Menu

online lit class like a BW book club?

Any options other than the Bravewriter book clubs for middle schoolers? I'm looking for a live class.  BW is message board style.  A combination of discussion and written responses would be great. There are some options on outschool, but I was hoping for something that runs all year. 

I love teaching literature to middle school students and have loved using Zoom this year with online students. If there is a serious need for this, I will offer my literature course online next year. Personally, I think literature discussions work well online via Zoom. 

26 minutes ago, lmrich said:

I love teaching literature to middle school students and have loved using Zoom this year with online students. If there is a serious need for this, I will offer my literature course online next year. Personally, I think literature discussions work well online via Zoom. 

Well, I have yet to find anything other than what is offered on outschool, so I would say there is a need!  

Center for Lit runs live online classes, including elementary (gr 5-6) and junior high (gr 7-9).  Nine books over the year, with the aim of helping the kids love reading as well as understanding the books.  Optional writing class as well.  You can watch a recording of an entire class for the level you're interested in to help you know exactly what you're getting.  The teachers are awesome.

https://www.centerforlit.com/prospective-students

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for Center for Lit. Great book discussions! My DD has taken their classes for the last three years; I feel like she has an excellent foundation for analyzing and enjoying good books. Next year we’re moving on to something else, but will miss their great book discussions!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 4:53 PM, caffeineandbooks said:

Center for Lit runs live online classes, including elementary (gr 5-6) and junior high (gr 7-9).  Nine books over the year, with the aim of helping the kids love reading as well as understanding the books.  Optional writing class as well.  You can watch a recording of an entire class for the level you're interested in to help you know exactly what you're getting.  The teachers are awesome.

https://www.centerforlit.com/prospective-students

On 5/4/2021 at 3:35 PM, fourisenough said:

Another vote for Center for Lit. Great book discussions! My DD has taken their classes for the last three years; I feel like she has an excellent foundation for analyzing and enjoying good books. Next year we’re moving on to something else, but will miss their great book discussions!

So I looked at their website and love their book lists, but I’m not sold on the class format. Monthly two-hour discussions—I don’t think my kids would stay engaged. I watched a sample and it was mostly a lecture with minimal discussion from the kids. I wish they had a weekly or even biweekly class with more interaction among the kids. 

• Like 2

I signed up my ds for Center of Lit when he was in grade 6 because of the good reviews I read on this forum (it was his first online class), but he found the classes to be boring, and he didn't participate much. I did like the book lists too though :). 

2 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

So I looked at their website and love their book lists, but I’m not sold on the class format. Monthly two-hour discussions—I don’t think my kids would stay engaged. I watched a sample and it was mostly a lecture with minimal discussion from the kids. I wish they had a weekly or even biweekly class with more interaction among the kids. 

Yeah, I hear you. I think I felt that way in the beginning, but I grew to love the format. There is something simple and wonderful about getting to read slowly and deeply over the course of a month then doing a deep-dive analysis of it. My ADHD child did struggle with staying engaged in the 1.5-2 hour class at first, but with snacks, doodling, and stretch breaks, we figured out how to enjoy it. But, I’ll concede it isn’t for everyone. We’re switching to a weekly class next year for similar reasons. It was great for the elementary years for my kid, tho.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

I'm sorry you didn't love it (but glad you found that out before spending money!).  There is a chat box running during the live discussion but that is never recorded, so isn't visible in the samples.  Perhaps they're not the best option for your family, but if you do want to look a bit further, you might check their website in a week or two - they will advertise their summer classes sometime before the end of this month.  From memory those run in the weekly format you're looking for, but just for a month or so - last year I think they had the Penderwicks, Lord of the Rings and... I can't remember the others.  A Jane Austen maybe?

Hope you find something that fits your needs.

• 3 months later...

@lmrich 

Did you decide to offer a zoom literature class again? 

I have DS signed up for a course on outschool, but he is currently the only one enrolled and I'm concerned that it will get dropped.  

I did end up enrolling my 15yo in Center for Lit's American Literature class.  DS is not quite ready for something like that. 

It is surprising to me that I can't find more options for middle school book clubs / literature discussion. 

2 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

@lmrich 

Did you decide to offer a zoom literature class again? 

I have DS signed up for a course on outschool, but he is currently the only one enrolled and I'm concerned that it will get dropped.  

I did end up enrolling my 15yo in Center for Lit's American Literature class.  DS is not quite ready for something like that. 

It is surprising to me that I can't find more options for middle school book clubs / literature discussion. 

I am not this year - I have 20 for an in person class with a wait list of 5 more - there is obviously a need! 

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

My business partner runs really popular ones on Outschool. They often fill up, but they tend to be very lively:

https://outschool.com/teachers/Jill-Harper#usDUidZLHF

Those classes look great!  Unfortunately, DS is not a very ambitious reader.  The times are a little late for us, too.  This one  is more his speed, but  I'm hoping it gets more takers so that it will run. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@kristin0713, did your son's class work out? 

I ask because I might be interested in offering a live book club online through Zoom next semester if there is a need.

I currently teach math classes on Zoom (they are all friends' kids from my former homeschool group), but I used to lead elementary and middle school book clubs for the support group. I have studied Teaching the Classics from Center for Lit and IEW's Teaching Writing with Structure and Style. Both turned me into a language arts lover in addition to my love for math! 

32 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

@kristin0713, did your son's class work out? 

I ask because I might be interested in offering a live book club online through Zoom next semester if there is a need.

I currently teach math classes on Zoom (they are all friends' kids from my former homeschool group), but I used to lead elementary and middle school book clubs for the support group. I have studied Teaching the Classics from Center for Lit and IEW's Teaching Writing with Structure and Style. Both turned me into a language arts lover in addition to my love for math! 

I ended up putting him in a comprehensive language arts class through Open Tent. Thanks, though! 

• Like 1