Menu

Summer bedding for people who sleep hot?

Tap

I bought a king size bed for guests and I need to buy new bedding for it. My son-in-law sleeps hot and my daughter sleeps cool. She is used to curling up in fuzzy blankets to stay comfortable and I have a pile of those for her. Since I am buying new bedding, I thought I may try to find items that will help him feel more comfortable. Any suggestions? 

I haven’t found actual cooling sheets yet, but I’ve used bamboo (from Target, eons ago) and think those were the best.

For a light comforter (we don’t do a top sheet) I like the lightweight one we have from IKEA. I sleep hot but still like to have something cozy on top of (at least part of) my body. 

• Like 1

Maybe not the look you're after, but DH sleeps cold and I sleep hot. In the summer we each have our own blanket (we use blankets instead of duvets or bedspreads). I have a very lightweight cotton blanket. I fold it in half lengthwise over my half of the bed. He gets a heavy-ish fleece blanket, also folded in half lengthwise and placed on his side of the bed. It's not much for looks, but we don't care about that. The arrangement helps both of us sleep.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, our summer blankets were flannel, basically like flannel sheets.  So, we'd have a regular sheet and a flannel sheet, then a bedspread or comforter that was just for daytime during the summer.  If you went that route, your dd could use all of it, and your sil could use just the two sheets.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SKL said:

Not scientific, but I use flannel sheets year round.  I find them more comfortable even when it's sweaty hot.

I don’t use flannel in the summer, but DS uses fleece sheets which are similar.

I can’t sleep with exposed skin—especially in the heat—and find those cooling pjs from Soma or lightweight knit joggers to be comfortable. I swear covering up keeps me cooler. 

• Like 1