Menu

Cultural / traditional clothing: questions

MercyA

On 3/10/2021 at 7:44 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

As for Jesus loving all the children of the world, it would be easy to put up a map or a picture of earth with everyday pictures of kids from various places.  I don't know that it would be "wrong" per se to show people in traditional clothing but I think that it's lazy a bit and can contribute to stereotypes especially for children who may never think of kids from these other places as dressing the same as them. 

What distinction are we making here between “traditional” clothing and everyday clothing? I’m thinking of my time in Ecuador, where the indigenous people definitely had a different style of everyday clothing, especially for women. It was traditional, but also everyday, not for special occasions. I think it would be less respectful of that culture to show a child labeled as indigenous in purely American style clothing, as that is not what they actually wear ( really, it is often a mixture of traditional and modern clothing).

• Like 3

@Dreamergal, my daughter would like to know how you view people wearing a bindi for non-religious reasons. When you see it, do you always or almost always associate it with religion, or has it become / is it also just a kind of makeup? Is it offensive for non-Hindu, non-Buddhist, non-Jain people to wear one? She thinks they are pretty.

Thank you! 

This reminds me of the mom who threw her little girl a Japanese themed birthday party and the little girl dressed in a kimono and painted her face.  The mom was called a racist.  I don't think it was wrong as they were treating everything with respect.  What are your thoughts?  

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/08/02/japanese-birthday-party_a_23061529/

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
adding article

8 hours ago, Emba said:

What distinction are we making here between “traditional” clothing and everyday clothing? I’m thinking of my time in Ecuador, where the indigenous people definitely had a different style of everyday clothing, especially for women. It was traditional, but also everyday, not for special occasions. I think it would be less respectful of that culture to show a child labeled as indigenous in purely American style clothing, as that is not what they actually wear ( really, it is often a mixture of traditional and modern clothing).

If you read what I said, it was “everyday pictures of kids from various places “. I never said that they had to be in jeans and a t-shirt.

5 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

This reminds me of the mom who threw her little girl a Japanese themed birthday party and the little girl dressed in a kimono and painted her face.  The mom was called a racist.  I don't think it was wrong as they were treating everything with respect.  What are your thoughts?  

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/08/02/japanese-birthday-party_a_23061529/

A Japanese theme, Japanese food and Japanese dress don’t bother me. Painting the face does. 

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

With a post that doesn't actually advance the discussion.  It's just a "dictionary definition" with no reply to the original post.  Is it a bot?  Someone who likes to log into totally new sites to show off their dictionary skills? 

I would not be the least bit surprised if someone is doing a google search for cultural appropriation TBH. 

I found the forums because every single time I looked for curriculum reviews, I would land here and get an earful. I lurked for quite a while before joining. The chat board is all over the map with topics, and it has gotten more so the longer I've been part of the community.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1