Menu

Tampons stopping period

Elizabeth86

I haven’t worn a tampon in something like umm… I want to say…20 years. I was in high school for sure lol. I hate them. I wore one for swimming on day 2, heavy flow that morning and usually is on day 2. I took it out after 6 hours or so and there was barely any blood. After I took it out I went all the rest of that day and night and the next day too with nothing, no spotting. Then the night after, I just started bleeding again, full blown period again and then finished off my cycle as usual. I’ve never had my period stop and start like that before. I was curious if this ever happened to any of you? 

The stopping and starting again a day or two later happened to me for a few years when I was late 30s/early 40s. Pretty sure it was a perimenopause thing, because it was also happening to a friend of mine who is about the same age. No idea if tampons would affect it - I wasn't using them at the time.

• Like 5

What *Selkie said.  I think it's a part of perimenopause; my periods have gotten very wonky with stop, start, stop, etc.  Longer time between, shorter time between. Who the heck knows anymore? It's annoying. 

I don't use tampons, so can't say if that would trigger the start/stop thing.....but the start/stop thing definitely started happening around that age. 

edited b/c I had the wrong poster's name; oops!! (Sorry, Selkie! but good to see you!!)

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Selkie said:

The stopping and starting again a day or two later happened to me for a few years when I was late 30s/early 40s. Pretty sure it was a perimenopause thing, because it was also happening to a friend of mine who is about the same age. No idea if tampons would affect it - I wasn't using them at the time.

I might have thought this, but I have never been regular until after my 4th baby and I have never had such normal, regular cycles. lol Maybe this is just the beginning. I’m 35.

I remember being told when I was young that swimming can slow your period, and when I saw this question i looked and found several websites talking about it.  Anecdotally I've noticed it - I usually wear tampons, but the flow doesn't follow the usual expected pattern if I spend a lot of time in water.  So, I'd go with it being the swimming rather than the tampon use.  

• Like 5

For many of my "normal period" years, my norm was for the flow to stop after maybe 2.5 days and then re-start a day later.  I think this happens to one of my daughters also (and she does not use tampons).

• Like 2

I agree that it’s the swimming, not the tampon. 

I also agree that perimenopause can start messing with even the most regular periods. So if not this time, then at some point be warned that you might have heavier periods then lighter almost nonexistent ones etc. But when that starts varies from woman to woman. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SKL said:

For many of my "normal period" years, my norm was for the flow to stop after maybe 2.5 days and then re-start a day later.  I think this happens to one of my daughters also (and she does not use tampons).

This happens to me and it's so annoying.

• Like 1