Menu

UTI and early dementia

klmama

An elderly relative has been showing signs of short-term memory loss for the past couple of years.  According to her dc, she also tested positive for UTIs several times in that time period; they don't know if her infection cleared and returned, or if it never went away, despite treatment with antibiotics.  I know people here have brought up the connection between UTI and dementia, so I wanted to ask how your loved one's doctor handled treatment.  Anything I should encourage them to ask?  

Both my dh's and my own mother had memory loss plus UTI's.  I think UTI's can increase and cause memory loss in the elderly, for sure, but in our mothers' situations, they were truly experiencing memory loss as well -- apart from the UTI's.  That being said, a friend's mother's memory loss did improve after her UTI was treated.

What I've come to understand is that at that age, the brain can become so fragile that any disruption can affect thinking clearly.  Things like getting enough sleep, taking meds correctly, drinking enough water, treating UTI's, etc, can become more critical than ever.  Keeping up with all of that can make a difference, at least for awhile.

As far as knowing if the infection ever went away, repeat testing should show that.  If it's easier for her to do a urine sample in her own home, most clinics, I think, will send containers home with you if you'd rather collect it there.  I'd encourage her children to keep up with testing so they know if the infection has been treated effectively.

If they know the infection is gone, they can proactively treat it by giving her one tablet of D-Mannose daily for awhile.  It's a natural over-the-counter supplement that has been like a miracle pill for me, and others on this board as well.  I'd only use it under a doctor's approval though.  It's very effective in flushing out any e-coli bacteria, which is the main bacteria that causes UTI's.

• Like 3

It’s especially hard to get to the bottom of this if they are wearing adult diapers, as that can create an easy reinfection environment.  It’s tough because with partial incontinence you are kind of caught between a rock and a hard place on that issue.

I had someone close to me in that situation not have her urinary pain go away with 2 rounds of UTI treatment, and the doctor wanted her to take meds for a yeast infection but they make her dizzy so she wouldn’t.  And she was increasing confused, and then became very inactive, and then started to get short of breath from being so inactive and hunched all the ime.  But he assumed that she did take the drugs, and things kind of went downhill from there—finally he sent a visiting nurse to her home, who concluded that she might have Covid, and called 911 for an ambulance to take her to the hospital for tests.  They tested for Covid and all kinds of infections, and found out that she had not taken the pills for the yeast infection, and pushed her hard to do that, and then she got better and also less confused.  

• Thanks 1

I care for two elderly with dementia and intermittent UTIs.  One lives with us, so I’m very involved in her care.

UTIs definitely exacerbate dementia. And I believe can also mimic it, but both of my elders are diagnosed with dementia (apart from the UTIs).  It can even cause hallucinations, or has in one elder here.

We keep at home UTI tests here, and I check frequently for UTI - any time I see worsening symptoms.  If it looks even faintly suspicious we do a test from the doc’s office.  They will let us collect the specimen at home, these days.  We also check post-treatment to be sure it cleared. Sometimes a different antibiotic is needed, so it is good to check to make sure the infection is gone.

I’m going to go out on a limb here, and say that I’ve also noticed dehydration causing similar symptoms.  And, of course, can lead to a UTI.  So there’s a potential circle there.  I really push hydration these days.

I love D-Mannose, for myself, but have never given it to my elder.

• Like 1

MIL had dementia and when she had a uti it made the dementia symptoms worse. The hardest part is that she never had the typical pain, and with diapers there wasn't even the chance to look for cloudy urine. So when she’d start showing noticeably worse dementia symptoms we’d have her checked for uti and she always had one. Honestly I don’t know if it ever cleared up.  But yeah, it’s a nasty cycle. They stop drinking because they have trouble getting to the bathroom and don’t want to have accidents, then the lack of fluids seems to make uti appear more often, and that brings on worse dementia, which made it had for her to do things like walk or feed herself, which then brought on less water intake to keep from having to pee frequently. And then of course constipation also resulted. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

It’s especially hard to get to the bottom of this if they are wearing adult diapers, as that can create an easy reinfection environment.  It’s tough because with partial incontinence you are kind of caught between a rock and a hard place on that issue.

I had someone close to me in that situation not have her urinary pain go away with 2 rounds of UTI treatment, and the doctor wanted her to take meds for a yeast infection but they make her dizzy so she wouldn’t.  And she was increasing confused, and then became very inactive, and then started to get short of breath from being so inactive and hunched all the ime.  But he assumed that she did take the drugs, and things kind of went downhill from there—finally he sent a visiting nurse to her home, who concluded that she might have Covid, and called 911 for an ambulance to take her to the hospital for tests.  They tested for Covid and all kinds of infections, and found out that she had not taken the pills for the yeast infection, and pushed her hard to do that, and then she got better and also less confused.  

Yes; in my relatives case, incontinence products (and not regularly changing them), along with not drinking water, caused recurrent UTIs. It’s also important to note that they can be Candida-based infections and not bacterial.