Menu

I think I need to evict a now-adult teen mother from my parents' house

MamaSprout

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

I think this is why it’s important to pull credit reports and examine financial accounts and household inventory. (I’m not accusing the young ones of theft, however, I have close family members whose first clue to the extent of their teen’s drug habit was the disappearance of household valuables as she and friends she invited into the home started lifting items to sell for drug money.)

I also wonder how sticky things could get if the aging couple needs to apply for Medicaid - would all the support provided be considered gifts that would mess up the financial look back. 

Especially ones that aren't accessed that often.  Silver that's put away and only gets used for holidays, jewelry that's out of fashion and doesn't get worn much.  electronics, etc.

• Like 1

I am an attorney but have no idea about eviction, but this may be one of those cases in which it pays to pay someone to leave. If you give he $500 to vacate the premises in 48 hours,  stand over her while she does so, and can ensure that she will not move right back in, it might save you thousands of dollars in legal fees, not to mention the risk to life and property from having a hostile tenant.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, plansrme said:

I am an attorney but have no idea about eviction, but this may be one of those cases in which it pays to pay someone to leave. If you give he $500 to vacate the premises in 48 hours,  stand over her while she does so, and can ensure that she will not move right back in, it might save you thousands of dollars in legal fees, not to mention the risk to life and property from having a hostile tenant.

We used to do this sometimes w tenants who were too far behind on rent to ever catch up. It was easier and faster than going to court and saved us from having to pay for their stuff to be hauled off.  We did get them to sign paperwork that they were voluntarily leaving the property.  It might be worth a try! 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I think this is why it’s important to pull credit reports and examine financial accounts and household inventory. (I’m not accusing the young ones of theft, however, I have close family members whose first clue to the extent of their teen’s drug habit was the disappearance of household valuables as she and friends she invited into the home started lifting items to sell for drug money.)

I also wonder how sticky things could get if the aging couple needs to apply for Medicaid - would all the support provided be considered gifts that would mess up the financial look back. 

I agree that there should be a close evaluation of accounts and assets.  My issue was some are rushing to an elder abuse accusation when what the OP has told us would not legally qualify as such.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, plansrme said:

I have landlord friends who do this. Don't give them the money until they are completely out. Have it in cash, and give it to them only when they are out the door for the last time, with all their stuff gone. Then change the locks immediately. They won't be motivated to move if you give it before they are gone. My friends learned this the hard way. 

• Like 2

I know someone who as a child his mother(who was homeless) and him were allowed to live in an elderly person's house  free for a few years. Fast forward a bit. Years later, After the mother had died, the child was now an adult and married. The elderly person died. The person successfully contested the will and got half the inheritance. They were not in the will at all. Claimed that as they were living there for free they were treated as child and grandchild. 

Are your parents actually willing to do anything? If they have bought her Macbooks, they probably are not ready to stand up to her. They need to stop with the spending, kick the boy friend out, and bring in social services to help the girl get the help she needs to move forward and onward with her life.

On 5/17/2021 at 10:02 AM, Katy said:

I’d call CPS.  Seriously.  They’ll either put her in programs to help her get a job, get an apartment, get schooling, and get daycare for her child or they’ll put the toddler with a family who can properly care for her.

I 100% agree with this. But you also need to get your parents on board with this so they don't just try to smooth things over when CPS shows up.

15 hours ago, AnotherNewName said:

I agree that there should be a close evaluation of accounts and assets.  My issue was some are rushing to an elder abuse accusation when what the OP has told us would not legally qualify as such.  

In some states it would qualify.