Menu

Summer School

If you could please share summer school ideas that you have experience with and would recommend, I would appreciate it. Could be online homeschool type places, or suggestions for online dual enrollment. My local community college offers summer school, and I am looking for additional options. I have looked at quite a few, but am starting to get overwhelmed. I have seen lists and found some on my own, but I would like particular recommendations. Can be for any core class; we don’t need health/PE/foreign language. 

(This is for accelerating HS purposes.)

• Like 1

For online DE, off the top of my head I know UT Austin offers asynchronous classes in a wide range of subjects. Most of them fulfill Texas' core courses for college students. I've never used it because it costs quite a bit more than the equivalent class at our CC which offers free tuition for DE. Another option is ASU online. That one allows you to take the class and then decide if you want credit. If this is a first dip into DE, I think this is the best idea because you don't risk a permanent bad grade if your student isn't ready. Another low risk option is to use Modern States to CLEP a class. If you choose a more complicated subject like math, I'd look for a MOOC to cover the material first and then use Modern States to review. If you choose a lighter subject like Sociology, Modern States and a textbook (or prep book or even a For Dummies) will give you good coverage of the subject.

• Like 2

Just a few fast ideas...

DeVry University -- advertises year-round online courses that start every 8 weeks. I couldn't tell from that webpage if that included dual enrollment.
Time 4 Learning -- very light, but all online, self-paced, covers all of the core subjects
BYU Online High School -- year-round Independent courses

English
Lantern English - 8-week courses in Writing, Literature (separate); summer session runs June 14-Aug; enrollment opens May 24

Math
ALEKS - self-paced online
Derek Owens - self-paced online classes

Science
ALEKS: Chemistry - self-paced online
- MOOC (no lab) -- Coursea, EdX, MIT, or other free open source courses; DIY at home, self-paced

Social Studies
- Teaching Company lecture series -- DIY at home, self-paced

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stripe said:

Thank you! The trouble with ASU is that they seem to offer a TON of classes starting in June and not any other time. 😯

Yeah, they have 6 periods a year and students take 2 or 3 classes each time for a full load. 

Adding to @Lori D.'s list: AOPS has summer math classes and Brave Writer has summer writing and lit classes. Dd has done both and they were excellent choices, just as they are during the school year.

Another choice for taped asynchronous classes is Homeschool Connections. 

https://homeschoolconnectionsonline.com/

This is a Catholic provider that offers lots of everything both taped and live. For the taped classes you can opt for grading and/or tutoring. Some of their lit, philosophy and history courses are very Catholic in the way that BJU is very Protestant. But, there is a lot to pick from and since it's a monthly subscription to their whole catalog, you'll still get your money's worth if you avoid those classes. They offer science classes that use secular textbooks and several options for math. Dd did a study skills class with them that was live and I thought it was well done.

• Like 2

Very check-the-box option is SVHS: Online High School Courses - Course Catalog - Silicon Valley High School (svhs.co)

ETA- I have a friend who use this for a "get er done" option. It was fine, but in more of a "Khan Academy with a teacher grading things" kind of way.

Khan Academy would be an option, too, depending on the goals.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

I have a friend who use this for a "get er done" option. It was fine, but in more of a "Khan Academy with a teacher grading things" kind of way.

In my case, this type of thing never gets done. Ha! But I appreciate the suggestion!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, stripe said:

Are the classes from Lantern English (besides Faith & Literature) religious?

My understanding from what others on these boards have said, while the instructors are Christians, there is no religious content. (except for the course you mentioned)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

For students who qualify, the THINK program at UNR is online this summer. L did it in person the last summer they had it-in person, it's two college classes in 3 weeks, which was very intense. Online, they're only doing one class in that period. A big part of the program is giving 13-16 yr olds a chance to be in classes with people who are both their age and still have the college academics, which made them valuable for my kid. 

Here are two online summer intensives — one in Science, the other in Shakespeare:

1) Anatomical Systems: Tuesdays & Fridays, June 4 – July 30
https://hscollegebound.com/Science-Intensives.htm#Anatomical
Instructor: Diane Speed

2) Shakespeare's Twelfth Night: Tuesdays & Fridays, June 4 - 29
https://hscollegebound.com/Roy-Speed-Twelfth-Night.htm
Instructor: Roy Speed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...