms were gone.  If she was still symptomatic in a few days, or if a member of the family needed to continue with out of the house things, then I'd probably retest in a few days.

Fortunately we can all stay home, for now.  However, we should probably find out so we can plan accordingly and cancel our helpers this week if needed.  My mom’s aide was due to come today, but we postponed, just in case.  And we have a contractor who will need to avoid exposure if it’s Covid.  

If it’s bacterial, she’d probably turn the corner by tomorrow evening, I’d hope, so we will wait and tear again on Monday, maybe.

Doc said she’s been seeing a lot of strep, flu and RSV lately. Ugh.

• Sad 1

I would assume she has Covid. That is pretty much exactly what my 11 year old did last week, right down to the negative test. When we took her for a strep test the next day, they retested for Covid and she was positive. Her symptoms were completely different than mine back in February. Also, she is still positive on day 8 despite no symptoms in 6 days. She never lost smell but did smell burnt toast all one afternoon. 

Our friend’s  daughter had the exact same symptoms on the same day, with the exception of testing positive when tested.  In this family all 5 got Covid. Mom was partially vaccinated (second dose day daughter was exposed), dad fully. The two older kids never ran a fever and only had 24 hours of mild symptoms. Mom and Dad are both pretty run down both have lost smell although mom’s seems to be coming back. Local health department is sending dad’s sample off to verify it is delta but everyone is assuming it is. 

On the plus side both girls were really only sick for about 36 hours and then acting normal again. I hope it’s the same for your daughter!

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

On the plus side both girls were really only sick for about 36 hours and then acting normal again. I hope it’s the same for your daughter!

Side note, quarantine is much more difficult when kids are feeling well and they see their friends outside. 

I would not assume she has Covid.  I mean I think it is 50/50.    I mean in reality it isn't that there are more than 2 things to pick from.  My younger 3 just got sick.  We haven't been sick since maybe 2019.   We just started back to in-person things and day 5 one of them brought something home.  We were really careful in the house not because we thought it was coivd, but because we wanted the others to not get sick.  But the 2 other younger ones got sick.  Sore throat, congestion and then cough.   We tested them more than once for Covid and they were negative every time.  I felt bad testing them so often, but we wanted to be sure as they had been in things and I would have told them about it too if they had been.   I guess that is what we will do in the future with more than one test.  

I was kind of torn on it.  I don't want them to have Covid, but if they had and it was just a normal cold it would have been nice to have it done with and I could relax a bit.  Does that make me sound horrible?  I guess at this point I just feel like there is hardly away that you can prevent it.  I really want to get my younger kids vaccinated.  I hope that happens first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The abx kicked in, I think, and she’s turned the corner.  Whew.  Temp is in the low grade range rather than the 103 range.  Such a relief.  Coughing, congestion, but all improving. 

We will do another Covid test tomorrow, because we have workers who need to come in the house, and we want to be as sure as we can that it’s not Covid, but I really think this was bacterial.

This is one of our kids that gets really, really sick with everything, so I’m glad to see her improving with abx. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

Sitting in the er of the children's hospital waiting for DS4 to be reassessed after having oral steroids and Albuterol nebulizer. Apparently the cold (he's negative for covid) caused a partially collapsed right lung.

Parenting sucks sometimes. 😩

Oh wow, poor guy.  Sending him all the best thoughts and hoping he gets well soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noreen Claire said:

Sitting in the er of the children's hospital waiting for DS4 to be reassessed after having oral steroids and Albuterol nebulizer. Apparently the cold (he's negative for covid) caused a partially collapsed right lung.

Parenting sucks sometimes. 😩

Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry.  That poor kid.  You poor mom!  Hang in there, and keep us posted.  Sending good, healing thoughts your way.