Menu

Any experience with Kathryn Wall’s classes?

I think @Farrar mentioned Kathryn Wall’s classes on a recent thread, which sent me off to look into them. I’m curious if anyone has taken one or had a kid take one? I’m particularly interested in her one semester high school courses, but I also like the idea of the year-long middle school classes. Here’s a link for those unfamiliar with her:

http://kathryn-wall.com/classes/

I have heard good things from a couple of people on my college prep group whose opinions I basically trust and then had a really positive exchange with her. So I can't put out a guarantee or anything, but my impression is that they're good. Definitely worth trying if they fit what you're looking for.

• Like 2

And also various registration or technology fees of $50-100, which is often a bit hidden. This makes it pricier to mix and match single classes from various establishments, e.g. WTM Academy ($100), Blue Tent ($75), and AIM Academy ($29 going to $39). 

ETA: As far as I can tell there is no additional fee for Ms Wall’s class, or for Lukeion, CLRC, or PA Homeschoolers.

Edited by stripe
  • Like 3

So glad to see this. I think my DS14 would love the US History through Movies. Looking through her blog posts makes me think her classes will be very high quality. Her post on teaching the Harlem Renaissance through Music is the kind of different and engaging thing I'm after, especially for this kid.

I would love a class of history through pop culture as well. 

She has a PhD is US History, and I am totally willing to pay extra for that level of knowledge and insight! I don't usually outsource social sciences (now that I think of it, I never have before, LOL), but I would consider it here for sure.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 1:40 AM, Farrar said:

It's on the higher end, but honestly, in the last couple of years, I feel like the average for yearlong courses went from the 500-600 range to the 600-700 range, which I think is mostly inflation at work.

It is often the exchange rate that makes it impossible.  It doesn't matter how good the course is I simply can't pay 4% of my annual income on one course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

So a full year course works out to $600, right? If it’s $150 per six weeks. 
Actually from what I see around, this actually looks more than reasonable. Am I not calculating something right? 

It’s $150 each for the 6 week US History classes with the ungraded option; she offers five of them. So that would be $750 for ungraded and $900 for graded. She says she has a discount for enrolling in all of them, but I don’t see what that is.

• Like 1

I completed her Google form  indicating an interest in a few courses, but I haven’t heard anything. Hopefully she’s just running behind at the end of the semester and will update soon. Her site still says:

If you are interested in classes for the 2021-2022 academic year, please fill out the interest form here: https://forms.gle/sXxaTSa3yuYJEbqy6 I will use the responses on the interest form to help me schedule course offerings and will open registration by mid-April 2021.

I've known Kathy for many years! Our daughters first met at age 4 and 5 (now 16 and 17) and have been friends since, and we've bounced around in the same circles since. She's incredibly knowledgeable about the topics she teaches, but she's also a great teacher to a wide range of ages, and she knows what it's like to be a homeschool parent. I'd recommend any of her courses without hesitation. (I haven't posted here in a while but I've been on the boards for the past 10 years, coming and going as I have time! Just a coincidence that I came on today and saw this!)

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, deerforest said:

... (I haven't posted here in a while but I've been on the boards for the past 10 years, coming and going as I have time! Just a coincidence that I came on today and saw this!)...

So nice to "see" you @deerforest! How is your circus-arts-based DD doing -- she must be a junior or senior this year! How are you? Great to see you drop in again. Warmest regards, Lori D.

8 hours ago, deerforest said:

I've known Kathy for many years! Our daughters first met at age 4 and 5 (now 16 and 17) and have been friends since, and we've bounced around in the same circles since. She's incredibly knowledgeable about the topics she teaches, but she's also a great teacher to a wide range of ages, and she knows what it's like to be a homeschool parent. I'd recommend any of her courses without hesitation. (I haven't posted here in a while but I've been on the boards for the past 10 years, coming and going as I have time! Just a coincidence that I came on today and saw this!)

Thanks for your personal endorsement! Any idea when she’ll post her fall class offerings and schedule? I’m really interested, but want to get something nailed down soon.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:55 PM, fourisenough said:

Thanks for your personal endorsement! Any idea when she’ll post her fall class offerings and schedule? I’m really interested, but want to get something nailed down soon.

I honestly don't -- I saw that she said mid April on her site and I emailed her too. Her summers are usually pretty busy but I'm sure she'll post an update!

On 5/16/2021 at 12:44 PM, Lori D. said:

So nice to "see" you @deerforest! How is your circus-arts-based DD doing -- she must be a junior or senior this year! How are you? Great to see you drop in again. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Ah, @Lori D. so nice of you to remember! Well, the pandemic has nearly killed all arts including circus, but it's been an opportunity to rebuild and redefine itself. She loves chemistry with Connie so much that has dabbled with getting a chem degree but is still determined to go the circus school route! She's finishing her junior year now so one more official year and then has always planned to do a gap year. She already has about 2-3 opportunities popping up for that year, so I think it's going to be ok!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, deerforest said:

Ah, @Lori D. so nice of you to remember! Well, the pandemic has nearly killed all arts including circus, but it's been an opportunity to rebuild and redefine itself. She loves chemistry with Connie so much that has dabbled with getting a chem degree but is still determined to go the circus school route! She's finishing her junior year now so one more official year and then has always planned to do a gap year. She already has about 2-3 opportunities popping up for that year, so I think it's going to be ok!

I just wanted to say I love hearing this update! I'm glad she's emerging from the pandemic with her interest strong but new possibilities too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...