Menu

Bill Cosby is a free man

Catwoman

8 hours ago, Farrar said:

I found her tweet absurdly disingenuous too. Like, she didn't recant what she said, apologize for it, or recognize that Cosby's victims are victims. Rather, she supports "victims" - which to her no doubt means "real victims" which these women were apparently not in her mind. It's pretty clear to me that it was a pointless statement.

re: the "non-apology apology",  for when public figures don't like the pushback they receive after making an idiotic comment.  (Hollywood really seems to think the average person is dumb.  I prefer british comedies as they don't tell their audience when they're supposed to laugh.  We can figure it out ourselves thanks . . . )

8 hours ago, Holmesschooler said:

Were all of his accusers white women? 

No, but the black women he assaulted were lighter skinned. 

This is a picture of all of his victims.

(there are two links to different articles.  the 2nd was 2015)

“The part of it I wasn’t prepared for was the onslaught of women that have been assaulted and them telling me their story because I told mine.” —Beverly Johnson

Op Ed piece in today's NYT, by a former prosecutor, explains the issue very well. Here's an excerpt:

"... By removing the possibility of a criminal prosecution, Mr. Castor was making it impossible for Mr. Cosby to avoid answering questions at a deposition by invoking his right against self-incrimination.

In fact, Mr. Cosby sat for four depositions in the civil case. During those depositions, he admitted to giving quaaludes to women and was aware of the drugs’ effects. He ultimately settled the civil case for more than $3 million. The prosecution offered Mr. Cosby’s deposition statements at trial to corroborate the testimony of other women who testified that he had given them pills to incapacitate them before engaging in unwelcome sex acts, a scheme similar to the one alleged at trial.

It was the prosecution’s use of Mr. Cosby’s own statements that violated due process. The Fifth and 14th Amendments to the Constitution protect individuals from being compelled in a criminal case to be a witness against themselves. Ordinarily, someone who receives a subpoena to testify in a civil case may invoke the right against self-incrimination to avoid both answering a question and providing testimony that could be used against him or her in a subsequent criminal case.

By promising not to prosecute Mr. Cosby, Mr. Castor was essentially letting him off the hook criminally so that he could be vulnerable to civil penalties. It is not the duty of a prosecutor to assist a victim in litigation strategy for a civil case. A prosecutor’s duty is to use discretion responsibly to make decisions about charges. Mr. Castor failed to use his discretion responsibly.

The Pennsylvania court not only reversed the conviction, but also dismissed the case, precluding the prosecution from retrying Mr. Cosby without using his statements. Mr. Cosby may well have still been convicted without the use of his deposition testimony. We’ll never know. In the court’s view, the only just outcome was to protect Mr. Cosby’s rights by enforcing Mr. Castor’s promise.

Even when a prosecutor believes the evidence is insufficient to file criminal charges, he rarely makes a public statement binding himself to that position because that situation is always subject to change. The possibility of obtaining more evidence of a crime makes a commitment against prosecution ill advised. By overreaching to help the civil case, Mr. Castor blocked his successor from sustaining a conviction of Mr. Cosby. And Mr. Castor’s initial decision that the evidence was insufficient to prosecute may be his most egregious error."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/01/opinion/bill-cosby-released.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Yes, and when she walked back her original post, she talked about the victims telling “their truth,” which obviously meant she thought it wasn’t THE truth. 

Blech.

Yes, but it can be confusing. The man you know would NEVER be the person that would do this. Your brain just cannot comprehend it. Every single interaction you have ever had does not show it.  

38 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yes, but it can be confusing. The man you know would NEVER be the person that would do this. Your brain just cannot comprehend it. Every single interaction you have ever had does not show it.  

I think this is where we have to acknowledge that some or maybe all humans have the capacity to live double lives.  They compartmentalize and choose their victims carefully.  He would never in a million years attack Phylicia Rashad because he knows she would scream it from the rooftops.  

Personally I try to refrain from saying that ANYONE would never do XYZ.  Including myself.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I think this is where we have to acknowledge that some or maybe all humans have the capacity to live double lives.  They compartmentalize and choose their victims carefully.  He would never in a million years attack Phylicia Rashad because he knows she would scream it from the rooftops.  

Personally I try to refrain from saying that ANYONE would never do XYZ.  Including myself.

You are absolutely correct. Yep.  I just wanted to give a perspective from her point of view as everyone seems to be jumping on her as evil. 

I do feel for his victims. I believe he is guilty. 

• Like 1

And honestly....his sentence was for 3-10 years.  I believe he would have been released shortly anyway.  And this means not much in the grand scheme of things.  Everyone who has any common sense KNOWS he is guilty.  I hope those 60 women do feel proud and vindicated.  Because whether he is in a prison or out his character has been revealed and his life will never go back to what it was before.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

That is no excuse in this situation.

She has had YEARS to deal with the confusion. She has had YEARS to listen to the DOZENS OF VICTIMS. And he CONFESSED to drugging women for sex! IN HIS OWN WORDS!!!  If she truly “can’t comprehend” all of that, there is something seriously wrong with her.

If this was a situation where there was only one accuser, I might agree with you. I could understand how someone close to him could have doubts, and might wonder if the accuser was lying. But there is no way that anyone should be able to discount the sheer number of women who have accused him and told stories that are eerily similar — and these are credible women who didn’t know each other personally, and who had no reason to lie. And let’s not forget his own past standup routines where he joked about drugging women. And Phylicia Rashad, of all people, knows firsthand that Bill Cosby is a very good ACTOR, so of course he would be able to fool the people around him. If she wants to be deliberately obtuse, or if her own arrogance won’t allow her to realize that he fooled her, then she is disgusting and vile, and I don’t feel sorry for her in the least.

Additionally, did you ever consider that her motivation for supporting Bill Cosby might be something other than friendship? She used to make a lot of money off of the residuals from The Cosby Show. Don’t you think it might benefit her if people started thinking more fondly of Bill again, so the show could go back on the air and she could start making money from it again?

Save your sympathy for someone who deserves it. Phylicia Rashad is not that person.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Save your sympathy for someone who deserves it. Phylicia Rashad is not that person.

In your opinion, not mine.  I can see a lot of sides.  I see how fallen I am.  You cannot tell me who to sympathize with as I will not tell you that you cannot hate her. I get both sides.  

And please don’t yell at me.  Time to take a break for me.  I am not wrong.  My feelings are my feelings and I am allowed to have them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

In your opinion, not mine.  I can see a lot of sides.  I see how fallen I am.  You cannot tell me who to sympathize with as I will not tell you that you cannot hate her. I get both sides.  

And please don’t yell at me.  Time to take a break for me.  I am not wrong.  My feelings are my feelings and I am allowed to have them.

Stop playing the victim. 

You can have whatever feelings you want. Just don’t expect me to validate them for you.

Edited by Catwoman
Typo, as always.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Stop playing the victim. 

You can have whatever feelings you want. Just don’t expect me to validate them for you.

You do not have to validate. Just don’t attack please.  My heart is racing. If it wasn’t raining I would go for a run. I have to get out of here

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

You do not have to validate. Just don’t attack please.  My heart is racing. If it wasn’t raining I would go for a run. I have to get out of here

If you are fragile to the extent that reading posts about celebrities who are strangers to you affect you this much, why do you not stay away from this board for your own health and safety?

As to the OP, I only hope that Weinstein does not get out using the same methods ... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

No one is attacking you.

If your heart is racing because someone disagreed with you on an online forum, I would gently suggest that you may want to consider getting professional help for that. I don’t mean that in a snarky way; I am very serious. I have seen you leave this forum multiple times and then rejoin again with new usernames, and it ends the same way every single time. You end up incredibly upset over any little comment you don’t like, and you seem to feel that any time someone disagrees with you, they are personally attacking you.  

You seem like a nice person and I like having you here on the forum, but I am genuinely concerned about your emotional health and wonder if — and I suggest this as gently as I can — it might be time for you to take another little break. But when you return, I hope you will come back with the same username, so we can all welcome you back, instead of having to waste time trying to figure out who you are.

• Like 2