Menu

Kids letter toy annoyance

LauraClark

As I'm working on teaching child #3 his letters I am annoyed all over again with child toys and letter-help papers I want to print.  Is it really so hard to come up with a word that makes the hard 'g' sound?  Why do so many of them have 'giraffe'?  I had one book that had 'sheep' for the letter 's'.  Or mixing both the long and short sounds of vowels together: 'igloo' and 'ice cream' on the same thing. Drives me crazy!  Rant ended 😉

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My personal award for worst one is the chart by TGTB that has a chameleon for the letter "i". Yup. I'm sure it is SUPPOSED to be an iguana, which is silly enough since I don't think most preschoolers can recognize an iguana on sight and would think it was a "lizard". But it isn't even an ACTUAL iguana, it's a chameleon!

So yeah, right there with you! (I think that one may also have a sheep for "s") 

I literally went around muttering to myself about this for days. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

My personal award for worst one is the chart by TGTB that has a chameleon for the letter "i". Yup. I'm sure it is SUPPOSED to be an iguana, which is silly enough since I don't think most preschoolers can recognize an iguana on sight and would think it was a "lizard". But it isn't even an ACTUAL iguana, it's a chameleon!

This reminds me of the *many* Noah’s Arks with two male lions…

• Haha 5

It bothers me when the letter books for toddlers have multiple “sh” words for “s.” Like yes the shark is cool but can I just teach a letter sound please?? I don’t even want to talk about the “C” page which features cats, celery, and cherries  😒

I also have a letter lift-a-flap book for my son, and the only two pictures for “T” are “truck” and “tree,” neither of which give a true “t” sound. Honestly who’s writing these books? They aren’t thinking. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...