Menu

Never thought this is what my college senior would be learning

Bootsie

Uggh.  DS is a college senior and is learning more about filing for unemployment insurance benefits than anything else.  His employer went out of business last spring.  DS navigated the process of filing for unemployment, which wasn't easy given that the state system was so backed up.  One of the managers from his employer went to work at another company and offered him a job.  He took the job, although it was hard work and only 50-75% of the pay he would make remaining on unemployment.  He just didn't feel right about being on unemployment when he did have an option to work (and wanted to build options for the future).  Now, that company has closed down locally--so he is back to filing for unemployment.  

Financially he is OK because he lives at home, but emotionally it is difficult for a young person who WANTS to work to lose two jobs in nine months.  He had just really gotten into his college major when COVID hit. He had a study abroad program and a leadership program, which would have given him opportunities to get to know the professors in his field cancelled.  Internship opportunities were cancelled.  He applied for a training program and missed the cut (30 out of over 3000 applicants accepted). So, he is in a situation of spending his time meeting his college requirements by taking a dry South American history course and online Tae Kwon Do PE courses, rather than doing the things that would really help prepare him for a career.

• Sad 18

I think it’s this generation—high school through launching after college—that’s taking the biggest hit. Younger kids have time to make up what isn’t currently being learned (and it’s generational and worldwide, so I think overall they’ll be ok because it’s a shared experience and they have time on their side) and older folks are more settled (not saying it’s not hard, but generationally Millenials and up already have careers and so forth).

But this age group is missing out on the very things necessary for taking their first steps into adulthood. That means delayed education, delayed maturity, delayed careers, delayed homeownership, delayed marriage and families. On a generational—not individual— level, that has huge consequences. We’ve seen it bear out for the Millenial generation (gen x had its own recession coming out of college but we’ve had time to recover, overall, plus we are small and relatively insignificant) and the social shifts are undeniable. 

I hope they prove to become Generation Resilience. 

• Like 11

I know that everyone across the board is being hard hit, but it is definitely hitting different age groups differently.  I see this with DS but also with many of the college students I teach.  They are at an age developmentally at which they are ready to move on to more responsibility, independence, and finding their unique path.  They are also at an age with lots of energy and at peak physical performance.  For many staying in college right now is not really about getting an education and preparing for the future, it is about checking off boxes to meet requirements.  Of course, this can vary widely depending on the field of study.  But many young people do not have a lot of other work, travel, volunteer options to develop skills.  They are simply in a holding pattern.  DS knows intellectually it is not his fault, but at an emotional level it feels like a failure to be in your early twenties and applying for unemployment for the second time.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

These kids are really being dealt a poop sandwich the last few years and I suspect for a few years to come.  I really do feel for my older kids and others their ages. It really is a whole other ballgame for them getting started in the adult world than it was for my husband and I 30 years ago. All the things Dh and I were able to do to get by in rough times are so much harder for these kids or isn’t even an option.  I mean for example getting married at 19 might not have been smart financially but it was very doable to get a job and pay the bills.  Married or not nearly everyone in my generation moved out and started on their own for the most part at 18-21.  

• Like 6

It’s really frustrating to watch. My Ds is a college junior and was also supposed to study abroad and intern. Now, he’s just at home doing Zoom classes and feeling anxious about the future. He had originally wanted to take a year or two and work before considering grad school but now I think he’ll just go directly. I know we’re fortunate to be able to help him with that and that it’s an option but it’s only because there’s really nothing else for him to do.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I think it’s this generation—high school through launching after college—that’s taking the biggest hit.

I think those launching after college might see similar effects (as a group) as those who launched into the recession - it took about ten years for the earnings losses to dissipate. 

• Like 2

For another example. My son has been waiting 4 months to get his appt today to take the drivers written test for a permit and had to book it for over an hour away to even get that. And now all of Oklahoma is snowed in and he can’t get an appt at all.  The entire state lists every dmv as no appointment available to make for the next months.

• Sad 6

8 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

For another example. My son has been waiting 4 months to get his appt today to take the drivers written test for a permit and had to book it for over an hour away to even get that. And now all of Oklahoma is snowed in and he can’t get an appt at all.  The entire state lists every dmv as no appointment available to make for the next months.

Look up driver's schools and title companies in your area. In my state, the driver's schools can do the tests and the title company can issue the license, but you'd never know it to look at the DMV site. 

• Like 1

I really feel bad for the college students and young adults.  I graduated college in the 2000 recession.  I feel like this is so much worse than that, so much.  It was a huge effect on me and where I am now.  It sucked to be coming out of college and thinking your life was going to start in this professional way that you had been working for all those  years.  And then to have to search for jobs like crazy and take things that you could have been doing in high school.  It is not what these kids thought they were going to do.  And yes there are ways to make this story have a silver lining, but it also stings.  And some of these things will hurt them for years to come.  

I feel bad for the tweens and teens on up.  But missing homecoming or prom isn't a fun thing to experience, but jobs that they are  missing out on can effect them for a long time.  

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, katilac said:

I think those launching after college might see similar effects (as a group) as those who launched into the recession - it took about ten years for the earnings losses to dissipate. 

I don’t think they ever dissipated. I think they just accepted that’s how it is now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, katilac said:

Look up driver's schools and title companies in your area. In my state, the driver's schools can do the tests and the title company can issue the license, but you'd never know it to look at the DMV site. 

Not in my state. We did call the drivers school he used for drivers ed. They aren’t happy about it either. A lot of people are super ticked off that drivers schools or not enrolling at all bc of this. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Not in my state. We did call the drivers school he used for drivers ed. They aren’t happy about it either. A lot of people are super ticked off that drivers schools or not enrolling at all bc of this. 

That stinks. It's a great solution, and so. much. faster!! than the DMV ever was. 

DD started grad school last year and went to ONE class before things moved online.  Now, she is starting her third semester of classes (in a four semester program) and it is at least starting online.  She had some savings to get started, but was planning to get a job to help cover living expenses while in grad school.  She went from every place hiring the week she showed up on campus to no one hiring within a few weeks.  She is hoping to go on to a PhD program, so in one way, the timing isn't too bad for her, she likes to study and wants to be in school.  But, it means she is not meeting any of her professors and is at a loss of what to do for a thesis (and to get the types of relationships she wanted to build to prepare for a PhD program).  

But, she was lucky in that she was able to do several study abroad programs, an internship, and other interesting things as an undergrad.  Now, her younger brother looks and sees the vast difference.  After being homeschooled he was so looking forward to many of those college experiences.  He is going to leave the university feeling like he made no real friends, didn't really get to know his professors...

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

There is economic evidence that those who graduate during a recession have lower life-time earnings than those who don't 😞

Yup. This has been proven recently with gen x and the millenials. Now our kids will face the same. 😞

• Sad 2

My college senior spent his last week preparing for his dad’s funeral. We hate COVID here. My husband was diagnosed on what would have been the first day of the spring semester so quarantine, then I went into the hospital, then my husband died. At first I kept thinking how unfair this is to my son but I’ve come to realize that he has probably gotten more “education” in the last couple of weeks than he would have otherwise. But yes, these kids are getting the short end of many sticks! 

• Sad 14

11 minutes ago, boyzrus said:

My college senior spent his last week preparing for his dad’s funeral. We hate COVID here. My husband was diagnosed on what would have been the first day of the spring semester so quarantine, then I went into the hospital, then my husband died. At first I kept thinking how unfair this is to my son but I’ve come to realize that he has probably gotten more “education” in the last couple of weeks than he would have otherwise. But yes, these kids are getting the short end of many sticks! 

I'm so very sorry for your loss.  

• Like 2

Personally, I think the economy is going to come roaring back post-Covid.

History doesn't always repeat itself, but the last great pandemic of 1918 led directly into the booing economy of the roaring 20s.

And I have extremely high regard for the current administration and the groundwork they are putting in place.

I'm optimistic.

Bill

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, boyzrus said:

My deepest condolences.

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boyzrus said:

I am so sorry to hear this.  How tragic for your entire family.  This is a very tough education for your son, indeed.  

1 hour ago, boyzrus said:

I am so sorry this has been happening to your family.  And yes, the education of life 

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Personally, I think the economy is going to come roaring back post-Covid.

History doesn't always repeat itself, but the last great pandemic of 1918 led directly into the booing economy of the roaring 20s.

And I have extremely high regard for the current administration and the groundwork they are putting in place.

I'm optimistic.

Bill

It is entirely possible to have hope for a better future while recognizing the crap that is now.

I too am optimistic. 

On 2/13/2021 at 9:34 AM, boyzrus said:

I’m sorry to hear that.