Menu

March Well-Trained Bodies

Laura Corin

Did the dumbbell workout this morning. And for the first time since the November finger injury I used the max weight for each exercise that I've ever used (ie back to my normal). That's 3 lb for the initial shoulder exercises, 5 lb for other "lighter weight" exercises, 10 lb for the single weight exercises, 8 lb for the "heavier weight" exercises with 2 weights.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Did the dumbbell workout this morning. And for the first time since the November finger injury I used the max weight for each exercise that I've ever used (ie back to my normal). That's 3 lb for the initial shoulder exercises, 5 lb for other "lighter weight" exercises, 10 lb for the single weight exercises, 8 lb for the "heavier weight" exercises with 2 weights.

That's wonderful, it is so nice to see things back to normal.

Workout done, felt hard today but I did it.

• Like 3

30 min on the treadmill this morning. We'll get to about 60° here today--I'm thinking I'll be grilling our pizzas outside tonight (unless I'm exhausted). Tastes like a wood-fired pizza (charcoal grill)--our favorite of the homemade pizza techniques. But cast iron is really good too if I don't want to get the grill going.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2021 at 4:28 PM, Soror said:

Workout done, felt hard today but I did it.

That's the main thing, isn't it?  Sometimes with yoga I find that I don't have the energy I thought I have, but having chosen a particular sequence I almost always complete it, even if I have to modify on the way through.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:04 AM, wintermom said:

We've had a major melt here and the snow is fading fast. This means wet and slushy walking with lots of puddles. My shoes got soaked on both my walks today, but that's alright because it feels like spring! 😃

It lifts the heart, doesn't it?  Our snowdrops are starting to fade, the crocuses are out in my window boxes and the daffodils are close.

I sent my hiking boots to be re-soled after I realised when it was icy how far the tread had worn down.  It's an old-school firm where you just send off your boots with a cheque and they email to confirm.  The completion date is the beginning of June!  Oops.  I've bought some Gore-Tex Merrell walking shoes, as the waterproofing on my old walking shoes had finally failed, so I'll just have to cope with those until June.

11 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

30 min on the treadmill this morning. We'll get to about 60° here today--I'm thinking I'll be grilling our pizzas outside tonight (unless I'm exhausted). Tastes like a wood-fired pizza (charcoal grill)--our favorite of the homemade pizza techniques. But cast iron is really good too if I don't want to get the grill going.

That sounds like fun.  We were back to a 'feels like' temperature of around freezing today but we've had some very warm days recently.  I ran after work - pretty cold and some sleet, but the run went well.  I ran through a flat bit of the campus, which is pretty free of people still.  Sleeping badly at present - oh well.  I think my brain is very engaged by the module I'm studying and is having a hard time switching off.

I've managed to get back to doing my pelvic floor exercises regularly again.  Working from home disrupted my schedule (I used to do them during my commute) and I started developing pee problems when I ran.  With a lot of work over the past few weeks, that seems to have gone away again, thank goodness.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

It lifts the heart, doesn't it?  Our snowdrops are starting to fade, the crocuses are out in my window boxes and the daffodils are close.

I sent my hiking boots to be re-soled after I realised when it was icy how far the tread had worn down.  It's an old-school firm where you just send off your boots with a cheque and they email to confirm.  The completion date is the beginning of June!  Oops.  I've bought some Gore-Tex Merrell walking shoes, as the waterproofing on my old walking shoes had finally failed, so I'll just have to cope with those until June.

Well my springtime dreams were crushed yesterday evening. It went from green grass and puddles to a white-out with snow blowing almost sideways. So cruel! 😬 

I'm in need of new footwear, too. My feet are starting to ache, especially the balls of my feet. I'd love some waterproof hiking/walking shoes. Do your Merrells provide good cushioning on hard road surfaces for in-town walking?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I'm in need of new footwear, too. My feet are starting to ache, especially the balls of my feet. I'd love some waterproof hiking/walking shoes. Do your Merrells provide good cushioning on hard road surfaces for in-town walking?

I find they do. I have these @Soror - they are for walking - https://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/accentor-sport-gore-tex/36352W.html

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

That's the main thing, isn't it?  Sometimes with yoga I find that I don't have the energy I thought I have, but having chosen a particular sequence I almost always complete it, even if I have to modify on the way through.

That sounds like fun.  We were back to a 'feels like' temperature of around freezing today but we've had some very warm days recently.  I ran after work - pretty cold and some sleet, but the run went well.  I ran through a flat bit of the campus, which is pretty free of people still.  Sleeping badly at present - oh well.  I think my brain is very engaged by the module I'm studying and is having a hard time switching off.

I've managed to get back to doing my pelvic floor exercises regularly again.  Working from home disrupted my schedule (I used to do them during my commute) and I started developing pee problems when I ran.  With a lot of work over the past few weeks, that seems to have gone away again, thank goodness.

I've been looking for some new trail shoes but keep ordering the wrong size. Merrel's are always my favorite, they just fit my feet well. I still have lots of wear in my Ecco's that are waterproof but they are heavier and stiffer with them being waterproof. I want some regular ones for every day walking. Which version did you end up going with? The ones I ordered last time (5 yrs ago now) are no longer made. Last ones I tried were Trail Glove's I think they will be good but I ordered the wrong size last time. 

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Well my springtime dreams were crushed yesterday evening. It went from green grass and puddles to a white-out with snow blowing almost sideways. So cruel! 😬 

Aw man, that stinks. Will you get more skiing?

Cardio workout done. First phase of workout program done. I had 3 really sucky workouts last Fri, Sat and this Monday but I made it through. 

I'm nervous about next week. I'm not that coordinated and the moves are supposed to be more complex. I imagine this first week I'll be stumbling through some of it. I'm also nervous because I am getting my 2nd shot Wed afternoon (ya!). I have no idea of how it will affect me. I hate to miss workouts and will try to make it through if I can so I don't throw off my calendar but I might not be able to.

I'm going to weigh and measure again on Monday and see where I am. I'm actually going to write things down this time and measure more. Last time I just did hips and mid stomach. I'm hoping to be down 2 lbs from where I started. I'm hoping for 2-3 lbs this next month. I'd like to get back lower in my preferred range and now that I'm in the groove with eating and working out it is easier to stay there.

• Like 3

Did a 30 min yoga this morning. I have to finish off the last 3 hours of a math conference this morning which starts at 9:00, so not as much time for Saturday morning lingering today. Gorgeous sun streaming through the window!

@Soror I would plan for Thursday to be a nothing day. For me, the day after my shot (15-16 hours later) was when the chills and fever hit and I spent the day on the sofa napping and watching Netflix. But I actually did get in my yoga that morning first--it really hit an hour or two after that. 

• Like 3

I chose to hike rather than ski this morning, and I think it was a great choice! The trails were excellent - still quite frozen which is better than the slush and giant puddles.  For those of you who don't get winter where things freeze over for months at a time, there are a couple photos of the 'melt down' interval between truly frozen and truly liquid again. It's the most dangerous time to attempt to be out on the ice, though it looks so fascinating.

IMG_20210313_102349661.jpg

IMG_20210313_094628127.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Did a 30 min yoga this morning. I have to finish off the last 3 hours of a math conference this morning which starts at 9:00, so not as much time for Saturday morning lingering today. Gorgeous sun streaming through the window!

@Soror I would plan for Thursday to be a nothing day. For me, the day after my shot (15-16 hours later) was when the chills and fever hit and I spent the day on the sofa napping and watching Netflix. But I actually did get in my yoga that morning first--it really hit an hour or two after that. 

Thank you for your input. I took off from teaching Thurs morning just in case. I'll make sure I go ahead and work out as soon as I wake up as long as I feel well. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a workout in before I feel bad (or even luckier don't feel too bad).

• Like 2

I like Merrells because of the wide toe box. Same with Oboz. 

Short walk yesterday up the hill behind the hospital where Husband was being vaccinated.  It was so efficient that I didn't have long. Yin yoga at bedtime to try to calm down and sleep better. It, or something,  worked.

Today I'm heading over to my mum's care home to drop off supplies.  I'll go running in a forest plantation on the way, if I  can find change for the car park. The 'feels like' temperature is around freezing, but better sheltered in the trees.

Today's inspiration 

BBC News - Almost 100 and still dancing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-56351673

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I like Merrells because of the wide toe box. Same with Oboz. 

Short walk yesterday up the hill behind the hospital where Husband was being vaccinated.  It was so efficient that I didn't have long. Yin yoga at bedtime to try to calm down and sleep better. It, or something,  worked.

Today I'm heading over to my mum's care home to drop off supplies.  I'll go running in a forest plantation on the way, if I  can find change for the car park. The 'feels like' temperature is around freezing, but better sheltered in the trees.

Today's inspiration 

BBC News - Almost 100 and still dancing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-56351673

I am very glad to hear your husband got vaccinated. How many tiers to go before it is your turn? I know they are doing it by age but didnt know the width of the age bands. 

Thank you for the inspiring article.

I love the wide toe box of Merrell too. 

Shortish ramble through the woods yesterday. Yoga planned this am. Might go on a hike today. Dh is concerned about the rain coming in. The area we planned to go to is very rocky and rough and could be slippery if raining and a definite no go if we have thunderstorms.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Soror said:

I am very glad to hear your husband got vaccinated. How many tiers to go before it is your turn? I know they are doing it by age but didnt know the width of the age bands. 

They are starting to send out blue envelopes to my cohort from tomorrow. It's five-year bands at present, I think. 

• Like 3

Hi guys!  I quit frequenting these threads for a while because I've been so bad about exercise.  I had to stop taking long daily walks because of work and kid responsibilities.  I am still holding out hope of getting back to that, somehow!

We had missed a lot of TKD also, but we are back trying to do 2-3x per week.  We weren't ready for yesterday's belt test, but they say maybe we could do the "make-up" in a couple of weeks.  I hope so, but one of my kids is now doing high school track, which is a pretty good workout.  Until her body gets used to that, I don't want to make her do TKD and track on the same days.

I've also done a fair amount of physical work in my house.  Did a lot of cleaning / purging and moving heavy things around.  So that counts IMO.  It is also great for my mood - especially what I did in my bedroom - and hopefully improves my efficiency - which will hopefully open up more time for exercise.

Yesterday was the first day in a while that I did all 3 of what should be daily: yoga, TKD form practice, and walking.  Today I've done the first 2.  Not sure if I will do the 3rd, because we're going to visit puppies.

If all goes well, we'll have an 8.5-week-old puppy next weekend.  I need to study about how to train the pup and provide the right amount of activity by age, and when the time is right, I'll work that into my exercise.  Looking forward to nice walks with a companion that doesn't talk too much, LOL.

• Like 5

Super windy here today. There were crazy snow flurries in the morning, which thankfully stopped and it's been sunny all day. I met a friend and we were going to walk together, but because of the wind we decided to chat over tea instead. I've done one dog walk and will probably walk one more time. 

• Like 4

On 3/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, Laura Corin said:

They are starting to send out blue envelopes to my cohort from tomorrow. It's five-year bands at present, I think. 

Ya!!! Once you get your envelope how long until you can get an appointment?

21 hours ago, SKL said:

Hi guys!  I quit frequenting these threads for a while because I've been so bad about exercise.  I had to stop taking long daily walks because of work and kid responsibilities.  I am still holding out hope of getting back to that, somehow!

We had missed a lot of TKD also, but we are back trying to do 2-3x per week.  We weren't ready for yesterday's belt test, but they say maybe we could do the "make-up" in a couple of weeks.  I hope so, but one of my kids is now doing high school track, which is a pretty good workout.  Until her body gets used to that, I don't want to make her do TKD and track on the same days.

I've also done a fair amount of physical work in my house.  Did a lot of cleaning / purging and moving heavy things around.  So that counts IMO.  It is also great for my mood - especially what I did in my bedroom - and hopefully improves my efficiency - which will hopefully open up more time for exercise.

Yesterday was the first day in a while that I did all 3 of what should be daily: yoga, TKD form practice, and walking.  Today I've done the first 2.  Not sure if I will do the 3rd, because we're going to visit puppies.

If all goes well, we'll have an 8.5-week-old puppy next weekend.  I need to study about how to train the pup and provide the right amount of activity by age, and when the time is right, I'll work that into my exercise.  Looking forward to nice walks with a companion that doesn't talk too much, LOL.

Hello again! Good for you for getting aback in the swing of things. Sometimes life gets in the way. It is hard to get back to it.

• Like 1

Butt workout done. Half before teaching and half after since I started teaching later.

I did fine with the moves, they challenge the muscles but none were too difficult to figure out. I need heavier weights for some things but weights are so expensive right now. I'll just have to buy a couple at a time.

We did not get a hike yesterday. Dh tweaked his back a bit. Hopefully, next weekend.

Totals from this last month:

2.4 lbs down; 1/2 in down from thighs; 3/4 inch from waist

• Like 3

Did my "yoga etc." and TKD practice for a third day in a row.  Here's hoping it continues!  I think the trick is to try to do it right after waking up, before anyone even knows they have a chance to bother me.  Failing that, when nobody else is downstairs yet.  Of course that means I can't stay in bed until the last possible moment before driving my kids to school etc....

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Soror said:

Ya!!! Once you get your envelope how long until you can get an appointment?

Husband got his envelope last Monday for an appointment five days later.  The appointment time and place is stated in the letter - you only contact them if it's impossible to get to it.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, SKL said:

I think the trick is to try to do it right after waking up, before anyone even knows they have a chance to bother me.  Failing that, when nobody else is downstairs yet.  Of course that means I can't stay in bed until the last possible moment before driving my kids to school etc....

This is me. I have exercised before everyone else is awake since the kids were little--the only time fully available! But I'm also a morning person--that's when I have the most energy.

Did 30 min on the treadmill this morning. Long day at the desk ahead of me--8:30 meeting and 3:15 meeting in addition to school. Did I mention I got bumped up to 8 hours/day? I was already working it--now I get paid it.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Husband got his envelope last Monday for an appointment five days later.  The appointment time and place is stated in the letter - you only contact them if it's impossible to get to it.

Soon for you then!

21 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

This is me. I have exercised before everyone else is awake since the kids were little--the only time fully available! But I'm also a morning person--that's when I have the most energy.

Did 30 min on the treadmill this morning. Long day at the desk ahead of me--8:30 meeting and 3:15 meeting in addition to school. Did I mention I got bumped up to 8 hours/day? I was already working it--now I get paid it.

Congratulations!!!

Butt is sore today. Cardio for the workout, not my favorite but it is a shorter workout.

Food and exercise going well. Outside time has been lacking.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Soror said:

Soon for you then!

Blue Envelope arrived today!  My appointment is on Sunday.  So excited!

Balance yoga last night - I was pretty rubbish at it but I perservered.  Nice walk with the dog yesterday too

Today - working through lunch and leaving work early to go running.

• Like 3

4th day of doing both "yoga, etc." and TKD practice.

Last night we made it to TKD class.  I hurt my toe, but hopefully it will stop hurting before the next class.  (Planning to go again on Wednesday.)

Still did not get to go out and walk.

• Like 4

Bodyweight circuit x2 and yoga for flexibility, both with cat help.  You ever do pushups over a cat? Not so easy. and when I'm in a plank on my elbows, he decides my fingers are free to skritch his ears. It actually helps to keep me distracted and not watch the timer.

Oldest turns 24 today. But she woke up very unhappy--screaming and crying. Pretty sure it's time change issues. We would all like to wake up screaming and crying--we've just been socialized out of it. Anyway, got her ready for her day and then put her back down for a nap. There will be fattening celebratory foods tonight but in general my eating has been good enough to get the weight down a bit. Other than tonight, will try to be extra vigilant for the next week, anticipating a blood draw about a week from now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm managing to fit in several small walks everyday, but that's about it for now. Life's pretty hectic, but so far I'm able to keep on top of things. 

Just keep swimming! Adjusting to a new routine is hard.

2 hours ago, SKL said:

5th day of doing "yoga etc." + TKD form practice.

Still no serious walking done this week.  We did go shopping at PetSmart last night, does that count?

Ya! Shopping totally counts 🙂

I don't know if it is not so great sleep (got to bed late and awoken in the night) or just that the workouts are harder but I'm really feeling the challenge this week with exercise. I felt uncoordinated on a few of the moves today but I made it through. My shot is in 3 hrs!

• Like 3

30 min on the treadmill this morning. I have the day off work (parent conferences, again), and so far I'm doing a lot of nothing. Mostly just planning on catching up on home chores, paperwork, etc. We've got some sun, but it's still in the 30's, so I'm happy sitting on the sofa with my sofa-loving lab. Pre-pandemic we didn't allow such things, but she's decided this is her very favorite place to be and we've kind of let her.

Dd is having a happier day today. Never underestimate the power of the time change to really mess with you. We see it so clearly in her. Thankfully no seizures yet this time around, but yesterday was definitely an off day.

@Soror congrats on second shot! Hope it doesn't hit you too hard.

• Like 3

I haven't been checking in because we've started calving and so have been pretty busy. I have been fitting workouts in on some days, I've just started week 4 of 9 week control freak. Other days, like Monday, I log 10 miles and burn 4600 calories just doing calving work 😂 I'll try to attach a couple pictures of our newest additions.

IMG_20210317_103842.jpg

IMG_20210317_103441.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@FarmingMomma that's lots of very productive exercise! 

I took today off work to finish an essay, so I also had time to run at low tide. 15 degrees  C, sunny with no wind! It felt really warm. My first 25-minute run. I took it very steadily and it was fine.

Last night I did a 30-minute side body Yin yoga, which was a great wind down after class and before bed. Yesterday was really busy with work - I didn't manage to set foot outside.

• Like 3

Did my dumbbell workout this morning with my regular weights. Yesterday was one of those 30° swings--low 30's in the morning, but we made it to 63°. The weather guy says that's over for awhile. Colder and rainy today. And it's looking like a colder, rainy spring break next week.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, FarmingMomma said:

I haven't been checking in because we've started calving and so have been pretty busy. I have been fitting workouts in on some days, I've just started week 4 of 9 week control freak. Other days, like Monday, I log 10 miles and burn 4600 calories just doing calving work 😂 I'll try to attach a couple pictures of our newest additions.

Those calves are so adorable! Congratulations and hope the calving goes really smoothly for everyone. Will you get to do some bottle feeding? 

22 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@FarmingMomma that's lots of very productive exercise! 

I took today off work to finish an essay, so I also had time to run at low tide. 15 degrees  C, sunny with no wind! It felt really warm. My first 25-minute run. I took it very steadily and it was fine.

Last night I did a 30-minute side body Yin yoga, which was a great wind down after class and before bed. Yesterday was really busy with work - I didn't manage to set foot outside.

Great job with the essay and the run! Glad you're completely recovered and able to do your yoga again. I really need to get in more stretching and strength work like I was doing a year ago.

21 hours ago, SKL said:

6th day of doing "yoga etc." and TKD form practice this morning.

We made it to TKD class last night.

Today it's raining ... hope I will have the time and inclination to walk later anyway ....

Super job! Glad your TKD is still going on. I just noticed my old dojang is shut down. Probably a casualty of Covid. So sad. 😌

20 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Did my dumbbell workout this morning with my regular weights. Yesterday was one of those 30° swings--low 30's in the morning, but we made it to 63°. The weather guy says that's over for awhile. Colder and rainy today. And it's looking like a colder, rainy spring break next week.

Great job on the weight training work-out! Hope your weather warms up for your break next week!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Soror said:

Workout done this morning. Was feeling a bit blech but made it through taking it fairly easy. Waiting to see how I feel as the day progresses.

Glad you're doing well after your second vaccination. It will be many months before I'll have an opportunity to get mine.

• Like 2

The weather is remaining warm for the most part. I put my skis and snowshoes away for the year. Sad, but I got in a lot of amazing ski sessions this winter. No complaints at all. Time to move on to new things

Dh has already played outdoor tennis this week, so I'm excited to get out on the court soon. I want to get my bike out pretty soon, too, though the trails won't be clear for a while. Not sure I'm that thrilled about biking on the roads.

• Like 4

I did not sleep well last night--too much excitement late in the day and my brain just would not fall asleep. I went out to the sofa but was probably still awake past 1:00 or 2:00. The excitement was just watching my dd play soccer and they beat their crosstown rivals, she got into another school yesterday (we were worrying she could easily be rejected at all of her remaining schools), and I was part of a Zoom interview for an open administrative position at our school and was so happy with one of the candidates--had to stay up late writing my survey response on that.

Anyway, subbing again today, then it's spring break. Woohoo!

• Like 3

Workout done, back to 100% after 2nd Pfizer. I did not miss any workouts although Thurs am wasn't awesome I made it through. Today I'm hoping to get some yard and house work done.

Counting down the days until full immunity, 11 to go!

• Like 3

Did a 45 minute yoga which is long for me. We're at the beginning of spring break, so I feel like I have more of a 10-day list of things to work on rather than a list of things to get done today. But I think I'll try to do the basic housecleaning today. It's also supposed to be relatively cool, and many days will be rainy, so we'll plan the outdoor projects for nicer days. We'll be starting a path or two of pavers, but the sand, gravel, and rocks don't arrive until Monday.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 5:49 AM, wintermom said:

Those calves are so adorable! Congratulations and hope the calving goes really smoothly for everyone. Will you get to do some bottle feeding? 

We haven't had to bottle feed any yet, but I'm sure there'll be some bottle-feeding at some point.  We haven't had many first-calf heifers calve yet, mostly older cows who know what they're doing, so it's been pretty smooth so far.

Edited by FarmingMomma
  • Like 4

It was a gorgeous early spring day today. I went for my first bike ride of the season!! It felt so good to be out riding around the neighbourhood. Dh and I are playing tennis with friends tomorrow. Can't wait!  I've been so fortunate to be able to transition smoothly and quickly from my winter sports to my spring/summer ones, at least to far. There could still be snow storms ahead - this is the Great White North. 😂

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It was a gorgeous early spring day today. I went for my first bike ride of the season!! It felt so good to be out riding around the neighbourhood. Dh and I are playing tennis with friends tomorrow. Can't wait!  I've been so fortunate to be able to transition smoothly and quickly from my winter sports to my spring/summer ones, at least to far. There could still be snow storms ahead - this is the Great White North. 😂

It was a pretty nice day here in BC too.  We tagged some calves, I did a 9 week control freak workout (total body tone) and took a short, very muddy walk with the dogs.  We were visiting with the neighbors and discovered that a big chunk of their lawn was melted off, so we got out the spikeball set I got the kids for Christmas and played over there with their kids.  It takes some practice but we had a lot of fun and it's definitely a good workout as well.  They all want to play again tomorrow.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

It was a pretty nice day here in BC too.  We tagged some calves, I did a 9 week control freak workout (total body tone) and took a short, very muddy walk with the dogs.  We were visiting with the neighbors and discovered that a big chunk of their lawn was melted off, so we got out the spikeball set I got the kids for Christmas and played over there with their kids.  It takes some practice but we had a lot of fun and it's definitely a good workout as well.  They all want to play again tomorrow.

Sounds like a fun and busy day!

That spikeball game looks really cool. It may be worth investing in for my gang, as our backyard volleyball was very popular last spring but was annoying to keep losing the ball in the neighbours backyard. 

• Like 3